Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 13th August 2014, 14:22   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Most Fun-to-Ride Bike under 2 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Where in Banaswadi is this showroom? Is it sales and service?

It is not listed on KTM India website.
Actually, there's a blip in the KTM website, when you zoom in to the Map locating the KTM showrooms, though the address says Indiranagar, it is showing the one in Banaswadi. Check it out.

The showroom is located near Bank of Maharastra , and the service center is on the service road at Horamavu junction , basically there is a Bajaj service center and in the basement they have started KTM service. It seems it has a customer lounge and the customers can view the servicing from the other side of the glass similar to the Toyota service centers - the sales representative claimed this! yet to check myself.
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 15:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Hey Expert,
I have also been in a similar dilemma of which bike next after using Hero Honda Karizma for the last 8 years.
Are there any problems with changing the handle bar? And did you also do the same for your bike?
Good choice Bro! Congratz.

On the PDI front, make sure all liquid levels are correct, battery terminals are tightened properly and the cover over terminal is placed properly, the grab handles are not loose, and do a general check to spot any loose \ dangling wires \ connectors.

Make sure you make them set the limits for Rev1 and Rev2 (if you plan to follow the run - in period) and check the rear shock absorber spring tension level. Do ask them to show

After the delivery, go to the nearst pump and fill up petrol and check air pressure in both tyres.

About Knuckle guards, you do not need to change handle. You can buy the 390 knuckle guards and can fix them using end weights from TVS Apache (costs about 450 for the end weights with rubber bush). Details are here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3452012 (The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200)

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2014, 19:07   #48
BHPian

Hey theexperthand,

I'm also in exactly the same dilemma as you were. I need a fun-to-ride bike on this side of 2 lakhs and I'm torn between 200 and the 390.
My riding would also be within the city majorly but for longer durations (~60kms). Having sold the CBR250R recently due to back-ache issues, I'm looking at something
which has an upright riding posture, decent power, light weight, etc., everything that a Duke is. However, owing to that fact that I can afford a Duke 390, I'm inclined towards it but not really sure if it'll be suitable for within city riding in bumper to bumper traffic and for longer durations.
Can you please elaborate on the reasons why exactly you went for the Duke 200 than the 390?

P.S - Haven't test-ridden either of the two, will do so soon.
VWikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 12:10   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWikram View Post
I'm also in exactly the same dilemma as you were. I need a fun-to-ride bike on this side of 2 lakhs and I'm torn between 200 and the 390.
My riding would also be within the city majorly but for longer durations (~60kms).

If it is primarily going to be city ride, I would definitely suggest 200. 390 would be of no use in bumper to bumper traffic and your legs would be cooked with the heat If you are not touring and have open roads, you would be doing an injustice to 390!
Mafioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 12:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Pickup a good used Hero Impulse and transplant the Karizma engine, you can even change the front forks to BMWF650 ones(old new stock available in Delhi market), perfect combination and within your budget and you'll fun to build your own bike.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 12:25   #51
BHPian

Thanks Expert.

I do like to follow the run-in period (1000km?), so what do these rev1 & rev2 limits do?

Regarding the rear shock absorber, from your thread I notice that you were keen on setting it to 5 - How does this help? Softer ride?
Mafioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2014, 14:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWikram View Post
Hey theexperthand,

I was also in the same boat - could afford 390 and was blown out by the pick up after a TD - but then I realized that most of my ride will be in city and I will get hardly any space where I can touch 3 digit speeds. So, the additional pick up will not be usable for me on 90% of time. In chock a block traffic, the heat from the engine is not easy to handle - 390 heats up a lot more than 200, so this was also a plus point for 200. Even though the price difference is not much, 200 gives better mileage and have less cost associated with tyre wear and tear. So, in short, if your primary target is not munching miles on open road, but riding in traffic, you will be doing an injustice to 390.

In a nutshell:

-cant really use the extra power of 390
-More heat of 390
-Increased running costs (mileage, tyre costs)
-Stories of rim cracking on 390 due to the softer metzeler tyres (I love taking my bike off the road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Pickup a good used Hero Impulse and transplant the Karizma engine, you can even change the front forks to BMWF650 ones(old new stock available in Delhi market), perfect combination and within your budget and you'll fun to build your own bike.
Dont even get me started with Impulse, Bro. This whole confusion stemmed from teh fact that I could not find a new Impulse to buy. If Hero was making Impulse still, i would have got one, with eyes closed.

Quote:
Thanks Expert.

I do like to follow the run-in period (1000km?), so what do these rev1 & rev2 limits do?

Regarding the rear shock absorber, from your thread I notice that you were keen on setting it to 5 - How does this help? Softer ride?
Rev 1 to 5K and Rev2 to 7K is what I think it is set to, in my bike.
Setting 5 is more on the firm side - I did this because 70% the time, I will have a pillion with me. Setting 2 is more on the softer side.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 14th August 2014 at 14:44.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 14:29   #53
BHPian

Finally I got the dream bike! Been a long time wait. Boy oh boy! It is amazing to ride her around and the power is insane, though I have a Karizma, this experience on Duke 200 is mind blowing. Just can't resist riding her around even though the registration number hasn't arrived

Thanks Expert for all your suggestions, been really helpful!
Attached Thumbnails
Most Fun-to-Ride Bike under 2 lakh-duke-200.jpg  

Last edited by Mafioso : 21st August 2014 at 14:30. Reason: forgot to add
Mafioso is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2014, 16:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally I got the dream bike! Been a long time wait. Boy oh boy! It is amazing to ride her around and the power is insane, though I have a Karizma, this experience on Duke 200 is mind blowing. Just can't resist riding her around even though the registration number hasn't arrived

Thanks Expert for all your suggestions, been really helpful!
Congratz Bro - do start an ownership thread.
The bikes like Zma, Unicorn etc are on a different level - no other sub 250 4 strokers in India can match Duke twins for its hooliganistic character. I am really enjoying my bike, coming from Unicorn and Bullets.

--Anoop
Old 22nd August 2014, 23:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Finally I got the dream bike!
Congrats Mafioso. Enjoy her to the fullest.

@theexperthand - Went ahead and booked a Black Duke 200. As I said earlier, I was inclined on getting a 390 but your thread and our BHPian friends helped me take the right decision. Looking at your experience, I didn't dare test ride the 390 to avoid the "impulsive buy" syndrome I get into some times. Can't wait for my Black beauty, will be arriving this Monday most probably.
VWikram is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 13:04   #56
BHPian

Default Rich Guy's Passion Pro

Hi Everyone,

I currently own a Pulsar 150 (2006 Model). The bike is 70K KM down and it still look good for another 20K atleast. However, since past season, I am able to see chinks in the Armour and so, want to change it.

Issues:
Though, the bike rides pretty well for its age, offers a reasonable pickup and gives around 63KMPL in Gurgaon without pillion rider by Reserve to Reserve Method, there are a few issues.
1) During winter months, I am expecting starting issues to resurface. The bike takes its time to get going. Can be fixed with higher idle RPM/new choke (old one is broken). But, I hate smell of half burnt fuel.
2) Bike behaves okay till 5K-5.5 RPM. I ride it mostly in the range. But on higher RPM, bike behaves like an old fat policeman running.
3) Suspension does not feel so good anymore and rides are tiring due to this and vibrations.
4) Bike is no longer good for long trips.

So, I want to get a new one. The requirements ( not necessarily in the order):
1) Nimble in city traffic.
2) Good mileage (around 50 though 40ish will do)
3) 13-15 ps good enough for me
4) Relatively comfortable ride
5) Should be able to handle 140-150 KG weight.
6) Safe: I have had two falls since 2011 and two near falls. At all times, the bike fell/got dis-balanced due to skidding under emergency maneuvers. ABS is required.

All in all, I am looking for a mutation of Passion Pro with maybe liquid cooled engine. Duke 125 is more apt for my requirement.

Options:
1) Duke 125 with ABS not available in India.
2) Apache RTR 180 with ABS looked good for many things but call to Gurgaon Dealer says it is discontinued because of issues with ABS itself.
3) CBR250R not considered as I don't like the looks. Very rude from me as I have never ridden it.

Should I keep waiting for Pulsar 200 SS or 400 CS?
I am tempted towards Inazuma also as I am not Sports Bike Type. It'll be good for 100-150 KM rides which I occasionally do. Wafer thin after sales is scary though!!
atnyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 14:05   #57
BHPian

http://www.cartrade.com/car-bike-new...ke-125810.html

Royal Enfield has been using a very efficient 350cc engine for the previous models like in Thunderbird 350 and Electra. But now, they are thinking of developing a new and technologically advanced, 385cc engine and are planning to install it in this adventure bike! Rumours say that this adventure variant of the company could be launched anytime in 2015.

This hopefully sounds like a good fun to ride motorcycle if actually produced
rahul4321 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 14:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rich Guy's Passion Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
So, I want to get a new one. The requirements ( not necessarily in the order):
6) Safe: I have had two falls since 2011 and two near falls. At all times, the bike fell/got dis-balanced due to skidding under emergency maneuvers. ABS is required.
13-15 PS for city rides is good but if you are planning to take it to the highways too, you will feel the need for an upgrade very quickly. Out of the current lot of bikes available, why not look at the Pulsar 200 NS. It does not have a fairing, very nimble and good to ride in city, stable at 3 digit speeds on the highway, can handle the weight you have mentioned in your requirement & it is safe with disc brakes on both ends. The balance issue due to which you fell on the pulsar is due to the front end weight bias of the Pulsars which are designed that way. The 200NS has better weight distribution and should be better ride all over.

If you are stuck on the 13-15 PS number, you have lot of options in the Bajaj stable itself starting with Pulsar 135LS which is a light, nimble city bike which can occasionally tour as well, Discover 150F which comes with a half fairing meant for touring as advertised etc. The RTR while is a good bike is not comfortable for extended runs in the city with thick traffic due to its seating position. Your neck/shoulders/wrists would start aching after a 35-45mins ride in stop and go traffic. Think about this as well when you are short listing the bike.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 14:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
Hi Everyone,

1) Duke 125 with ABS not available in India.
2) Apache RTR 180 with ABS looked good for many things but call to Gurgaon Dealer says it is discontinued because of issues with ABS itself.
3) CBR250R not considered as I don't like the looks. Very rude from me as I have never ridden it.

Should I keep waiting for Pulsar 200 SS or 400 CS?
I am tempted towards Inazuma also as I am not Sports Bike Type. It'll be good for 100-150 KM rides which I occasionally do. Wafer thin after sales is scary though!!
I am not sure we have any bikes available which ticks all the requirements -if you discount the ABS, you can take a look at the CB Trigger \ Suziki Gixxer \ Yamaha FZ V2.0 (though mileage might be lesser than other 150 CC bikes) \ Discover 150 or even at Pulsar 200 NS.

Inazuma, though will be ideal for touring, will not return an average of 40 - 50 kmpl.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 28th October 2014 at 14:31.
Old 4th November 2014, 14:33   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Out of the current lot of bikes available, why not look at the Pulsar 200 NS. It does not have a fairing, very nimble and good to ride in city, stable at 3 digit speeds on the highway, can handle the weight you have mentioned in your requirement & it is safe with disc brakes on both ends.
Thanks for suggestion. I checked out a used 200 NS (Just 3K KM down). It was not so good in city driving but felt heavenly on an open road. Brakes looked good to me and I was able to handle it. Following are the observations:
For:
1) Pulsars, ASS are known quantities to me as already riding them for last 8 years.
2) Top Gear. It blew my mind. The 90s advert of Splendour is the closest thing to what I felt. It was like I was riding in clouds.
3) VFM propositions.

Against:
1) Vibrations. Almost mad. My 2006 Pulsar is way way smoother at low speeds. 200 NS gets into mood after 5000 RPM only.Could these vibrations be due to improper run in by first owner? I rode pillion for a while and realized out in two minutes that guy was a noob like I was two years back.
2) Seats not comfortable. I felt much better while riding my bike after it. ( only to realize how bad it is after 5K RPM ).
3) Riding pillion is a bad idea. I got a proper hand massage within 7 minutes of riding pillion to owner.

Considerations:
1) If I purchase a new bike and do a proper run in, should I expect as many vibrations?
2) If pillion ride remains uncomfortable, should I simply buy 150 CC gixxer as longish trips will be done by car only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
if you discount the ABS, you can take a look at the CB Trigger \ Suziki Gixxer \ Yamaha FZ V2.0 (though mileage might be lesser than other 150 CC bikes) \ Discover 150 or even at Pulsar 200 NS.

Inazuma, though will be ideal for touring, will not return an average of 40 - 50 kmpl.

--Anoop
Thanks Anoop. If I go on to buy Inazuma, 30ish will do. CB Trigger is not on. No test rides even.

Anything below 150cc except for hypothetical free rev Duke (which is 13-14 PS) should not be on for me as I am 6'1 and weigh 85 and my spouse is 5'8 and weigh 65.

TBTD 350/ Avenger 220?
atnyia is offline   Reply With Quote