Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th November 2013, 09:49   #1

Unhappy Tanker reverses over Hero Honda Xtreme. Need help rebuilding it

Hi All,

I need some help (actually a friend of mine needs the help).

My friends bike (hero Honda CBZ xtreme) was run over by a water tanker near a construction site, thanks to an overzealous tractor driver.. The bike was parked on the side of the road, and the reversing tanker ran over it.

The bike is literally bent and will need a complete body overhaul. I am posting the video of the bike after the mash up; kindly help me with regards to the parts that might be required to be replaced, and any place to source it.

I have suggested to take the bike to the nearest Honda Motor Corp service centre, so that he can get some genuine parts put in, however, he is more inclined towards a local mechanic to work on it.
Checking with the local mechanic, the swing arms are bent, with a slight bend on the main chassis body as well. So as far as I can see from the video, the following need to be replaced:
1. Back body fibre parts
2. Swing-arm rods
3. Bend in the chassis needs to be removed
4. Maybe a back Tyre set change
5. Front fork set, steering column, and handle

Is it worth to change all this and have a stable ride, I also suggested that he can try going for a new bike. Well sentiments and all that, which i do agree he wants it repaired. He was able to source out 20k from the construction contractor responsible towards bike repairs.

So please help with any suggestions.

Cheers
The BULK!
The BULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 10:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tanker reverses over Hero Honda Xtreme. Need help rebuilding it

Good that you have 20 K as compensation. Now, don't you have insurance? This looks like a fit candidate for Total Loss. If you do, then you can get yourself a brand new replacement.

Repairs can be done on this, although that too would cost quite a bit. However, you will NEVER get the desired levels of stability and handling after this kind of repair work.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Good that you have 20 K as compensation. Now, don't you have insurance? This looks like a fit candidate for Total Loss. If you do, then you can get yourself a brand new replacement.
Repairs can be done on this, although that too would cost quite a bit. However, you will NEVER get the desired levels of stability and handling after this kind of repair work.
Well! my friend does not want to put it at a total loss, he wants to salvage the bike. My suggestion as well for a brand new replacement. Insurance is not covering the plastics, and he does not want to claim anything (his decision- i cannot force him) hope sense prevails.
he wants to go for a local mechanic, while am suggesting walking into the authorized service center.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BULK View Post
I need some help (actually a friend of mine needs the help).
Very sane advice from Roy_Libran. It is good that your friend managed 20k. Use the insurance to write off the bike as total loss and get a new one. It cannot be fixed to OEM level of reliability and stability so it will be dangerous to take this up.

But if he is very sentimental and wants to get the bike repaired, then best to get it done at the company outlet with OEM parts. It might cost a tad more but it is worth the peace of mind. Whatever does not get covered in the 20k that he has managed from the tractor guy will surely be covered by the insurance if he gets it done at the A.S.S
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Very sane advice from Roy_Libran. It is good that your friend managed 20k.
==========Whatever does not get covered in the 20k that he has managed from the tractor guy will surely be covered by the insurance if he gets it done at the A.S.S
, will try and convince him on taking these steps. Even I feel its not worth getting the bike done up.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

It can never ever be brought back to original shape and trim; not even at the authorized workshop. Replacing it is the only way.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Red face re: Tanker reverses over Hero Honda Xtreme. Need help rebuilding it

Surprised to note the inclination of your friend toward the local mechanic rather than Honda workshop. Best way is to claim insurance and check if the bike can be declared a total loss.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 12:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BULK View Post
Hi All, I need some help (actually a friend of mine needs the help).
1.Writing of the bike as total loss will be the best option. As your friend got 20k from the management, he can surely buy a new bike with the amount from insurance company and compensation he got from the management.

2.If he have a emotional attachment with the bike, give it to the company service centre and do the repair with genuine parts. He can meet the cost of repair with an insurance claim and the amount he got as compensation.
AshwinThekkan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 12:42   #9

Thank you all!!
Have been able to convince him on the total loss part, though end of the day it is his decision.
So will keep updating on his decision, hopefully he goes for a new bike, sad for the bike to meet its end like this.

Cheers!!
The BULK
The BULK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote