Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd January 2014, 15:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Yamaha R15 - Engine feeling sluggish

Hi All,

I own a R15-V1.0 which is almost 2.5yrs old and from past one year I feel it is lacking initial pickup and not able to attain speeds. I would be grateful to folks here who has faced similar problems to help me overcome this issue and enjoy the ride moving forward.

Also I feel there is not enough growl from the engine which I used to have during the initial days, after couple of services the performance came down drastically and I am not able to overcome it even after multiple notifications to the service engineer on this. Probably I am not able to find a right service center who knows In and out of this bike here in Bangalore.

Thanks in Advance!!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2014 at 16:13. Reason: Better to have a new thread for each significant problem (instead of one general discussion)
fusionbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Yamaha R15 - Engine feeling sluggish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
I own a R15-V1.0 which is almost 2.5yrs old and from past one year I feel it is lacking initial pickup and not able to attain speeds. I would be grateful to folks here who has faced similar problems to help me overcome this issue and enjoy the ride moving forward.
First, I assume that the engine block is still untouched.

Have you ever replaced the chain sprockets?
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
First, I assume that the engine block is still untouched.

Have you ever replaced the chain sprockets?
Yes recently couple of months back during my last service had to replace both the chain sprockets, and after that I feel weird in the performance of my bike.

Also I feel the engine is being pushed hard above 4K RPM.

And what exactly do you mean by Engine block is untouched??
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes recently couple of months back during my last service had to replace both the chain sprockets, and after that I feel weird in the performance of my bike.

Also I feel the engine is being pushed hard above 4K RPM.
Can you elaborate on that weirdness?

My bike is 37k kms old now, with the sprockets changed around 9k kms back. Everything is running just fine.

Quote:
And what exactly do you mean by Engine block is untouched??
I mean no modifications or any thing wrong inside right?

On a lighter note: Have you been riding a lot with the KTMs?
They will surely make you feel that the YZF lacks punch.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you elaborate on that weirdness?

My bike is 37k kms old now, with the sprockets changed around 9k kms back. Everything is running just fine.
Ok, let's assume I am riding at 40 Km/h(2.5K RPM), when I want to overtake a vehicle I shift my gear down and take it to 4-5K RPM, in that scenario I feel that the bike is attaining the speed which I expect it to be at and also there is a feeling that I am at full throttle and something is stopping the bike to move further.

Quote:
I mean no modifications or any thing wrong inside right?

On a lighter note: Have you been riding a lot with the KTMs?
They will surely make you feel that the YZF lacks punch.
Nope no modifications done on the engine, as you rightly mentioned it is untouched.

And no I am not riding any KTMs, this is my only love
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, let's assume I am riding at 40 Km/h(2.5K RPM), when I want to overtake a vehicle I shift my gear down and take it to 4-5K RPM, in that scenario I feel that the bike is attaining the speed which I expect it to be at and also there is a feeling that I am at full throttle and something is stopping the bike to move further.
Have you placed a cloth under your seat? Which might be getting stuck to the snorkel box every time you throttle hard? Check if there is anything under the seat which might be blocking the airflow.

Do you use your bike daily? Does it ever stay untouched for more than a month or anything of that sort? If yes, its a good idea to even get your fuel injectors cleaned once.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Err, R15 lights up after 7,000 & beyond.

But seems, fusionbang has a problem with this motorcycle, else for someone who is new to a R15 may complain of torque low down the rev range, but for someone who has done some kilometers...

What do you think is the issue? What does your mechanic say about it? Has your fuel economy suffered as well? In first, without clutch & accelerator input, does the bike move smoothly?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you placed a cloth under your seat? Which might be getting stuck to the snorkel box every time you throttle hard? Check if there is anything under the seat which might be blocking the airflow.

Do you use your bike daily? Does it ever stay untouched for more than a month or anything of that sort? If yes, its a good idea to even get your fuel injectors cleaned once.
Nope no cloth is under the seat, except for the first aid kit and tool kit. Anyways will check once and see if there is something blocking the air flow.

And on the usage, I ride it for only 3 Kms daily as I travel to office by Cab and I park it at my friends place. During weekends I ride a few kms, but yes I should get the fuel injectors cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What does your mechanic say about it? Has your fuel economy suffered as well? In first, without clutch & accelerator input, does the bike move smoothly?
Every time I tell the mechanic, I get a reply from him that he will check on that, but unfortunately he is unable to resolve it. I think he is also not able to identify the problem at first place.

On the fuel economy, I have been getting a mileage of 33-35 Kmpl from day one. But I have heard people who has reached upto 42 Kmpl and I haven't crossed 35 Kmpl till now.

And without clutch and accelerator input, the bike is not smooth and also the engine noise is more compared to when I press the clutch which I guess is common in bikes.
Old 23rd January 2014, 15:52   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And on the usage, I ride it for only 3 Kms daily as I travel to office by Cab and I park it at my friends place. During weekends I ride a few kms,
I think it is carbon deposit. Would suggest taking it for a good ride & play with the throttle & rev counter
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha R15 - Engine feeling sluggish

Quote:
Every time I tell the mechanic, I get a reply from him that he will check on that, but unfortunately he is unable to resolve it. I think he is also not able to identify the problem at first place.
Is this an authorized Yamaha dealership?

Quote:
On the fuel economy, I have been getting a mileage of 33-35 Kmpl from day one. But I have heard people who has reached upto 42 Kmpl and I haven't crossed 35 Kmpl till now.
That's low, if you ask me.
From day one I have been getting figures about 40 kmpl. Touching around 46 on the highway and around 40/42 in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Would suggest taking it for a good ride & play with the throttle & rev counter
The most fun solution isn't it? Who would deny doing this
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:46   #11
BHPian

If the usual supsects (air filter, tyre pressure, oil, oil filter, brakes, spark plug, ignition coil) are alright, then you should start checking the fuel injection system.

The first thing to check is the fuel filter and then the injector. Replace the filter and use a good quality petrol fuel injector cleaner fuel additive (3m, Iftex, etc.).

If that doesn't solve the problem, get the sensors tested. The service manual mentions how to test the sensors. After all these tests, the only one remaining is a compression test on the engine.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 23rd January 2014 at 16:47. Reason: Formatting
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this an authorized Yamaha dealership?
Yup have tried with almost all service centers here at Bangalore - Bangalore Wheels, Pacer Motors and Perfect Riders, but no luck

Quote:
That's low, if you ask me.
From day one I have been getting figures about 40 kmpl. Touching around 46 on the highway and around 40/42 in the city.
How do you manage to attain these figures? Any tips which might help me increase my mileage?

Quote:
The most fun solution isn't it? Who would deny doing this
Anytime waiting to rev this beast And nobody would deny doing this until and unless he wants a change in the number of wheels to ride.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
If the usual supsects (air filter, tyre pressure, oil, oil filter, brakes, spark plug, ignition coil) are alright, then you should start checking the fuel injection system.

The first thing to check is the fuel filter and then the injector. Replace the filter and use a good quality petrol fuel injector cleaner fuel additive (3m, Iftex, etc.).

If that doesn't solve the problem, get the sensors tested. The service manual mentions how to test the sensors. After all these tests, the only one remaining is a compression test on the engine.
Does the performance get affected due to electrical's? As you mentioned about sensors I wanted to understand is there any link between electrical's and performance!!
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you manage to attain these figures? Any tips which might help me increase my mileage?
My daily commute is a good 80 kms out of which around 60-64 is on the highway. I start off revving high, but then as I up-shift, I let the revv counter to mellow down.

Cruising speed - 6,000 RPM at ~ 90 kph.

Last edited by parrys : 23rd January 2014 at 16:58.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Does the performance get affected due to electrical's? As you mentioned about sensors I wanted to understand is there any link between electrical's and performance!!
A faulty electrical system can have a big effect on performance since the fuel is ignited by an electric spark. Poor ignition leads to poor combustion which leads to poor performance. The most common performance affecting fault for any petrol engine is a weak spark plug. Here's what I suggest:

ELECTRICAL
1. Replace the spark plug
2. Check for a leaking spark plug cable
3. Check for a weak ignition coil
4. Check ignition timing with a strobe gun

FUELLING
1. Use a fuel injector cleaner
2. Check the fuel filter
3. Check the fuel pump

MORE ELECTRICAL
1. Check all the sensors

All these tests assume that the battery is in good condition and that it is charged correctly.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote