Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 12:27   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
suresh_gs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: KA-01 / TN-22
Posts: 1,935
Thanked: 1,159 Times
Default Helmets & Hair Loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Another stupid trend is girls don't prefer wearing helmet since it spoils their hair. God bless them all.
The same logic applies to menfolk too. If they were helmets , they will lose hair. Whom are they going to impress now? The one whom they have impressed has become his life partner.

After this whether the guy loses or has hair on his scalp, what difference does it make.

I have seen guys cover their rear view mirror of the bike with helmet. The moment they spot a cop, they are quick to wear the helmet. God save these guys!!!
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 12:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,256
Thanked: 4,986 Times
Default Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The same logic applies to menfolk too. If they were helmets , they will lose hair. Whom are they going to impress now? The one whom they have impressed has become his life partner.

After this whether the guy loses or has hair on his scalp, what difference does it make.!!!
I am 22, and I have already lost quite a bit of hair after I started using the helmet. Cant help. I can lose hair and flaunt my bald scalp but am not interested in losing my head
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 15:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,208
Thanked: 4,837 Times
Default Re: Accidents in India - PICS

I have used helmets for the past 12+ years and still using without losing any hair.

Stats generally don't point out to helmets for losing hair. Maintain hygiene and a small read, though I always practiced as my helmets are always snug fit (right fit).

Not wearing a helmet results in heat, dust & pollution affecting your scalp, thus maybe affecting hair loss.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 15:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic
I have already lost quite a bit of hair after I started using the helmet.
How do you say that ? Is there some study/stats pointing to this ? Asking because I have always been wearing a helmet while biking and no issues with hair-loss.

I have had some TN colleagues (male at that) tell me that they don't wash their hair daily because it will lead to hair-loss. Apart from wondering what point there was in taking a daily shower if you are not wetting your head, it made me go because if that were the case, Kerala should be a bald state - most folks shower twice daily. BTW, one of the colleagues sports a receding hairline now. So much for his theory.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 16:11   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,966
Thanked: 1,425 Times
Default Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
How do you say that ? Is there some study/stats pointing to this ? Asking because I have always been wearing a helmet while biking and no issues with hair-loss.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_alopecia
binand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 16:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,256
Thanked: 4,986 Times
Default Re: Accidents in India - PICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
How do you say that ? Is there some study/stats pointing to this ? Asking because I have always been wearing a helmet while biking and no issues with hair-loss.

I have had some TN colleagues (male at that) tell me that they don't wash their hair daily because it will lead to hair-loss. Apart from wondering what point there was in taking a daily shower if you are not wetting your head, it made me go because if that were the case, Kerala should be a bald state - most folks shower twice daily. BTW, one of the colleagues sports a receding hairline now. So much for his theory.
Yes I do wash my hair everyday since I believe wetting the head wont do harm. But from 18-22, the amount of hair I had has thinned out, and its prominent in the places where the helmet fits snugly. Though I dont entirely attribute hair fall to helmet, there are many more persons who have experienced the same.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 22:58   #7
BHPian
 
mints21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: India
Posts: 735
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Default Use of Helmets lead to hair loss: Agree or Disagree

Hi,

Helmet is one of the most essential item, that is used by almost all two wheeler riders across the country. The safety features and types have been discussed on this forum extensively.

However, a certain section of the two wheeler users feel that regular and extensive use of the helmets result in hair loss or hairs getting rough. They have no choice but to bear this brunt silently.

The idea of this thread is to seek the opinion of fellow BHPians on this.

If some of you do agree that the use of helmets over a long time causes hair loss, then what are the possible remedies and solutions to overcome this problem.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 23:18   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default Re: Use of Helmets lead to hair loss: Agree or Disagree

I feel the following thread should address this problem.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...lp-thread.html
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helmets: Testing Procedures & Standards a4anurag Motorbikes 25 13th June 2016 14:24
The Trichologist, Hair & Scalp Thread NK@Hyd Shifting gears 97 28th April 2015 14:50
Hair Loss Story - Solutions. idea1979 Gadgets, Computers & Software 1 12th November 2009 14:24
Why it's advisable to have coloured helmets or stickers on helmets ? mithun Motorbikes 12 9th January 2007 16:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks