Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th March 2014, 11:19   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Knight in Black - The Honda CB Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
For the first 100KM or so, I had to use choke to get it started. However, for the last 700+km the bike just starts on first crank (of the starter). Not sure if it's the heat of the summer or if Honda's fixed the cold-start issue.

Thanks Anurag. I've not yet measured FE but it feels like the fuel just lasts forever and ever. I'm sure I'm getting atleast 50+kmpl on this machine.

The showroom experience was pathetic and I wasn't hesitant to pass that on to Honda through their website contact form. Someone called me and I detailed him on the experience - arrogance, and lack of regard for customer or his money.

--------------------------
Btw, my bike just returned from it's first service and boy is the engine smooth or what!! I always knew the importance of the first service but you have to see it to believe what difference it did to my machine. The gear shifts have become very smooth and the engine just wants to be revved to higher RPMs and I don't feel any vibes at all. Until the service, I was starting to feel disappointed with Honda for making a machine with higher NVH levels than the Unicorn. I had come to expect a lot from Honda. Now, I'm a happy man.

Honda service set the suspension to a lower (softer) setting on my request and tightened the chain (which had become just too loose and was making kat-kat noises last few days). The rear brake rod was rubbing against the silencer and was also fixed (not sure how or what they did).

Overall, the bike's completed 850+km, all in the city and is raring to go on the highway. I've a short 300KM trip planned for it next month this time so let's see how it fares on the highway.
Hellmet
What speeds do you do now after the service.
The service guy was telling me that it can be free revved.

Thanks !
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 14:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Hellmet
What speeds do you do now after the service.
The service guy was telling me that it can be free revved.

Thanks !
I never really did a "run-in" of the machine at all. Starting from the first day I've been riding it normally. I'm never an aggressive rider. My top speed in city is less than 60kmph and I change gears at 3.5-4.5K RPM depending on circumstances.

I'm looking forward to do a highway ride sometime soon so I can open the throttle up beyond 60kmph. But the sun, urgghh.

How's your Trigger doing buddy? I find that the tires aren't all that grippy. On rough tarmacs and on smooth tiles (office parking) I find it wobbly and easy to skid respectively. The mono-suspension is hard even after putting it in "soft" but I kinda got used to it.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 23:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I never really did a "run-in" of the machine at all. Starting from the first day I've been riding it normally. I'm never an aggressive rider. My top speed in city is less than 60kmph and I change gears at 3.5-4.5K RPM depending on circumstances.
Is the first service at 750/1000 kms or 5000 kms?

What all is done during the first service?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 21:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:

I'm looking forward to do a highway ride sometime soon so I can open the throttle up beyond 60kmph. But the sun, urgghh.

How's your Trigger doing buddy? I find that the tires aren't all that grippy. On rough tarmacs and on smooth tiles (office parking) I find it wobbly and easy to skid respectively. The mono-suspension is hard even after putting it in "soft" but I kinda got used to it.
I kept it below 60 almost always. I did a highway drive to Mahabalipuram with pillion and kept it at 65 kmph and it was going OK after the first service. After 65 it was slightly rough. Something which will settle in I guess after some days/kms/service.
The suspension was hard and I told the dealer, he said he fixed it and found it to be slightly better. But after a few days, a squeak started coming and it was awful. Took it today evening to the dealer who said it was an adjustment issue and fixed it in 15 mins or so and now its good.
The tyres are OK not exactly the confidence oozing types. But I think we have done ourselves grave injustice by driving the Victor a big fraction of our life Need to grow up !

Last edited by polopm : 29th March 2014 at 21:29. Reason: typo fix
Old 24th April 2014, 20:00   #20
BHPian

I can't believe how hard the suspension on this thing is. Today I rode our TVS Scooty and it was such a blessing to have soft suspension dampening undulations on the road. On the Trigger, my back is the suspension. Also, I'm not really happy with the ride quality of the tires that wobble (unstable ride) on the slightest sight of rough roads. I know I sound repetitive but the tires are truly awful and the suspension offers no help either.

I'll see if a second service will fix any suspension issues, else I might have to do something radical.
Old 5th May 2014, 17:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I can't believe how hard the suspension on this thing is. Today I rode our TVS Scooty and it was such a blessing to have soft suspension dampening undulations on the road. On the Trigger, my back is the suspension. Also, I'm not really happy with the ride quality of the tires that wobble (unstable ride) on the slightest sight of rough roads. I know I sound repetitive but the tires are truly awful and the suspension offers no help either.

I'll see if a second service will fix any suspension issues, else I might have to do something radical.
Try altering the pressures a bit, at 35psi it does become hard. At lower values it's OK but you will have to make sure you dont have pillion riders.

I did mention it as part of my first service and its now slightly better. The service guy said he has "set" it for slightly plush ride. Not sure what he did
Old 13th May 2014, 14:39   #22
BHPian

My trigger seems to be having an idling issue. The engine just stops off forcing me to use the self starter. I guess the idling screw is getting unsettled by vibration...not very happy with this...how is your trigger doing ?

Note from Mod : Please type with proper punctuation and full stops and not type....like....this..Appreciate your cooperation. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th May 2014 at 15:21.
Old 13th May 2014, 14:49   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My trigger seems to be having an idling issue. The engine just stops off forcing me to use the self starter. I guess the idling screw is getting unsettled by vibration...not very happy with this...how is your trigger doing ?
Could be the reason but I guess this would happen in a rare case. I'd suspect the setting of the idle screw to be in the wrong position. Try adjusting it BUT do any adjustments after the engine has reached its operating temperature else the RPM will fluctuate a lot.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 15:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
On the Trigger, my back is the suspension.
Any update on the suspension part? Is it still hard? In what setting is the rear suspension now? softest or medium?
samcan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 16:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Try altering the pressures a bit, at 35psi it does become hard. At lower values it's OK but you will have to make sure you dont have pillion riders.
I'm following the manual. 25PSI front, 30PSI rear.

Quote:
Hmm, I don't have any such issues with my Trigger. Agreed it takes a bit of warming up in the morning but no issues once I begin my ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Any update on the suspension part? Is it still hard? In what setting is the rear suspension now? softest or medium?
I plan to wait until the next service (1500km more). Being my only vehicle, I depend far too much on my ride so I don't like to leave it at the service station too often. I'll update you after the second service.
Old 28th May 2014, 11:22   #26
BHPian

After riding the bike for nearly 3K km, these are my observations:

1. The MRF tires on the Trigger are the worst I've seen on any bike. The smallest of road undulation, and the tires start to squeam and change direction, making the ride unstable and unpredictable. They behave OK on smooth roads, but such roads are where? My last bike had TVS tires and so much thinner than Trigger's shoes, and still were much better in handling.

2. The mono-suspension is totally junk. I'm not sure why thousands of users of Unicorn swear by its suspension, but the Trigger's feels like nearly absent. The Unicorn is a full 15KG heavier than the Trigger. Did Honda fail to tune the mono suspension for the lighter Trigger? To be completely honest, riding the Trigger feels like riding a bicycle. Every minute bump on the road is sent right across the rider's spine. On horrible roads, it is better to keep your jaws together or the vibrations will break your teeth or you might end up biting your tongue. I'm being very serious here.

The service guy at Honda says the bike is meant for heavier people. That's crazy

Setting it to the softest setting makes matters worse as it doesn't make it any softer. Instead, the bike will now fishtail at every bump and rough road stretch. Sometimes, it feels like I'm riding a bike with the rear tire punctured.

On my complaint, Honda Service looked and said fishtailing is because of a tight handle, greased the ball bearings and gave it back to me. Nope, no change.

3. The torque curve (pickup) is very non-linear. The bike barely responds until 4K rpm and it almost feels like you're riding a pillion and then zoom! Beyond 4K rpm, this thing is a rocket. To add to things, the clutch is very hard. In other words, city riding is a nightmare. The presence of a toe-heel shifter doesn't bring much respite as you have to change gears often.

It looks like the Trigger was meant for countries with nearly flawless roads and light traffic. This bike is a total fail for India.

If nothing changes after the second service, this bike will be on Classifieds, and I'll go back to trusted TVS. Maybe a heavier person can do justice to the mono suspension.
Old 28th May 2014, 11:53   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. The MRF tires on the Trigger are the worst I've seen on any bike.
Change the rear tyre ASAP and IIRC, your bike comes with MRF Zapper Y?

Quote:
2. The mono-suspension is totally junk. I'm not sure why thousands of users of Unicorn swear by its suspension, but the Trigger's feels like nearly absent.
I do swear still. Keeping it at the softest setting will make it drive like a Hyundai car (bouncy ride like boat). Keep it at medium which is the best.

Quote:
Setting it to the softest setting makes matters worse as it doesn't make it any softer. Instead, the bike will now fishtail at every bump and rough road stretch. Sometimes, it feels like I'm riding a bike with the rear tire punctured.
When I bought my Karizma this fishtailing issue was troubling me from day 1 but never faced in my Unicorn so thought hard for a few days and changed both the tyres to Michelin Sirac Street (100/90x18) and to my surprise the fishtailing was gone for good. The MRF tyre is the worst of the lot and slips/skids under hard braking, fails to hold onto tarmac under emergency acceleration.

Quote:
3. To add to things, the clutch is very hard. In other words, city riding is a nightmare. The presence of a toe-heel shifter doesn't bring much respite as you have to change gears often.
Check the setting once and lubricate the cable if necessary.

Don't loose hope so soon sir, I know it is difficult but give that bike another chance.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 12:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3k kms is a decent distance to put in the observations. Should have freed up the engine a bit and all components would have bedded in to an extent.

Quote:
1. The MRF tires on the Trigger are the worst I've seen on any bike. The smallest of road undulation, and the tires start to squeam and change direction, making the ride unstable and unpredictable. They behave OK on smooth roads, but such roads are where? My last bike had TVS tires and so much thinner than Trigger's shoes, and still were much better in handling.
This is easily fixable with a tyre change. Most stock tyres are very hard compound tyres meant to last 50,000 kms or more and hence they tend to be inferior in grip levels. But would you really want to invest on tyres depends on the issue in point 2 as that is more serious.

Quote:
2. The mono-suspension is totally junk. I'm not sure why thousands of users of Unicorn swear by its suspension, but the Trigger's feels like nearly absent. To be completely honest, riding the Trigger feels like riding a bicycle. Every minute bump on the road is sent right across the rider's spine. ..... I'm being very serious here.
This is a more serious issue and more like a design flaw for not tuning the suspension properly. I used the FZ16 for a short duration and it had the exact same issue if not on all bikes at least on mine. Every minor bump was sent to my lower back. Got fed up of it and sold it in 3 months/4k kms on the odo. Again there were other very many niggles which made me doubt if i had been sold a lemon by Yamaha.

Quote:
3. The torque curve (pickup) is very non-linear. The bike barely responds until 4K rpm and it almost feels like you're riding a pillion and then zoom! Beyond 4K rpm, this thing is a rocket. To add to things, the clutch is very hard. In other words, city riding is a nightmare. The presence of a toe-heel shifter doesn't bring much respite as you have to change gears often.
Maybe set up for a good mid range and top end speeds (in the category) with a poor low end grunt. So you might want to shift late and rev the engine more. This would fix the issue with the low end power.

After my experience with the FZ, I started hating mono suspensions and switched to an RTR180. Even when buying the Duke i was wary that i might face a similar issue of bumps being transferred to the rider but thank God that is not the case and the ride is very good with a very well tuned suspension!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 16:07   #29
BHPian

@hellmet:
I was following your previous thread closely since I had similar requirements: good suspension, flat torque curve, good LET, heel shifter, non flashy looks, upright seating position..

I am sorry to hear that after all the research you ended up with a bike that does not meet your needs. I saw a few similar complaints even about the unicorn's mono suspension. Can one say that that the mono suspension budget bikes (<1 lac) have all failed in the comfort factor? Does it then make more sense to get a bike with a traditional dual suspension set up in this budget range?

(I am not commenting about higher end bikes, I am sure they have mono-sus for a good reason, though even there it is possible that they give priority to handling/performance rather than rider comfort).

Maybe passion/shine is better in this regard. Have you considered those? Or if you need 150cc then maybe the Xtreme or GS150? How do you feel about these bikes?

Quote:

2. The mono-suspension is totally junk. I'm not sure why thousands of users of Unicorn swear by its suspension, but the Trigger's feels like nearly absent. The Unicorn is a full 15KG heavier than the Trigger. Did Honda fail to tune the mono suspension for the lighter Trigger? To be completely honest, riding the Trigger feels like riding a bicycle. Every minute bump on the road is sent right across the rider's spine. On horrible roads, it is better to keep your jaws together or the vibrations will break your teeth or you might end up biting your tongue. I'm being very serious here.

It looks like the Trigger was meant for countries with nearly flawless roads and light traffic. This bike is a total fail for India.

If nothing changes after the second service, this bike will be on Classifieds, and I'll go back to trusted TVS. Maybe a heavier person can do justice to the mono suspension.
grazd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 23:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
@hellmet:
I was following your previous thread closely since I had similar requirements

Maybe passion/shine is better in this regard. Have you considered those? Or if you need 150cc then maybe the Xtreme or GS150? How do you feel about these bikes?
Hmm, I wanted to upgrade to a bike with better tires and brakes so I had to settle for nothing less than a 150CC. I didn't like the looks of Xtreme, and the GS150 is too big and heavy for someone my size. The unicorn was ruled out due to its weight and it looking too dated.

The bike's had it's second free service today. The service center at SP Road - Fortune Motors - is not good. I gave the bike for service placing a high priority on the wobbling issue in the front tire/handle. Those guys finish the regular "service" and call me at 1.30. Long story short, they barely did anything despite my repeated requests to fix the issue.

Today, the mechanic and his supervisor, both separately told me that the Unicorn's suspension, though the same unit, is tuned to be far better than one on the Trigger. They say that the Trigger's is harder while the Unicorn has more play and much more plush. They also finally told me that they CANNOT adjust the suspension softer than "SOFT" setting and that I'd have to live with it. So that's it!

I don't know what to do. I might sell this thing off and settle for a CVT disc brake scooter. Also, no more Honda for me. I'm also planning to move close to work so I don't think I'd care for what I ride if it's just 5-6km (one way).