Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Closed Thread

Old 13th August 2013, 17:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Bike? Ninja 650 vs Harley Superlow vs Duke 390 vs Bullet 500

Each machine has its own sweet spot of riding. Be it the mad acceleration or the low rpm cruising or the unbelievable grip and fun on the twisties.

Even the 350 and 500 are worlds apart when you know what i am talking about. There is a new world out there in every bike.

There are days when i love the mumbling beats of my 500 as i cruise at 40 or so while there are days when i love to hear the rumbling horse trying to whine the engine out and you know increasing rpm any further has no impact on output.

Speed is something that comes into men not by choice but by sheer adrenaline. Everyday i take my bike i promise myself i will cruise to work. I realize at the end of the day i broke the promise within the first few open space that presented me with an opportunity to enjoy the ride.

ALways enjoyed the guindy kathipara bend as you go from Tambaram to Saidapet. The red blooded male takes over irrespective of what promise i make at home

There is no wrong bike, but there is always the sweet spot for each bike one should find and enjoy. Thats what i believe and i am sure one bikes sweet spot will never be matched by another and i will enjoy both.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 17:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Agree on the twisties. And that top speed is simply a number. But its an important number all the same. Bikers are red blooded males (mostly). They love measuring contests. How fast you can go may not be as important as how you get there, but its not unimportant either. Otherwise the whole world would be riding Splendors on the ghats, beaming their heads off.
Important as it may be; I (personally) do not give it much weightage as opposed to how well you can carve corners. I would have seriously even considered a splendor on a ghat if I did not know 1st hand (was my 1st bike. Spent over 2 years with it. Mind blowing FE; was top priority for a college waala) how aneimic that thing is on planes. Not sure what would happen to it on the ghats.

Its probably the easiest thing to do on a bike. Open roads + an eager right hand should do it. How many can stop cleanly from those mind numbing speeds is a different discussion. The price some folks pay to win these "contests" is not worth it IMO; & definitely not on public roads. All that hot red blood once spilled on the road cools down real quick. I am all for speed; but 1st comes control. Irrespective of speeds; you need to be a rider in command; never a hapless passenger. Rest; its one's own life & choice. I am happier going through a corner at 50 as opposed to 90 in a straight line (Bullet and mostly my current skills do not allow for higher figures).

I am all for it in a closed environment (track) though. Now that; I am sure would be real fun!!!!!

Sorry for digressing Dkaile. Continue please

Edit - An excerpt from "Sport riding techniques" from Nick Ienatsch:

"Testosterone & sheer bravery receive too much emphasis in the motorcycling world. 'No fear' may work for bungee jumping , but not for riding a motorcycle on the street. Technique & concentration deserve much more credit"

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 13th August 2013 at 17:34.
Old 13th August 2013, 17:29   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Otherwise the whole world would be riding Splendors on the ghats, beaming their heads off.
+1 to that Doc, agree to your thoughts. Top Speed might not be important from the academic perspective but it does a throw lot of light on the capability of the machine which is important.

Suppose the mid-range is what I would be keen on depending on where i would ride. If you like the twisties/hilly regions then trust me a bike with strong mid range & well handling chassis will sure give you a wide grin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Some more free advice for you:
[*]Read up "Sport riding techniques" & "Proficient motorcycling" by David Hough[*]Hit the twisties . It is a 1000 times more satisfying than wringing the throttle. Dont know why but I find endless discussions on "my bike's top speed" hilarious
Sir,
With due respects, theoretical is fine but doing it in the nick of time when you are upfront on it is an entirely different situation. The best way to ride these superbikes is only when you are mentally free of any nagging thoughts. Keep yourself clear mentally before you get astride on that huge machine.

Regarding the twisties, am sure many people would prefer straights else we would not have had Drag Competitions at all.

End of the day To each his Own, so what is good for you might not essentially good for another

Yes I derive from satisfaction in taking those curves. And i do not get easily tired doing it for hours together.
Old 13th August 2013, 22:36   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all fellow TBhpians for their valuable inputs which finally made me think what I really want from my future bike. Do I really want to do twisties at 150kmph or do I want to ride sedately and royally around to my favourite hotspots? Do I need a very well built bike which will serve me well for 5~10 years with zero issues? Is the brand an iconic one which will bring a smile to my face on my every morning tennis ride? It was finally a close battle between the Ninja 650 (my first choice) and Harley Davidson Chrome Superlow in Black.

The test ride finally sealed it and finally the Harley ruled for the inspirational value it held in my mind since my teenage years. So finally rode into Capital Harley, Delhi and handed them the 50K as advance for booking the black Superlow. They were behind me to take the Iron in blue as they had 3 pieces ready for delivery but my mind was made for the Superlow. I wanted chrome even if I had to pay 1 lac extra. Here in my case it was 1 lac less than the blacked Irons. Delivery is supposedly by end of September. I also want to clarify some doubts about servicing costs of these Harleys. A typical service every 8K kms costs about 5~6K. They have promised me to get the bike serviced at my doorsteps at Meerut at a mere 1300/- extra as their visit charges which sounded quite reasonable as at max. I would get it serviced once a year. This doorstep service assurance sealed the deal in their favour as that was one major thorn in my mind guiding me towards the Ninja.

So here it is -

Name:  Harley Superlow 13082013_2.jpg
Views: 4167
Size:  389.8 KB

Name:  Harley Superlow 13082013_1.jpg
Views: 7013
Size:  406.4 KB

Name:  Harley Superlow 13082013_4.jpg
Views: 4703
Size:  387.4 KB

Here is me on the Blue Iron 883 which they were trying to push on me. My brother also liked the blackend look but somehow I wanted the Superlow 'look' even if I had to pay something extra for that. The same reason why the 48 didn't ring all the right bells.
Name:  Harley Iron 13082013_2.jpg
Views: 4490
Size:  381.9 KB

Name:  Harley Iron 13082013_3.jpg
Views: 15635
Size:  372.0 KB

Name:  Harley Iron 13082013_4.jpg
Views: 35146
Size:  401.3 KB

In the end I would like to reiterate that all bikes in my shortlist are special bikes in their own way. Choosing a bike is something very personal and something which may hold good for one may not suit the other due to his lifestyle, age, mindset and many other factors. I chose the one which clicked my mind the most and which would bring me happiness for years.

Cheers... and the ownership thread would follow.

Last edited by dkaile : 13th August 2013 at 22:43.
dkaile is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 22:40   #110
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the beautiful bike. Can you check if they can custom paint them in matte black. It will be a killer

HD has a cult and you are now part of it. Listen to your heart when it comes to taking decision and i am sure you will be happy.

HD are great bikes built to turn head around. And only advice from me is stick to your heart again when it comes to accessories and buy things you like rather than what the cult makes you buy
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 23:28   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Harley Davidson Chrome Superlow in Black.
Congrats on the bike, dkaile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
ALways enjoyed the guindy kathipara bend as you go from Tambaram to Saidapet. The red blooded male takes over irrespective of what promise i make at home .
Lol, just came back home after a post service test ride of my CBR 250. And I rode the above curve 3 times, every time with a wide grin.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 01:59   #112
BHPian

Quote:
The test ride finally sealed it and finally the Harley ruled for the inspirational value it held in my mind since my teenage years. So finally rode into Capital Harley, Delhi and handed them the 50K as advance for booking the black Superlow.
Congrats sir on the acquisition. I get tempted every time I visit this thread.

Given the level of detail in your earlier threads with the fortuner and superb, I sure am looking forward to your Harley ownership thread!
miharbe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 11:10   #113
Senior - BHPian

dkaile, congrats bro on the lovely bike. It does look yummy! Look forward to a nice ownership thread from you, which should clear a lot of doubts all non-Harley bikers have about Harleys. Looking forward to it.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 12:51   #114
BHPian

dkaile,
Congratulations on your new pick.Am very sure that you will enjoy your ride for many years to come plus. This thread was interesting for me as like you I am also in a dilemma as to what to buy .My choices were Ninja 300 or the Iron 883.Now I am waiting for your input of ownership before I decide to sink my money. Great going am happy for you.Happy riding .
Ramanjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 13:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dKaile, am sure the Superlow will not disappoint you. One of the things that i would do if i were to buy this
1) Screaming Eagles
2) Suspension

Apart from this I do not think the super low requires anything else apart from the usual fancy items.

Do invest in a proper gear and ride it hard. Take care and have fun mate.

PS: Thought the superlow was easier to buy than the Iron 883. Is it not true?
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 18:57   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Congrats dKaile, am sure the Superlow will not disappoint you. One of the things that i would do if i were to buy this
1) Screaming Eagles
2) Suspension

Thought the superlow was easier to buy than the Iron 883. Is it not true?
Yes, my Meerut HOGs are telling me to get at least the exhaust upgrades but I for one like a quite powerful bike rather than have the neighborhood aware of my presence. They advised me to go for the Vance & Hines ones which I have heard are even more screamers than the SE's. Suspension upgrade seems logical due to my build and weight and would like advise from Harley owners in this regards. Would the 13" Progressives suffice? and which model? Also which matching springs are required for the front forks?

Iron 883 was available off the shelf with them, maybe due to it being in a new blue colour which didn't appeal to me much. Superlow's delivery period was quoted as 1-1.5 month.
Old 14th August 2013, 19:51   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would the 13" Progressives suffice? and which model? Also which matching springs are required for the front forks?
Sir,
Rather than going in for progressive springs, do some home work on the Nightster Setup as i think they are a direct fit and does help you gain those much needed Ground Clearance. Progressive Shocks might be hard from what I have heard from my Harley friends so please do research on that.

Hopefully you are picking up a Black Superlow
Old 15th August 2013, 07:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

The Kawasaki is your best buy. I must warn you about a few things though and this is based on a colleagues ownership experience of the Ninja 250. I also believe it is a case of bad luck for my colleague. Spare part prices are very high. Getting spares in time is another issue.

I don't believe the asking price combined with an unending waiting period is worth a Royal Enfield today. Besides; I don't think they are any more reliable or better made than the one's they sold 20 years ago. Everything remains the same. After sales service is another headache. Trust me; you don't want to ever get in to this. There is a lot to like about a Royal Enfield but I'd give it a miss if I were in the market for a new motorcycle.

Harley Davidson is in a league of its own. Triumphs, Indians and whatever else may come but there is nothing to beat the noise of an American V angle engine, especially when you have a screamin eagle exhaust system.

I spoke too late. Congratulations on your new motorcycle.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 15th August 2013 at 07:58.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 20:15   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The test ride finally sealed it and finally the Harley ruled for the inspirational value it held in my mind since my teenage years.
Heartiest congrats! That big grin shows just how happy you are with the big cruiser. Wish you all the best.

And yes; the service cost (especially doorstep option) seems quite reasonable. Looking forward to getting the many myths (especially the Hog being a money pit) being blown to smithereens.

And do post some pics of your riding gear whenever possible.

PS - I personally like the blue bike. Looks very different and the shade is quite unique.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 22:06   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

dkaile ; atlast Heart won I guess. Congrats.

Too in the same dilemma but HD already out from list coz its more costlier and one will not stop with a HD buy; accessories & modification will happen now and then.

Hope to see your ownership review too very soon.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread