Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd July 2014, 18:26   #301
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
I ride on a solo seat (not like this one but one with springs ) and I purchased it from a delhi based vendor called royalenfieldzone .com
Thank you dada. Can you please share an image of the seating assembly? Does it touch the petrol tank or mud guard, which may lead to scratches etc.

I have heard that Spring type seats of Classics tend to move in opposite direction at the time of turns, in speeds above 80. Whats your observation?

Royalenfield zone is good, but they cannot answer specific queries like I have asked you. They are just sellers. And same is with Sans.

Please advise

Thank you ROS, Just seen your post. Checking the site.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 2nd July 2014 at 18:33.
Majumdarda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:41   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Thank you dada. Can you please share an image of the seating assembly? Does it touch the petrol tank or mud guard, which may lead to scratches etc.

I have heard that Spring type seats of Classics tend to move in opposite direction at the time of turns, in speeds above 80. Whats your observation?

Royalenfield zone is good, but they cannot answer specific queries like I have asked you. They are just sellers. And same is with Sans.

Please advise
I tried to upload the image in my initial post but file size limit stopped me , I will try to scale it down if possible and upload a few shots for reference tonight .

Yes the seat scratched my rear fender initially and even chipped the paint( I got my bike repainted and it was not done properly , the factory job is likely more resistant ) a little bit but I solved that by padding the bottom of the seat where contact was happening with a pad of foam leather held by duct tape - it is not apparent so doesn't affect the aesthetics of the bike .

Another issues I faced was the bolt where the front of the seat is clamped to the chassis tend to get loose over time resulting in a very annoying noise and some swaying , I was recommended by my mechanic to purchase a better bolt (can't recall the name/type ) but at that time I contended myself with oiling the area bit and since then it hasn't really been an issue .

3rd is the springs are weak , not weak as in complete deal breaker but weak nonetheless - this was the prime reason why the seat was scratching the fender , this also resulted in swaying if I tried to move my body around - straight line there is no issues , my seat is very thin but the soft spring makes it comfortable , I negotiate turns in speeds around 30 or less so can't comment if higher speed turns will make the sprung seat behave in a problematic manner. I should mention that I weighed 101 kg and in the last 3 months have dropped down to 85 and I find this to have improved the handling characteristics of the bike itself , my friends of more modest weight didn't compress the spring as much back then .
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 19:00   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
There are seat makers in Mumbai who can make something like this. You can get better ideas from the Lepera site. I had sent them a query in 97 and they responded with a full brochure of their seats and how to make them. Also the classic seats with springs are available.

RoS
I just sent an e-mail to them, but not too sure if they will share how to make the seats? Looking at the models, I wonder if someone out here will be able to make. And even if they are able to make, how much will they quote. My Single seat budget is 1500 at the max. Not at all interested in going for a pillion, as its the curve of the fender, I want to flaunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Yes the seat scratched my rear fender initially and even chipped the paint
That is my main concern. If the seat chips off the paint, then no matter how much padding etc one applies, it is bound to leave a mark, which will not vanish. Moreover paint quality of RE is not that good, if I compare with my Pulsar. Wifey told me that because of the pinstripping, the paint is made thinner for better pinstripping, but what about the remaining body part?

Is there any available options which will seat rigidly on the two screws? I seriously wonder.
Majumdarda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:20   #304
BHPian

Touched "8888" yesterday. An achievement, thank you all for your support and advise.
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_20140702_104248551__.jpg
Majumdarda is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:04   #305
BHPian

100 More to go.....
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1404369197.780254.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  112.5 KB
girishar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:56   #306
BHPian

Hi Guys I need an mobile holder on my Bullet 500, which I can use it as GPS so need to clip on the handle bar or something like that.. Anybody has any idea about the same and where can i get it?

Girish
Thumper
girishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:11   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishar View Post
Hi Guys I need an mobile holder on my Bullet 500, which I can use it as GPS so need to clip on the handle bar or something like that.. Anybody has any idea about the same and where can i get it?

Girish
Thumper
Hi Girish,

Try ebay. There are plenty of options available. I find ebay to have much more options for auto accessories when compared to other online shopping sites. Auto trends can be another alternate site.

Happy motoring!!!
adarsh.n is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:12   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Make sure that your motorcycle is not having excessive cam gear lash. The service manual remarks on checking valve lash and adjusting @ 500Kms, ie, the first service. Unfortunately RE service centers ignore this direction and just comments the valve lash as ordinary engine sound. My motorcycle had this sound and due to my ignorance, I believed them. Now the only solution left for me is the costly replacement of cam gears (inlet and exhaust).
regards adrian
Hi Adrian , please do excuse on my ignorance . Could you please explain more on the valve lash in layman's language. I am heading out for my first service to Marikar (yes very much in Trivandrum) and I definitely don't want that unattended by the service personal .
anoopash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:01   #309
BHPian

There was Haji Imran in Andheri Mumbai who should be able to to what you want without damaging the paint on your bike. Check if you can find him. he is too good.

RoS
rulerofsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:12   #310
BHPian

Now and Then....

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-now_and_then.jpg
girishar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 16:22   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopash View Post
Hi Adrian , please do excuse on my ignorance . Could you please explain more on the valve lash in layman's language. I am heading out for my first service to Marikar (yes very much in Trivandrum) and I definitely don't want that unattended by the service personal .
Hi friend, you must be aware that the valves in the uces are lifted by Cam gears through the hydraulic lifters and push rods ( inlet cam gear lifts the intake valve and exhaust camgear lifts the exhaust. These cam gears are mounted on eccentric sleeves so that the free play among them can be adjusted. Some bullets during the initial running develops a free play among the cam gears which is quite noisy and eventually results in the destruction of the gears if left un attended.
Please see these youtube videos for more on this

The method of adjusting the valve lash in the video is entirely different from what prescribed in the UCE service manual but you will understand what is meant by valve lash from them.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 3rd July 2014 at 16:32. Reason: adding videos
adrian is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:23   #312
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post. I am sorry for something I have wrongly keyed in. Please read what I keyed in as valve lash to cam gear lash. Valve lash in the new uces are automatically adjusted by the hydraulic lifters.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 01:14   #313
BHPian

Adrian , Thank you for the post. If at all one need to hear the backlash would it be while the bike is idling or while riding ?
anoopash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 10:30   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopash View Post
Adrian , Thank you for the post. If at all one need to hear the backlash would it be while the bike is idling or while riding ?
@anoopash : The cam gear lash sound will be present at idle and the sound increases in repetition (not in loudness) with increase in rpm. Check for metallic sounds like an amplified sewing machine.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 10:42   #315
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@anoopash : The cam gear lash sound will be present at idle and the sound increases in repetition (not in loudness) with increase in rpm. Check for metallic sounds like an amplified sewing machine.
regards adrian
Hey adrian,

Regarding this cam gear sound, is it sound coming from the crank to cam gear or is it the sound of the pushrod hitting against the cam lobes?

Also, can you please tell us if this cam gear lash sound can be reduced by making a few adjustments somewhere or the other?
Tgo is online now   Reply With Quote