Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th October 2013, 08:49   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
After many days of not riding, completed an important milestone - Will ride harder and more in the coming days! Guess everyone is busy having fun with their Dukes!
Good show Sriram. I am about half way there!
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 17:52   #197
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

Good stuff Sriram, am really glad to see you updating this thread so regularly (wink wink , remember the R15 thread Lol ) . This has motivated me to start using the bike more often, hence, fridays have been christened as Ninja days, riding to work now and it feels AWESOME.

Congratulations on the 1K.

Last edited by sammyboy : 18th October 2013 at 17:54.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2013, 18:20   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Good stuff Sriram, am really glad to see you updating this thread so regularly (wink wink , remember the R15 thread Lol ) . This has motivated me to start using the bike more often, hence, fridays have been christened as Ninja days, riding to work now and it feels AWESOME.

Congratulations on the 1K.
Good to hear that, @sammyboy - My R15 thread sure was a disaster

Keep riding! May be we can ride together sometime (after planning for 3 years!)
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 10:30   #199
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sriram,

Time for an update man? Post your last 20 days fun
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 13:13   #200
Senior - BHPian

Sriram,

On the sound - are you happy with the way 390 sounds ?

Recently was in Buddh International for the India GP. This was the first time I saw 390 personally. Couple of Marshalls were puttering around in their 390s.

To be honest at idle speed and on low rev scenarios the sound was not impressive at all. I thought it was a 200 when I saw it from a distance.

I am sure with after market cans it the acoustics can be modded.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 15:36   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sriram,

Recently was in Buddh International for the India GP. This was the first time I saw 390 personally. Couple of Marshalls were puttering around in their 390s.

To be honest at idle speed and on low rev scenarios the sound was not impressive at all. I thought it was a 200 when I saw it from a distance.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
To me, when you are puttering, it sounds almost exactly like a Yezdi, it is definately much deeper than a 200... but when you rev it above 7.5KRpm, it sounds like nothing else
Cyrus_the_virus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 16:47   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Sriram, On the sound - are you happy with the way 390 sounds ?
Although addressed to Sriram as a Duke owner myself thought I will reply as well. Yes at low revs and while puttering around although better than the 200s sound, its still not impressive at all. But once you move up the gears into the higher revs then the exhaust note gets louder with more bass and is pretty good for a single

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th November 2013 at 12:21.
hsub is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 21:58   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Sriram,

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Ram-Sir,
I am extremely pleased with 390's sound - It sounds raw but not loud. I like the primality of Duke, and even the wildness is understated (I guess I should be in love with the machine!)

The sound does get better with revvs though. I will explore an aftermarket though. Riding @niranjanrvce's Ninja with M5 exhaust and his post on how lorries give way I am tempted to upgrade the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus_the_virus View Post
To me, when you are puttering, it sounds almost exactly like a Yezdi, it is definately much deeper than a 200... but when you rev it above 7.5KRpm, it sounds like nothing else
Good observation! It sounds awesome after 7K range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
Although addressed to Sriram as a Duke owner myself thought I will reply as well. Yes at low revs and while puttering around although better than the 200s sound, its still not impressive at all. But once you move up the gears into the higher revs then the exhaust note gets louder with more bass and is pretty good for a single
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Hey Sriram,

Time for an update man? Post your last 20 days fun
Ha ha - Sorry about the delay, friend! I was sucked into a vortex of extreme work.

I have been riding Duke to and from office, and having every bit of fun whenever the opportunity presents. I am very happy that I chose 390 for its lightness, madness, loudness and all its many other positive aspects. This is definitely a long-term relationship!

But, if some one asks me if there are minor cribs, I'd list them as below:
1. Engine Kill Switch - Why give a switch which does a full Power On Self Test (POST) everytime you use it? The idea of the Engine Kill is to do exactly that - Kill the engine (and not the entire electronics). Feels terribly to see that all the checks happen everytime the engine kill is used (I don't mind the 'Ready to Race' coming up!)

2. Range - After my last two rides, I am literally scared of going far. That's probably because I am too scared of bad quality fuel. Anyway, I think I should overcome this fear, because no decent long trip can be done in a vehicle which has 200 kms range. If they were indeed changing the fuel tank, why make it a meager 11.5 from 11? They should have gone the distance and made it 15/16 l

3. Engine gets too hot - I have spent a lot of time with a variety of bikes. But no where have I seen a bike that breaches 10 bars in a short run in bad traffic. To be fair, I have not seen it go as hot how much ever I push it in highways. A patch of terrible traffic (ala Nagawara junction, Bangalore) makes the Duchess overreact. The following image was from my ride last weekend (to Mekhri circle and back, a trip of about 20 kms roundrip) - I have never seen my CBR250R move away from its 3 bars in Heat Guage EVER, nor in my Hyosung.

My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3624.jpg

Other points:
1. I almost always fill the fuel in Shell. This is because I am quite confident about the quality of the fuel, and more importantly, the quantity. I am tired of the jokers who will make a quick buck at the first opportunity you see somewhere else.

2. Shell super had no effect on the bike. Same FE as normal Shell.

3. FE was 22.5 kmpl last refill. I almost always revv it high (not to redline) before shifting gears. And been driving in incredibly bad traffic in Bangalore. (No highway rides in that last run) - Just started measuring FE for fun purposes.

4. Took Hyosung out recently. The bike feels much much larger, heavy after my long stint with 390. However, the heaviness does lead to stability in highways. While 390 feels like a fighter jet, the Hyosung gives a feeling of a Boing 737. Ride is probably a tad better in the Hyosung GT650N.

5. My ODO reads 1600 kms. Hoping to take the bike for a long ride sometime soon.
Old 18th November 2013, 22:23   #204
BHPian

Are you sure the fan is working Sriram? Even I ride to work and ride in peak hour maddening traffic but never ever has the MID displayed hot coolant temperature.
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 00:04   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Are you sure the fan is working Sriram? Even I ride to work and ride in peak hour maddening traffic but never ever has the MID displayed hot coolant temperature.
I hear it working once in a while - But, may be time to check. Thanks!
Old 19th November 2013, 14:31   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Ram-Sir,

But, if some one asks me if there are minor cribs, I'd list them as below:
1. Engine Kill Switch - Why give a switch which does a full Power On Self Test (POST) everytime you use it? The idea of the Engine Kill is to do exactly that - Kill the engine (and not the entire electronics). Feels terribly to see that all the checks happen everytime the engine kill is used (I don't mind the 'Ready to Race' coming up!)
Ram- if i read the owner's manual correctly, engine kill switch is actually a "emergency off switch" and should be used only in an emergency. For regular switch off, use key. (i think page 54). Also, i have noticed that if you avoid using emergency off switch, even warm/hot engine fires up in first try (no need for prolonged starter operation). Just my observations.
D-nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:43   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-nav View Post
Ram- if i read the owner's manual correctly, engine kill switch is actually a "emergency off switch" and should be used only in an emergency. For regular switch off, use key. (i think page 54). Also, i have noticed that if you avoid using emergency off switch, even warm/hot engine fires up in first try (no need for prolonged starter operation). Just my observations.

@D-Nav, for almost every bike I have used from 2000, I always use the engine kill switch in traffic signals and not use the key. When CBR150R was launched, it was criticized because, it did not have an engine kill switch. This is because, you had to run the software check on all components whenever the bike is switched off with the key and turned on.

I haven't looked at Duke's documentation - I'll check it out too. Thanks for pointing out.
Old 27th November 2013, 09:47   #208

Quote:
Ram-Sir,

Engine gets too hot - I have spent a lot of time with a variety of bikes. But no where have I seen a bike that breaches 10 bars in a short run in bad traffic. To be fair, I have not seen it go as hot how much ever I push it in highways. A patch of terrible traffic (ala Nagawara junction, Bangalore) makes the Duchess overreact. The following image was from my ride last weekend (to Mekhri circle and back, a trip of about 20 kms roundrip) - I have never seen my CBR250R move away from its 3 bars in Heat Guage EVER, nor in my Hyosung.
I had the same problem. If i rode in traffic for more than 5 mins, the temp gauge immediately used to show 11 bars with the High Coolant Temperature warning on the MID. If I continued to ride it in traffic, it used to go up till 13 bars, with the result that I've had to wait at the side of the road plenty of times.

When I wen't for the first service, the technician tested the fan and other aspects thoroughly. He also kept the headlight as well as an indicator on the whole time.

His final diagnosis was that there was a possibility that the fan was not getting enough power to restart once it cut off between 9-11 kmph. He had to nudge it with a screwdriver a couple of times for it to start. Probable reason was some issue with the fan wiring.

Got the fan replaced under warranty. All good now. Purposely rode in traffic on the way back from the SVC to see if all was good. Temp gauge never went beyond 9 bars
KaushikN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:34   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaushikN View Post
His final diagnosis was that there was a possibility that the fan was not getting enough power to restart once it cut off between 9-11 kmph. He had to nudge it with a screwdriver a couple of times for it to start. Probable reason was some issue with the fan wiring.
Hmm....Bajaj was always known for shoddy work. I had a very bad experience with them in the early '90s and never ever went near them again.

Looks like things have not changed much after all these years! And that too on a premium, top of the line product!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 23:49   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaushikN View Post

Got the fan replaced under warranty. All good now. Purposely rode in traffic on the way back from the SVC to see if all was good. Temp gauge never went beyond 9 bars
Thanks a ton, for sharing this Kaushik! Will check with the KTM guys soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Hmm....Bajaj was always known for shoddy work. I had a very bad experience with them in the early '90s and never ever went near them again.

Looks like things have not changed much after all these years! And that too on a premium, top of the line product!
Totally agree! I expected a higher level of quality. But, I am still ready to forgive them for the bike this turned out to be (at this price :-) )