Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: What do you think of companies launching scooters targeted specifically at women?
It is a practical approach with specific features tweaked to suit women 9 30.00%
It is a marketing gimmick just to grab women's attention 21 70.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th January 2014, 16:13   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Scooters targeted at Men / Women. Marketing Gimmicks?

Mod Note: Added poll to opening post as requested by thread starter.

I think that when any market hits critical mass, there is a real opportunity to differentiate your offer to suit different target groups. So absolutely see no problem in targeting personal-use vehicles to a particular demographic, say young women. In fact the advert with Priyanka Chopra and the tagline "Why should boys have all the fun?" is quite memorable and a good execution of the concept.

On the other hand there are adverts targeted at men in the automobile industry that come out sounding really boorish and silly. Like the Maruti SX4's "Men are Back" campaign. I know a couple of women who owned SX4s and were really teed off at that sort of fake braggadocio. Besides it's one thing if they did it with a butch vehicle like the Tata Safari for example. Surely not the SX4!

Back on-topic, when you design a vehicle with sari guards, keep it light and easy to control by smaller-built riders, offer it in shades of purple and pink etc., it makes sense to target women in your advertising because that WILL be the primary buying group. As long as it's tastefully and intelligently executed, I see no problem with such a campaign.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 16:26   #17
BHPian

I don't see this as a marketing gimmick but rather see this as a corrective action after branding their products closure to one gender or missing out the opportunity in identifying the correct marketing strategy.

For example, if you see Honda Activa, iirc Honda has never marketed this specific to one gender. As a result they have customers from both genders.

Likewise TVS was very clear on their target customers and Scooty branding is done only for women and they win their target customers. For Jupiter they are targeting family men.

But Hero did mistake with Pleasure. Though it is a competitive product due to this branding many men stayed away from it. So to capture that market they have to come up with another product Mastero.

Yamaha was also in the same confusion to where to position their product and ended up with two similar products.
rnidumolu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 10:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its a good idea since it creates a connect with women.

HH Pleasure was marketed as youth oriented scooter, but it lacked the looks.

The best success story is obviously Scooty Pep, not that it was a great looker, but it fulfilled all the basic requirements, biggest plus being light weight and low initial cost.

Personally I feel it is difficult to target men in process of selling scooters.
If they are neutral in looks, they will be bought anyways.

Its time we start seeing more power scooters in our country, the kind we see in South Asian countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand.

The only thing keeping them away is fuel efficiency and higher initial costs.
These maxi scooters can be targeted at men since they really have the required muscle and looks.

Last edited by silverado : 17th January 2014 at 10:24.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 12:27   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Lets consider the Vespa 125. Is it a man's scooter? Really? Any Indian man who is over 5.8 inches tall would look like a circus bear on this tiny scooter. So who is it targeted at really? Vespa is not going hammer and tongs on positioning it as a ladies scooter, infact they seem to be lost at its positioning. Same case with the Activa or the earlier Kinetic Honda. These scooters are tiny enough to accommodate a female or at maximum a college going teen male.
I believe nilly willy most of the gear-less scooters in India are positioned primarily for the female section, simply because their small size makes them unattractive or rather impractical for the Indian male.
Only exception to this rule was the Kinetic blaze. The larger size and more power positioned it solely as a man's scooter.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 12:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Scooters targeted at Men / Women. Marketing Gimmicks?

Scooters are no longer in the male only/female only domain. It has moved on to the family domain. Look at TVS Jupiter ad, it talks about the whole family enjoying the scooter ride and taking part in the decision making. In the coming days IMO, there will be more such launches coz manufacturers want to target the family sentiment rather than focus on the scooter features. It is highly unlikely that the majority of the male community who are into bike categories would easily move into scooter segments unless the family as a whole needs one.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 10:05   #21
BANNED

Lets face it, scooters are largely more practical for day to day city driving than the best of the bikes. Firstly they provide a modicum of weather/water splash protection on the streets. Secondly they have luggage storing space for groceries, a laptop bag etc. Third they are more commuter friendly in their riding position and make a great case for commuting with office clothes instead of riding gear.
Only reason why scooters are not succeeding in replacing bikes in a city commute, is their absolute lack of power. A good 200-250 cc scooter giving about 25-30bhp, automatic gear, combination brakes, abs and disks on both wheels, shod with tubeless tyres should be a classic runaway hit. Yes the scooter must not be heavier than 100-110kgs
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Lets face it, scooters are largely more practical for day to day city driving than the best of the bikes. A good 200-250 cc scooter giving about 25-30bhp, automatic gear, combination brakes, abs and disks on both wheels, shod with tubeless tyres should be a classic runaway hit. Yes the scooter must not be heavier than 100-110kgs
On a related note, where's the honda PCX150?
handsofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

Well articulated points all. But at the end of the day , it's a scooter with an engine and a easy-to-use transmission.
The point is, what is the size of the target segment? And does it appeal to a majority of the target?
If the answer is yes, in both cases - the product is 'successful'.
If sales went over and beyond the target segment - the product is for the 'mass market'
In so far as, the weight, sari guards, colours , HP, and other factors are concerned, the product does not choose the user.

It's the user who decides, based on his vision of perceived value.
This perceived value is a function of economic value and the innate permissiveness of the society that he holds dear.
So yes, an urban HIG guy may not choose a pink scooter as his run-about- not because it won't transport him from A to B, but because he will likely be an object of ridicule in his own social mileau. By contrast, the colour pink may not really matter to a man in the dehaat - so long as it makes economic sense, he would go for it ( the colour is not a factor any more).
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:14   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
On a related note, where's the honda PCX150?
Looks an interesting scooter for India, I believe it clicks most of the boxes I mentioned to convert a 100-150cc biker into a scooterist.
However, what is to be seen is, does Honda think, there is a market for this here? And what prices they look at if they get it here. For sure, the fuel economy looks alright when compared to an average 125-150cc motorbike.
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:07   #25
BHPian

I have a 1996 Bullet 500 cc which has served as my daily ride since 1996 when I bought the same. I would never touch my wife's KH to go anywhere within the city. Over time with the increase in traffic congestion I find it very difficult to ride the Bullet within the city. As a result I have retained my daughter's Scooty Pep to use for my daily running around as she has moved up on the ladder to a Honda Dio. The Bullet is my week end ride.
The needs of Man and a Woman differ when it comes to a two wheeler.Their mode of dressing , body build and muscle strength etc makes the gearless scooter the best suited vehicle for women. From the point of view of practicality, today's chaotic traffic conditions have made the gearless scooter the ideal unisex vehicle .Marketing serves to sharpen the focus on the manufacturer's targeted segment so that they can maximise their sales.The women segment and the man segment seem to have merged to a large extent in today's market scene.
That being said, I would hate to be seen riding around on a pink Scooty! Some things are best left for the Women alone!
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 12:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Back on-topic, when you design a vehicle with sari guards, keep it light and easy to control by smaller-built riders, offer it in shades of purple and pink etc., it makes sense to target women in your advertising because that WILL be the primary buying group. As long as it's tastefully and intelligently executed, I see no problem with such a campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Only exception to this rule was the Kinetic blaze. The larger size and more power positioned it solely as a man's scooter.

Agreed by customizing the product and then targetting it to the particular customer segment will only bring out real differentiation.

If we look at our market it looks like the Scooty has been clearly targetted towards the women folk with girly colors and smaller build of the bike and only Blaze was the big powerful scooter for the guy which unfortunately bombed due to low mileage and bad quality.

All other scooters including Pleasure can be termed unisex without any differentiating feature be it the Activa, Access, Swish, Dio, Ray & Z, Duro, Flyte, Wego, Jupiter, Vespa et all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
In the coming days IMO, there will be more such launches coz manufacturers want to target the family sentiment rather than focus on the scooter features.
This makes sense as the utility value of the gearless scooter is high for either sexes hence can be used one and all adults of the family. It would be safer bet to target all rather than just half the populace.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote