Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 12th October 2013, 22:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Two Orange Wheels : My KTM Duke 390

Well had to rush out of Bangalore and wasn't able to update the thread. Here is a quick list of items that were done on the bike:

1) Complete flush of the oil twice
2) Complete flush of the radiator
3) Overall check-up
4) Rear brakes check for clanking
5) Chain service and adjustment

The bike feels a lot smoother and is a tad less responsive than earlier need to check why. The service engineer also mentioned there was a problem with the battery wire and it needed to be replaced. Moved the handlebar up a couple of degrees to make it more comfortable.

What they missed is resetting the next service interval duration and it is still set at 1000km. Its going to be about another 20 days before I can get back to update the thread.

Overall service feedback for BTM KTM:
1) Took a detailed list of the issues that I was facing
2) Followed requests to the dot
3) Service completed and delivered the same day

PS: Gonna miss the Orange day

Last edited by Psycho : 12th October 2013 at 22:29. Reason: missed a point
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 11:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Psycho,

Please update? There are a lot of waiting to get their gloves on the handle bars waiting for your update.

Thanks!
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 12:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
There are a lot of waiting to get their gloves on the handle bars waiting for your update.
I was in the US till last week hence the silence on the thread. In the meanwhile have been enjoying the bike since I came back. However cant keep away from wanting more as usual.

Some of the key pain points I needed to address were:
1) Low and Mid torque for easier ridability
2) Top end.

Have swapped in a K&N and am hanging around Race Dynamics messing around with the OrangeTronic (Karthik's gonna have a good laugh at this).

I now have a lot more torque and can ride around in the 3.5k - 5k rpm range in a gear higher than usual. Throttle response is now crisp right from the 10% range. Temperatures are a lot lower in traffic for the last couple of days but still need to run about a bit more to be certain. Mileage figures not seen yet or rather I am ignoring it.

There will be more to come in due time.
Psycho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 12:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mod 1: Stock Replacement K&N Filter:

The stock filter felt restrictive and decided to upgrade to the K&N Stock (the sa me one as the 200's) as the the airbox is well designed for the 390. The key changes the bike felt more responsive from the time I slipped it in. There was a visible improvement in torque on the bike and throttle response too. Impact to mileage not checked. Felt the bike could do better with more fuel.

Mod 2: Fuel and Ignition

Key complaint here was the need for more torque way down the rev range for better drive-ability. The decision was to add on the OrangeTronic (Powertronic Piggy Back from Race-Dynamics) to the bike which allowed me complete access to tuning the bike. Fitting it was relatively painless and it cranked clean on the first try. Tested the bike with a slightly enhanced map and found a further improvement on the torque and not to mention the rev limit I am able to hit 57 on the 1st gear now.

Took a day or so to further tune the ecu to a point where I am able to ride the bike comfortably at higher gears below 4k rpm. Throttle response has drastically improved to a point that I do not need to use more than 30% accelerator for the style of riding I do.

Under hard acceleration it looks like the bike is a shade below 5 secs to a 100. (seat of the pants don't hold me by it as I need to vbox it for accuracy)

I now have a grin plastered on my face with how the bike rides now and when I checked the mileage in stop and go traffic this morning the reading showed 27KMPL

Mod 3 - Planned: Exhaust

Still thinking through options on this one might take a while.
Psycho is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 13:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for update . I checked with RD guys and they said they would anounce the box with all the figures .

It would be nice to have 50BHP , smoothness in lower RPM and more Mileage .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 12:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Thanks for update . I checked with RD guys and they said they would anounce the box with all the figures .

It would be nice to have 50BHP , smoothness in lower RPM and more Mileage .
I am not sure when the announcement is going come through, however here is a teaser picture attached to this post.

The bottom end is really responsive to throttle input and don't need more than half throttle even for hard riding within the city.

As for the Mileage the old adage more fuel more air more power so you got to find the right balance.
Attached Images

Psycho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 16:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good stuff Psycho! The hunger for more power is eternal.

Any reason why you went for Power Tronic over Kirius?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 17:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Good stuff Psycho! The hunger for more power is eternal.

Any reason why you went for Power Tronic over Kirius?
I have used Race Dynamics products extensively over the years and am very comfortable with tuning them as per my needs and the mods added to the vehicle. So the choice was obvious.
Psycho is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Time for updates again, have been fine tuning the map on the ecu and am almost where I wanted to be without the exhaust. I am no pro rider to get a proper feedback on what I was looking for and I got lucky.

Bumped into Rohit Giri last evening and gave the bike for a quick spin. He just popped a wheelie and disappeared for a good 10 mins. When he came back his words were the torque is raw and too aggressive compared to his 848. The bike is not for regular riders as it pops the wheel out of every corner right up to the third gear. He found a flat spot at 5k rpm that I need to fix.

Other than that I found another problem with the front brake pads the contact area for the outer pad is very less and the inner pad has full contact, need to fix this too.

Am at 1300 km and the bike is returning consistent 25 kmpl in heavy traffic in the city.

Next to get to the exhaust hopefully.
Psycho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
torque is raw and too aggressive

That's how it should be . This should be like D200 aggressiveness + D390 tall gearing

Keshav ,can I have a spin on your set up ? I was looking for box myself .Let me know if can have a small meet .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 13:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That's how it should be . This should be like D200 aggressiveness + D390 tall gearing
It's way more trust me, you are constantly in a gear higher with just 1/4 throttle and it feels effortless.

Quote:
Keshav ,can I have a spin on your set up ? I was looking for box myself .Let me know if can have a small meet .
We can gimme a call and lets plan.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 16:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
He found a flat spot at 5k rpm that I need to fix.

Other than that I found another problem with the front brake pads the contact area for the outer pad is very less and the inner pad has full contact, need to fix this too.

Next to get to the exhaust hopefully.
Hi Psycho, Could you please enlighten us on the above three points. Photographs of your corrective actions will be great.

Thanks!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Hi Psycho, Could you please enlighten us on the above three points. Photographs of your corrective actions will be great.
1) He found a flat spot at 5k rpm that I need to fix.

This has to do with the custom map I have been working on just need a tad more fuelling at that point

2) Problem with the front brake pads the contact area for the outer pad is very less and the inner pad has full contact, need to fix this too.

Will have to replace the brake pad as it is not flat, hence reducing the contact area

3) Next to get to the exhaust hopefully.
Planning to build one
Psycho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:27   #29
BHPian

Congrats on the bike and do keep us updated on how the PowerTronic performs. Also, would appreciate a detailed stock vs remap comparo once you build the exhaust and finalize the map.
Mine is done with run-in and this remap will be very high on my to-get things
niranjanrvce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 08:17   #30
BHPian

I admire your courage in trying this out on a brand new bike, bro!

All the best; hope it gets the bike to where you want it. Do keep posting; even though I might never work up the nerve to do this, it is good to keep track of the possibilities!
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote