Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th June 2014, 19:45   #31
BHPian

Default Re: KTM recalling 390s (pre-March 2014) for Free front sprocket change

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Call me a cynic if you like, but I have an unpleasant question to ask of all those who are trying to describe this as a normal product lifecycle occurrence:

Suppose you owned this bike (I know for instance @sandeepmohan does) or suppose a near and dear one owned this bike. And god forbid, this 'normal ' occurrence caused you to lose that near and dear one, or caused you to lose a limb or two.

Would that produce a change in your perspective?

Hats off and respect to those who answer 'no'.

OTOH, if you answer 'yes', may I ask why.

I believe most of my comments can be applied to many automakers of today. I've nothing personal against KTM nor do I have any pet brands to whose mistakes I will turn a blind eye.
Sandeep is my dearest friend and anything happening to him would hurt me deeply. However, would I stop riding my 390 because of it?

No.

You get what you pay for. If you want impeccable engineering, purchase one of those crazy expensive BMWs. Between the two of us, we have covered 15,000km on our Dukes and nothing has happened. No bent alloys, no slipped chains or anything of that sort. Is it OK for the sprocket to have an issue? No. I appreciate that KTM have asked for the recall for what they see is a potential issue. Doesn't mean every 390 rider pre-March is going to face this issue.
Bluu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 20:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluu View Post
You get what you pay for. If you want impeccable engineering, purchase one of those crazy expensive BMWs.
Do you think the beemers are invincible. I don't think so. In the recently concluded MTM in bangalore, there were 2 instances where the beemers would not start. And one of those left the camp on a flatbed. Now that is for some serious thinking for giving a heck of money.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2014, 22:56   #33
BHPian

IMO, R & D is a continuous improvement process. Every Manufacturer goes through it & instead of criticizing them, we should appreciate that they have found something odd & are busy ensuring that it;s well taken care of & are busy improving their product. in a country like ours, it takes lots of courage to invest in R & D

While Developed world is used to such recalls, in india we all know how strong legal framework we have. There are instance where it was proved that a person died due to Manufacturing defect but there is no legal binding on them to make them pay. As they say, Life is cheap in India.

As such i think we are over reacting. Nobody is epitome of reliability here including Japanese. it;s just that they are more reliable than rest of the herd but still they too fail prematurely once in a while. At Least KTM has accepted the fault & are ensuring that it's corrected before somebody gets hurt.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 10:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Do you think the beemers are invincible. I don't think so. In the recently concluded MTM in bangalore, there were 2 instances where the beemers would not start. And one of those left the camp on a flatbed. Now that is for some serious thinking for giving a heck of money.
This discussion is going nowhere.

I didn't say the BMWs are invincible but they will be better than the KTM 390. No system is perfect. There is will always be flaws in a product.
Bluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2014, 12:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Would that produce a change in your perspective?
Yes it will, for sure. I won't touch a KTM ever.

In line with the above, I also have to say, you can never buy anything. Heck; I won't touch a product even from a company like Toyota. What do we do then?

I understand your view. At the same time, you are gonna miss a really awesome motorcycle brand. The motorcycle community has never had it this good.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote