Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th October 2013, 14:14   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
- I am having a cold start issue. How ever long I crank, nothing happens. Have tried a lot of things; dont know what exactly makes it work but it catches suddenly. Current superstition is to switch off & back on the engine kill switch after cranking 2-3 times to make the engine start.
The problem has started only the last 3 days. The service guy told me it is because some thingamabob to do with decompression has to get properly worn . Sound OK to you guys?
Its how superstitions start - they are based on science, but in the absense of knowing the WHY, we find it simpler to be creatures of habit and ascribe phenomena to a higher being.

When the bike stalls, I always shut off the engine kill, then ignition, then put on the ignition, then engine kill, and then thumb the starter - all in that order. The MFD needs to reboot for the bike to restart and run properly - you can still start it without the above steps, but not advisable. Maybe some techie can explain why.

Quote:
- The MFD is behaving slightly weirdly - was showing 72km to refill. I started the bike and killed the engine (with the switch) by mistake. Immediately after that the low fuel light came on. Parked the bike at home for 2 hours (watching the match. Whate match!) and came back to fill gas, the low fuel warning did not come on! Was showing about 1 bar over the reserve. This morning the low fuel warning came on after riding about 5 kms.
I did about 250 km before I refueled and put in 10 lt approximately. So. this morning's indication seems to be fine. Basically think it is some intermediate state that the MFD logic got caught in when i killed the engine immediately after starting. (Remember that somebody else had a similar problem. Just wanted to tell that person to not to worry!)
The display changes when you stop and put on to side stand, and then after some time restart again. But it usually comes back to normal within a few minutes running. Sometimes if the fuel is on the edge/cusp, it does not.

Quote:
- Is there any way to put 2 items that we want on the secondary display? DOnt think so but thought I will ask.
Right now, if I understand the manual, we have a fixed choice of the order & what can come up and there is no way to configure what we want. Eg, I want Avg Speed & Avg FE to show simultaneously. There is no way to get only those 2 bits of information to show up. No big deal but seems such a simple thing to provide!
I always have the bike set up to Avg. Speed (kmph) and Mileage (L/100 km) once I start and get on the move (including on the 390). Why is that an isue for you?

Last edited by ebonho : 17th October 2013 at 14:15.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 14:34   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Flamberge (KTM Duke 390) Ownership report - A middle aged man's perspective

Quote:
you can still start it without the above steps, but not advisable. Maybe some techie can explain why.
Even i dont know why we do it, but even in my Jetta, if i stall it the only way to start it is to completely get the key back to switch off position and then crank it up.

I do not see any harm in starting the bike when you stall directly by using the switch but basic step is as Dr said. I switch of the kill switch, switch on which anyway does the console reset and sweep action and i start it.

Never felt embarrassed to take time to restart and always ignore the honking for they cant do much till you start.

Quote:
I always have the bike set up to Avg. Speed (kmph) and Mileage (L/100 km) once I start and get on the move (including on the 390). Why is that an isue for you?
And this habit goes off post few weeks when you are no longer bothered about this data. After 10 days i hardly check for these details and i usually check when i should refuel.

But the question was is there a way to set up what appears in the console using a com based device and software
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 14:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
And this habit goes off post few weeks when you are no longer bothered about this data. After 10 days i hardly check for these details and i usually check when i should refuel.

But the question was is there a way to set up what appears in the console using a com based device and software
Not in my case. These are the only two really important bits of information for a rider on the move, and I often check what the current mileage is (and compare it to how I have been riding) as well as what the moving average is - both of which are admittedly much more important data while on the highway on tour.

The moment I come to low fuel, I shift the reading back to mileage, and make it a point to keep the revs low and get the mileage down to 2-2.5 L/100 km to maximize the fuel left, while I look for a decent pump.

The km to dry reading as people have discovered is not very reliable. It stays at a high figure for some time (depending on how you are riding - and is thus a function of the mileage reading anyways rather than an actual read) and then suddenly dips alarmingly to under 20 kms left and immediately then to 0!

P.S. I do not know any way of adding/customizing data elements to the MFD or changing the order and combination they appear in. Never felt the need. Like Sridhu, I come from a vintage where you are delighted if you have a big round dial with a needle that actually moves and does so linearly and does both consistently every time the bike moves.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th October 2013 at 15:06.
Old 17th October 2013, 16:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Even i dont know why we do it, but even in my Jetta, if i stall it the only way to start it is to completely get the key back to switch off position and then crank it up.
In cars these is a safety feature. Once you completely turn off the ignition, there is no power supply to the starter motor which means that the starter motor is completely disengaged before you crank the engine again. May be it works the same way in the D390 also.
I had noticed a behavior on D200, where in the ignition kill switch is off and the ignition key is on and when you try to crank the engine the starter motor gets engaged but the engine wont start.
@Doc: Can you confirm this behavior?
AMG_ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 16:40   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. I do not know any way of adding/customizing data elements to the MFD or changing the order and combination they appear in. Never felt the need. Like Sridhu, I come from a vintage where you are delighted if you have a big round dial with a needle that actually moves and does so linearly and does both consistently every time the bike moves.
Add me to that. I hardly use the dial except for the annoying red light that bothers everytime from the corner of the eye

Its a habit from bull days when i hit reserve i ensure i go in save mode and hit the nearest bunk

With the 390 i am brave to push it a little further but i am riding within city with lots of bunks.
Old 17th October 2013, 17:04   #51
BHPian

For information, I did about 50km after the low fuel warning came on. All around 5000-6000 rpm. Filled 10 lts; so the bike should go around 70 km after the low fuel warning comes on.

@Doc: My issue is, this happens at cold start when the bike has been sitting for around 15-16 hours. I can understand that a key-off works like a system reset in case it is stalled but cant understand why it wont start cold. Or why the switch-off-the-engine-kill routine works (if it does!). I currently use what you have referred to on the MFD but want (why not?!!) the option of setting any 2 bits of info I want to be displayed.

@VW2010: I agree with you that the info is never used; like Doc says, I come from an era when these things were simply not there. But being digital, would have liked to be able to configure them. To tell the truth, I look at the MFD for time & rpm mostly. Speed once in a while.

@AMG_ang: What you say makes sense. THink that could be the reason. The engine kill switch just ensures that the engine does not work. All other electronics work. SO, it is not a master kill switch.
sridhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 17:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the 390 i am brave to push it a little further but i am riding within city with lots of bunks.
Don't be too brave. If you ride a 500, the 390 does not do much better when the reserve light comes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG_ang View Post
I had noticed a behavior on D200, where in the ignition kill switch is off and the ignition key is on and when you try to crank the engine the starter motor gets engaged but the engine wont start.
@Doc: Can you confirm this behavior?

Can't say I have. Will need to check bro.

Quote:
For information, I did about 50km after the low fuel warning came on. All around 5000-6000 rpm. Filled 10 lts; so the bike should go around 70 km after the low fuel warning comes on.

Wow! That's really brave! Especially on a brand new bike. Was going through my fuel log, and the max I ever filled to top off the tank was 9.17 liters.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th October 2013 at 17:27.
Old 17th October 2013, 17:29   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Was going through my fuel log, and the max I ever filled to top off the tank was 9.17 liters.
THis filling was 9.78 lts.

Was not being very brave. Had 1 lt fuel with me (;-)) and was going thru civilization largely.

I know for a fact that the indicators work when the engine kill switch is off.
sridhu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 17:35   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That's really brave! Especially on a brand new bike. Was going through my fuel log, and the max I ever filled to top off the tank was 9.17 liters.
Dr - I did close to 43 kms. And the max i have filled so far is 9-9.25 around the same margin as yours. Didnt want to risk pushing the bike.

The 390 definitely appears to be doing well when not pushed over 7500 rpm. Between 5-6K the efficiency is actually very high.

I still believe i am getting close to 28-30 by simple maths of fuel money spent and kms driven.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 16:31   #55
BHPian

An update on what the good doc called CARMAG (Crusty Anally Retentive Middle Aged Guy) issues: the manager acted like he is my wife giving me the silent treatment until I asked him about how he plans to resolve the outstanding issues.

He gave me back 150 + 650 cash for the absent NSC and for the 3M treatment. I asked him a couple of times if he really wanted to resolve the issue this way & he confirmed. He even had me sign a voucher. I don't know who is advising him - he had just acknowledged fraud for trying to bill me for non existent goods & services thereby compounding the mistake.

I have no clue why he couldn't give my NSC & a receipt for the 3m coating. If the dealers are pocketing the money, it is a fraud without doubt.

The guy is apparently miffed because I had said he hung up on me in my communication w Bajaj. Seems to have gotten him into hot water. He certainly did; so don't know why it is ok for him to hang up but not for me to complain.

Since I want to ride the Flamberge rather than talk to the man, have dropped the matters there.
sridhu is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 15:40   #56

Sridhu, congratulations on the 390 and thanks for taking the time to pen down all these details!

I'm receiving my bike on Wednesday (Oct. 23rd). I've been seeing a lot of expert BHPians talking about their initial experiences with the Duke 390. Can anybody post the run in process they followed and how the bike responded after the 1st service?
siddhartharun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 09:52   #57
BHPian

Sridhu,

Have you been able to go above 7000 RPM? I tried today and found that no matter how much I twist the accelerator it doesnt go above that limit. Seems like there is some kind of hard limit that has been set in the initial break-in period
hsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 10:54   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
Sridhu,

Have you been able to go above 7000 RPM? I tried today and found that no matter how much I twist the accelerator it doesnt go above that limit. Seems like there is some kind of hard limit that has been set in the initial break-in period
I have gone around 8k rpm. So there is no hard limit. If you tried it in 6 th, then it will not go much beyond 7500
sridhu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 11:09   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I have gone around 8k rpm. So there is no hard limit. If you tried it in 6 th, then it will not go much beyond 7500
That could be it: I was opening up in 6th on the highway.
I have only run about 200 kms till now, will try soon in lower gears to check.
hsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 11:21   #60
Senior - BHPian

Try opening it up in frist and second to know what you have not seen from the 390.

Below 7500 RPM you have not seen the bike do what it does best and when you do that in the first 3 gears be assured you are reading above 100 while you shift to 4th.

Or when you are cruising at 4th around 50-60 try taking the rpm past 7K rpm and be assured of leaving the crowd behind when the crowd is not SBK's