Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 2nd June 2015, 13:03   #151
BHPian

Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

@OP - Yes the NS and AS have identical engines, but most of the reviews say that the refinement has changed a lot due the improvements done by bajaj. The RS on the other hand has changes to the throttle body and FI is a added bonus, but the faring does add a bit of weight. Check out OD's review of the 200AS. U'll get a finer picture. The big windscreen is a huge bonus and the semi faring doesn't' add much in terms of weight over the NS. The think visinting the showroom actually would help you decide, as the bajaj offerings are a huge VFM products.
Rohit_Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 13:06   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
ABS
Bosch 9MB two-channel ABS
I may be wrong, but I think these are only for the export models. I vaguely remember seeing something similar when i was trying to find out more about Duke before getting her home.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:25   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I may be wrong, but I think these are only for the export models. I vaguely remember seeing something similar when i was trying to find out more about Duke before getting her home.

--Anoop
I called the KTM guys and they did confirm the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
@OP - Yes the NS and AS have identical engines, but most of the reviews say that the refinement has changed a lot due the improvements done by bajaj. The RS on the other hand has changes to the throttle body and FI is a added bonus, but the faring does add a bit of weight. Check out OD's review of the 200AS. U'll get a finer picture. The big windscreen is a huge bonus and the semi faring doesn't' add much in terms of weight over the NS. The think visinting the showroom actually would help you decide, as the bajaj offerings are a huge VFM products.
I somehow don't like the AS fairing. The NS design is more appealing. I am being told by 3 Bajaj dealers that there are no dispatches of the NS and the company is pushing more on the AS & RS versions. I am still trying with few more dealers if I can find one NS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
No the Duke 200 never had ABS. Not sure about now. But unlikely such a massive change would be introduced and not heralded or discussed anywhere. I don't think the NS has ABS either. What about the AS? If you go for the Pulsars, definitely try to upgrade the rubber from the showroom directly. I don't know if the Duke's rear rubber will fit, but it would be a worthy upgrade to what are pretty sad tyres on a performance machine for the Pulsar.

So I walked in to the KTM showroom today morning which is near my office. The showroom was empty as nobody logged in till then. After five minutes a guy wearing orange ktm t shirt walks in and after settling up his belongings comes to me. I asked for a D200 test ride and he tells me only D390 is available for a ride. The only D200 test ride they had met with an accident and they don't have any plans of getting another one

But I did check out the demo bike in detail and like the built quality.

Will check with remaining two KTM dealers and upate.
Abhi_abarth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 15:32   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Will check with remaining two KTM dealers and upate.
So, Did you get the Test ride done? Any Updates?

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 17:26   #155
BHPian

Quote:

--Anoop
Hey Anoop,
Couldn't make it during the weekends due to some weddings. Should be going in this week.
Abhi_abarth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 17:04   #156
BHPian

Quote:

--Anoop
Ok, not much happening on my side since my 6 months old daughter keeping us busy.

However, I happen to visit the KTM dealer (Begumpet) but they only have a 390 test ride bike. Went to another dealer which is at Jubilee hills but sadly the guy incharge was on leave and they asked me to come some other day which I couldn't manage.

Then my colleague was planning to upgrade from his 8 year old passion plus so we decided to check out all the competent 150 cc range motor cycles. I could use this time for my search as well. So we first landed at hero showroom and my eyes fell on the Karizma twins. Just one word to describe them 'Ugly'.

There was a royal enfield showroom just few yards away hence we decided to check out the Thunder bird variants. Though I don't like bullets I have a soft corner for the thunderbird. The showroom was big but nobody cared to attend to us. I myself checked out the display bikes and finally went to the cash counter and enquired for a test ride and got a firm 'no' citing the reason that the bikes were getting serviced. Walked away little disappointed.

Our next destination was Bajaj, part of the showroom has been transformed into spare part counter and only an AS was on display. Couldn't get a test ride as they were having lunch. However, till date only the NS has been my favourite due to the naked stance.

Right opposite to Bajaj was the Honda which was our last destination. My friend went out for test riding the CB Shine and unicorn160. And then my eyes fell on this :

The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)-20150619_145926_richtonehdr1.jpg

A CBR 250 R Repsol edition. I liked the bike so much that i was glued to her and was checking out each and every part. I asked for a test ride but they had none. Kept requesting them like a kid but they didn't budge at all. The moment I reached office i started to read everything about this CBR250R and fellow bhpian aargee's thread ([http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html (Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions)) was very helpful.

Reading the ownership reviews and watching the videos on youtube I am feeling that this is the bike that ticks my boxes. I was getting restless and called up all the other honda dealers. Only two of them offering a test ride. So somehow managed to go to one of them (fortune Honda) but after making me wait for an hour (yes an hour) I had to walk away. They didn't have a test ride bike but there was one which was due for delivery and they were trying for the approvals and stuff so that I could test on it. I didn't like that as I wouldn't like my bike to be ridden by someone before it was delivered to me.

Considering the pricing of the Cbr250 R ABS which reaches plus 2 lakhs I was also looking at preowned ones on olx. There were many on sale but mostly the 2011 models. I am interested for 2012 onwards models and then last friday i saw a listing which was a 2013 Repsol edition with 4700 KM on clock. Messaged the owner and we agreed to meet on saturday. After I walked out of the showroom I straight away went to check the repsol cbr. The owner is a college kid doing his graduation and uses it for college commute. I rode the bike for a less than half km in the heart of the city (Nampally to Abids). There wasn't much to explore the bike on these roads. What I liked about the bike was it had very nice seating position and brakes were excellent. The negatives were, I felt the bike was very noisy (unlike Hondas), the front alloy was covered with brake dust. The fuel indicator was flashing which means it can go dry any time (i guess so) which certainly isn't good for a fuel injection bike. I offered 1.2 Lakh and left. The kid messages me for 1.4 lakh. I haven't replied yet though. I still have to assess it's driving capabilities.

So, with this I am still at the starting point whether to go for a new bike or continue with my unicorn. I love the CBR but 2 lakhs is quite a lot of money. I am giving myself some more time to think over this and action. Maybe the Duke 200 is better than the cbr !

P.S : I won't give up untill i test ride the duke 200 and the cbr250 r though

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 1st July 2015 at 17:13. Reason: Added : text
Abhi_abarth is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 18:28   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I offered 1.2 Lakh and left. The kid messages me for 1.4 lakh. I haven't replied yet though. I still have to assess it's driving capabilities.
Frankly, if the bikes pull your heart, do consider it. I dont now the exact going rates there, but from an outset, it seems like a good deal (provided the bike is accident free and is in a good condition).

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:18   #158
BHPian

I am a proud owner of a CBZ xtreme since 2010. I have clocked close to 31k Kms on it. It quite well maintained with periodic services (although it has a lot of parking lot scratches). I have nothing to complain about the bike, it has served me well all these years without complaining at all. My parents feel that the pillion seat is too tall and and they find it difficult to climb (yes climb).

I was contemplating the idea of a new bike next year and all of a sudden the bullet bug bit me quite hard and now its itching quite badly. After years of owning a niggle free bike , I am having serious thoughts of buying a bullet. Should I or should I not ??
I thought of buying a CBR 250RR with ABS , but its quite beyond my budget , no pillion comfort for my parents. I do like the new pulsar rs 200 ,but then again its too sporty and has no pillion comfort for my parents.

I will be able to save enough money for the classic 350 for 2016, but a few more months of savings , I will be able to stretch it for classic 500 .I am so confused , fellow BHPians , please advise.
girimajiananth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 11:48   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, with this I am still at the starting point whether to go for a new bike or continue with my unicorn. I love the CBR but 2 lakhs is quite a lot of money. I am giving myself some more time to think over this and action. Maybe the Duke 200 is better than the cbr !

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.
CBR 250 is an excellent choice. I would suggest you test ride the kids bike once again in bit open roads with more fuel in the tank and check for abnormal sounds from the drive train. You can agree on a mid point price of 1.3L which is a good price for the Repsol ABS model.

Also get the bike evaluated from Honda service center to see if there are any major niggles with the bike. If none, then it would make a really good long term buy
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:10   #160
BHPian

Quote:
(provided the bike is accident free and is in a good condition).
Along with this, please also ensure that theres no outstanding police case/challan with the bike, for very obvious reasons.

Quote:
Do check out the D200 as well. Although the substance of both the bikes is completely different, they are both scintillating in their own sectors. Test ride both the bikes in detail and you will know what I mean. For the CBR, pay special attention to the behaviour of the bike under hard braking conditions. Good luck!
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 15:16   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I do like the new pulsar rs 200 ,but then again its too sporty and has no pillion comfort for my parents.

I will be able to save enough money for the classic 350 for 2016, but a few more months of savings , I will be able to stretch it for classic 500 .I am so confused , fellow BHPians , please advise.
girimajiananth mate as a RE owner I will suggest you to opt for the Electra UCE instead of CL 350 UCE if you are considering 350cc models. This is because Electra has the legendary single step up seat which is unmatched when it comes to rider as well as pillion comfort. Since either of your parent will be sitting pillion, Electra's seat will be the best of all. You also have an option with Standard 350 UCE but you will have to forego the benefit of electric starter and front disc brake. If you are able to stretch for 500cc then you have the Standard Bullet 500 UCE option as it has the same legendary seat configuration which is very comfortable. With Bullet 500 UCE you will get a front disc brake and electric starter but will miss out on EFi which is available on CL500 UCE. If you want the CL500 UCE then you always have the option of modifying the seats for comfort as the factory fitted seats are not very comfortable (this maybe subjective) especially the rear narrow pillion seat. Ultimately the choice is yours.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 2nd July 2015 at 15:18.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 15:58   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but then again its too sporty and has no pillion comfort for my parents.
If Pillion comfort is one of the decision making factor, as Navis_V8 said, do consider the Step up single seat - the twin seats of CL 350 and 500 are not as comfy as the single step up seat.

Between 350cc and 500cc, do factor in the increased running cost of a 500cc RE, compared to a 350cc RE. If you can afford to buy and run a 500cc RE, and is not smitten by the classic looks, I would say go for Standard Bullet 500.

--Anoop
Old 2nd July 2015, 19:55   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
girimajiananth mate as a RE owner I will suggest you to opt for the Electra UCE instead of CL 350 UCE if you are considering 350cc models. This is because Electra has the legendary single step up seat which is unmatched when it comes to rider as well as pillion comfort. .
Quote:
If Pillion comfort is one of the decision making factor, as Navis_V8 said, do consider the Step up single seat - the twin seats of CL 350 and 500 are not as comfy as the single step up seat.

Between 350cc and 500cc, do factor in the increased running cost of a 500cc RE, compared to a 350cc RE. If you can afford to buy and run a 500cc RE, and is not smitten by the classic looks, I would say go for Standard Bullet 500.

--Anoop
Thanks folks , but I am smitten by the looks of the classic. I might try and get the seats modified . @Anoop , when you say running costs , do you mean only FE ? what other factors do you want me to look at ?
girimajiananth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:33   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks folks , but I am smitten by the looks of the classic. I might try and get the seats modified . @Anoop , when you say running costs , do you mean only FE ? what other factors do you want me to look at ?
Yes, the FE. I cant really say how much it varies, but the FE of 500, if flogged, is nothing much to write home about. I had a Desert Storm and though I never kept an account, I did remember fueling up her frequently

--Anoop
Old 3rd July 2015, 09:35   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks folks , but I am smitten by the looks of the classic. I might try and get the seats modified .
If you are smitten by the looks then there's no looking further. Listen to your heart and you will never regret. If you are looking at getting the seats modified then bucket seat is a good option to consider.

About your question about fuel economy , the 350cc will definately give you a better mileage than the 500cc. Also it depends on your riding style and pattern. There are some 500cc riders who are consistently getting 34-36KMPL with mixed riding conditions, including me. If you are going to use it as a city bike then 350cc makes sense. If you are going to use it as a highway cruiser then 500cc makes sense, because it is the highways where the 500cc motor simply outshines the 350cc interms of torque, power and high speed cruising. My suggestion go take a test ride of both the engines and then decide.

P.S. Just my suggestion, also try to test ride the Electra 350 as it is a very underrated bike in the RE stable. In a true world it is a wonderful bike with best of both worlds, wherein you get that classic and timeless regal look with the comfortable single step up seat coupled with electric starter and front disc brake complete with chrome round mudguards and 19 inch wheels both front and rear.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote