Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 6th January 2014, 10:55   #1
BHPian

Default New York Times article on the Royal Enfield

Our oldest continuously produced motorcycle in the world id takes its space in NYTimes with a comparison with Harleys.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/04/bu...the-world.html

I thought our RE dudes would love to read this. Cheers to RE riders!

Quote:
The Royal Enfield Bullet, often described as the oldest continuously produced motorcycle in the world, is a cult product for enthusiasts who love it for its vintage feel as much as for the thrum of its engine.

Muscular and pliant, the Bullet — an Indian-made avatar of an old British brand — has found renewed popularity over the last few years, as leisure motorcycling in India has blossomed. Its manufacturer, Royal Enfield Motors, sold almost 175,000 motorcycles —Bullets as well as three other brands — in 2013.

The company is now looking to push harder into British and American markets, hoping to follow in the wake of other Indian motor vehicle manufacturers that have competed hard with overseas brands even as their peers in other industries have struggled.

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2014 at 13:48. Reason: Excerpt
agbenny is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 12:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: New York Times article on the Royal Enfield

Very true,

a meditative motorcycle on a Bullet on the highway, you feel alone and happy, also said that his Bullet would negotiate the Himalayas perfectly well, but then would break down in a trip to the grocery store."
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 15:28   #3
BHPian

This news article seems spread out on Times of India and NDTV as well and matches word-to-word. Now NYT carrying this article only makes me think its just publicity stunt by the company.

Prajwal

Sources:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/a-...e-world-466863
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/28379244.cms

Last edited by prajwalkashyap : 6th January 2014 at 15:33.
prajwalkashyap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 16:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
This news article seems spread out on Times of India and NDTV as well and matches word-to-word. Now NYT carrying this article only makes me think its just publicity stunt by the company.

Prajwal

Sources:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/a-...e-world-466863
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/28379244.cms
Hmm.... Do you think RE can influence that much? In fact, unlike other companies they are very slow in implementing anything. I was always wondering why they couldn't become another Harley. Couple of my clients from USA have seen my Thunderbird and they found it very interesting, more than a Harley.
But RE never captured market, with slow improvisations, lesser product stabilization, investments on innovations have always been slow until last decade.
I love to see them more popular than what they are now.
agbenny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 18:55   #5
BHPian

I've often meant to ask RE owners this question:

Why do you buy an RE, given how unreliable I've heard them to be, and how few mechanics actually can service them?

A lot of RE purchasers seem to buy it for the exhaust note. To me, it's just noise pollution and a nuisance.

That apart, if the owners like it for the power, comfort or any other factor or feature then that's their call, but please spare my ear drums.

Last edited by hellmet : 6th January 2014 at 19:00.
hellmet is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 19:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Hellemt - Not sure about others bro, but I own an RE because I love RE. As the saying goes, love is blind

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 19:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I've often meant to ask RE owners this question:

Why do you buy an RE, given how unreliable I've heard them to be, and how few mechanics actually can service them?

A lot of RE purchasers seem to buy it for the exhaust note. To me, it's just noise pollution and a nuisance.

That apart, if the owners like it for the power, comfort or any other factor or feature then that's their call, but please spare my ear drums.
I am not sure about the exhaust note alone. It is among all the other experiences that make an RE.

Here is an excerpt from a friend of mine in the movie industry

"Dude: dude..how much a 2nd hand bullet would cost ?
Me : depends on what you need. why do you need a bullet ?
to ride
long rides ?

Dude: yes
Me: pls understand that old bullets are whiney bikes and you have to dedicate a lot of time and effort to keep it in tip top shape these are no fil it, shut it, forget it bikes

Dude: i know bro
Me: with that said, whats your budget ? .... "
adityasiera is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 20:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Both these links have mentioned their source as "The New York Times News Service"

I am not an avid fan of RE but I personally feel that RE is working up its way and is working hard to improve the quality and reliability of its vehicles.

Kudos to RE.
katchkamalesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 20:55   #9
BHPian

Nice to see RE merges the modern and classic in a nice way.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 23:04   #10
BHPian

I think RE is definitely gearing up big time and has felt the importance of "customers". For one, the GTs are getting delivered soon. The Bullet 500s are also being delivered as soon as possible. Now this is a stark contrast to what RE used to do in the past. Yes, things are a bit slow with RE, but, that is Royal Enfield for you my dear friends, a bit of royalty in everything it does
Majumdarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 00:01   #11
BHPian

Ever since my childhood days I have always seen Royal Enfield as a bikers delight. Almost everyone, I knew had a desire to own this bike. Some could manage to own the other felt it is too heavy and with the brake on the left it is difficult to drive. Some of them who could not own would always complain about hard kick starting. (I was myself one of those who couldn't own).

During my childhood days this was more popular as a police bike and military bike. Those were the days when it use to compete with Yezdi, Jawa, Rajdoot.

Today the scenario has changed, there is lot of awareness. Increase in purchasing power coupled with fine taste for machines has brought it back to limelight.

Moreover, we all should feel proud of the fact that an Indian company has pulled itself out of red and today it has reached a stage where it has been able to generate interest in western countries and is catering to their demands.

I also recall an old hindi advertisement of early 80's which still holds true today as well and I quote that
" Yeh bullet meri jaan, man zillion ka nishaan,
Zindagi ek safar, chalaza shamon sahar,
Iski raftaar ki, bat hai aur hi,
Lambi rahoon pe, ye kya gazab ki chale,
Raste taye kare, Faasle taye kare,
Yeh bullet, yeh bullet,
Enfield Bullet, Gazab ki Sawari"

link to the above advertisement.

Last edited by mints21 : 7th January 2014 at 00:06.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 03:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think it is understandable that many people feel the Royal Enfield Bullet is somewhat unreliable.
After all, it has been produced for over 60 years and until recently its old design was little changed.

These old designs often were often unreliable. Engines needed to be rebuilt often. The tradition of Lucus's smoking wiring lingered on. Fussy carburetors plugged their jets and often would foul the spark plug when it wasn't busy letting the fuel out of the petrol tank of an unattended bike.
Valve clatter due to wear could be a monthly issue and oil blowing out of the crankcase breather was common (not to mention the traditional oil leaks common to all old British designs).

The new Unit Construction Engine corrected a number of the weaknesses of the old Iron Barrel engine such as the connecting rod big end bearing, the weak oil pump design and the fussy clutch.
Hydraulic valve lifters eliminated the need to adjust the valves and the rollers on the lifters has eliminated the wear problems.

Improved or redesigned gaskets have stopped the oil leaks and improved materials for the valves, piston and piston rings plus a modern air filter has eliminated the wear that caused many of the older engines to need to be rebuilt.

Royal Enfields attitude towards correcting design weaknesses and quality issues has also improved.
Problems that have surfaced with the new bikes are addressed and the new improved parts are incorporated into production as soon as testing has proven them.
A look at the revised wiring harness, the type of light bulbs used and the front fork design on some models to name a few things shows this to be true.

I don't think that my 2011 G5 (Electra) 500cc fuel injected Royal Enfield is unique except for the O2 sensor the export models have and it is proving to be one of the most reliable motorcycles I've owned in over 50 years. That includes my Honda 400F, Honda CX500 and the BMW K-75 which I purchased new in the late 1970's.

IMO, Royal Enfields biggest problem is living down the reputation of the thousands of old Iron Barrel motorcycles they have sold over the last 50+ years.

As time goes by, the new UCE's reliability will prove itself and the general thinking about these great motorcycles will change for the better.

In the meantime, Royal Enfields new Continental GT and its efforts to improve the existing models will continue to convince people that Royal Enfield is working to win new owners by producing quality motorcycles.

Enjoy the ride. I know I do.
ArizonaJim is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 04:36   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Hmm.... Do you think RE can influence that much? In fact, unlike other companies they are very slow in implementing anything. I was always wondering why they couldn't become another Harley. Couple of my clients from USA have seen my Thunderbird and they found it very interesting, more than a Harley.
But RE never captured market, with slow improvisations, lesser product stabilization, investments on innovations have always been slow until last decade.
I love to see them more popular than what they are now.
America is a vast country with never ending freeways. You need something with more torque,power and straight-line performance than what a 500 cc Bullet can put out.

Harley riders consider the Sportster 800 as a baby Harley & lacking in oomph
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 09:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This news article seems spread out on Times of India and NDTV as well and matches word-to-word. Now NYT carrying this article only makes me think its just publicity stunt by the company. Prajwal Sources: http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/a-...e-world-466863 http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/28379244.cms
It clearly mentions author from New York Times, news industry has exchange of news and content where NYT content is used by ToI and NDTV with due credits. It's been going on for several years, nothing new about it
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 14:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
IMO, Royal Enfields biggest problem is living down the reputation of the thousands of old Iron Barrel motorcycles they have sold over the last 50+ years.
Then again, Royal Enfield is Royal Enfield precisely because of the tens and hundreds of thousands of those very same old Iron Barrel motorcycles they have sold since the 1950s. A respected and legendary marque.

Without those, the UCE today would be just another bike, and a pretty underpowered and agricultural one at that by modern standards, all these improvements notwithstanding.
ebonho is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote