Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th February 2014, 14:48   #1
BHPian

Default Royal Enfield developing single-cylinder, 400cc engine

Quote:
While the 346cc engine delivers a peak power output of nearly 20bhp, the 499cc generates peak power of around 27-28bhp. The single-cylinder, 535cc engine, which powers the popular Continental GT café racer, develops 29bhp. It is clear that the company is looking at a new engine option which can promise slightly higher power delivery over its basic variant, in the range of 22bhp to 24bhp.

On the pricing front, it is to be noted that while a basic 350cc model costs a little over Rs 100,000 (on-road), the most affordable 499cc model (Bullet 500) comes for more than Rs 150,000 (on-road). “With the new upcoming engine option, the Chennai-based motorcycle maker is looking at positioning its new models in the price bracket of Rs 110,000-Rs 150,000 (on-road) and will eventually be able to conveniently populate the segment with four commercially usable engine options – 346cc, near-400cc, 499cc and 535cc (all air-cooled, single-cylinder) in the near future,” added another source, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
Source & Full Article : http://www.autocarpro.in/ap/news-nat...r-400cc-engine

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2014 at 16:18. Reason: Keeping the fair usage policy in mind, it's best to share an excerpt + link to full article. Thanks
justin.das is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 15:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Royal Enfield developing single-cylinder, 400cc engine

After 60+ years and 3 different engine platforms and crores spent on consultants and foreign R&D companies, RE eventually comes back to increasing the swept volume to increase power. I canot help but wonder why and how all of the above was insufficient to coax more power out of the same engine capacity. After all, even a road side mechanic and block reboring guy from a galli in Nana Peth working in tandem can put a bigger piston into your bike and get a few extra bhp. Just to put things into perspective vis a vis RE's latest "R&D" effort - termed as "the many different paths to the same destination." The destination in question being 120-130-140 kmph. Of course what goes without saying is that this would give RE the perfect platform to increase the price of the 350 cc currently pegged in the 1.1-1.2 lac bracket to the 1.5 lac bracket for the near-400 cc.

Last edited by ebonho : 28th February 2014 at 15:01.
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 15:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont see the use of a 400cc engine with a 2hp increase apart from more models to choose from. I dont see any benifits over a 350cc happening on the 400cc either since it is just going to be a bored out version of the 350.

535 TB with 6sp , REM?
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 15:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how much of the 50cc increment would add to the power figures? Will be interested if they had worked on the twin cylinder setup instead of single cylinder :(

High time they started to work/get on par with Triumph
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 16:33   #5
BHPian

Now what is that RE is trying to gain by developing a new 400cc block. Atleast from my side I wasn`t expecting this, it would have been made more sense if they pumped some money to develop whole new blocks in 350 and 500 category which pumps out more power.
Moreover I feel it makes no sense to develop new engine alone, they may need to build a new chassis as well which can house this block, afterall the chassis whatever we are upto is a decade old and definitely a better chassis for the new breed of engines is the need of the hour.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 17:58   #6
BHPian

The only thing that makes sense with the bigger cc bike with very low harnessed bhp that it gives the ability to the engine to run for longer period of time with much less stress. But since they already have developed a 350 and a 500cc bike though with the above credentials ....

Nevertheless their luck seems to be on the top as whatever they produce sells here definitely.
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 19:36   #7
BHPian

Ha! cheers to RE for the weekend 400 cc for.. what was that?
If any, a 350 with a not-so-long stroke ie., a de-stroked & bored-out form wrf current one would make better sense.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 19:39   #8
BHPian

The people sitting up there in the Ivory towers cannot see what is the reality on the ground. They continue to take decisions to make short term stop gap/arrangement rather than looking at longer term products which might capture the market attention.

In this case there is a segment of Riders who go in for the 500CC and vice versa for the 350CC. By adding two more units to the power train god only knows what the RE folks want to achieve, other than a bonus (From S Lal) for launching a new product at dirt cheap R&D costs.

Since now we have the Twins from the HD and the Triumph stables, What might really be of interest to the RE guys is the Twin Cylinder prototype being developed under the name Musket V Twin. Atleast not they know that they have a market segment and they need to get after it .. rather than a cheapskate 400cc model

Last edited by shivshanker : 28th February 2014 at 19:41.
shivshanker is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 19:53   #9
BHPian

I fail to see the point behind rolling out a 400cc motor with negligible performance benefits . If it is encased in a new chassis then it is a model worth considering . In any case , RE should roll out models with different chassis now with different fuel tanks and fenders for some variety.

Shivshanker , the twin cylinder prototype was built by an individual and not the royal enfield so it isn't really a prototype(a few other such examples exist home and abroad all done by individuals ). It is also based on the old cast iron engine , I have no idea how reliable it is . I do agree though it should be the next step for enfield - a parallel twin . But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Last edited by basuroy : 28th February 2014 at 19:56.
basuroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 20:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Shivshanker , the twin cylinder prototype was built by an individual and not the royal enfield so it isn't really a prototype(a few other such examples exist home and abroad all done by individuals ). It is also based on the old cast iron engine , I have no idea how reliable it is . I do agree though it should be the next step for enfield - a parallel twin . But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Apologies did not mean that the parallels were being built by RE.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-M...76515752448366
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 13:02   #11

It's disappointing how RE hasn't stepped up its game. The Cafe Racer was well positioned and priced decently, but with Bajaj working on a cruiser

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...in-2015/17701/

And HD, Triumph entering the scene, RE should have been working overtime to improve the A.S.S and get the reliability right, at the least. This isn't innovation either, it's tinkering with an existing set up.
pratyush. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:09   #12
BHPian

@Pratyush,

I thought the Bajaj guys already had a cruiser the Avenger!, so was curious to explore your link.

I guess it is not only the RE boys who lack the innovation, what does the new avenger have to offer,

1. A bigger tank
2. redesigned foot pegs
3. a new handle bar.?

I really do not see much improvements in the overall look of the bike. Other than lot more iron. The Power to weight ratio of the bike would definitely need to be looked at in this case as with bigger tank, more fuel more weight.

At first, I saw the black monster in the link provided and almost fell out of my chair, a damn good one that is, but it sports the Ducati label, wonder why it is featuring in the same article, please tell me that that is the new design for the new Bajaj.
shivshanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

Consolidation. Royal Enfield clearly intend to (try and) lockup the entry-level big bikes segment, in light of never-before competition from the international big boys offering their V-twins at dangerously close (for Royal Enfield) pricing levels.

I have been quite vociferous about this earlier as well: RE, faced with true competition for probably the first time in their history, is responding. And that by itself, is a necessary requirement for them to survive into the next century- which they ideally deserve.

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd March 2014 at 22:58.
theMAG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 02:35   #14
BHPian

The RE guys just keep on tinkering with the old cast iron engines. If they continue on the same path they will go the same way as the dinosaurs did.
HD, Triumph and all the big boys are coming into the market with their awesome offerings and all our friends at RE can think of is a 400 cc engine. Wake up RE!
Regards,
Ashok
ashphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 03:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

I don't disagree that a 400cc engine seems to be an answer to a question that has not been asked but may I point out that Royal Enfield has not made a cast iron engine for years now?

Both the Lean Burn AVL which hasn't been made for several years and the UCE utilize the modern sleeved aluminum cylinder and aluminum piston design.

Getting back to the subject of a new 400cc engine, the only justification I can think of for such a thing would be if there is some sort of tax break for motorcycles with that capacity.

I would rather see Royal Enfield produce a vertical 650cc or 750cc air cooled twin, reminiscent of the old Meteor, Constellation or small Interceptor II.
The new twin engine should also have a rotating counterbalancer shaft in the design to reduce the engine vibration inherent in vertical twins.

While they are at it, they should mount the new twin in the new double downtube GT Continental frame. This would result in a machine very similar to a improved Norton with its Featherbed frame. One of the most famous and classic motorcycles ever made.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote