Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 23:39   #1
BHPian

Myth: Parking next to an electric pole causes blown fuses?

A mechanic advised me not to park motorcycle near an electric pole as it may blow a fuse.

I have heard of transformers emitting electromagnetic waves, but how serious is the threat posed by an electric pole?
I park my bike near an electric pole.
Old 24th March 2014, 23:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Myth: Parking next to an electric pole causes blown fuses?

I have never heard of this. Have parked my bike everywhere and never has it blown a fuse.
But I ride a relative simple old bike.
Old 24th March 2014, 23:53   #3
BHPian

He probably suffered such a coincidence.

The electric field of an electric pole if not strong enough to blow fuses.
Plus have seen bikes parked under street lights & near poles all the time. Come to think of it, 4 hero hondas are parked in the factory next to the transformer. Nothing I ever heard of.
P.S. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 00:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Practically there is no relation. Trying to explain in simple terms, a fuse is a kind of a connection. Current passes through it. Once the amount of current exceeds a certain limit, the fuse blows. So in your bike there will be a fuse for the headlights. If the headlights tries to draw more current due to some reason unknown, the fuse blows.

There can be numerous fuses for various devices in car or bike. Hence in case a circuit malfunctions, the respective fuse will blow as soon as the circuit tries to draw excess current.

Suppose you park the vehicle near a current pole, that has no direct relation to blowing a fuse in the vehicle since the vehicle electricals and pole electricals are not connected in any way. Hence, your bike fuse is impossible to be burnt due to a closely located electric pole. Guess the mechanic tried to earn a smartness badge for himself

If you park near an electric pole, it is impossible for a fuse to blow as they are nowhere related to each other.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 00:28   #5
BHPian

Never heard nor do I believe this.

As Audioholic says, you need current to pass through the fuse to kill it. Now, there are situations like lightning that can cause current to pass through the air and then through some other object, but we are talking of simple 220 volts, or even if high voltage, we are talking about 11000 v. Nothing at all compared to what's need for "current through air" phenomenon.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 01:48   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape velocity View Post
A mechanic advised me not to park motorcycle near an electric pole as it may blow a fuse.

I have heard of transformers emitting electromagnetic waves, but how serious is the threat posed by an electric pole?
I guess the mechanic was standing near an electric pole when he told this theory to you. His fuse blew?

There is no connection between the bike and the pole so how can something happen!

Wires carrying current do possess electromagnetic fields phenomena but it is negligible else all cars and bikes should gave been attracted and stuck to pole. Higher the caring voltage more is the electromagnetic field hence the HT cables are high up the ground.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 07:11   #7
BHPian

Next, don't park near a transformer- bike will start by itself you see the HT coil also is a transformer so if they get liking each other ...
Old 25th March 2014, 08:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

A slightly bigger risk is something happening to the transformer ..
Old 25th March 2014, 09:51   #9
Team-BHP Support

'Sir, this car has automatic climate system, so you will get good bass.'

Sales Executive, Hyundai.

If we are believe these mechanics and sales/ service advisors, god bless us.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:11   #10
BHPian

It has to take something phenomenal to induce a current of such high amperage within the circuitry to actually fry the fuses and i don't think that it is even remotely possible. Come to think of it, there have been cases of lightning strikes on cars. I don't think their fuses blew.

I have no idea where our beloved mechanics, sc personnel and salespeople get their ideas from. None of them are willing to admit that they are not aware of something. They give you this far-fetched idea of how their friend or relative experienced something similar. Come to think of it, a famous hyundai showroom in my city has quite a number of intellectuals. One of them said that with the body of hyundai cars, one can go and ram bikes and share autos and at the maximum the car would have a scratch.
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 10:23   #11
Team-BHP Support

I am not as wise as a mechanic, nor I have grease under my fingernails, but when they rev the bike right after an oil change and anytime unnecessarily, I feel like sometimes not believing 'em would do good.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 10:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Looks like the mechanic himself has a blown fuse.
I have noticed mechanics who come out with these type of statements and think of themselves as highly knowledgeable when it is actually down right stupid.

Good mechanics hardly talk, they let their tools do all the talking.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 21:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Myth: Parking next to an electric pole causes blown fuses?

That's the weirdest thing I ever heard
I hope he did not suggest you to dangle 'lime & chili' to save the fuse

Pic : Google search
Attached Thumbnails
Myth: Parking next to an electric pole causes blown fuses?-1.jpg  

Last edited by HammerHead : 25th March 2014 at 21:55.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 16:17   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Oh my god
I never thought this day will come.

First and foremost, I need to ask you this. Please think very very carefully.
Did the mechanic have a symbol of 4 towers sitting on the head of a dragon on the back of his left hand?

Now my question may seem very weird, but to explain you have to go back 30,000 years(or is it 40,000 years).

Anyways, 30K or 40K does not matter.
As few know, Evolution on Earth was not always "natural selection". Like we did artificial selection time and again we were also nudged.

To get context, we need to go back 14 billion years. The big bang. The big bang was not the beginning. Countless universes have come and gone, with big bang igniting them, and then the big collapse compressing them to nothing.

About 3 universes ago (50-60 billion Homo Sapien years), an intelligent force called the Sentinals was able to transcend space time and exist outside.

For them time flows very slowly. In each universe they was civilizations come and go, not even lasting 1/10th of the duration of the universe.
With this universe, they started getting lonely, and decided, that atleast some planets will have intervention, which will create intelligent life, which will be able to join them.

so long an existence often leads to factions, and so 30,000 years ago, due to their intervention, there were two factions.
One wanted the Neanderthals to succeed. The other wanted the Homo Sapien(Us) to succeed.
The arguments were simple. The Neanderthal faction believed that the Neanderthals were more simpler, and more gullible, so easier to fashion into a species who will be friendly.
The Sapien faction believed that with better brains, and better logic, we will simply go ahead and become peaceful, because according to logic, we would realize, that peaceful coexistence means prosperity.

In the past, by discussion and dialogue, such conflicts were usually resolved. If that had been the case, evolution would be nudged and slowly neanderthals would die out. However, the Neanderthal faction decided to do something different.

They sneaked into the planet, took on animate forms, and started hunting Homo Sapiens, while their masters argued that Homo Sapiens were dying as they were not a viable species.

A small sub faction of Neanderthal supporters could not take this corruption, and broke the secret to the council. When the Neanderthals found out, then for the first time in 3 universes, the unthinkable crime was done. They killed their brothers who had ratted them out.

The council convened an emergency meeting, and it was decided, that for the continued existence of the Sentinals, all Neanderthal factions will have to be eliminated, as they had grown very violent.

A bitter war followed, and many planets with life were destroyed. Earth survived, and a band of neanderthals entered into the consciousness of the Neanderthal earthlings. They used their cosmic power to assume physical characteristics of Homo Sapiens, and gave themselves a mark. The mark of the dragon.

But the the council was wise. They created a wave field around the earth, which led to suppression of Sentinel consciousness, and they became Neanderthals who looked like us, but were actually dumber like Neanderthals.

As Human civilization progressed, the Sentinals realized, that they need not support the wave function, but human artifacts like Electric poles can be the wave function generators.
Only few are needed for the entire planet.

To avoid destruction by residual consciousness of the Sentinels in Neanderthals, they created a "fear psychosis" of electric poles, so communities of these began to fear electric poles and create urban legends around them.

So yes, the mechanic is most probably a suppressed Sentinel, hiding in the body of a Neanderthal who looks like a Homo Sapien. That is why he told this story. There are only 11 electric poles with wave function on this planet, and only if your bike is close to them, there can be interference, but I am told these are at places where no bikes can reach.

So your bike is safe. Our electric poles in cities are very safe and do not generate this wave function at all
tsk1979 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 16:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Oh my god
I never thought this day will come.
There can not be a better answer to the query. Is there any way we can rate the reply? If yes, its definitely a 5 star rated response!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks