Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 15th September 2014, 16:02   #346
BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Got a reminder for renewal of two wheeler insurance from the Icici Lombard. Completed that in a fly. Amount paid is 2730, with no extra frills. Amun-Ra was bought on 5th October 2013 and look, one year is about to be completed. Time surely waits for none. I still remember the shoe stealing incident though
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2014, 02:22   #347
BHPian

Last year when I had got Amun-Ra, I could not participate in the Rider Mania 2013 as the run in was not completed. So this time, the zeal to join the Rider Mania is going strong. I just observed that the registration has opened on the Royal Enfield page, though I will register through my group of rider buddies.

The only thing that I have to carry for my luggage for three days, is probably a Tailbag, as I do not want to invest anything above Rupees 2000. I already have a Tankbag which will take care of my camera stuff. Friends, any innovative ideas for carrying my baggage for three days, which can also be used as back support at the time of the ride from Pune to Goa.
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 16:31   #348
BHPian

Today is the 4th of October, 2014.
If incase any one has speculated, tomorrow is the birthday of Amun-Ra and below is the very first picture that I had uploaded the last year.

Name:  IMG_5463.JPG
Views: 1701
Size:  203.5 KB

This morning while I was cleaning my Amun-Ra, there was only one thought doing its rounds. "So Soon". Seems, it was just a few days back that you had come to stay with us and its going to be one complete year tomorrow. Time really flies fast, rather with you I think "in a jiffy". Thank you very much for staying there with me all the time and giving me the trust and confidence, to ride a Bullet, a little more like a true Bulleteer.
Old 4th October 2014, 22:31   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
A great detailing work performed on my Amun-Ra this Sunday.

Attachment 1158892

Please refer the below thread for more detailed inputs.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3277477

Best regards,
@Majumdara
It's been a year since you showed off the detailing done and I love it. I've just taken delivery of my TBTS 500 and want something similar on my bike. Please could you PM me the contact details for torquecurve?
vivtho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 23:48   #350
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to both of you.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 15:58   #351
BHPian

Below are some of the images which I took yesterday, after the small garlanding at my home.

Same Spot

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_0707001_rs.jpg

Shades

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_0710001_rs.jpg

One year running

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_0715001_rs.jpg

With a promise of more to come

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_0721001_rs.jpg

Under the watchful eyes

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_0726001_rs.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
...Please could you PM me the contact details for torquecurve?
I do not see any message option as you are still in newbie status. Do send me a PM and I will send you his contact details right away. Welcome to the Bulleteer's Family. Ride safe and enjoy the fullest.

Kind regards,

Last edited by Majumdarda : 6th October 2014 at 16:00.
Old 28th October 2014, 19:59   #352
BHPian

It seems that the streets of Pune are having a considerable presence of B500 these days. This was not the scene a couple of months back, but all of a sudden the interest has come for this specific model too. Obviously feels good to see another well maintained B500 doing its round, but the way things are going with RE and their ever increasing sales, I sincerely wish that the roads are not cluttered with Bullets
Old 7th November 2014, 19:41   #353
BHPian

Fifth Paid servicing completed at 11659.
Over all cost to pocket is 2446.
The cost was huge this time as I changed the following along with regular servicing.

> Air Filter
> Spark Plugs (both)
> Engine oil and filter
> Front and rear brake pads

I was quite surprised to find out that the Front disk pads were totally worn out. Infact it probably answers why I observed those minute misses. I just looked at the pads and had a good open eyed staring. The pads were totally gone and it seemed that it was riding on the metal base itself. Strange that I did not observe any loss of braking power and neither were there sounds coming out. Off course I paid the price for this negligence, and the disk ring shows clear sign of it. I wonder how have I missed it, even though I clean my Amun-Ra. No Disk Brake top up was required as advised by servicing guys. Also replaced the rear brake liners as it was advised for the same. Both the spart plugs were replaced and they are into my possession. As per the guys, the spark plugs are good to go for another 11k, but these will now serve as my backup (I have got them cleaned up for my tool box addition). Simillarly the Air FIlter has also been replaced, the original to serve the purpose the role of back up. I intend to put up the pictures of the old spark plugs and the air filter in the Enfiled Queries, for experts to advise if there is some thing amiss in the engine etc.

So in short, its one job done and I am now more confident for the Goa Ride now. Below comes another fun (pun intended)

Service Center Ordeal

> Reached the Brahma Service Center at 8:30 AM, post my night shift
> Had already intimated by arrival a day before, as its their new process. They will only take a limited lot in a single day.
> Daily chores started approximately at 9 am at the Service Center.
> Yunis, the guy who works on my B500, and the only one I trust, seems to the center of attranction, whose involvement is required for screw tightening to screw procurring on anything and everything.
> Every now and then some other owner comes up, with "chota sa problem" and only Yunis has to attend to it.
> After much requests and reminders, my Amun-Ra is up the ramps at 11:49 AM.
> MERE FRUSTRATION
> All the above activities sans wash, gets completed around 1:00 PM.
> Till 2:10 PM there is none available for the washing and the guy informs me that he will touch only at 2:30 PM. Reason, he just ate and is feeling too letharjic.

Guys what you would have done in this situation? From 9 am till 2 pm its already 5 hours, and these guys still have my B500 with them. As repeated requests were falling on deaf ears, I called up the RSM, and inquired what does he expect if he were in my shoes? What is the value of time according to RE? Conference call is setup with the owner (yashwant) and below is some excerpt

> Yeshwant : Our work load is huge today, with a few taking unannounced off, a few sick (not too sure if being sick and still present) and few new.
> I : What is the value of time at your service center and how do you Justify this huge delay?
> Y : We are working as you know (yeah, crap!) and there is pending lot (yeah, with empty ramps)
> I : But I see empty ramps
> Y : Are you at the shop? There are other things to be taken care off too which you cannot understand looking at the empty ramps
> I : Yes definitely, but only one guy has to run to attend to all errands while rest are just being idle busy calling for this one guy.
> Y : To the ASM, I cannot help here if customer wants to have his bike delivered right on the go
> ASM : But why is it taking such a long time...
> Y : Becomes agitated and goes on giving all excuses like persons come every now and then for making some small fixes, some minor works, but "Why a single person on ramp has to attend to this?" No clear answer, (in-fact no straight answers to any questions)
[E v e n a f t e r l o n g c o n f c a l l ] : No Fruitful Gains. mere time waste. Y has all the headache of the world and he cares little if one comes after night shift or what. He will intimate the owner once the servicing is over and he wants owners to keep his bullet, I will not do the same as I do not trust and wonder how will they perform.

At last its decided that going forward, I will have to call up the Service center, fix a time slot and he will make sure that my Amun-Ra is attended to at that slot only. This sounds too good to be true and too story telling. no sorry for this huge time delay. Dare I expect the same, the way he was sounding agitated and intimidating on the call, I really wish to meet this unprofessional guy, out of his comfort sphere.

I only visit this showroom as this guy Yunis has really done very good job on my B500 in the past and hence do not let others work on it. But if one has to waste approx 6 hours just for some work which at the max can take 2, I wonder what is Royal Enfield trying to achieve (Maintaining their Dealers/distributors is also a task of the RE I believe). I had said earlier, there is no problems with the machines, [machines are meant to be given attention to] its the men who needs to change. Being able to sell a bike across the counter and increasing your road presence means nothing if you cannot provide timely service, in a proficient manner.
Old 8th November 2014, 07:01   #354
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
At last its decided that going forward, I will have to call up the Service center, fix a time slot and he will make sure that my Amun-Ra is attended to at that slot only.
Oil changes etc are okay since you know what your'e dealing with. Some time later as the Bullet ages you will have to tell the mechanics problems "There's this kind of sound coming from this part" or "This type of vibration is felt in the footpegs at this rpm at this speed in this gear" that's when you start seeing your bike off for 3-4 days for its service visits.

Quote:
I only visit this showroom as this guy Yunis has really done very good job on my B500 in the past and hence do not let others work on it.
I only go to the service center that I go to because there are some good mechanics who do off the record jobs. Being a mechanical engineer and anal about everything on my bike being in proper mechanical soundness, it speaks a lot when you find a missing split pin has been replaced or the chain has been cleaned before a re-lube or some rusted pieces on the frame/battery box/kick-stand bracket have been protected with a coating of paint. It's also the only service center we have here.

Last edited by Tgo : 8th November 2014 at 07:02.
Tgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 09:12   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
...Some time later as the Bullet ages you will have to tell the mechanics problems "There's this kind of sound coming from this part" or "This type of vibration is felt in the footpegs at this rpm at this speed in this gear" that's when you start seeing your bike off for 3-4 days for its service visits.
Completely agree with you, but for that I need to have the confidence built up on these guys. If that is not happening, how can I?

And another reason to stay with my Amun-Ra, is I have seen that the moment the owner goes off, the bikes are sidelined and as a result, the delivery delayed. But obvious I do not expect time management from these workshop guys; But the store owners. Unfortunately they seem more like like a son-in-law to the RE

I fail to understand that really how difficult it is for the RE management to bring everything in line. Is it that difficult and not achievable? I had faced the same apathy with Bajaj (10 years back) and hence First Free Servicing was the Last Free Servicing. Seems with the 10 year cushion, I could at least have the Four Free Services completed
Old 8th November 2014, 09:58   #356
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
But the store owners. Unfortunately they seem more like like a son-in-law to the RE
Let me explain you the scene here. Seems similar to what you experienced. We'll come to the owner later.

The first barrier, so called, because its the first step where your inputs get mis-interpreted is the hurry in which they start taking in customers in between 9 to 9:30 since everyone wants to drop the bike and get to their offices with least delay.

The second barrier, is the service advisors who listen to your complaints and jot down 2-3 words on the job cards The mechanics who barely understand English in written form are supposed to read the job card and find out what needs to be done. In another workshop which had been running for 35 years in Mangalore where I bought the bike from (used, through mechanics) the job cards were prepared by the mechanics themselves. Somethings that had to be done from outside were taken care of by the mechanic who is working on the bike in his supervision (not left to the mercy of the outside walla). They used to take in bikes not more than 2-3 per person at a time. Worked on one bike till all jobs were completed in entirety. And I never had to wait for more than 2 days for regular service and 10 days for a complete dis assembly, bend removal and re-assembly. I was more satisfied by the old school way since I knew what exactly was going on. Here they think keeping the customer comfortable in the A/C room is going to make him give you a good feedback rather than letting him know whats going on (which usually is very little).

Neither does the SA have the time to go for a test ride nor the mechanic while the bike is being taken in for repair/service. The test ride is also merely a 100 m up and down course which is sensibly only enough to tell you whether the wheels have been installed on the bike or not.

Such is the state of affairs. On my last visit to drop off the bike their parking lot had just about enough space for receiving 6 bikes for service. One of the worst managed service stations among all sorts of manufacturers in India.

The only part I enjoy is chatting with the guy in the Stores who is very knowledgeable, knows what to find where and knows what role does each part play. I could over the past few visits, source things like only the speedometer mechanism with face plate instead of the whole pod, lenses for indicators and a Thunderbird decal which goes up on the backrest.
Tgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 13:25   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

The second barrier, is the service advisors who listen to your complaints
I hate to see them snigger at you when you say that you hear such and such sounds from your machine as if you have dreamed up the whole thing. They won't write down what you say in the job card and what they write down will be entirely different from the original problem.
I went to the now closed RE workshop in Trivandrum and said my problem as the motorcycle idling fine only with fuel screw 6 turns out where the company setting was 3 +/ - 1 turn. What they wrote in the job - Mileage tuning When I returned in the evening, the carburetor was set at 4 turns out with idle hanging and the machine backfiring even at idle. Asked about it and got the answer that it is the prescribed company setting and the backfiring is due to the type of silencer, which was stock.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 19:06   #358
BHPian

Exactly. They are being paid to listen to the customer, try to deduce the problem and then possibly suggest replacements if might be required (to the customer) and make a correct entry in the JC. He is earning and he is accountable. Alas, if it comes out of the manuals and gets implemented. But obvious, the technician will read it (makes sense if its in Marathi here) and will fine tune to the exact cause of the problem and repair the same. But in order to do so, obviously a most appropriate entry has to be made.

I do not know that how much valid is this, but one of my friends was saying that these so called technicians at the REs are basically trained to work on Bajaj / Splendors and then come here. RE does not provide individual training to all but only a few get it. Its the responsibility of that trained soul to impart it to the remaining folks. I do not know how much valid it is, but my friend is associated with Bajaj and therefore makes some sense to listen to his views. And if its indeed the case, then the only purpose of the Dealership is to sell. And that is all. No services to be performed at RE authorized centers because I understand its nearly the same situation everywhere.
Old 8th November 2014, 20:33   #359
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I hate to see them snigger at you when you say that you hear such and such sounds from your machine as if you have dreamed up the whole thing. They won't write down what you say in the job card and what they write down will be entirely different from the original problem.
So today, after getting the message a second time that the bike is ready I make a visit to the service center only to return empty handed.
The culprit is the clanking sound on bumpy roads when the front end is loaded (under braking)
The first time they just centered the steering by adjusting the cones.
Second time they changed the ball and race kit.
Today they say its because I weight as much has half of what the bike does which from their point of view is too much.
And have finally agreed to check the fork legs/fork tube bushes/damper disc which I had asked them to check in the first place. And they happily keep charging stuff they put on the bike without seeing if the problem is resolved or not. Which is because they didn't pay attention to what the problem was in the first place. And they think I don't know what they're up to.

Quote:
I do not know that how much valid is this, but one of my friends was saying that these so called technicians at the REs are basically trained to work on Bajaj / Splendors and then come here.
While there should be no difference in understanding the mechanical aspect of the bike whether its a Bajaj or an Enfield, I do agree to the fact that exposure to one brand is way more than it is to the other and that has to do with the affordability of the brands. Bajaj bikes, are more affordable, more in number on the roads, have more workshops servicing them hence the mechanics working on them have seen every sort of problem that can occur in them and know what to do and when. That's why Old hands on CI bullets work like a charm.

Bikes when they don't run well have the same kind of problems (vibrations, sounds, wobbles) be it Bajaj or Enfield, only thing different is the way they communicate the problem to the user.

Side Note:
Just take the case of the warranty provided by RE on their engine, If I'm right its just 1 Year or 12,000 km. ***! You want people to tour on these bikes across India? And I believe RE hasn't tested their UCE range (or any range for that matter) over more than what my bike has on the Odometer. If they had, their recommended service intervals would not have ended at 30K after which you are in the hands of the vague service advisors dressed in RE branded shirts (How neat!).
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 12:33   #360
BHPian

Post mortem for fifth servicing in below thread. Just in case any one wonders what happened at the servicing and the outcome.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3576667 (Royal Enfield Queries)

Tgo :- You should also see the arrogance of these store owners if you ever highlight any issue to them. With regards to the time waste issue which I highlighted and while I was on the conf call with the RE rep and this store owner, the way the store owner was talking on the call, I doubted whether he is doing a pity to RE for selling their product.

And now with the number of REs on the road, I seriously doubt if they have some secret pact or something. It seems all of a sudden the sales have increased proportionally. Yes, a new plant has come up, but that one definitely has some problems too (RE past exp). Also TVs do not show much of RE advertisements. Then who is pushing the sales figure. Its just not possible that all of a sudden the common man has become brand conscious. [You can just have a look at the roads in Pune, its at least 2 REs at every traffic junctions in the city, with their uncivilized silencers [the name in itself has lost its meaning]]

Off-course this is not a thread to discuss on the same, but definitely I intend to ask this to some big shot with RE if there has been some pact between the RE and the Store owners.

Last edited by Majumdarda : 10th November 2014 at 12:37.