Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 27th November 2015, 11:13   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Our Matt Black Vespa S 125: Pricey, but exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks. Although a bit expensive, but definitely cheaper than getting a new Vespa.
I spoke with the service executive today. He told that is is possible.
He told that many pasts should be changed.
He specifically told 'the rear wheel shaft' (exact words he used) also needs to be changed.
He estimated that the cost will easily go above 15,000 including wheels and alloys.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 13:04   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I spoke with the service executive today. He told that is is possible.
Thank you sir for this information! Now that it's possible, my next planned upgrade will be the lovely alloys. When I don't know, but one day definitely.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 22:04   #108
BHPian

Does the Headlamp run off the battery? The specifications says 3 phase. Is it AC or DC. How much mileage are you getting in city. Planning to buy Vespa 150 by March.
Sarvodaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 19:16   #109
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the new 150cc variants at a nearby outlet. All 125cc variants except the VX variant (Round headlamps, front disc brakes) have been discontinued, so the choices now are VXL125, VXL150 & SXL150.

On-road in Bangalore is 96,xxx, 106,xxx and 111,xxx respectively (~2k extra for a special Matt Red shade exclusive to SXL150 variant).

No discounts or freebies, and the much-debated 'handling charges' make an appearance, to the tune of ~6k+ for the top variants. The actual costs are 60 (registration) + 200 (Smartcard RC) + 400 (generous approximation for stickers, dealer says Vespa gives them number plates with the scooters).

Even assuming 100% 'RTO charges' plus 100% 'dealer expenses' on top of that, it still barely adds up to 2.5k, less than half the quoted sum. Daylight robbery!

I'm awaiting an offer from the sales guy, who said he'll get back with whatever best he can offer me to close the deal.

I was given two brand new unregistered scooters (one of each engine type) for test rides (non-functional odometers on both), and got no convincing answers when I asked them if these are customer scooters awaiting delivery or just new stock being used as demo vehicles, which is bad practice in either case.

I went to Vespa for the sole reason that other 'commuter' scooter dealers were indulging in shady practices and I was willing to pay more for a premium product and experience, I guess it's all-pervasive and the premium ones are as much in it as everyone else.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th December 2015 at 19:18.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 08:51   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Does the Headlamp run off the battery? The specifications says 3 phase. Is it AC or DC.
The headlights are powered by the battery. You can turn them on even with the ignition is off; just like a car
Quote:
How much mileage are you getting in city. Planning to buy Vespa 150 by March.
We have been getting a constant 40Kmpl on the S125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I went to Vespa for the sole reason that other 'commuter' scooter dealers were indulging in shady practices and I was willing to pay more for a premium product and experience, I guess it's all-pervasive and the premium ones are as much in it as everyone else.
The product may be premium, the showroom may be styled to suit the vehicle too, but the people selling those are no different sir.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 19:26   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The product may be premium, the showroom may be styled to suit the vehicle too, but the people selling those are no different sir.
Unfortunately true.

I made another visit to get some more details today, as the sales exec conveniently 'forgot' he'd promised to call me with further details and a final quote. Had to click pictures of spec sheets by borrowing owner manuals of vehicles pending delivery as the showroom doesn't have any tech spec sheets, the brochures don't have much detail either. The BSK 3rd Stage showroom doesn't have a photocopier either, apparently. Oh well.

When I was making notes of available color options for each model to make our decision, I was surprised to find the test drive scooter from yesterday marked sold. When questioned further, the sales exec sheepishly admitted that the Matt Black SXL150 I test rode yesterday was actually pending registration prior to customer delivery. This after I clearly asked the question when offered the scooter yesterday. Totally uncool

Another concern is the new wheels/tires. Vespa have switched to a staggered setup, 110/70-11 at the front and 120/70-10 at the back, both sporting Made in Vietnam Maxxis tires, and neither size seems available in India with any brand. Vespa is quoting 3.5-4k+ per tire and the spares department says availability is unknown for the next couple of months as this setup is newly launched on both 125cc & 150cc models. Maxxis is apparently setting up local manufacturing, but Google says that will take until at least 2017.

The purchase decision suddenly doesn't seem so straightforward anymore.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th December 2015 at 19:40.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 11:01   #112

this made up a good read. Thank you guys.

I recently brought a 150 VX, bottle green color. I have to admit, I am seriously happy with the performance, handling, braking and design. Esp. after years riding a standard Bullet.
I plan to stick orange stripes on the side.

The only thing I miss is a sort of a hook, below the handle. They have given a plastic one just below the tip of the seat in the front. But its not adequate.

Also, any pointers to after market accessories will be helpful.
rahuldongre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 20:08   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahuldongre View Post
this made up a good read. Thank you guys.

I recently brought a 150 VX, bottle green color. I have to admit, I am seriously happy with the performance, handling, braking and design. Esp. after years riding a standard Bullet.
I plan to stick orange stripes on the side.

The only thing I miss is a sort of a hook, below the handle. They have given a plastic one just below the tip of the seat in the front. But its not adequate.

Also, any pointers to after market accessories will be helpful.
I'm not able to visualize orange on bottle green. Post a few pictures once you get it done

The under seat hook is only on VX because it has a closed storage at the front.
The S has a hook at the front but not below the seat.
We had actually thought of putting the VX seat on the S which is very easy.
But the seat of the S better looking and more comfortable. So we decided against it.
You cannot put the hook of the S in your VX, because the lid of the storage takes up that place and that itself is not strong enough to hold the hook

Frankly speaking I've not tried to look for after-market accessories.
You never know, JC road in Bangalore might have something hidden inside.
Old 15th March 2016, 12:31   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Last Monday (7th February), My wife received a call form the Vespa dealer that the vehicle was due for its 8th Service.
They even told her that if not serviced on 7th march (Exactly 3 months from the previous service), the warranty will expire.
We had seen this previously with our Vespa and another friend's vehicle.
They do not give any time frame for services; which is impractical, illogical and greedy approach by the dealer to skip free services and make money.
My wife told that the date of sale of the vehicle was on the 16th of a month and since she uses during the day, she can only give it on a Saturday.
She confirmed to them that the vehicle would be given for service on the 12th of March 2016.
They simply noted it down.

On Saturday, we went there as usual at around 9AM and dropped off the vehicle. Apart from a starting problem, there were no major problems with the vehicle.
The ODO was at 13200Kms. Now that all the free services were finished, they had given an estimate of 1200 Rs
As usual the job card creation took 15 minutes and delivery was promised by 4PM.

And like the previous experiences, we got a call at 4PM that the vehicle was ready.
We were not at home and hence we could reach the dealership only by 5:30PM

They had replaced the spark plug and air filter.
The final cost was 1500/-
The starting problem seems to be solved. My wife was happy with the ride quality.

I'm maintaining a log file for this vehicle. Today, when I was updating that, I was in for a shock!
The spark plug, and air filter was replaced last time too and its less than 3000 Kms since then.

I do not know if this is the same with others, but I feel we were looted.
Can other owners give me some information?
I plan to take it up with the dealership today.

Here is the service history of the vehicle

Our Matt Black Vespa S 125: Pricey, but exclusive-tbhp.jpg

While this is the case with the Black Vespa S. My Sisters White Vespa VX125 has hardly run.
It was purchased in July 2015 and till now It has run for 1200Kms only, of which I might have used it for 1000+ Kms myself just to make sure it runs some miles!
Old 30th March 2016, 11:31   #115
BHPian

Hi Hemanth sir,

Your ownership report is a lovely read!

I happen to bump into the thread while searching for Vespa ownership reports yesterday and got hooked onto this.

The machine is absolutely stunning and the love it is getting from you will surely make it last the distance.

I have bought a used Activa a year back for going to college and city run-about. Now, I am moving out of Chennai city and have decided to part ways with my good oldie Activa. Now, I am contemplating a new automatic scooter ( If am able to convince my parents to let me buy one).

Initially, Vespa ( though always a looker), was not on my radar, due to the steep initial cost and thin tires it came with (Rode a friends Vespa for a short distance and felt little too high from the ground; May be my Activa experience is the culprit here).

After reading your experience with the machine, the poison is again spreading. Only aspect that worries me is the adamant attitude of the service personnel and the service costs. That teflon coating, spark plugs change and the likes are totally uncalled for.

Your thoughts on the above concerns will surely guide me!
Gran_Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2016, 15:02   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
Hi Hemanth sir,

Your ownership report is a lovely read!
Thank you

Quote:
Initially, Vespa ( though always a looker), was not on my radar, due to the steep initial cost and thin tires it came with (Rode a friends Vespa for a short distance and felt little too high from the ground; May be my Activa experience is the culprit here).
It is actually the scooter with the highest seat height. So what you felt was absolutely correct.
However the good seat design makes it good for even short people to ride is comfortably.

Quote:
Only aspect that worries me is the adamant attitude of the service personnel and the service costs. That teflon coating, spark plugs change and the likes are totally uncalled for.
Yes, the service guys do try to market many things and push you to put many unnecessary things and sometimes it irritates you.
But if you don't budge, there's nothing to worry.
Its very similar to Shell fuel stations where they pester you to fill high performance fuel in your vehicle.
However, the level of work carried out is very satisfactory.

In case of a Vespa, it is clear that the brand image demands some money; the vehicle should ideally cost ~10K less.
But in the end, its still worth it.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 14:47   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Our Black Vespa has now crossed 15000Kms (in about 22months)
Last week there was a minor incident. My wife was returning from office and at a signal had stopped at a red signal.
A cab (Indicab) came and hit her vehicle from behind. My wife fell down fro the vehicle.

The driver came out and apologised and It seems he pressed the accelerator instead of the brakes (I wonder how)
It was a main junction and a police constable came and helped in lifting the vehicle and also warned the driver to drive carefully.
The vehicle had got no scratches and with no visible damages whatsoever. The all round guard was slightly bent.
My wife told me that the scooter didn't start after that, but the Police and the cabbie tried for some 15 minutes to kick start and finally succeeded.
Because the damage was almost invisible, the cab driver was let go it seems.

My wife had got a small muscle pull which vanished the next day after a quick spray of moov
After I heard this, I didn't see the vehicle thinking nothing big had happened

However, yesterday, I saw something strange - the vehicle was slightly bent.
The rear wheel was not exactly at the centre.
We were on leave yesterday and had some spare time in the afternoon. So we took it to the service station.

Initially the mechanic thought its just the bent all-round guard that was giving us the illusion.
He pulled it a few time but it couldn't be corrected.
He told me that the swing arm might be bent and he'll need a couple of hours to repair it.

Also the mirrors were loose. with 2 nuts that turn in separate directions and only one spanner at home, I couldn't tighten it.
We asked him to correct that also and check for the starting problem too.
So we left it at 1:30 PM and came out.. An estimate of 2000 was given.

At 5:30PM he called and told us that it was ready. When we went there. he showed us the vehicle.
The all-round guard was back to its normal shape and the wheel was perfectly aligned,
The rear shock absorber was replaced. The total bill was Rs 1750/-

Name:  ShockabsorberrearPIAGGIOVespaS125.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  34.0 KB
The shock absorber

Our Matt Black Vespa S 125: Pricey, but exclusive-vespasrearsuspension.jpg
The location of the shock absorber

Note: the images are for reference only. Source: Internet search

Also My wife was complaining a lot about the poor stock headlamp. Last week I had ordered one Osram night racer plus for replacement.

Name:  Bulb cover.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  45.9 KB
Osram Night Racer Plus HS1 12V 35/35W

Name:  Bulb.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  18.4 KB
Th bulb-bright yellow colour light

Note: the images are sourced from the online seller from whom I purchased the bulb

I couldn't replace because it involved removing the mirrors along with the front handle body.

When we went to take back the vehicle, We took it and a mechanic fixed it for us.

first the visor , then the mirror and then front handle cover has to be removed.
Too complicated a procedure for a headlamp replacement I felt.
It took the experienced mechanic 25 minutes to replace it!

By this time, was already dark and when we started back home, my wife could test the lamps. She was happy with the light now.
Even for me there was a visible change in the light even though all the ratings are same
Old 16th August 2016, 13:49   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally my plan of a Longish trip on the Vespa materialised during the last "3-day-weekend"
I wanted to take the Matte Black S125 but I took my sister's White Vx125 because of:
1. It had hardly run(1600 in 1 year)
2. it matches to my car aesthetically which is good for photos)

So we successfully completed a 800Kms ride on the Vespa and it was satisfying. Although it was surprising and shocking to many others

I'll write a separate travelogue on it in the coming days, but attached are a couple of teaser Pictures

Our Matt Black Vespa S 125: Pricey, but exclusive-20160815_09490201.jpeg

Our Matt Black Vespa S 125: Pricey, but exclusive-img_20160813_14022201.jpeg
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 10:37   #119
BHPian

Vespas are great for long drives and quite comfortable as well. The only fly in the ointment is the super soft suspension that makes the ride bumpy like the older Hyundais at higher speeds if the roads aren't perfect. The new Aprilla SR 150 seems to have a firm suspension and should handle better as well.
BTW how many kms did you travel on the weekend ? The road looks pristine.

Last edited by Waspune : 21st August 2016 at 10:40.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 15:28   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
BTW how many kms did you travel on the weekend ? The road looks pristine.
It was 800+ Kms on the Vespa. Still less than your 1200+ Kms
Yes the roads were good throughout.
I'm writing my travelogue and you can expect it very soon on TBHP