Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd September 2013, 14:55   #106
BHPian

Default Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

Hey sriram my over eager self wants to ask HAVE YOU GONE FOR THE RIDE TODAY ?
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 17:02   #107
BHPian

Can any other owners comment on how steadily the bike idles? Mine is constantly varying between 1.4 and 1.7. This is any time, not just when cold\hot.
GreaseMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 18:46   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Can any other owners comment on how steadily the bike idles? Mine is constantly varying between 1.4 and 1.7. This is any time, not just when cold\hot.
It's the same in mine and I always feel it's a tad too high. It may be reduced after the first service.
Added_flavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:28   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Does one know if this is implemented in any other bike? If not, superb out of the box thinking by KTM.

But this will need a full bridge circuit. With an extra relay. They did not mention anything about changes in the electrical system/ wiring?

Wonder for which direction the fan blade profile is optimised?

Regards
Sutripta
Would make sense to have a pair of fans then innit?
One with the blades set for blowing air 'out' and the other 'in'.
MavericK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 22:08   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Hmm , how does replacing the radiator make the fan blow in opposite direction at low speeds ? we are missing something here !
I am not an expert The KTM guys told me they were replacing the whole radiator assembly, which I think includes the fan as well. As pointed out later in the thread, it could be a simply simple electric setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Hey there, 1st of all congrats on your ride. Its a real beast to own and ride.
I am sure you are amongst the 1st ones to own this in India and the new owners would learn a lot from your experiences.

Enjoy your ride and keep posting updates. I am hoping to put my ownership thread soon Still waiting for the call from KTM.
Thanks! Will keep the thread updated! I hope you get your call soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Hey sriram my over eager self wants to ask HAVE YOU GONE FOR THE RIDE TODAY ?
Sorry for the late update! I did make it a point to go out in the evening for about 100 kms just to make you happy - First, the niggle - I get an irritating vibrating sound from the front in low speeds (probably from headlight assembly or handle bar) - It is probably because something was left loose after the servicing on Friday.

Apart from that, the bike feels great. And, there is NO heat at all! I don't know if that's because I was riding through the open roads. Whatever they did, works. I was closely feeling to see if there is heat, but I felt almost no heat.

I want to fix the minor vibration / noise tomorrow on an otherwise perfect bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
It takes some time for the FI to settle for about a min after starting the vehicle. Do you say that your Idle RPM keeps varying always? I'll check mine tomorrow and share my feedback..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
Would make sense to have a pair of fans then innit?
One with the blades set for blowing air 'out' and the other 'in'.
May be they achieve this by changing the direction of the current flowing, and using the same fan. Some Transformer kind of stuff will the coolest thing

----

My pending experiments:
1. Try how 390 performs with Speed 97
2. Figure out how the heat differs in bad traffic (Not a tough thing to do in Bangalore!)

--
sriramv.iyer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:35   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Thanks! Will keep the thread updated! I hope you get your call soon!

Sorry for the late update! I did make it a point to go out in the evening for about 100 kms just to make you happy - First, the niggle - I get an irritating vibrating sound from the front in low speeds (probably from headlight assembly or handle bar) - It is probably because something was left loose after the servicing on Friday.

Apart from that, the bike feels great. And, there is NO heat at all! I don't know if that's because I was riding through the open roads. Whatever they did, works. I was closely feeling to see if there is heat, but I felt almost no heat.

I want to fix the minor vibration / noise tomorrow on an otherwise perfect bike.

--
Thanks a ton Sriram !
Unfortunately I can only thank your post once.
Will trouble you less now
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 00:23   #112
Senior - BHPian

Complexity of design is the enemy of dependability.
This is true with either mechanical systems or electrical systems.

That said, I find it difficult to believe that KTM would actually attempt to design a cooling fan that blows air in two directions depending on the motorcycles speed, all for the questionable advantage of keeping some moderately hot air off of the riders legs.

I wouldn't attempt to incorporate this into any motorcycle I would design when a little study and effort could create some simple ducting that would direct the hot air in a direction other than the riders legs.

Being a curious engineering designer I must ask those of you who own a new Duke 390 to do an experiment for me.

On a windless day, please ride your new Duke far enough to fully heat up the engine.
The engine needs to be hot enough that the fan will start to run.
Now, with the motorcycle parked on the centerstand and the engine and cooling fan running, please hold a smoldering stick or cigarette directly in front of the radiator air inlet at the front of the bike.
Observe the direction the smoke takes. Is it into the radiator or is it out of the radiator?

I'm anxiously waiting the answer.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 23rd September 2013 at 00:25.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 01:44   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

That said, I find it difficult to believe that KTM would actually attempt to design a cooling fan that blows air in two directions depending on the motorcycles speed, all for the questionable advantage of keeping some moderately hot air off of the riders legs.

I wouldn't attempt to incorporate this into any motorcycle I would design when a little study and effort could create some simple ducting that would direct the hot air in a direction other than the riders legs.

Being a curious engineering designer I must ask those of you who own a new Duke 390 to do an experiment for me.

On a windless day, please ride your new Duke far enough to fully heat up the engine.
The engine needs to be hot enough that the fan will start to run.
Now, with the motorcycle parked on the centerstand and the engine and cooling fan running, please hold a smoldering stick or cigarette directly in front of the radiator air inlet at the front of the bike.
Observe the direction the smoke takes. Is it into the radiator or is it out of the radiator?

I'm anxiously waiting the answer.
That's an excellent & simple test ! Can someone try it & shoot a video if possible. If not a smolder stick or a cigarette, please try out with an incense stick, we have plenty of those in India

PS: The bike does not have a centre stand. Not even as an option, due to the underbelly exhaust.
90BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:41   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

I can't agree more - I think this is a complicated design as described the KTM guys. Adding complexity does no good to a system, unless it is thoroughly tested and becomes standard (we might be the guinea pigs till then!)

I have had my fair share of hot air from the GT650N and CBR250R. It is quite easy to figure out if the hot air is coming your way or not - The tougher thing is to see if it switches direction..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
That's an excellent & simple test ! Can someone try it & shoot a video if possible. If not a smolder stick or a cigarette, please try out with an incense stick, we have plenty of those in India
Think of me doing the incense test in a high way when cars / buses / bikes whizz by. They will think I am doing some witch-craft or some Pooja in the middle of no-where. (Or just praying that the bike should start)
sriramv.iyer is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:18   #115
BHPian

Hi Sriram,

Congrats on the bike man! I'm still waiting for mine. If KTM Indiranagar receives a second lot of 10 bikes this week then mine will be one of them. Surprisingly the wait was initially agonizing, now, not really. The bike will come when she comes and then the excitement will begin.

How are the mirrors on the bike? Would it be advisable to change them?

cheers !

imp
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:39   #116
BHPian

Went for a test ride of the Duke 390 at the Bajaj / KTM showroom in Wakadewadi, Pune. Definitely felt the heat after a short ride.

For everyone's info, they are accepting bookings, but mentioned that realistically the delivery will be after 3 months.

For me the test ride was ok ok, as it was a short ride and i really didnt get to appreciate the bike much. Would have preferred a longer test ride, but i guess each company has its rules. Somehow the Duke 390 didnt rock my world yesterday:(
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 09:31   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi Sriram,

Congrats on the bike man! I'm still waiting for mine. If KTM Indiranagar receives a second lot of 10 bikes this week then mine will be one of them.
How are the mirrors on the bike? Would it be advisable to change them?

cheers !

imp
Thanks! Hope you get yours soon. I found the mirrors a tad small, but usable. I don't plan to change them unless I see significant benefits.

Quote:
Surprisingly the wait was initially agonizing, now, not really. The bike will come when she comes and then the excitement will begin.
You are in Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Went for a test ride of the Duke 390 at the Bajaj / KTM showroom in Wakadewadi, Pune. Definitely felt the heat after a short ride.

For everyone's info, they are accepting bookings, but mentioned that realistically the delivery will be after 3 months.

For me the test ride was ok ok, as it was a short ride and i really didnt get to appreciate the bike much. Would have preferred a longer test ride, but i guess each company has its rules. Somehow the Duke 390 didnt rock my world yesterday:(
I totally understand what you say. I hope KTM dealers (OR ANYONE) understand that short rides with a pillion from the dealership do not help anyone. How does one put in 2L hard earned money on table without even evaluating it for a decent test ride?

I hope you get to evaluate 390 better before plonking your cash.
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 10:23   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Hope you get yours soon. I found the mirrors a tad small, but usable. I don't plan to change them unless I see significant benefits.

You are in Zen

Thank you Sriram! Does the bike take you to biking Satori? Then perhaps a link is already being formed between me and my bike
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 10:43   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Thank you Sriram! Does the bike take you to biking Satori? Then perhaps a link is already being formed between me and my bike
Ha ha ha - Didn't know you were a Zen Pro. Not many people use the word satori

The two wheelers in general put me in that state. To make it more interesting, the link between you and your future bike has always been there
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 19:26   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha ha - Didn't know you were a Zen Pro. Not many people use the word satori

The two wheelers in general put me in that state. To make it more interesting, the link between you and your future bike has always been there

Ahaha hardly a master my friend, I merely like bandying fancy words I am as far from a master as a caterpillar is from a butterfly. I thank you for your kind words sir! And look forward to reinforcing the link
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote