Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2006, 18:42   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000f
Sand paper to port the bike?
I use sand paper to clean out my ports...
Would take a life time to actually take out a couple of mm of material even with the thickest sand paper.
This is funny and news to me. I have heard people use only CNC machines and sometime dental equipment to port cylinder.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 19:01   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
pdev29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

okie i would like to ask sumthing which is offtopic but still........
what you all think about quick throttle. does that make difference and how much? i have one RXZ in my group which has a quick throttle. i tried it and felt the difference but want to how much difference it makes? and i heard its around 800 rs is that true.

Last edited by pdev29 : 20th July 2006 at 19:03.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 21:13   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdev29
what you all think about quick throttle. does that make difference and how much?
I have used this on my old RX. It makes a difference if you are on the race or rally bike where quick acceleartion is required. On a road bike, it just not convienent in the city and wastes too much fuel. It costs me about 750Rs in 2001
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 21:37   #34
BHPian
 
cbr1000f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 148
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
This is funny and news to me. I have heard people use only CNC machines and sometime dental equipment to port cylinder.
I dont know whether your joking here... but i have never come across anyone in my life who uses a CNC to port a barrel.
cbr1000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 21:55   #35
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hey Devang,

was clean out the ports with sand paper
Viper
Guys I used the words sand paper to give a general idea of the raw material used to the not so intelligent/technical people.

If you wish I can list the exact specs, type & method of porting as well.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 22:00   #36
BHPian
 
~ H O N D A ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 171
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Half Port is a local Lingo here in mumbai but i donno exactly wat it stands for......
~ H O N D A ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 23:41   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000f
I dont know whether your joking here... but i have never come across anyone in my life who uses a CNC to port a barrel.
I am sad that you havent. But that shows you havent seen advanced porting at all. With due respects, I wish to say, that advanced porting is done with CNC machines and hand finished because some portions are not accessible by the machine.

The CNC only performs the basic porting. Many hours are spent on final finishing.

I have seen the entire process. On the average, it takes about 3-4 hours of hand work before it is ready for assembly.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 20th July 2006 at 23:42.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 04:28   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000f
Roach- Yes same person from the other forum.
Neat! Bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000f
You dont know what he means by half port-full port
No friggin' idea man!
TheCockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 04:32   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I am sad that you havent. But that shows you havent seen advanced porting at all. With due respects, I wish to say, that advanced porting is done with CNC machines and hand finished because some portions are not accessible by the machine.

The CNC only performs the basic porting. Many hours are spent on final finishing.

I have seen the entire process. On the average, it takes about 3-4 hours of hand work before it is ready for assembly.

Sir! Porting done with a CNC? We are not talking about shaving the head or the bore. We're talking ports. A drill gun with specified drill bits are used.

Whats advanced porting? Are you talking about adding new transfer ports?
TheCockroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 13:09   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCockroach
Sir! Porting done with a CNC? We are not talking about shaving the head or the bore. We're talking ports. A drill gun with specified drill bits are used.

Whats advanced porting? Are you talking about adding new transfer ports?
I dont have a Indian images to show. I saw this in a foreign website I bookmarked during my bike build days. I was told by the machine operator when I ported my cylinder that porting by hand makes the port volumes unmatched. The head will give better output only if the port volumes are matched. This is not possible when done by hand because hand work lacks precision.

The place where I went does high performance porting with imported CNC machines and is not a road side mechanic with hand tools. But has a disadvantage as well. I was charged a bomb
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 16:05   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
pdev29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,037
Thanked: 258 Times
Default

Okie excep porting what else can be done to increase the pickup?

As far as i know and what i have on my bike it goes like this.

1) EC
2) Porting
3) Spark Plug and Cord
4) Air Filter
5) Sporckating

Okie what else can we add in this list to increase the power. okie and i am talking about a normal bike not a drag setup.
pdev29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 21:34   #42
BHPian
 
cbr1000f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 148
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I dont have a Indian images to show. I saw this in a foreign website I bookmarked during my bike build days. I was told by the machine operator when I ported my cylinder that porting by hand makes the port volumes unmatched. The head will give better output only if the port volumes are matched. This is not possible when done by hand because hand work lacks precision.

The place where I went does high performance porting with imported CNC machines and is not a road side mechanic with hand tools. But has a disadvantage as well. I was charged a bomb

What do you need to match your ports with on a single cylinder rx man?
Unless you've been working on your transfers too..
INteresting stuff though... care to PM me the name and number of the person doing this.
I'd be more than interested to speak to him about doing me a portjob.

Cockroach Half port means hes taken a couple of mm off your ports but your still not nearly as fast as "our street port"
Full port means hes got almost 4-5mm out.You get no mileage but your still nowhere near a track/race setup.
cbr1000f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2008, 16:48   #43
BHPian
 
malvechaitanya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 31
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

HALF Porting is just Polishing the Intake And Exhaust Barrels by removing the exessive aluminium....FUll Porting includes polishing , then enlarging ports at cylinder wall according to DEGREE from ATDC.....Which is very difficult job....


Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ H O N D A ~ View Post
Half Port is a local Lingo here in mumbai but i donno exactly wat it stands for......

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th March 2008 at 16:53. Reason: Only two smilies allowed
malvechaitanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange Sound from Yamaha RXZ Gearbox - Need Help! Rajeev29 Motorbikes 4 26th March 2007 23:01
Help On Porting Gypsy Head malvechaitanya Technical Stuff 1 18th February 2007 06:01
Moded Yamaha RXZ for Sale pdev29 Shifting gears 3 6th June 2006 16:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks