Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th April 2015, 12:07   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The 2014 Motorcycle purchase dilemma (200-400cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
But every time I walk towards it.... buying decision justified.
That IS the single barebone reason shared by RE owners across the world.

The brain has little to do with it.

Enjoy yourself. Would love to see the modification process. Ton-up is a painful, expensive, frustrating, and all-consuming process that per my knowledge 4 or 5 Bullets in the entire country have actually (authentically, demonstratably) managed to fruition.

My 2002 Std 500 and my 2007 Machismo 500 were both in the 140+ (true) region. Of course they started off slower than what you've got from the factory. Even so, its going to take some doing. And at the end of it, you're (probably) going to wistfully look back at these days you are living now, when she is fresh and new and stock, and want to revert her back to that - having tried everything else.

Its a journey, and its fun.
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 12:13   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That IS the single barebone reason shared by RE owners across the world.

The brain has little to do with it.
With second thoughts of course.

My gang still doesn't believe that a Royal Enfield is what I own as of date.
Nostalgia & all that legacy aside, even though I own it, its not really up to the mark i'd say.

Quote:
Enjoy yourself. Would love to see the modification process. Ton-up is a painful, expensive, frustrating, and all-consuming process that per my knowledge 4 or 5 Bullets in the entire country have actually (authentically, demonstratably) managed to fruition.

My 2002 Std 500 and my 2007 Machismo 500 were both in the 140+ (true) region. Of course they started off slower than what you've got from the factory. Even so, its going to take some doing. And at the end of it, you're (probably) going to wistfully look back at these days you are living now, when she is fresh and new and stock, and want to revert her back to that - having tried everything else.

Its a journey, and its fun.
If not a true ton-up, at least have it look like that?

It's not a huge gap for the GT to pull though. It does 120+ on the speedo easily.

Have a look at this: https://instagram.com/dilsherofficial/

A new & better sounding exhaust, lowering those clip-ons, some decals, etc. are surely going to happen. Not before Diwali 2015 though. Will keep it running stock at least till 5k kms.

Last edited by parrys : 20th April 2015 at 12:16.
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 12:34   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Nostalgia & all that legacy aside, even though I own it, its not really up to the mark i'd say.
That is life. Am I up to the mark? Are you up to the mark? No room for improvement?

Yes, like all old bikes, a Bullet makes you philosophical. More accepting of life. Warts and all.

Quote:
If not a true ton-up, at least have it look like that?
Yup, there is a lot you can do there. I'd start with the rear fender, and that bulbous headlight dome. Of course changing the exhaust is a given. The tyres and brakes are so good. Love both.

Quote:
It's not a huge gap for the GT to pull though. It does 120+ on the speedo easily.
Let us know how easy it is once you get into it. Do you know Sachin at RE? He would have some good advice and could be of help with stuff.

Quote:
Have a look at this: https://instagram.com/dilsherofficial/
How do I get to see the photos? I can only see small thumbnails, and when I click on them, I get to see comments, not the actual large photos ....

Quote:
A new & better sounding exhaust
A reverse cone megaphone.

Quote:
lowering those clip-ons
Frankly the clip-ons or the brackets are too Chinesy and do not go with the bike. Would like to see more nicely machined shiny billet aluminum there in its place.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:42   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is life. Am I up to the mark? Are you up to the mark? No room for improvement?

Yes, like all old bikes, a Bullet makes you philosophical. More accepting of life. Warts and all.

Yup, there is a lot you can do there. I'd start with the rear fender, and that bulbous headlight dome. Of course changing the exhaust is a given. The tyres and brakes are so good. Love both.

Let us know how easy it is once you get into it. Do you know Sachin at RE? He would have some good advice and could be of help with stuff.

How do I get to see the photos? I can only see small thumbnails, and when I click on them, I get to see comments, not the actual large photos ....

A reverse cone megaphone.

Frankly the clip-ons or the brackets are too Chinesy and do not go with the bike. Would like to see more nicely machined shiny billet aluminum there in its place.
For 2.2 lakh OTR, there's a lot of improvement needed. Starting with the paint itself.

Would actually leave the rear as is, without that ugly mudflap, it looks decent.

Images via that link show fine. Are you on Instagram? Then you can follow that user.

Yes, know Sachin. Will connect on a later stage.

For custom clip-ons, there are a lot of mod-shops in Mumbai. But as I said, post Diwali 2015.

Name:  10428685_10152922054644387_3635098121156155872_n.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  107.3 KB
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 23:04   #125
BHPian

After a fairly long time, it looks like I might be looking for a new *commuter* ride.

I have a 2007 Pulsar 220FI which served me admirably well, with 1 breakdown and few niggles. Of late though, it's been a little unpredictable , shutting off once is a while at low speeds - this is different from the cold start stall, in that it does occasionally stall/shut off even when warm, on closed or very low throttle opening. A few rattles in the front and inside the silencer (already changed once for 6500). It runs fine yet, apart from this occasional shutdown and the rattles/vibes.

What I'm really looking for is a comfortable, reliable commuter with adequate power - so I'm hesitant to go 150cc - and good headlamps, along with a generous tank capacity so I don't have to visit the fuel bunk often, or for that occasional long distance trip. A main stand would be very nice to have. Not much attention grabber, so that I can leave it in public parking unattended ( hence - nothing more premium than an RC390 - it's old enough and common enough not to warrant unwanted attention ).

I have not ridden any of these except a very very short ride on the RC390, and the R15v1 (not the v2).

Plan A :
Sell the 220, buy a new bike. Budget not strictly set, but want to keep it low to around 1 lac to 1.5. I haven't ruled out more costlier options, upto the RC390 ( 2.35 lac ).

Plan B :
Sell the 220 , buy second hand bike (ahem, KTM) not more than 2 years old.

Plan C :
Shower more TLC on the 220, spend time and money to clean injector or replace with carb or whatever takes to get it fit-n-right and rock it for another few years, which I think it will do with ease.

Plan D :
Don't shoot me, please ! Get a scooter instead.
(Runs into bomb-proof bunker).

OK, all cool?
What I'm hoping to get here, is feedback, either direct or 3rd party, from owners of Gixxer , FZ , KTM RC200/390 about the headlamp effectiveness, ergonomics.

My shortlist :

Pulsar 200AS:
+ good headlamps (expecting)
+ cheap parts
+ most practical of the lot , I feel fits my need best.
+ full mudflap finally , no rear hugger.
- niggles?

Pulsar 200RS
+ projector headlamps
+ cheap parts
+ ABS option
- niggles with plastics?

Pulsar 200NS
+ VFM
+ cheap parts
- niggles ?

KTM RC200
+ weight
+ power
+ cheap parts
+ projector lights
- tank capacity
- exhaust note
- niggles (guess common to the KTM range)

KTM RC390
+ power
+ weight
+ cheap parts
+ projector lights
- tank capacity
- exhaust note
- high strung

KTM Duke 200
+ power
+ weight
+ projector headlamps
+ cheap parts
- exhaust note
- tank capacity

KTM Duke 390
+ power
+ weight
+ projector headlamps
+ cheap parts
- exhaust note
- high strung
- tank capacity

CBR250R
+ nice engine
+ cheap parts
+ good all rounder
- tyres

Gixxer
+ handling
- performance
- price to performance

R15
+ handling
+ refinement
- price to performance
- ergonomics

FZ/Fazer v2
+ refinement
+ handling
- performance

Avenger 220
+ 60W headlamp
- stiff suspension
- no tubeless tyres

Last edited by Ricci : 15th May 2015 at 23:08.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 01:33   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Plan C :
Shower more TLC on the 220, spend time and money to clean injector or replace with carb or whatever takes to get it fit-n-right and rock it for another few years, which I think it will do with ease.
To fix the slow speed shut down issue, you need to do a couple of things -

1. Replace fuel filter if not replaced recently
2. Check / Replace air filter
3. Check / Replace spark plugs
4. Open the throttle body and clean the butterfly
5. Get CO tuning + idle setting done

The above is the standard set of stuff to do, but the other causes could be weak battery or even failing fuel pump, god forbid its the latter !!

If the exhaust is making noise internally, especially around the bend near the exhaust manifold then you have the option to weld the internal bend pipe, but this wont hold for long and you will need to replace the exhaust again. 6500 was years ago, it was 9K last time I checked.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 08:22   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

On a related note: I am looking at a all day long cruising bike, which can munch miles at a pretty 100-110kmph, with the ability of me able to sit in the saddle for about 3-5 hours at a stretch, what i am looking for is a two wheeled equivalent of my Storme, the ability to do long distance cruising, and covering 700 - 1000 odd kms in a day. I don't need the bike to off-road, or hit 250kmph, or carve corners in a jiffy, just the ability to perform stress free cruise. I wouldn't look at buzzy revvy engines, redlining at 11k rpm, nor a 3500 rpm vibrator on wheels. Budget is up to 15 lacs on road.
Need your inputs please. PS: my TBTS500 stays on, for the occasional biking buddy trips around Mumbai and running errands, too much in love with that to sell off
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 12:00   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After a fairly long time, it looks like I might be looking for a new *commuter* ride.
Sub 10,000 km used mint condition second hand Duke 200 in 80-85K. Put it another 10K odd in servicing, small part replacement/blinging and brand new tyres (the MRFs designed for the 390 would be great).

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
On a related note: I am looking at a all day long cruising bike, which can munch miles at a pretty 100-110kmph, with the ability of me able to sit in the saddle for about 3-5 hours at a stretch
Harley Davidson Fat Bob
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 12:03   #129
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:

Harley Davidson Fat Bob
Thanks.. thought about it, but the heft is putting me off, I don't want to break my back trying to shift a 350kg lump of iron, also tried a few of them in the IBW, why are they still vibrating like a thumper? Is there a modern alternative?
apachelongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 12:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.. thought about it, but the heft is putting me off, I don't want to break my back trying to shift a 350kg lump of iron, also tried a few of them in the IBW, why are they still vibrating like a thumper? Is there a modern alternative?
From what I recall you are a big guy. Tall. That was 12+ years ago. Sure you would have put some meat on to those bones by now as well. Handling these bikes on the move is no problem, even for small guys. Yeah, moving them around while parking etc. is a big pain. But that's 2-3 minutes of pain for 3-4 hours of open road pleasure.
Old 16th May 2015, 18:57   #131
BHPian

Quote:

What I'm really looking for is a comfortable, reliable commuter with adequate power

Plan A :
Sell the 220, buy a new bike.
Great Idea

Quote:
Plan B :
Sell the 220 , buy second hand bike (ahem, KTM) not more than 2 years old.
Good Idea

Quote:
Plan C :
Shower more TLC on the 220, spend time and money
Bad Idea, its past its prime and do this only if you are sentimentally attached to the bike per se.

Quote:
Plan D :
Get a scooter instead.
Only if you suddenly feel all over practical and ... grey hair mature and .... well old, after riding a 220 for years.

Quote:
Pulsar 200AS:
Great Choice - Seems Logical too.

Quote:
Pulsar 200NS:
Proven VFM and much refined than the 220

Quote:
KTM Duke 200:
Big YES after riding the 220 (would also be an upgrade with tonnes of fun)

Quote:
KTM Duke 390:
errr.. Good bike but much of the power will be wasted if this is used only as a commuter, but for weekend long rides undoubtedly better choice.

Quote:
CBR250R:
Again Big Yes, if you can adjust to the sporty position then this is the bike for you.

Quote:
Gixxer:
Nope (not after the 220)

Quote:
R15:
Nope (not after the 220)

Quote:
FZ/Fazer v2:
Big Nope (not after the 220)

Quote:
Avenger 220
Bad choice for a commuter, although a great bike. The handling is really tedious for city ride.

All the above comments are my personal opinions, many might disagree, but that said Pulsar 200 AS or NS makes the best choice for you and CBR 250 would be the hearts decision according to me.

Lastly, do test ride all these vehicles and you will get your answer yourself. The bell would ring automatically once you personally try them.

Cheers !!
The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 19:06   #132
Senior - BHPian

Ricci,

First try out the steps given by Praful and see if the bike becomes fine. The fuel injected pulsar has one of the smoothest power delivery.

If it does not sort the issue, then CBR 250 with ABS is your best bet .
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 19:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Ricci,

First try out the steps given by Praful and see if the bike becomes fine. The fuel injected pulsar has one of the smoothest power delivery.

I too feel a CBR 250R ABS is the best bet. Hondas are known to hold their value, and their engines are built to last. Plus you have an internationally proven, comfortable sports tourer whose service will not break the bank ! Our own resident expert on the bike , aargee, has put together an excellent FAQ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...questions.html (Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions) on the bike . It'll help you make up up your mind.

Going by the classifieds in OLX/Quikr, decent used ones can be had for up to 90-120K or thereabouts I guess.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 16th May 2015 at 19:40.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 23:00   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
To fix the slow speed shut down issue, you need to do a couple of things -

1. Replace fuel filter if not replaced recently
2. Check / Replace air filter
3. Check / Replace spark plugs
4. Open the throttle body and clean the butterfly
5. Get CO tuning + idle setting done

If the exhaust is making noise internally, especially around the bend near the exhaust manifold then you have the option to weld the internal bend pipe, but this wont hold for long and you will need to replace the exhaust again. 6500 was years ago, it was 9K last time I checked.
Thanks Prafulla. The ASC I got to doesn't have the FID tool. The only one that did (back some 3-4 years ago when I switched to the currect ASC) was rude and packed to offer good service.

You're right about the exhaust cost. I changed at 6.5k and that was the last piece they had of the old stock, the new stock was 8.5k. Plugs are good but will check them (iridium ones rarely go bad). Fuel pump was also changed late last year.

Fuel filter was replaced this year, air filter about 2+ years ago. So injector/throttle body is where the issue seems to be. Trouble is finding an ASC with the FI diagnostic tool, that's not too busy to do a good job.

The exhaust rattle is fixed, after hearing the rattle a few times from different angles, I located the source to a missing bolt on the exhaust pipe heat shield under the engine. Fixed for 20!

Quote:
On a related note: I am looking at a all day long cruising bike, which can munch miles at a pretty 100-110kmph, with the ability of me able to sit in the saddle for about 3-5 hours at a stretch. Budget is up to 15 lacs on road.
Cheapest option : Ninja 650.
Next cheapest : Benelli 600GT
If you can wait : Versys 650
Expensive option : Tiger 800XRX.
More expensive : Versys 1000 , Suzuki Vstrom
One more yet to come : Benelli 1130 Amazonas Trek

Also - the Suzuki GSX-1000F, also just under your 15 lac limit.

Quote:
Sub 10,000 km used mint condition second hand Duke 200 in 80-85K. Put it another 10K odd in servicing, small part replacement/blinging and brand new tyres (the MRFs designed for the 390 would be great).
I'll hold on that option, until the bike choice is final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
All the above comments are my personal opinions, many might disagree, but that said Pulsar 200 AS or NS makes the best choice for you and CBR 250 would be the hearts decision according to me.
Yes, the 200AS is most apt replacement for the 220. Except that their just might be a 400AS in the pipeline not too far away. It's reported that the 400CS/SS will be launched around Diwali this year, maybe the AS will not much later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Ricci,
I agree, the CBR250R is a great all rounder, and until last year would be the #1 choice to upgrade. Then the RC390 was launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
I too feel a CBR 250R ABS is the best bet. Hondas are known to hold their value, and their engines are built to last. Plus you have an internationally proven, comfortable sports tourer whose service will not break the bank !
Not sure of resale value, but the Indian made CBRs did have issues early on, didn't they? And now it's probably going to be replaced by the updated 250/300, but Honda is tight-lipped about when.

PS: among the highest number of for sale ads, relative to sales volumes, have been CBR250s, Duke200s and Duke390s, as per my not-backed-by-recorded-figures observation.

I hope to get an AS400 , which I admit Bajaj has never shown at the Expo not spied yet, but seeing the 200AS and Bajaj's penchant for platform sharing, I think there will be an AS400 not far in the future. I guess it makes sense to wait out a few months.

Last edited by Ricci : 20th May 2015 at 23:29.
Ricci is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 12:02   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll hold on that option, until the bike choice is final.
Cool. Just remember the Duke is a better bike, bike for bike, than the Pulsar. If you have a pre-used hangup, then the discussion ends here. But your reasoning that I "only" want a commuter and don't want to race does not gel with me. Because which biker will turn his back on a better specced, better equipped, quicker, faster, better braking, better tyred, better handling (way, way), better sprung, better chassied, better fueled, better cooled, better geared, better seated bike just because:

1) It does not have projectors

2) It does not have a big tank

3) It does not have a 3/4 fairing with a faux "adventure" upright screen

Am I persistent or what?
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote