Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 24th September 2013, 19:57   #121
BHPian

Default Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I totally understand what you say. I hope KTM dealers (OR ANYONE) understand that short rides with a pillion from the dealership do not help anyone. How does one put in 2L hard earned money on table without even evaluating it for a decent test ride?

I hope you get to evaluate 390 better before plonking your cash.

I am not sure about other cities but in Delhi esp Noida I got to test the ride individually i.e. no pillion from the dealership which was good to feel the bike in true sense of the word. I would suggest to scrarecrow try some other dealership and tell them you are keen to book the bike, I am sure they should let you take a spin alone. Best of luck
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 11:52   #122
BHPian

While i have been sitting on the fence waiting to experience citrus juice on wheels, need to understand though if the replacement radiator fan, works both clockwise and then anti cockwise to blow air in opposite directions.
karan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 15:15   #123
BHPian

i just got a call from the Faridabad showroom.... my beast is in transit now !
Have to still wait for a week to get my hands on MY D390
vitesh.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 15:45   #124
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: KTM 390 - My Perspective against the bikes I have owned / rode

Quote:

Metzeler Sportek M5 Tyres. These are apparently the most premium of all tyres, costing 24K a pair. (Will bite you when you replace )
Wow! And I thought the Fazer tyres were expensive!

Congrats! The bike looks great. I especially like the frame!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 17:18   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan86 View Post
While i have been sitting on the fence waiting to experience citrus juice on wheels, need to understand though if the replacement radiator fan, works both clockwise and then anti cockwise to blow air in opposite directions.
Here is what I felt, when the bike heats up and the fan comes on while riding I do feel the heat on my legs. However when I move it to neutral and stop I can hear the fan running but very less heat on my legs.

So guess that the fan works both ways.

Ps: The showroom people did mention that my bike had already had this on the vehicle when it came through. sriramv as far as I know you got the 1st batch display vehicle delivered to you hence the recall for the fix.
Psycho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 18:52   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post

Here is what I felt, when the bike heats up and the fan comes on while riding I do feel the heat on my legs. However when I move it to neutral and stop I can hear the fan running but very less heat on my legs.

Ps: The showroom people did mention that my bike had already had this on the vehicle when it came through. sriramv as far as I know you got the 1st batch display vehicle delivered to you hence the recall for the fix.
Congrats on 1000 posts Psycho.
Does it also work the way you mentioned when in stop-n-go traffic in gear? Or is it only when you are in neutral?
jaygeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 19:49   #127
BHPian

I am just back from a 20 km ride within the city - The last 30 mins in terrible traffic.

I was not feeling the heat till the last 10 mins of the traffic jam. The heat gauge has 13 bars - Based on what I was told in KTM showroom, the fan doesn't blow into the rider's legs till the gauge reaches 9. I felt a lot of heat as soon as the gauge hit 10. Also, after the traffic jam, when I started riding in an open stretch, the gauge came down to 9 at which the heat reduced considerably. This makes me believe what the KTM engineer said.

I tried my best to keep my hands in front and back of the radiator fan to figure out what direction the air was blowing, but could not. (I couldn't do the incense test)

I think the whole heating up story is overrated. You get a 375cc, 45 BHP bike with ABS and Metzelers for 1.8L ex. And the bike is a bundle of fun. I think this heating is an acceptable compromise. Even CBR250R used to be hot! We keep comparing this big engined bike to a 100cc commuter and it is not ok to expect same levels of heat in a big bike. Though the dimensions of this bike is small, it is a proper big displacement bike, single cylinder with a high compression ratio.

I am frankly giving up on finding the direction of air-flow (will still do it for academic reasons). But, it doesn't bother me at all.

Quote:
Karan, don't let this affect your decision. Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesh.b View Post
i just got a call from the Faridabad showroom.... my beast is in transit now !
Have to still wait for a week to get my hands on MY D390
Congrats Vitesh! The last week of waiting must be tough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Wow! And I thought the Fazer tyres were expensive!

Congrats! The bike looks great. I especially like the frame!
Thanks Gansan! The tires will bite at the time of replacement! But, feels total paisa vasool, esp the grip levels in wet conditions are surreal.

Quote:

My observation today is in similar lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
Does it also work the way you mentioned when in stop-n-go traffic in gear? Or is it only when you are in neutral?
Jay, I hope my observation above helps. Once the heat gauge falls to 9 or below, there is a significant drop in the heat levels perceived on the legs.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 20:32   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Phew that is a relief 1000 posts finally, but am glad I did it within a decade I think.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 21:28   #129
BHPian

Quote:
I think the whole heating up story is overrated. You get a 375cc, 45 BHP bike with ABS and Metzelers for 1.8L ex. And the bike is a bundle of fun. I think this heating is an acceptable compromise. Even CBR250R used to be hot! We keep comparing this big engined bike to a 100cc commuter and it is not ok to expect same levels of heat in a big bike. Though the dimensions of this bike is small, it is a proper big displacement bike, single cylinder with a high compression ratio.
Thanks for this Sriram! At last some common sense being spoken and the best part is it comes from the horses' mouth.

The bike does not, I repeat, does not OVERHEAT. So let's please stop discussing this and move on.
Added_flavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 22:24   #130
BHPian

We are just trying to figure the mechanics here and see what the new tech is, if any.
Bajaj is known for such things.
Lets not look at it from only overheating perspective, like sriram mentioned.
jaygeetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 03:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Phew that is a relief 1000 posts finally, but am glad I did it within a decade I think.
Please please I atleast want to clock 10000 Km's by the time I hit this number. For that I need the bike ! Katoom deliver quick...
90BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 12:49   #132
BHPian

For the ones still in queue and for those already twisting wrists,

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th September 2013 at 15:03. Reason: wrong url
karan86 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 15:56   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Thanks for this Sriram! At last some common sense being spoken and the best part is it comes from the horses' mouth.

The bike does not, I repeat, does not OVERHEAT. So let's please stop discussing this and move on.
Thanks! Hope you are having fun with the bike too!

Quote:
We are just trying to figure the mechanics here and see what the new tech is, if any.
Bajaj is known for such things.
Lets not look at it from only overheating perspective, like sriram mentioned.
Jay, Thanks! I agree with you that we should not focus on this with only this perspective. At the same time, for our intellectual curiosity, we should definitely try and figure out what's the tech inside. I'll try to extract some info from the technician in the KTM service center. My first service is due in a week (already)!

Quote:
For the ones still in queue and for those already twisting wrists,
Nice catch, Karan. Thanks for sharing! Interesting to see what the 2-stroke riders had to say! I wish they had shown more action on the KTM 390 (or even their bikes).

-----

On other updates, I went to Sadashiv Nagar BP only to find out that they don't have Speed 97! Does anyone know where I can get this in Bangalore?

I went over the technical document on KTM 390 for Austria. There it says RON 95 is required. I am curious to find out what kind of difference it makes to the ride. And I am hoping Bajaj did enough tests on the bike with the 91 RON fuel in India.

I am itching for the weekend to take a proper ride somewhere! I now get 31 kmpl FE - Which is awesome!

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 26th September 2013 at 16:00. Reason: Removed embedded youtube link
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 17:13   #134
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sriram, congratulations on the 390 again and more so from the update perspective lol. I have been silently following this thread and though i dont have any plans of the 390 (yet), it does seem to be a hell of a bike.

Lets see if we can catch up for the ride we have been planning for over 3 years now (?) . Till then keep updating the thread bro, a lot of people are passing their waiting periods by being glued to your wonderful posts.

Bajaj has really been doing a lot for the motorcycling community in India by getting us these lovely bikes and though the waiting periods are excruciating, atleast they are that and not dreaming periods.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 17:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:

Jay, Thanks! I agree with you that we should not focus on this with only this perspective. At the same time, for our intellectual curiosity, we should definitely try and figure out what's the tech inside. I'll try to extract some info from the technician in the KTM service center. My first service is due in a week (already)!
I haven't done the cigarette test suggested here but after a brief chat with one of the service engineers this is what I could understand.

Newly added elements are a an electrical relay and a new (redesigned?) fan. The ECU, based on the vehicle speed decides the direction of the fan, whether to blow or suck and the corresponding signal is sent out to the relay. The threshold is set to 9Kmph.

So if the vehicle is traveling below 9kmph (typically bumper-to-bumper traffic) then the heat is pushed towards the front of the bike. Beyond this speed, the fan rotates in the opposite direction and the vehicle is too fast for the rider to feel the heat on his/her legs.
Added_flavor is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote