Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:23   #166
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
If you are smitten by the looks then there's no looking further. Listen to your heart and you will never regret. If you are looking at getting the seats modified then bucket seat is a good option to consider.
You are right , when I wanted to buy a 150 cc bike , I test rode all the bikes, unicorn ,pulsar, apache , r15 , fz and everything else. But I somewhat liked CBZ , it was not very common on the roads (it felt like a unique bike in a praking lot) and I did not regret the decision on buying the CBZ at all.

What exactly is a bucket seat ? I have seen bucket seats in cars,but not on bikes . Any pics ? references ?
Regarding useage,I am a very sedate rider, highway useage will be very less (almost nil) so 350 makes sense.I will test ride the electra,but classic looks of 350 makes me drool(especially when the pillion seat is removed)
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:22   #167
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
You are right , when I wanted to buy a 150 cc bike , I test rode all the bikes, unicorn ,pulsar, apache , r15 , fz and everything else. But I somewhat liked CBZ , it was not very common on the roads (it felt like a unique bike in a praking lot) and I did not regret the decision on buying the CBZ at all.
One can never go wrong with the heart. I have had the pleasure to the ride the first generation CBZ (2002 model) that came with Honda 156cc engine and TPFC ignition, I still do ride it occassionally as my brother in law still has it. The CBZ is a typical Honda with ultrasmooth refinement and brutal acceleration. Are you going to sell it off or retain it?

Quote:
What exactly is a bucket seat ? I have seen bucket seats in cars,but not on bikes . Any pics ? references ?
Regarding useage,I am a very sedate rider, highway useage will be very less (almost nil) so 350 makes sense.I will test ride the electra,but classic looks of 350 makes me drool(especially when the pillion seat is removed)
To give you an example of the bucket seats check this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...please-56.html (All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please)

post no. 826

As you are a sedate rider and dont ride much on the highways, it is better to buy a 350cc. All the best
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 14:25   #168
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 509
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Are you going to sell it off or retain it?
I am planning to sell it since I do not see the point of maintaining 2 bikes. Selling the bike will help me arrange some finances too . I might be planning this bike later this year or early next year. In my family , we usually purchase such things on some ocassion , like a festival or birthday. I bought my cbz xtreme on my birthday 5 years ago.

I just checked the prices with a near by dealer (jayanagar 9th block , next to Jayadeva ). Classic 350 costs 1.48L OTR and electra costs 1.39L OTR and claimed that the waiting period is 3 months. Is it true ? What about other dealers in Bangalore ? Are they any competative like other bike dealers?

Last edited by girimajiananth : 3rd July 2015 at 14:53.
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:34   #169
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: 786 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
One can never go wrong with the heart. I have had the pleasure to the ride the first generation CBZ (2002 model) that came with Honda 156cc engine and TPFC ignition, I still do ride it occassionally as my brother in law still has it. The CBZ is a typical Honda with ultrasmooth refinement and brutal acceleration. Are you going to sell it off or retain it?

Extremely surprising comments as my first motorcycle was a Hero Honda CBZ from the initial batches.

The 156 cc engine of the CBZ had one with one of the most NON-Honda like character.

>> It had vibes around 55-70 kmph mark in top gear (also noted by Overdrive in 1999 just before its launch).

>> It was not fuel efficient. Never returned more than 35 Kmpl

>> Top speed was just around 105-106 kmph (Speedo indicated)


It looked Good and that was just about it. No wonder the Pulsar killed the CBZ.

Last edited by payeng : 3rd July 2015 at 15:36.
payeng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:03   #170
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Extremely surprising comments as my first motorcycle was a Hero Honda CBZ from the initial batches.
Same here mate I too am amazed at your Extremely surprising comments.

Quote:
The 156 cc engine of the CBZ had one with one of the most NON-Honda like character.
I dunno but I have rode it and even after about 13 years it still feels tight and refined as it was before. The fact that my brother in law still uses it and it ticks like a swiss watch amazes both him and me. The parts used are so good and of high quality that the bike still holds itself well. The engine even today starts in first kick and sprints ahead like an eager athlete. I realized the sticker that says "Super Sprint" on the side panel is not just there for namesake it means business.

Quote:
>> It had vibes around 55-70 kmph mark in top gear (also noted by Overdrive in 1999 just before its launch).
Well the one I am referring to is a 2002 model so there might be some tweaking it would've underwent during those years. I have taken it to 90KMPH and even 100 KMPH, yes there were vibes but so much as mentioned. It had a very good pickup for a 4 stroke 150cc of that era.

Quote:
>> It was not fuel efficient. Never returned more than 35 Kmpl

>> Top speed was just around 105-106 kmph (Speedo indicated)
AFAIK no motorcycle which came during that era with a similar displacement returned a decent mileage. It had a richer fuel mixture that might have affected the mileage but the performance is great. Also depends from rider to rider my brother in law says it gives him atleast 40 KMPL mileage with mixed riding conditions. Infact the quest for increasing mileage Hero Honda changed the carburretor to CV type. This is what affected the pickup to somewhat extent as experienced by me during 2005 while I rode my friends' brand new CBZ.

Quote:
It looked Good and that was just about it. No wonder the Pulsar killed the CBZ.
I disagree as it had a host of features besides good looking like TPFC, front disc brake, bigger 12L fuel tank, first 5 speed gearbox for a 150cc, etc. Pulsar outsold the CBZ due to price advantage if we are talking about the 150cc variant.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 3rd July 2015 at 16:08.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 21:28   #171
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: 786 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
AFAIK no motorcycle which came during that era with a similar displacement returned a decent mileage.
Both the Pulsar 150 and Fiero were (both 150 from the same era) more fuel efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
It had a richer fuel mixture that might have affected the mileage but the performance is great.
Both Pulsar 150 and Fiero had better performance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Also depends from rider to rider my brother in law says it gives him atleast 40 KMPL mileage with mixed riding conditions.
Never returned more than 35 kmpl to me even with the lightest of throttle and best maintenance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I disagree as it had a host of features besides good looking like TPFC, front disc brake, bigger 12L fuel tank, first 5 speed gearbox for a 150cc, etc.

Pulsar outsold the CBZ due to price advantage if we are talking about the 150cc variant.

In the 2000's - Fiero had the Best 150 cc engine and Pulsar was the Best 150 cc Package.

Last edited by payeng : 3rd July 2015 at 21:35.
payeng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 13:36   #172
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
That's my bike , rather was my bike before I sold it off regrettably. (see"view my garage" for more pics)

Those were very comfortable seats but were custom made. The springs helped in more comfort during pothole bumps. Unbelivably that guy charged me RS.1000/- back in 2007 and now he asks Rs. 6000/- for the same style for my friend's bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
CBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Pulsar 150 and Fiero In the 2000's - Fiero had the Best 150 cc engine and Pulsar was the Best 150 cc Package.
CBZ single handedly changed the Indian 100cc biking scenario just like the Yamaha Rx 100s and Hero Honda CD 100s did. Although expensive yet CBZ gave the first feel of a premium bike which was the best. Period.

Suzuki has always tried to launch their products playing a safe game, after letting the competition experiment, which is not a bad strategy too. Like Shogun for Rx 100, Fireo for CBZ, GS 150 for Unicorn, Access for Activa and now Gixxer 155 for FZ. No doubt that Suzuki products are great but they hardly ever took initiative to change the market after the Ind Suzuki Ax 100 which was the only model launched before the rivals, rather they always have tried to better the already successful products available.

The CBZees were expensive parts wise, but it also showed that the 4 strokes could also be termed as performance machines rather than just mileage products like the Bajaj4s and Hero Honda Splendors. It wasn't a refined product but still it raised the benchmark very high.

Then later Pulsars and Fieros bettered it.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2015, 17:00   #173
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: 786 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
CBZ single handedly changed the Indian 100cc biking scenario just like the Yamaha Rx 100s and Hero Honda CD 100s did. Although expensive yet CBZ gave the first feel of a premium bike which was the best. Period.

Agree with you. The CBZ showed that a new category existed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Suzuki has always tried to launch their products playing a safe game, after letting the competition experiment, which is not a bad strategy too. Like Shogun for Rx 100, Fireo for CBZ, GS 150 for Unicorn, Access for Activa and now Gixxer 155 for FZ. No doubt that Suzuki products are great but they hardly ever took initiative to change the market after the Ind Suzuki Ax 100 which was the only model launched before the rivals, rather they always have tried to better the already successful products available.
True, even internationally the only standout product from Suzuki (thanks to its effort to create a new segment) is the Hayabusa.



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
It wasn't a refined product but still it raised the benchmark very high.

Then later Pulsars and Fieros bettered it.

Right once again. The CBZ started a new game, it was the Pulsar that went ahead and wrote the rules (even the fiero couldn't stay in the game despite having a gem of an engine).





Last edited by payeng : 4th July 2015 at 17:01.
payeng is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2015, 10:16   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Those were very comfortable seats but were custom made. The springs helped in more comfort during pothole bumps. Unbelivably that guy charged me RS.1000/- back in 2007 and now he asks Rs. 6000/- for the same style for my friend's bike.
Holy Molly that's a huge jump in the asking price for the seat mate.

Quote:
CBZ single handedly changed the Indian 100cc biking scenario just like the Yamaha Rx 100s and Hero Honda CD 100s did. Although expensive yet CBZ gave the first feel of a premium bike which was the best. Period.
You said my words. Even now when I ride the CBZ I can get that "feel" that I used to get when I rode it for the first time in 2003. I used to ride some of my friends' Pulsar 150, Fiero and Fiero F2. I somehow didn't used to get the feel while riding these motorcycles. Maybe it was just me but I simply couldn't find the pleasure and feel while riding the latter motorcycles and that is what I mentioned in my previous posts. No doubt Pulsar 150 changed the game while the TVS/Suzuki Fiero series died its own premature death despite being a competitive motorcycle.

I think we are veering but I need to mention this. Believe me mate, the emotion that a CBZ creates when I saw it in 2002 and even when I see it now cannot be described in words. It has bigger dimensions than its competition and an imposing stance, that slight bent front leaning ride position coupled with slightly bent knees was awesome, those fatter round profile tyres at the rear was cool, the sound of the engine with that mild thump was awesome. My brother in law who still uses it shows me the original stainless steel rims which still shine with no rust, the switches and the instrument cluster still function as they were before, indicators are still original and working fine without replacement for the last 13 years, the engine has a character of its own and still retains the Honda refinement and reliability.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 16:19   #175
BHPian
 
Turbokick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 512
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

I have few things to share on the original cbz model:
1. It was a very unHonda like in terms of engine behavior. The engine was rough in the mid range but at the same time was a very strong performer. It had a great accelerating power and engine note.
You will find it just the opposite with the Honda Unicorn. It is super refined and a sedate performer. Both the engines belonged to Honda!
2. Original cbz was the fastest motorcycle in its class. Fiero, original pulsar included in the comparison.
3. Pulsar clicked because it was priced much more reasonably and had good fuel efficiency. Hero Honda never really updated the original cbz with time apart from a different carb and some stickers. Things were even more surprising when they launched achiever (ambition with heart transplant) instead of updating the cbz with a new engine. And yes cbz had costly spares
4. Technically cbz is a superior motorcycle to both Pulsar and Fiero in terms of acceleration, suspension, braking, ergonomics etc. Even the build quality was pretty good. Fiero had a great engine though.
5. Fuel economy and bad support killed the product
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 17:35   #176
BHPian
 
deemash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Just beside you
Posts: 78
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

I ride close to 100 kms daily (up n down) from office to home. Difficult to use car in horrible traffic.
So sometimes, I come by car and sometimes by Bike. I need a decent bike above 200cc with great pickup and less service intervals (more kms servicing). I already have a Pulsar 150cc which is 5 years old. Need pillion comfort too.
Please suggest.
deemash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 18:28   #177
BHPian
 
The Great's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 604
Thanked: 600 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemash View Post
I ride close to 100 kms daily (up n down) from office to home. Difficult to use car in horrible traffic.
So sometimes, I come by car and sometimes by Bike. I need a decent bike above 200cc with great pickup and less service intervals (more kms servicing). I already have a Pulsar 150cc which is 5 years old. Need pillion comfort too.
Please suggest.
Test ride the Pulsar AS 200. Great VFM, a pocket rocket and low on pocket too.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 18:56   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,534
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

AS200 is a good suggestion from TheGreat. Along with that, also consider the CBR250R. Very refined, with adequate power, decent pillion comfort and it is one of the bikes with very few niggles / issues. Which means the downtime at the service center is reduced to just the scheduled services. It should also return decent numbers in terms of FE in traffic. If pillion comfort is not important, then the KTM Duke 200 should be on your list too. It is one hooligan to ride in traffic and always manages to put a smile on your face after each ride. If majority of your ride is on good roads, the KTM is good, else the Honda/Bajaj AS should serve you well where you don't have to slow down a lot for road undulations.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 20:52   #179
BHPian
 
Happysmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: pune
Posts: 89
Thanked: 86 Times
Default

Do consider the new Bajaj Eliminator. This one looks and feels much better than the previous generation. Good riding posture and comfortable pillion seat for daily commuting.

Off course, you must test ride all the shortlisted bikes before finalizing.
Happysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2016, 12:45   #180
BHPian
 
deemash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Just beside you
Posts: 78
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Do consider the new Bajaj Eliminator. This one looks and feels much better than the previous generation. Good riding posture and comfortable pillion seat for daily commuting.

Off course, you must test ride all the shortlisted bikes before finalizing.
I am 6ft. This bike does not suite me. Thank you the suggestion though.
deemash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchase Dilemma: CRUZE LTZ Auto Vs. Skoda Yeti Ambiente Screwdriva Sedans 17 6th December 2010 17:22
what's the difference between a grey market purchase and a B&W purchase wannabelean In-Car Entertainment 99 3rd June 2009 16:54
Bike Purchase Dilemma Amien Motorbikes 15 26th August 2008 15:34
Purchase Advice Guys !! - Karizma / P220 / Avenger 200 VSG12777 Motorbikes 44 16th March 2008 13:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks