Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 5th September 2013, 22:39   #16
BHPian

Default Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho
Congratulations on the bike mate! The first 390 on Team BHP Do put in more photographs and a good ride review.
Thanks! Your duke thread is an inspiration! Will put in pics and ride report as soon as I get back to Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Congratulations Mr. Iyer for being the first lucky one to own this beast.

Loved the way you have jotted your experience and journey of owing different bike.

Best of luck and do ride safely as you try to explore the beast more in coming days, also do share your feedback on the bike as you move along this journey.
Thanks a lot! Glad you liked the story! I thought I was digressing a lot. I'll sure share my feedback of the Duke 390! Right now, I can't wait to get back to Bangalore on Sunday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian View Post
Firstly, Congratulations

You've ridden it all which makes your review a worthy subscribe, please continue this thread as an ownership review with a touch of comparative riding experiences.
Thanks! Each of my ride is so different! I might appear that I am against my CBR250R, but it is gem of a bike within the city. Properly fast 250cc bike that can be fully utilized within city. Hyosung is old style, but brutal. R15 is high revving. I am yet to figure out how mental 390 is! I will sure share how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Congrats Sriram,

I am also waiting for my KTM 390. Hope will get it delivered by next week.

Enjoy and Ride Safe
Thanks! Glad to know you must be getting the 390 in a week. The wait must be agonizing though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Congratulations mate, wish you much more miles of happiness. A bit surprised with the Hyosung, any reason why you overlooked the Ninja 650 for the GT? Apologies for going OT.

Are you planning to replace the knuckle guards with acerbis?
Thanks a lot! Ninja had a long waiting time! Thats one of the main reasons for overlooking it. GT's days in my garage is counted. I have too many naked / touring bikes. Regarding the knuckle guards I have not yet decided. Power-parts catalogue is awesome! Will dig in there first for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Congrats on picking up everyday man's superbike.

Surely in Indian traffic conditions a 390 will be faster than a Hayabusa!

Also amazing that you have owned pretty much all the iconic bikes to hit the Indian market

Do you still have the others?
I have the CBR250R and GT650N apart from the 390. Just gave my R15 to a friend. I am sure having a lot of fun with my bikes. Prefer them over food and water (he he)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Sri Ram

Congratulations of the 390 and wish you many many trouble free miles (or kilometers) ahead.

You had mentioned that you haven't got astride a RD 350 yet and in that its really a plus point, as you would in your own space astride 390 with a clear mind and no need to reason/justify either way.

Will be watching this thread with interest as who knows I may be in the market for a reliable tourer in India (specially from the POV of service). As some one correctly said for me its "too many roads to travel and so less time".

Enjoy the ride and please take time out to put some feed-back here.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks Ram! 350 is one bike I miss riding. Never got to get hands on them. As you pointed out I'll not have RD350 bias while reviewing the 390!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Congrats Sriram!

This is a fantastic addition to your garage. Maybe you can go in detail on the engine/handling/highway/city comparison between the 390 and the GT650N? Once you have had the chance to exploit the 390 fully ofcourse.

PS: Seeing an ownership thread already makes the wait for delivery pretty much unbearable!
The wait for 390 is truly tough! Esp when tons of fun is waiting in the future to be accessed! I'll surely compare 390 with the GT650N. So far I found the heat from the engine to be same

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 5th September 2013 at 22:57.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 09:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations. And I agree with a previous comment that it is a everyday mans bike. A perfect combination of enough power to please all senses and lightweight maneuverability.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 11:38   #18
BHPian

Congrats on the 390 Sriram, great to hear about your experience with bikes since the early days.

Keep Revvin'
Parth

P.S - I'm not too sure, but are you the Sriram at UMA? If you are my name might ring a bell (Our Azure discussion in February and the GoCloud event in March). The world is surely a small place
Parth46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 11:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
You had mentioned that you haven't got astride a RD 350 yet and in that its really a plus point, as you would in your own space astride 390 with a clear mind and no need to reason/justify either way.
+1 to that Ram Sir,
Honestly have never been a fan of comparing the RD with the KTM. They are of different ages and come with different technology. However we need to keep in mind that RD came with quite a lot of ground breaking technology for its time, which somehow I feel the KTM is something short of. The only promising thing from the KTM is its ease of use and the ABS which comes along side.

Nevertheless, KTM is a well packaged product and will give the buyer no regrets if he makes the decision to go for it.

Would be keenly watching this thread as Mr Sriram Iyer is mentioning of heat issues. Guess too much of heat generated might not be good for the engine longevity.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 12:14   #20
BHPian

Thank you for this short and wonderful report.

I am currently monetarily not in a position to get this fantastic machine but your write up just makes it difficult to control thy urges.

The comparo across different life points an different motorcycles also brings up my own nostalgic days and congratulations for the 390 and 690. You got one enviable garage and long may it continue.
vantheman5211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 13:58   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on the 390! You are truly a motorcycle afficando! A quick question; I have a Royal Enfield 350 and am looking to add a sportsbike to my garage. (Maybe the KTM 200 or the 390). Since this is going to be probably my last sportsbike (if not the last, atleast my second last for a long long time to come), which one will you recommend; the 200 or the 390? The reason i ask this is because you said the 200 is more mental, more hyper; i like that in a motorcycle. But then the 390 has more power. So which one would you suggest?

Just as a reference; I have owned a 18 bhp Pulsar 180 and a 15 bhp LML Graptor in the past; so i am quite used to 18-20 bhp motorcycles.
rahul4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 14:43   #22
BHPian

Hearty congratulations on the 390 man! Crisp and well written initial report. Now as you ride more and get acquainted with the bike, many of us would be expecting regular updates.

Having booked the bike as soon as the bookings started in Mangalore, the wait has been agonizingly long. But it is heartening to know that deliveries have begun. Mangalore being a tier 2 city and total bookings being around 15, I guess it will be still a month before deliveries begin. Till then, your reports would be the soothing factor!
sudhirbhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 14:45   #23
BHPian

Sriram, after reading your review yesterday and after reading a lot of good things about the duke earlier, I decided to check out what's so special about the bike.

For me, it just looked a bigger version of Pulsar and I was assuming it to be just another bike. The words like mental, hyper triggered me to ride my friend's Duke 200 yesterday.

It was 11pm, got the keys from my friend, went to the parking lot and started the machine. It asked, "Ready to race"?. I was like "WTH, the bike is small and the engine capacity isn't big either!!!". Only to realize in a few minutes that I was so damn wrong.

As others have already told, this bike is Mental, Hyper and a Hooligan. I couldn't describe the experience in words. May be there could be many other bikes which can give similar or better experience. But, after riding the Pulsars, Karizmas and Thunderbirds a few years back, yesterday's ride was nothing short of a Mad Adrenaline Rush experience.

At the end of the onward ride, I thought that no matter what I'm gonna buy a sports bike like Duke or a Duke. But at the end of the return ride, my instincts kept telling me, "you will definitely die in the bike no matter what protective gears you wear".

Probably couple of years down the line when I become more controlled over my instincts, I will definitely buy a SB. But the Duke yesterday re-ignited the Biking fire again!

A Man's world is amazing!!

P.S: Felt the bike a little small for me at 6'3" and 90Kg

Last edited by CliffHanger : 6th September 2013 at 14:48.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 17:12   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Many congratulations. And I agree with a previous comment that it is a everyday mans bike. A perfect combination of enough power to please all senses and lightweight maneuverability.
Thanks! The lightweight was the clincher for me. The GT650N gives a lot of thrills, but is a terrible bike in the city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Congrats on the 390 Sriram, great to hear about your experience with bikes since the early days.

Keep Revvin'
Parth

P.S - I'm not too sure, but are you the Sriram at UMA? If you are my name might ring a bell (Our Azure discussion in February and the GoCloud event in March). The world is surely a small place
Parth, the world is indeed small - I am the same Sriram from UMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

Would be keenly watching this thread as Mr Sriram Iyer is mentioning of heat issues. Guess too much of heat generated might not be good for the engine longevity.
The original Octavia vRS was a game changer. The newer ones haven't raised the bar. Similarly, KTM 390 is not a quantum jump, but pretty close nevertheless in terms of power output vs price. I had heating issues with CBR in the initial run-in period. I am just hoping that this is also a temporary phenomenon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman5211 View Post
Thank you for this short and wonderful report.

I am currently monetarily not in a position to get this fantastic machine but your write up just makes it difficult to control thy urges.

The comparo across different life points an different motorcycles also brings up my own nostalgic days and congratulations for the 390 and 690. You got one enviable garage and long may it continue.
Thanks! Spending 2L on a bike is truly over the budget. These are small luxuries of staying single I think 390 will get a preferential treatment for a very long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Congratulations on the 390! You are truly a motorcycle afficando! A quick question; I have a Royal Enfield 350 and am looking to add a sportsbike to my garage. (Maybe the KTM 200 or the 390). Since this is going to be probably my last sportsbike (if not the last, atleast my second last for a long long time to come), which one will you recommend; the 200 or the 390? The reason i ask this is because you said the 200 is more mental, more hyper; i like that in a motorcycle. But then the 390 has more power. So which one would you suggest?

Just as a reference; I have owned a 18 bhp Pulsar 180 and a 15 bhp LML Graptor in the past; so i am quite used to 18-20 bhp motorcycles.
The short gearing and high revving nature of the 200 makes it mental. The 390 is definitely more relaxed than the 200. If your rides are within the city 90% of the time, and if you feel 25 BHP is a sufficient upgrade, then 200 will be good. However, since you are planning to keep the bike for a very long time, and since the 390 is priced 60K more than the 200, 390 is what I would go for if I were in your place. (390 is only less mental compared to 200, otherwise it is a frantic bike compared to any other ones that are available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirbhan View Post
Hearty congratulations on the 390 man! Crisp and well written initial report. Now as you ride more and get acquainted with the bike, many of us would be expecting regular updates.

Having booked the bike as soon as the bookings started in Mangalore, the wait has been agonizingly long. But it is heartening to know that deliveries have begun. Mangalore being a tier 2 city and total bookings being around 15, I guess it will be still a month before deliveries begin. Till then, your reports would be the soothing factor!
Thanks Sudhir! Deliveries have finally begun! I think the next lot comes next week. I am itching to ride too. I traveled outside town and am back on Sunday! Will sure keep this thread active!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Sriram, after reading your review yesterday and after reading a lot of good things about the duke earlier, I decided to check out what's so special about the bike.

For me, it just looked a bigger version of Pulsar and I was assuming it to be just another bike. The words like mental, hyper triggered me to ride my friend's Duke 200 yesterday.

It was 11pm, got the keys from my friend, went to the parking lot and started the machine. It asked, "Ready to race"?. I was like "WTH, the bike is small and the engine capacity isn't big either!!!". Only to realize in a few minutes that I was so damn wrong.

As others have already told, this bike is Mental, Hyper and a Hooligan. I couldn't describe the experience in words. May be there could be many other bikes which can give similar or better experience. But, after riding the Pulsars, Karizmas and Thunderbirds a few years back, yesterday's ride was nothing short of a Mad Adrenaline Rush experience.

At the end of the onward ride, I thought that no matter what I'm gonna buy a sports bike like Duke or a Duke. But at the end of the return ride, my instincts kept telling me, "you will definitely die in the bike no matter what protective gears you wear".

Probably couple of years down the line when I become more controlled over my instincts, I will definitely buy a SB. But the Duke yesterday re-ignited the Biking fire again!

A Man's world is amazing!!

P.S: Felt the bike a little small for me at 6'3" and 90Kg
I still remember a reviewer of Audi RS4 (the classic one) in UK returning the key to the editor telling that she doesn't want to end up in jail! I remembered that when I saw your write up. I was all grin after riding 200. (When I was waiting in a signal in my CBR, a lady rider on a Duke 200 was standing next. When the signal turned green, almost went under a lorry on the other side after frantic acceleration. I was wondering what makes her ride like that! One ride was all it took. Duke 200 with its relentless engine makes you rev up and shift in redlines. Exhilarating experience! That's the reason why I queued up for 390. I am 5'11'' and weigh a few more pounds! It is ok for me. It should be a little small for you.

I also feel that I am glad I did not have these high displacement and faster bikes when I was younger. The whole perspective changes as we grow up and enjoy these in a safer (still fun way) [Not taking anything away from current crop of young riders - Only applicable to me]

Have fun, pick up a Duke and ride safe!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 17:33   #25

Hey Sriram,

Your review has made me to rethink on considering Duke 390. I have a small issue though and that is my height!

I am considering Duke 390, haven't done the test ride yet. But will it be a problem for a short guy (5' 4") like me? Probably I will take a test ride in a week or two.
deepax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 18:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

@deepax

The taller ones are the ones worried about the bike. 5'4` you should be at home with the 390.

Quote:
390 is only less mental compared to 200, otherwise it is a frantic bike compared to any other ones that are available
390 is a Psycho while 300 is mental. Both have their own strength when it comes to frantic behavior.. One does that in a calculated manner the other one is straight forward outright
VW2010 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 18:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepax View Post
Hey Sriram,

Your review has made me to rethink on considering Duke 390. I have a small issue though and that is my height!

I am considering Duke 390, haven't done the test ride yet. But will it be a problem for a short guy (5' 4") like me? Probably I will take a test ride in a week or two.
Hi Deepak, The 390 has its height reduced by 10 mm compared to 200. But, one of my friends who is 5'2'' found it difficult to keep both the legs on the ground. It might just be ok, I guess. Nevertheless, it is ideal to check it out in the showroom. Let us all know how the test ride went!
Old 6th September 2013, 20:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Congrats.

Have two (related) questions:
How heavy is the clutch, using the CBR250 clutch as a reference.
What is the slowest smooth pottering around speed (no half clutching, and no engine stalling/ driveline snatching)

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 21:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Congrats.

Have two (related) questions:
How heavy is the clutch, using the CBR250 clutch as a reference.
What is the slowest smooth pottering around speed (no half clutching, and no engine stalling/ driveline snatching)

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks Sutripta!

(1) During my short ride, I found the clutch much stiffer than CBR. CBR is relatively super light.

(2) Didn't try this. But, the engine definitely knocks at lower speeds (on higher gears) - I'll give you some quantitative answers on Sunday!
Old 6th September 2013, 21:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
Thanks for the superquick reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
(1) During my short ride, I found the clutch much stiffer than CBR. CBR is relatively super light.
Pity. (for me)

Quote:
(2) Didn't try this. But, the engine definitely knocks at lower speeds (on higher gears) - I'll give you some quantitative answers on Sunday!
No, I mean in first gear.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote