Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th September 2013, 20:11   #1

Default Suzuki GS 150R: Braking causes the rear to slide out

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

My GS150R has done 25000+ kms since Feb 2010. I ride mainly on the potholed roads of Chennai. At Vadapalani signal @t 20 kmph, as I braked suddenly to avoid hitting a car which stopped ahead of me, I fell down after a skid. It was a rain dried dusty road yesterday. Should I change my MRF Zapper tyre? It is bald when I rub with no grooves or buttons.

An MRF tyre dealer told I should do 40000 kms with the OEM tyre.

I am scared. I take my wife or daughter with me for local rides. I can't afford a fall. Team BHP, please guide me.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130912_200210.png
Views: 5044
Size:  894.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130912_200522.png
Views: 4781
Size:  911.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130912_200548.png
Views: 4760
Size:  908.2 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130912_200811.png
Views: 4718
Size:  614.7 KB

Last edited by GTO : 13th September 2013 at 17:21.
rajahamsa is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 12th September 2013, 23:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Suzuki GS 150R: Braking causes the rear to slide out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahamsa View Post
Should I change my mrf zapper y tyre? It is bald when I rub with no grooves or buttons. An MRF tyre dealer told I should Do 40000 km with the OEM tyre that Comes with the BIKE.
After a fall post the skid you still have doubts whether to change the tyre or no??!

Life is more valuable than a Tyre buddy so go and change it ASAP. The problem with this tyre is it has no groove in the centre for efficient water channelling out. Worst design ever seen.

Even my Karizma R came with this MRF tyre. I used it from for two months and had a couple of close calls as the bike skids under hard braking so changed the tyre instantly to Michelin M45 (110/90 x 18 or 4.00 x 18)

Costed me Rs 2100 in 2009. Now I have no idea of the price.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 00:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

I do not understand the logic of this tire on a road bike. Do such tires offer any grip in practical conditions. I understand on smooth roads these "slicks" offer great grip, but where do you find smooth roads commonly?
From the adverts it appears that this tire is marketed for its excellent grip, but surely this does not seem to be the case
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 01:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
From the adverts it appears that this tire is marketed for its excellent grip, but surely this does not seem to be the case
Marketing gimmicks is what I feel it is. This tyre just doesn't provide any confidence to the rider neither in wet conditions nor on dry roads. It just beats the purpose of a tyre on a vehicle.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 07:21   #5

Whether Michelin is the only reliable option? Generally it is costly isn't it? What I should look for in the new tyre?
rajahamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 10:37   #6
BHPian

The amount of grip available from a tyre has more to do with the tyre compound than the tread pattern. As long as its not soaking wet, a tyre with less groves will have more grip than a heavily patterned one. This is because the area in contact with the road decreases when you add groves.

There is no truth to the old statement of a studded tyre 'biting into the road'. Please keep in mind that the road surface is almost always harder than the tyre. The tyre needs to conform to the texture of the road and not the other way round.

That said, the tyre in the pics above looks ok, but better change it if you have no confidence in it. Also, the compound may have gone hard. I remember the tyres on my old pulsar ran just 10k kms when i felt a significant reduction of grip in all conditions.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 13:36   #7
BHPian

Adjust your rear brake lining for equal braking, make sure your disc up front has sufficient bite and brake fluid and fill in air in the tires as stated in the manual.

Try riding after this and gauge how much of a difference it has made. If you feel it is improved then your tyres are good to go for daily riding for quite some time.

If not, then it would be better to switch to new rubber.

Many riders panic and do not modulate the braking between front and rear leading to loss of grip.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 13:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have the same bike and I can also say that the rear tire is one of the worst. Rear end steps out badly in case of panic braking and not at all confidence inspiring. Mine has done ~19,700 kms and I also feel the tire now harder than before. Looking at the pictures I think you need to change the tyres, they look way too worn out. A query here - is tyre alignment and balancing also done for bikes/scooters after changing the tyres?
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 15:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, it's not just the tire that is at fault here but the riding style as well.

Most riders tend to use the rear brakes on their bikes and when the rear wheel locks, the bike fishtails and skids leading to a crash or a fall.

Best bet for effective braking is to use only the front brakes.

Most bikes sold today are equipped with disc brakes at the front so the stopping power is very good.

We just need to unlearn a few bad riding habits - like using the rear brakes, jabbing the front brake lever, etc. See this (The Safe Riding thread) thread for more tips.

When i bought the ninja, i used to apply the rear brake to shed speed in addition to the front brakes. Rear brake was used gingerly and with the edge of my boot to ensure minimal pressure.

But... this caught me off guard once. I was returning from Ooty to Blore and a moron on a bike suddenly decided to cross the road from the extreme left to the right and although i used the front brakes to shed maximum speed, i also applied the rear brakes. The rear wheel locked and i had a minor skid. I did not have to wrestle with the bike to keep it in control since the speeds were not very high and there was no gravel on the road as well.

The tires were Pirelli's - excellent grip, were heated well and had no cold or flat spots. It was an issue with the braking style not the tire.

A lot of riding on the track (TWO track school) has helped me unlearn these wrong habits.

Rear brakes are best avoided and best used only at low speeds. Never brake while in the middle of a turn. The bike should be as upright as possible while applying maximum braking to ensure no loss of control.

Also, when using the front brakes (disc brakes), use only 2 fingers to apply pressure on the lever. Avoid grabbing the lever with all the four fingers else you risk locking the front wheel as well. When one is using the front brakes, it should be applied in such a way that the pressure applied on the lever increases steadily but progressively. This will allow the rider to identify the threshold for a wheel lock as well and increases braking efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
is tyre alignment and balancing also done for bikes/scooters after changing the tyres?
Nope. I am yet to come across anyone who does balancing and alignment for bike wheels.

See this (Wheel Balancing dynamically on my Superbike) thread for more info.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th September 2013 at 15:15. Reason: added more info
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2013, 16:48   #10
BHPian

@rajahamsa,

I'm driving the same bike since 2009. Odo reads 51,000kms as of now. Completely stock. I have the same MRF Nylogrip tires too.

It's been mentioned at many places on the Internet that these tires have good grip in dry conditions but very bad grip on wet roads. I can vouch for that. Not only that, even on dry roads my bike used to skid a lot until I changed my driving habit.

Moreover, this might also be because of the sub-par rear brake spring and shoes of GS150R. Anyways, I advise you to use the rear drum with a lag [after you engage the discs].
vikred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 12:48   #11

Pl suggest a safer tyre for GS150R. The discussion appears to be skidding & slipping towards braking while racing etc. For a city commute I am not sure whether a front braking would give a safer riding is questionable. Advise suitably.
rajahamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 14:46   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pl suggest a safer tyre for GS150R.
Look into Michelin's or Pirelli's. I'm am using Michelin M45 (rear) and no problem tool date. At the front will be changing to the same size from Michelin.

PS: please check for a thread in motorcycles section - it's title is Motorcycle Tyres compared. Read that and decide which you would want.

Quote:
For a city commute I am not sure whether a front braking would give a safer riding is questionable.
I'm City or Highway, baking must progressive rather than aggressive. Brake earlier and modulate slower. This will reduce chances of tyre lock up. Anticipate the condition and brake accordingly.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 15:16   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Suzuki GS 150R: Braking causes the rear to slide out

While +1 with with Aditya says about braking, the circumstances in which the OP fell might have needed a bit of rear brake input as well. Courtesy ; the dusty road.

There are plenty of options in the 100/90X18 size. Zapper Q from MRF is a good choice giving the best of both worlds on a budget. Else as Anurag says Pirelli SD's or M45's from Michelin are a good choice.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 12:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Pl suggest a safer tyre for GS150R. The discussion appears to be skidding & slipping towards braking while racing etc. For a city commute I am not sure whether a front braking would give a safer riding is questionable. Advise suitably.
If you think of it, the laws of physics do not differentiate whether you are riding on the track or a crowded street.

Physics 101:
Braking causes load transfer to the front causing increase in available grip at the front an reduction on available grip at the rear.
Harder you brake, more this effect.
When you demand more braking force than the wheel can give you, it skids. Once you skid, you actually reduce the braking force at that wheel.
Hence the front wheel will always be able to give you a higher braking force than the rear irrespective of the grip of your tyre or road.
Also, harder you brake, more grip is available for the front wheel to use for braking.

I cant count the number of times i have been able to avoid a car/bike/child/ball/dog etc within the city limits, at speeds less than 40kph on bad roads. Even on my Honda Dio, using both brakes simultaneously and modulating then correctly, I can probably stop in about 3 bike lengths from 40kph. This is not possible by using the rear brake alone.

I strongly recommend learning the correct use of both brakes and actually practicing emergency braking on some open, unused parking lot or something. There is a limit to how much conscious thought you can carry in your head. By practicing, you will not be 'thinking' about braking in case of an emergency, but the hard braking will be automatic and safe and you will be consciously thinking of other things like collision avoidance.
braindead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2013, 20:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My GS150R has done 25000+ kms since Feb 2010. I ride mainly on the potholed roads of Chennai.
Quote:
Whether Michelin is the only reliable option? Generally it is costly isn't it? What I should look for in the new tyre?
No need to go for higher brands.

MRF will be just fine.

Quote:
For a city commute I am not sure whether a front braking would give a safer riding is questionable. Advise suitably.
ALWAYS use BOTH brakes.

I am using MRF Nylogrip meteor 100/90/18 (rear) & MRF Motogrio Meteor-M 3.00-18 (front) for my GS150R. [odo at 48000km]

I have done around 2000km city ride on this set & grip is quite good.

Rear tyre
Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 4596
Size:  38.6 KB
Front tyre
Name:  front.jpg
Views: 3982
Size:  38.5 KB
My bike
Suzuki GS 150R: Braking causes the rear to slide out-dsc05274.jpg

I suggest you do following checks.
  • tyre alignment
  • check for bent fork tubes (it happens)
  • worn out bush of swing arm & steering cone
rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 17th September 2013 at 20:44.
jeepster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote