Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd December 2013, 00:45   #211
BHPian

Default Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

I got mine today and the thing I noticed is how stiffly sprung it is. I am wondering if this bike is any good for Bangalore roads and traffic, it really is that stiff. I dont think the CBR or the R15 are anywhere near this stiff, are they? Absolutely need excellent surfaces to exploit the potential, so nice open roads are imperative. It seems no compromises have been made to address the issue of terrirble roads here in Bangalore and elsewhere.

The idea of using it on the daily commute is pretty much dead, especially when the alternative is a ZMA(which I was planning to sell, that isnt going to happen now). The ZMA stays because in many ways it is the anti-thesis of the 390, and it just plain works on the potholed mess that Bangalore roads have become.

I get the sense there is quite bit of a learning curve with the 390, quite a bit of getting used to at the very least. No, it isnt intimidating or anything, infact I found it quite docile. The gearbox is stiff and quite clunky right now, I am hoping it gets better. I don't have a problem with the clutch, just need to make sure the revs are up before letting the clutch in.

My first impressions are bit of a mixed bag, let me know what you think.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 12:28   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
I got mine today and the thing I noticed is how stiffly sprung it is. I am wondering if this bike is any good for Bangalore roads and traffic, it really is that stiff.
Yes KTMs are setup tight . If you would ride Duke 200 , you would literally run away . D390 is softer compared to D200 . By default the rear is set to 4th position , try to put that in 2 position , that would soften the rear .Go down all the way to zero depending on how soft you want .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 00:54   #213
BHPian

Quote:
I got mine today and the thing I noticed is how stiffly sprung it is. I am wondering if this bike is any good for Bangalore roads and traffic, it really is that stiff. I dont think the CBR or the R15 are anywhere near this stiff, are they? Absolutely need excellent surfaces to exploit the potential, so nice open roads are imperative. It seems no compromises have been made to address the issue of terrirble roads here in Bangalore and elsewhere.
It is indeed stiff! But not as bad as I had originally imagined it would be. So, I am happy :-) Please don't compare it with R15/Karizma. Karizma has an amazing ride quality.

Quote:
The idea of using it on the daily commute is pretty much dead, especially when the alternative is a ZMA(which I was planning to sell, that isnt going to happen now). The ZMA stays because in many ways it is the anti-thesis of the 390, and it just plain works on the potholed mess that Bangalore roads have become.
I do quite the opposite. I don't take any of my cars or the Hyosung GT650N after I got the 390. My commute is totally on 390, and not on the best roads either. The bike is super light, and is fun even if you get short distance open spaces. It simply darts. Karizma glides on potholes though :-)

Quote:
I get the sense there is quite bit of a learning curve with the 390, quite a bit of getting used to at the very least. No, it isnt intimidating or anything, infact I found it quite docile. The gearbox is stiff and quite clunky right now, I am hoping it gets better. I don't have a problem with the clutch, just need to make sure the revs are up before letting the clutch in.
I am sure you'll feel the difference when you go back to the ZMA after riding 390 for a while. Are you shifting gears too soon? The 390 is as sprightly as a young horse otherwise.
[/quote]

Quote:
My first impressions are bit of a mixed bag, let me know what you think.
I bet you'll fall in love with it when the roads are open, and the curves are around. Ironically, one of the ads for Karizma was 'When the open roads call, Answer!' - I think 390 fits the bill better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Yes KTMs are setup tight . If you would ride Duke 200 , you would literally run away . D390 is softer compared to D200 . By default the rear is set to 4th position , try to put that in 2 position , that would soften the rear .Go down all the way to zero depending on how soft you want .
+1
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 10:47   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I am going to start from 0. Also check the air pressure in the front wheel as some others have indicated the showroom guys have a tendency to over-inflate. Gotta try and make it a bit easier to live with as a daily driver, although I have to admit I am not overly hopeful. It is the very definition of hard-core, it would be against the grain if it got too comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
It is indeed stiff! But not as bad as I had originally imagined it would be. So, I am happy :-) Please don't compare it with R15/Karizma. Karizma has an amazing ride quality.

I do quite the opposite. I don't take any of my cars or the Hyosung GT650N after I got the 390. My commute is totally on 390, and not on the best roads either. The bike is super light, and is fun even if you get short distance open spaces. It simply darts. Karizma glides on potholes though :-)

I am sure you'll feel the difference when you go back to the ZMA after riding 390 for a while. Are you shifting gears too soon? The 390 is as sprightly as a young horse otherwise.

I bet you'll fall in love with it when the roads are open, and the curves are around. Ironically, one of the ads for Karizma was 'When the open roads call, Answer!' - I think 390 fits the bill better.

+1[/quote]

No question, it will shine on the open road. If the roads in my commute were anywhere near normal, I wouldn't be complaining so much. The setup is quite uncompromising really and that is something people ought to know and understand what that really means. It is affordable enough to be mainstream but it isn't, it is quite hard core. If anyone is expecting something warm, inviting and user-friendly like a Honda, I say forget it.

The shift quality is quite poor if done early, I am revving to 5k+ and it gets better. I blip the throttle while downshifting, as the revs drop like a stone the moment you close the throttle. I probably need to downshift in sync with the thottle closing. No complaints with the powertrain, its the stiff ride combined with the bad roads on my commute that is causing me grief. Aside from the ride, there is a certain way to ride this thing and I am still kinda figuring it out. Bike and biker both going through the run-in. This ain't no bike for old men.

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 4th December 2013 at 10:50.
Beast_of_Burden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 13:54   #215
BHPian

Quote:
It is the very definition of hard-core, it would be against the grain if it got too comfy.

It is affordable enough to be mainstream but it isn't, it is quite hard core. If anyone is expecting something warm, inviting and user-friendly like a Honda, I say forget it.

there is a certain way to ride this thing and I am still kinda figuring it out. Bike and biker both going through the run-in. This ain't no bike for old men.
You have answered most of your own question on why it's been a mixed bag for you so far.
The KTMs are nothing like the typical commuters we have seen so far. So it's a small mindset adjustment till the joys of brutal acceleration and stuck-to-the-ground handling overrule all other sensations.

Revv the bike hard, use that gorgeous engine braking often, trust the chassis and tyres - they will show you the world from angles you hadn't imagined, let the power build up and braking sink into your muscle memory and then you will start to love it like nothing else.
I don't know about old men - but the little boy in you made you buy the bike - let him out and let him have fun.

PS: Unless the potholes are real big, power through them on a low gear rather than slow to a stop - less the braking on bad roads, lesser will be the discomfort you go through. I commute on some of the worst roads in Bangalore (Garudacharpalya, Challghatta back roads for those who know) and have some of the best fun on the Duke there.

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 4th December 2013 at 13:58. Reason: Added note
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 17:53   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
PS: Unless the potholes are real big, power through them on a low gear rather than slow to a stop - less the braking on bad roads, lesser will be the discomfort you go through. I commute on some of the worst roads in Bangalore (Garudacharpalya, Challghatta back roads for those who know) and have some of the best fun on the Duke there.
Don't underestimate the potholes. Keep an eye and ear out for them.
My bike is currently stationed in the workshop due to bent alloys on both the ends. I happened to pass over a pothole when I was trailing a bus at 60kmph and the next moment it was a loud awakening for me. Parked the bike by the side and I see the rear alloy slightly opened. Since I did not lose any pressure from the tyre, managed to drive the bike to the SVC. On closer inspection, the front alloy was also found bent at a place, but was marginal. Estimated damages are in the region in excess of 10K.
An indica trailing me also went into the pothole and its steel rims were also bent like a banana.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 18:09   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Don't underestimate the potholes. Keep an eye and ear out for them.
My bike is currently stationed in the workshop due to bent alloys on both the ends. I happened to pass over a pothole when I was trailing a bus at 60kmph and the next moment it was a loud awakening for me. Parked the bike by the side and I see the rear alloy slightly opened. Since I did not lose any pressure from the tyre, managed to drive the bike to the SVC. On closer inspection, the front alloy was also found bent at a place, but was marginal. Estimated damages are in the region in excess of 10K.
An indica trailing me also went into the pothole and its steel rims were also bent like a banana.
Uday where was this pothole exactly? Does the A.S.S have alloys in stock?
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 18:24   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Estimated damages are in the region in excess of 10K.
I read somewhere each alloy cost around 4.5K. And you are saying only one is bent enough to not hold air. So why 10K ?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 18:24   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

Uday where was this pothole exactly? Does the A.S.S have alloys in stock?
This was on Bannerghata road towards JP nagar just as you come up from the Jayadeva underpasses. I was trailing a Volvo and lo there it was. I did not have time to react and next moment the damage was done.
Yes KTM Mekhri circle had both in stock. Price quoted was app 4k+ for the front and 5k+for the rear one. Add labour and taxes goed up to 10k

Last edited by unk9ja : 4th December 2013 at 18:28.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 22:50   #220
BHPian

Quote:

This was on Bannerghata road towards JP nagar just as you come up from the Jayadeva underpasses. I was trailing a Volvo and lo there it was. I did not have time to react and next moment the damage was done.
Yes KTM Mekhri circle had both in stock. Price quoted was app 4k+ for the front and 5k+for the rear one. Add labour and taxes goed up to 10k
A friend who owns a 200 had a similar experience. Both wheels cracked and had to be replaced. Saving grace is alloys cost less than the tires at least in the case of the 390.
Old 4th December 2013, 23:40   #221
BHPian

Quote:
No question, it will shine on the open road. If the roads in my commute were anywhere near normal, I wouldn't be complaining so much. The setup is quite uncompromising really and that is something people ought to know and understand what that really means. It is affordable enough to be mainstream but it isn't, it is quite hard core. If anyone is expecting something warm, inviting and user-friendly like a Honda, I say forget it.

The shift quality is quite poor if done early, I am revving to 5k+ and it gets better. I blip the throttle while downshifting, as the revs drop like a stone the moment you close the throttle. I probably need to downshift in sync with the thottle closing. No complaints with the powertrain, its the stiff ride combined with the bad roads on my commute that is causing me grief. Aside from the ride, there is a certain way to ride this thing and I am still kinda figuring it out. Bike and biker both going through the run-in. This ain't no bike for old men.
I am 49 touching 50 Yrs and I agree with you, this ain't no bike for old men
I also agree when you say that there is a certain way to ride this thing and with 3000 Km in one month ( tomorrow 5th Dec, my Duke 390 will be one month old) I am still figuring it out

It is not mainstream and it is hardcore. Somewhere in other thread I had mentioned that I get fatigued very soon while riding this bike. The clutch is hard but Goa has got amazing roads, so I am saved from the traffic jams and potholes and most of the time I hold her at 70-80 speed with some occasional bursts up to 120 and rarely have I to crawl in 1st and 2nd gears. So I really understand how it is for you guys to saddle upon a rock hard seat in extremely tight traffic in potholed roads sucking in the smoke of zillion vehicles fuming around. I appreciate all your riding skills.

The things that I wish it were better.

1. The granite seat
2. I do not like the stock exhaust note. ( personal opinion)
3. Fuel tank capacity is a constant concern. I filled her to brim yesterday and the gauge is already down to a quarter.
4. Clutch is still hard
5. I have lot of vibes in hands and legs at lower rpms, I mean I get to shift to 6th as early as 50 Kmph and the vibes remain all the way till I hit 3 digits then it subsides somewhat.
6. I lean forward on the bike, and all my weight is transferred to my palms and my palms and shoulder hurts after a while. Sometime I forget to carry my gloves and the ache is too much. So I tend to correct my riding position but still haven't got it right. This is one area where I want to work upon most.
7. The digital console is erratic sometimes and during standstill the idling rpm is erratic.
8. the clunky gear shift.

having said that I love the sheer acceleration, the flickability, the awesome braking power that I got to test on a couple of occasion and the ability to make short work of the distances. Having said that, I can live with all my earlier concerns for the sheer joy and smile this bike brings to me everytime I take her for a spin.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 02:02   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post

I am 49 touching 50 Yrs and I agree with you, this ain't no bike for old men
I also agree when you say that there is a certain way to ride this thing and with 3000 Km in one month ( tomorrow 5th Dec, my Duke 390 will be one month old) I am still figuring it out

It is not mainstream and it is hardcore. Somewhere in other thread I had mentioned that I get fatigued very soon while riding this bike. The clutch is hard but Goa has got amazing roads, so I am saved from the traffic jams and potholes and most of the time I hold her at 70-80 speed with some occasional bursts up to 120 and rarely have I to crawl in 1st and 2nd gears. So I really understand how it is for you guys to saddle upon a rock hard seat in extremely tight traffic in potholed roads sucking in the smoke of zillion vehicles fuming around. I appreciate all your riding skills.

The things that I wish it were better.

1. The granite seat
2. I do not like the stock exhaust note. ( personal opinion)
3. Fuel tank capacity is a constant concern. I filled her to brim yesterday and the gauge is already down to a quarter.
4. Clutch is still hard
5. I have lot of vibes in hands and legs at lower rpms, I mean I get to shift to 6th as early as 50 Kmph and the vibes remain all the way till I hit 3 digits then it subsides somewhat.
6. I lean forward on the bike, and all my weight is transferred to my palms and my palms and shoulder hurts after a while. Sometime I forget to carry my gloves and the ache is too much. So I tend to correct my riding position but still haven't got it right. This is one area where I want to work upon most.
7. The digital console is erratic sometimes and during standstill the idling rpm is erratic.
8. the clunky gear shift.

having said that I love the sheer acceleration, the flickability, the awesome braking power that I got to test on a couple of occasion and the ability to make short work of the distances. Having said that, I can live with all my earlier concerns for the sheer joy and smile this bike brings to me everytime I take her for a spin.
Love your post, echoes most of my own experience with it. For someone pushing 50 you must be remarkably fit. You seem to have the roads to enjoy this bike to the fullest, really envious. The clutch isn't all that bad, my hand would occasionally cramp when riding a CI500 while on this very same commute. This is nowhere near as bad. I have learnt a few things already, at least that is what I think anyway.

1. Adjusted the rear suspension to the 2nd notch and it is bit more comfy. The front however is unforgiving as ever. Tomorrow I am checking the tire pressure.
2. The seating ergos are stressing my upper back and problem is exacerbated by the backpack. Have to find a way to get it off my back.
3. One way to deal with the stiff front is to get off the seat and stand momentarily and use your legs as suspension. But this is constrained by the aforesaid backpack. Second reason to lose that backpack.
4. Knowing how hard core it is and its dynamic ability, one would have to move quite a bit in the seat to jive with the Duke. Third reason to lose that backpack.
5. Gearbox clunky however upshifting at 5k helps, but sometimes it is smooth and other times it isn't. Blipping throttle right before upshifts seems to smooth transition. Alas, there seems no hope from 1st to 2nd. As I noted there is a certain way to ride this thing, still figuring out.

As everyone knows this bike has very tall gearing, 50 in 6th will cause massive vibrations. I would urge to you remain in 4th and 5th for a wider range of speeds. I shift to 6th only at 80, in fact the shift indicator is showroom set to 5k and I am using that to shift up. This means I get to see 6th just a couple of times on my return commute around midnight. Pity.

It is a great bike with a very narrow focus, I get that. I still question if a street bike needs to be this stiffly sprung to be entertaining. Not a fan of weekend rides, but my curiosity is piqued, gotta experience the Duke under more favorable conditions.
Old 6th December 2013, 02:02   #223
BHPian

Guys, need info. which bike RVM stem is longest that is available in Indian market? I have seen avenger RVM stems to be quite long? any other RVM stems longer than that?
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 19:00   #224
BHPian

The air pressure in the front tire was indeed high at 35 as I had suspected, lowering it to 26 has improved the ride slightly. Took it out for a spin over the weekend on Hosur road, smooth tarmac and that is where the bike shines. It feels like it is loafing at a 100. As a cornering tool, it is utterly brilliant.

It is out of its element on Bangalore's terrible traffic and poor roads. To be really enjoyed, it needs well-surfaced open roads to flex its power band and exploit the wonderful chassis and brakes. Just a tad disappointed that I wont be using it on my daily commute, but I will have a nice excuse to visit my bro more often in Attibele
Old 13th December 2013, 22:51   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Guys, need info. which bike RVM stem is longest that is available in Indian market? I have seen avenger RVM stems to be quite long? any other RVM stems longer than that?
I am not the best guy to answer this - Running my 390 bone stock, and not planning to change anything.

Quote:
The air pressure in the front tire was indeed high at 35 as I had suspected, lowering it to 26 has improved the ride slightly. Took it out for a spin over the weekend on Hosur road, smooth tarmac and that is where the bike shines. It feels like it is loafing at a 100. As a cornering tool, it is utterly brilliant.

It is out of its element on Bangalore's terrible traffic and poor roads. To be really enjoyed, it needs well-surfaced open roads to flex its power band and exploit the wonderful chassis and brakes. Just a tad disappointed that I wont be using it on my daily commute, but I will have a nice excuse to visit my bro more often in Attibele
I set the front to 26 and rear to 32 - The ride feels better now.

The roads in Bangalore do no justice to the beauty. As niranjan pointed out, any decent patch of open space is enough to do paisa vasool :-)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote