Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th April 2014, 19:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Daily use Scooter for Wife

Even i would suggest Wego. Its an awesome bike . The body balance tech makes up for the lack of outright power. Riding with two people is a cake on the wego.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 23:26   #32
BHPian

You should take a look at the new Activa 125, it is essentially a Honda, reliable, fuel efficient, but handling I wouldn't know since I have not ridden it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
The Mahindra Duro is in essence the Kinetic Nova after Mahindra bought off the business from Kinetic. Am I right? If so, I might consider that too. I really liked the neutral look of the Nova and the handling was brilliant!
Actually I don't see any reason why not. I have ridden the Rodeo and I liked it and its real VFM product, other than these M&M scooters will cost you about 50K +, rest all may cross 60K OTR.
zulfi hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 18:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You should take a look at the new Activa 125, it is essentially a Honda, reliable, fuel efficient, but handling I wouldn't know since I have not ridden it yet.
If its just a grown-up version of the current Activa, I'll probably not consider it. I have never liked the Activa because its scaringly fast with poor braking, heavy, handles poorly and A.S.S can be a pain in a city like Pune where there are Activas galore!

Most members have suggested the Activa-i and the TVS Wego as the two best options so far.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 20:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Look no further than a Vespa http://www.vespa.in/home.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
We are moving back to India this month and the first thing on the shopping list is a scooter for wifey dear!
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 15:16   #35
BHPian

Got TVS Jupiter delivered a week back. Awesome ride and road grip even with notorious TVS tires. Mileage in first hand check is 58 kmpl. So far so good!
rangarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 15:45   #36
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Got TVS Jupiter delivered a week back. Awesome ride and road grip even with notorious TVS tires. Mileage in first hand check is 58 kmpl. So far so good!
Congrats on your TVS jupiter. Some impressive mileage at 58 kmpl. If time permits, can you please put up a small review of the vehicle?
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 17:32   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Congrats on the new ride.
Wego's TVS tires are too soft as compared to MRF. Jupiter has same tires as Wego. These tires grips very well which improves handling.

58 kmpl is really awesome that to before first service. Did you use tank full to tank full method?
Do post a detailed review.
mp417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 20:49   #38
BHPian

The scooter with best ride quality are the TVS twins, followed by Aviator and Access. Well no scooter is a handler, but I find the TVS twins and the Access fairly nimble. Not to forget, youth centric Dio and Ray. Well Alpha is nothing but a grown up Ray, both share the characteristics. If I would be looking at a scooter only for female, I may give Ray a shot, but I'm concerned about the fuel economy.
Well, for long term Honda engines last the most, I mean the smoothness and all will last long.
TVS Jupiter will be my first choice, followed by Wego and Activa 125.
Only for female use, Ray and upcoming Scooty Zest.
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 13:15   #39
BHPian

An Update:

Having ridden the Jupiter and recently the Activa for an extended period with a pillion, I feel the Jupiter is more stable and flickable than the Activa. The Activa also felt heavier at the back compared to the Jupiter that felt more balanced. The braking of both are not confidence inspiring and you do have to plan your stoppages.

(Mods: The Posts counter doesn't seem to be working in my case after the shift to the new server. FYI. Please delete this before posting. Thanks)
ksmrsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 20:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Small advice from me, I bought Activa 1 month back. Though engine is good, built quality is good, reliable but it has really hard suspension. My back started paining with in 2 weeks of use. I have Suzuki Swish as well for my parents in my home town. It is far superior in terms of comfort compared to Activa. Frankly speaking, I am repenting my purchase decision of Activa. I bought it purely based on looks. Whatever happens please look elsewhere for comfort. Activa is not good at all.
I second his opinion.

Activa is reliable but at the same time, If your back is fragile, avoid at all costs. Back pain, once starts will never die down. So, you'll end up spending lakhs of rupees, nurturing your back.

Nobody has mentioned about Suzuki Let's. Give it a try. Good pickup & Mileage, Light weight (98 kgs), but stable. Even the pricing is right (50K)

Looking at the other posts, TVS Wego looks better. Recently Wego has been refreshed, and now it comes with Disc Brake with just 1K more. One more + on Wego - This is the only Scooter with Gas Charged Rear Suspension. (I don't know how much it'll help in actual riding conditions).
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 21:34   #41
BHPian

Many Indian people neglect Wego just because its a indian family and doesnot hold the legendary "Honda" name (comes from foreign so it should be good) and herd mentality.

The other reason for herd mentality is that Honda was the first one to comeout with a good scooter which was reliable and fuel efficient and had sufficient power to be able to pull two persons up a hill for its designed life.

But things have changed, TVS offers Wego which I feel now is the best scooter around. Its a all rounder and possesses lots of good qualities:
1) Its all metal body good for indian conditions.
2) The best suspension in the lot of scooters available.
3) Bigger wheels for stability and alloys available.So no rusting problem with wheels.
4) The seat design is proper and not wide like other scooters, which causes rider to spread ones legs beyond a limit. This causes discomfort especially for females and also enables short height riders to touch their feet properly on ground.
5) Light weight and appropriate width to wriggle between traffic.
6) TVS Wego tyres do not slip on wet roads. This is especially important when we know that earlier TVS tyres were notoriously famous for slipping. One more point to be noted is that Honda scooters come with TVS tyres.
7) For filling up of fuel one need not lift the seat.
8) The only concern which normally we have is that the engine being a TVS (AVL) designed one would not be refined as good as Honda's. Yes its true but then this disadvantage has been off-set by the CVT (Variable pulley Belt drive-Variator) which has been tuned to use the sweetest spot of the engine thus offsetting the disadvantage. The engine used is the same one which was used 12 years ago in TVS Victor. Various modifications have been made which have reduced its NVH, increased its efficiency and reliability. Its a proven workhorse.
10)TVS spare parts are easily available at TVS service centres and are reasonably priced. Please do not use local spares. It impairs the machines performance (telling from my own experience).

I have always believed that Honda makes wonderfully smooth and reliable engines but I have never been impressed with their two wheelers build quality like plastics and chassis parts. I still remember the body panels of Unicorn and its tail light in the initial design which used to rattle like hell. Refinement is also low compared to Yamaha.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 22:25   #42
BHPian

I went against the trend (read Activa)and bought the Wego in Sept-2010. It was newly launched at that time. Four years down the line its still running good. Has not given me any major headache till now. Am consistently getting 43-45 kmpl riding 100% in Chennai city traffic.

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 1st June 2014 at 22:33.
rajivr1612 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 00:41   #43
BHPian

Wanted to add one more thing, the new version of the Wego comes with a disc brake option, something one should not miss.

Also if someone is due for a tyre change I would recommend them to go for MRF or CEAT ones as they are better on wet roads. The present cost of TVS tyre for Wego from service centre is Rs 1100. Seriously not worth it when you can get better CEAT tyres at Rs 1300 or even better MRF at nearly the same price.
amit_purohit20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 18:47   #44
BHPian

Hi guys,

I know I might be repeating the question, but I'm in a state of confusion. Need a two-wheeler for wifey for her daily commute to office. Distance would be around 13-14 kms one way.

Her requirements:

- Light weight
- Softer suspension
- Better stability

Request you to suggest some good options based on the personal experience of your better halves.

P.S. My wife is a novice to riding (has ridden a bicycle long ago)

Thanks,
Sankalp
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 19:04   #45
BHPian

Try TVS Wego or Jupiter. Or you can go for Honda Activa-i as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
Hi guys,

I know I might be repeating the question, but I'm in a state of confusion. Need a two-wheeler for wifey for her daily commute to office. Distance would be around 13-14 kms one way.

Her requirements:

- Light weight
- Softer suspension
- Better stability

Request you to suggest some good options based on the personal experience of your better halves.

P.S. My wife is a novice to riding (has ridden a bicycle long ago)

Thanks,
Sankalp
CountMe91 is offline   Reply With Quote