Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th June 2014, 15:37   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Got one pair of LEDs from our well known Nana Peth.

Shree Spares :- It is authorized Royal Enfield Spare parts seller only. A pair of normal tiger lamps are being sold at Rupees 10 a pair. The pair that he showed me did not come in RE packaging and that might be the reason for less price. Inscription on bulb is as RAKESH 12V2W [but obvious he is not selling RE branded bulbs]. The shop is located at Bhavani Peth area, near to mutton market.

Bombay Scooter House :- This is the spare parts dealer of various models of two wheelers and was crowded to brim. Shop is bang opposite to a petrol pump. One really needs to shout to have himself heard. Also you need to be very sure about what you need. If in doubt, there are some guys available right in front of shop, who will help you with installation on a small fee. One pair of white LEDs for the tiger lamp cost me Rupees 140.

Earlier I had contacted the RE showroom and the price was quoted to be Rupees 15 a pair. By the way, inscription on the original RE provided bulbs are SWISS 12V2W. There is no inscription on LEDs but its a direct fit.

Below are the visiting cards if any one is interested

Name:  IMG_20140606_150244255001_ls.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  60.0 KB
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 23:02   #257
BHPian

Brother, I am unsure why you are calling 'parking lights' on an Enfield with the strange new name of 'tiger lamps' .

A new funky name changes nothing, just as Eicher purchasing the rights to use 'Royal' before 'Enfield' changed nothing ( On a different note, I only see the new buyers state the full name " Royal Enfield") !

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th June 2014 at 08:13. Reason: Please tone down your posts. Thanks!
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 23:14   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
The term "tiger lamps", I had read some where long before i had purchased my bullet. At the moment i do not have the reference for you, if I get it again, will surely draw your attention.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th June 2014 at 08:13.
Old 7th June 2014, 23:29   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
The term "tiger lamps", I had read some where long before i had purchased my bullet. At the moment i do not have the reference for you, if I get it again, will surely draw your attention.
Even I remember reading it as tiger eyes / tiger lamps
krdeshmukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 07:35   #260
BHPian

Below is extract from the Royal Enfield site

"HEADLAMP Ė TIGER EYES

The headlight casing features the Signature twin pilot lamps known as 'Tiger Eye Lamps' for that Bullet look. The headlamp is traditional but with a powerful halogen bulb to provide good illumination"

Link :- "http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/bullet-500#!special-features"

Now why will someone refer these as parking lights? .

***An Afternoon Well Spent***

I was observing for a couple of days that the right side horn does malfunction at times. Earlier had removed the connections and re plugged, but that did not solve the problem completely. So yesterday afternoon, I took a closer look and observed that one of the cables which connects to the horn is just hanging around by a thin strand. Took the connector to a local electrician, got some extra length soldered and the other end of the cable connected firmly to the loose end. Did the same with the other cable too, as it seemed to be on the brink of its life. Now the horn is functioning perfectly well. Am wondering if RE has ever heard of QC . Well by the way, the stock horns are Minda 12V.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 8th June 2014 at 07:50.
Old 8th June 2014, 18:53   #261
BHPian

Read the whole thread of 18 pages in a single sit. Reason being I booked a standard 350 a week ago and that too after taking a test ride of the standard 500.

The bullet bug bite me around a month back after joining couple of my old friends for a bike trip on my 15 year old reliable Yamaha YBX. After getting used to the comforts of an AC cooled drives my daily commute naturally shifted to the 4 wheels for almost 5 years now. My dormant love for bikes woke up when I realized my Yamaha YBX is due for re-registration next month. My poor trusted bike which served me from my school days now revealed more rust than paint. Without any doubts decided to restore my old bike back to her glorious days. After spending considerable amount from my kitty she has been restored to my liking.
Now coming back to the bullet bug bite . After restoring my trusted old bike decided for a short bike trip . Here comes my old college buddies with their Classic 350 . This is when I realized Yamaha YBX is not meant for touring anymore and on top of that I swapped my bike with my friend and that's when I got bitten . I am sure most of you guys must have gone through similar situations.

Here comes the most difficult part, convincing the wife. Her logic is simple, I stopped using bikes and I am not willing to sell my old bike on top of that I am going to buy a new one, a total waste of money. Somehow managed to brain wash her by giving lectures on to never compromise passion because of vitamin M. Now that was me convincing her, now came the part convincing me for a 350 or 500. To an extent even I am not sure on how frequently I am going to use the new bike. All I know is I need to own a Royal Enfield and brag about it all day long , of course the nirvana in hearing the thumps. After test riding the standard 500 I just couldnít stop thinking about it for at least 2 days. In the end after lot of deliberation I went and booked the standard 350 convincing myself that I will be satisfied with a sedate ride with sweet thumps after all its an Enfield . Speed has always been in my blood precisely the acceleration more than speed but just couldnít decide on spending an extra 50 K for just acceleration.

After reading this thread and thinking about going for an EMI option seemed like a perfect fit. I am definitely going to the show room tomorrow and am going to change my booking to the standard 500. Thanks to all the fellow bhpians for this and especially Majumdarda. Now my only slightest glitch here is are the carbs really inferior to the EFIís. I am a hard core fan on the looks of the standard and I always liked the forest green color.

Please help me out of this, if there is not much a difference between the carb and EFI then I am all set. Otherwise I will have to open up a lot more threads in this forum.
anoopash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 20:15   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopash View Post
... Thanks to all the fellow bhpians for this and especially Majumdarda. Now my only slightest glitch here is are the carbs really inferior to the EFIís. I am a hard core fan on the looks of the standard and I always liked the forest green color.
Hello Anoopash,

Actually it depends on what you are looking at. If you are looking at throttle response and crispiness, then EFIs are better. On a highway, if you wish to accelerate on the go, then the response is felt immediately on an EFI engine. But an EFI will never be out of radar from a Carb engine. Moreover it also depends upon the rider and his capability to extract the juice out of the machine.

If you consider the mileage , then Carbs are better. On approximation, in bumper to bumper city ride, I get around 35kmpl whereas my buddies get around 30kmpl. But this also depends on one's riding habit, his urge to feel the thump at the signals amongst other things.

By the way, below is the Youtube video which I still see and it very much depicts the rider and the B500. Requesting you to please have a look as well, if not already

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 20:55   #263
BHPian

Thank you Majumdarda for the quick reply. Are there any additional modifications one have to plan for while changing the silencer to the short bottle one ? Being on carb does it effect in anyways ?
anoopash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 22:36   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Majumdarda for the quick reply. Are there any additional modifications one have to plan for while changing the silencer to the short bottle one ? Being on carb does it effect in anyways ?
Hi Anoopash, I have actually not changed the silencer, but only the muffler. This has resulted in a slight increase in the audible thump in comparison to the stock. Its a direct fit and can be done at home quite easily. One thing worth mentioning is please do not change anything till the second servicing is over.

The fun with the REs is that there are innumerable possible ways by which one can modify the looks, performance, etc. It all depends on one's personal choice and availability of Vitamin M. Also every modification that we perform, definitely marks its foot-mark, in some way or other. My recent modification being the addition of the LEDs as the tiger lamps.

Name:  IMG_20140608_220543461001_ls.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  32.4 KB
Old 9th June 2014, 22:42   #265
BHPian

Here goes, went and changed my booking to STD 500 forest green. Feels so relieved now and now the real wait starts.

Majumdarda, how much did the muffler cost you. Why do you say only change the mufflers after the second service
Old 10th June 2014, 18:44   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Here goes, went and changed my booking to STD 500 forest green. Feels so relieved now and now the real wait starts.

Majumdarda, how much did the muffler cost you. Why do you say only change the mufflers after the second service
What's the waiting period like?

@majumdarda did you follow run-in procedures as mentioned in the manual?
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 19:09   #267
BHPian

Hey,

To the extent possible, yes. But might be not all times. Are you reffering to stay within speed limits or something else.

Regards,
Old 10th June 2014, 19:17   #268
BHPian

Hi balenopower ,

The waiting period here in Trivandrum for STD 500 forest green and Classic Chrome is just 2 months the rest of the models beyond 4 months. The STD 500 black's waiting period is also 4 months.
Old 10th June 2014, 22:00   #269
BHPian

Hi Majumdarda ,

You've been asking mobike008 about his custom built mufflers. Aren't you happy with the short bottle mufflers you have installed. Please do let me know since I had the same mod in mind and don't want to regret it later - thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 11:56   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Majumdarda ,

You've been asking mobike008 about his custom built mufflers. Aren't you happy with the short bottle mufflers you have installed. Please do let me know since I had the same mod in mind and don't want to regret it later - thanks
Hi anoopash,

The term "being happy" is quite subjective and matter of discussion. Have you heard the thump in his Maroon Marauder? I intend to install the same muffler, but only after completion of 9000K and that too if it can be couriered to Pune.

Regards,