Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2014, 22:20   #31
M35
BHPian
 
M35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: KL 9
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Update:
  • Went to the Bajaj dealer yesterday.
  • Took a test ride of Avenger 220.

Riding was comfortable but I was very disappointed with the overall refinement. The fit and finish was not up to what I want in my bike and the first gear [in the test ride bike] was never precise any time. A second test ride with my wife [pillion] this time, helped me make the final decision on Avenger. Though did not like, thought of checking out a P200NS in black & yellow. I sat and asked my wife to climb on it, which she did eventually but was never in a mood to do it again. We left the dealership disappointed.

Meanwhile, we thought of checking out RE Thunderbird 350. Went to the only one RE dealership, which had only a Thunderbird 350 in their showroom. Both me and wife were satisfied with the beast but put off by the long waiting period. Was there one available ready for delivery yesterday, even within a week, we would have paid him Rs.1.4 Lac and booked one immediately.

We thought of making a booking for a RE Thunderbird 350 in the future such that it gets delivered by the time we are back in India next time. Took his contact details and left the showroom. Didn’t feel the need to visit other showrooms, as it was pretty clear what our next bike is.

Sorry to disappoint you all this time around and thanks once again for your all your feedback.
M35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 15:22   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .
Posts: 479
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Mind sharing some more details?

This guy has had everything from bajaj as in bikes. This avenger had electical issues that probiking show room could'nt sort out. The starter motor and the alternator were the last straw. They did not have a replacement for one of those and he had to wait more than a month, until they did a pulsar 220 thing on his bike. He sold his bike in a week. Might be a freak case. Lack of spares, critical components esp can tip the scales. It did for him. Ive never had seen anyone go from a pulsar to a ZMA . And he did.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 16:16   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 27
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Having owned 2 Bajaj bikes in the past (Caliber and XCD125) , I would say stay away from them. They are great bikes for the first 6-12 months but then the engine gets rough, gear shifting gets sticky, chain keeps getting loose etc. etc.

I remember that I had to visit the service station almost every month with my Caliber for various problems which finally ended in a cylinder re-bore after 30k distance

Recently have become a proud owner of a RE Electra 5s (used) which I got for 80k having run just 15k kms.

The seating on the 5s Electra is a single seat so my wife enjoys the back seat. The seat is flat as a plate and wide enough to give good support. I also plan to bolt-on the back-rest which you get on a RETB for added comfort. However, the engine power and the rhythmic harmonious sound of the thump from the silencer is something only an RE can give (if you like that kind of thing). Luckily my wife too loves the sound of the RE so I am happy with it.

As with all RE bikes you may have some small niggles, the gear shifts are a but harder but once you get used to it there is no going back. The only thing to be careful with an RE is the world-famous "back-kick" you get in the morning starts but once you master the process it should be easy.

My final verdict then would be an RE over a Bajaj any day, just my 2 cents on this
anand.shankar82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 17:04   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 407 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
I've thought about it, but never got down to doing it. Maybe the P220's rear shocks are a direct fit? Those are gas filled shocks.
Thanks. I might very soon take the plunge. My wife also likes the Avenger so it makes the purchase decision easier.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 18:19   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 1,498 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

The discussion of the thread and the resultant action taken by OP are independent of each other. OP wanted confirmation about the bike of his choice, but got very few to none Now budget is increased by 40% and all other suggestions are thrashed without consideration. A brand specifically kept out of discussion from the first post is now selected.

Buying a motorcycle is a very personal decision, but when one asks advice to a wide group, giving out his constraints, and then take none of the suggestions and marches his own band by changing the constraints - cruising to non-cruising, RE rejected by wife to RE liked by wife - I wonder why create the original thread itself when no input was considered?

Congrats on your current selection. Bullet is a capable machine and it will serve well to a willing owner.

Last edited by ani_meher : 20th January 2014 at 18:23.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 21:21   #36
BHPian
 
evilmessiah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 97
Thanked: 80 Times
Post Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Riding was comfortable but I was very disappointed with the overall refinement. The fit and finish was not up to what I want in my bike and the first gear [in the test ride bike] was never precise any time.
Finding the neutral while the engine is still running on the Avenger requires almost sniper-like skill. It's that vague. Easy to do so when the engine is switched off, though.

Have to disagree a bit about the fit and finish. The chrome parts do rust, but I do think that the fit and finish is actually quite okay. Not Yamaha quality, but I couldn't find anything to complain about either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Meanwhile, we thought of checking out RE Thunderbird 350. Went to the only one RE dealership, which had only a Thunderbird 350 in their showroom. Both me and wife were satisfied with the beast but put off by the long waiting period. Was there one available ready for delivery yesterday, even within a week, we would have paid him Rs.1.4 Lac and booked one immediately.

We thought of making a booking for a RE Thunderbird 350 in the future such that it gets delivered by the time we are back in India next time. Took his contact details and left the showroom. Didn’t feel the need to visit other showrooms, as it was pretty clear what our next bike is.

Sorry to disappoint you all this time around and thanks once again for your all your feedback.
I'd booked a Classic 350 at RE in Edapally, Cochin. Insane wait time back then- 9 months. No commitments on delivery date either. RE-s are on the temperamental side, but if you give it a little TLC and maintain it well, it might serve you well.

I remember feeling the same way and doing exactly as you had done after TR of the Classic series. In one way, I think that the long wait period was good as it made me think and buy a CBR instead Got it in less than a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 View Post

Recently have become a proud owner of a RE Electra 5s (used) which I got for 80k having run just 15k kms.

The seating on the 5s Electra is a single seat so my wife enjoys the back seat. The seat is flat as a plate and wide enough to give good support.... However, the engine power and the rhythmic harmonious sound of the thump from the silencer is something only an RE can give ...
That's a real good price for a used RE. I love the RE-s ride quality. Used to ride with my friend from Aluva to Angamaly on his Electra. Plushest ride ever. I didn't mind the Classic series' ride quality either. The thump is very addictive. Memories of my first ever motorcycle ride on the Classic 500 are still vivid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar82 View Post
.. the gear shifts are a but harder but once you get used to it there is no going back. The only thing to be careful with an RE is the world-famous "back-kick" you get in the morning starts but once you master the process it should be easy.
I actually didn't think that the Classic's gears were hard- but I'm willing to put that up as due to my lack of experience. However, I would say that they felt better to use than the Avenger's which is plain vague and clunky even after running near 10K kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Thanks. I might very soon take the plunge. My wife also likes the Avenger so it makes the purchase decision easier.
Those were just my thoughts. Did you ask the Bajaj mechanics whether this is possible? I'm giving them a ring tomorrow. My brother is experiencing backaches already. About time I did this rather than being the Preacher man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The discussion of the thread and the resultant action taken by OP are independent of each other. OP wanted confirmation about the bike of his choice, but got very few to none Now budget is increased by 40% and all other suggestions are thrashed without consideration. A brand specifically kept out of discussion from the first post is now selected....
It's funny how the decision process goes, right? One plans something but ends up with something entirely different. We're humans, after all- the element of unpredictability is bound to be there I had a really bad case of dilemma myself as to which bike to buy and had put up a thread here regarding it. The outcome was different from what I had been saying on that thread, but I did listen to the advice of owners like naveenroy (thank god) in the end.

You're very right in saying that motorcycles are a very personal choice. As ArizonaJim said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
...As you have learned, a motorcycle is a very personal thing, almost like a women. Each of us have our own likes and dislikes so my advice to you is to buy the motorcycle that fits your best idea of what is ideal.
evilmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 09:08   #37
GKS
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adoor
Posts: 69
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Any comments on the 2015 Avenger?. Took a test drive yesterday kind of like it. Planing to get a two wheeler soon. Not a die hard fan of Bullet. Looking for a comfortable, I repeat comfortable riding machine for rides say for 100kms at a stretch. Please advise.
GKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 10:06   #38
BHPian
 
barcalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 772
Thanked: 1,148 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKS View Post
Any comments on the 2015 Avenger?. Took a test drive yesterday kind of like it. Planing to get a two wheeler soon. Not a die hard fan of Bullet. Looking for a comfortable, I repeat comfortable riding machine for rides say for 100kms at a stretch. Please advise.
Personally, I've found the Avenger to induce a lot of lower back pain and that has been concurred with a lot of my mates. The rear seat is nowhere close to ‘comfortable’.
The engine is apt for cities, but for 100 kms a stretch rides, I'm skeptical.
I'd advise you to look at other options as well. Have you thought of the Karizma or the CBR250R?
barcalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 11:33   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 599 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Personally, I've found the Avenger to induce a lot of lower back pain and that has been concurred with a lot of my mates. The rear seat is nowhere close to ‘comfortable’.
The engine is apt for cities, but for 100 kms a stretch rides, I'm skeptical.
I'd advise you to look at other options as well. Have you thought of the Karizma or the CBR250R?
Exactly my thoughts! Sold off my Avenger in 2 years because of the pathetic ride quality. Its a lot stiffer and soon you start experiencing lower back pain. Also the vibrations on the handlebar are too much to put you off.
neoonwheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 15:51   #40
BHPian
 
deemash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Just beside you
Posts: 78
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post


Other excellent options -
GS150r (butter smooth engine, 6th cog for smooth highway cruising), Unicorn (more of butter here , butter smooth engine and butter smooth gear shifting)

-Bhargav
As per me, GS150R is not that good with pillion rider. I own one which is 2014 make and clocked 30000 kms so far.
The service intervals are horrible. You need to get it serviced every 2000 kms.
The pick up is very poor and mileage you get is 40-45 km/l.
deemash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bajaj Avenger 220 DTSi Ownership review - Finally I get to feel like God vibbs Motorbikes 101 5th July 2016 18:03
Bajaj Avenger 220 - Comfortable Cruiser para_7k Motorbikes 23 5th February 2014 00:01
Bajaj Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi: Intial owner reviews... CrAzY dRiVeR Motorbikes 31 17th June 2010 15:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:14.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks