Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 18th July 2006, 13:32   #1

Default gas shocks for f2??

Off late people who travel in my bike as a pillion have complained abt bump rides and poor ride quality....

my bike is 2.5yrs old and has done 30k kms... so was thinking whether to go in for gas shocks... what do u guys recomend? how much will they cost? which ones to get - victor's or apache's or Pulsar's??? will there be any modifications reqd in the bike? any specific brand to get??

any info will be helpful guys....
itsmevivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 16:09   #2

i think bumpy ride could be due to 2 things, one the suspension aging and the other as u mentioned due to the air pressure... most of the times the guy in the petrol bunk would keep 35... but i kind of feel the bumpy ride when i maintain the air pressure at 32psi....

The road that i drove to office was real bad for past 8-9 months that might be also the reason.... but i defineltely want to improve the ride quality...

any f2 owners who have fitted gas shocks give feedback...
Old 18th July 2006, 19:16   #3
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

Dont be in a hurry to get your suspension changed. As pointed out before, it could be some other factor. If you do want to switch to gas shocks, it will require some minor modification, but nothing much. a good mechanic can point out which one's shocks, of the 3 bikes, would be suitable, after taking adequate measurements. People on Pillion will definetely have a much smoother ride.
ranjan united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 21:10   #4
BHPian

The suspension problem is basically because the F2 has a really soft rear set up even at it's tightest preload setting. That was my main concern when the Apache came out too but apparently that has been sorted out.

I am not sure, but even the Apache (like the Pulsar) has 17" rims, while an F2 has 18" ones. In that case you might have to change even the swing arm and make a lot of other adjustments.

It's better if you go in for normal GABRIELLE shocks, since they cost a lot lesser than TVS ones (900 bucks here in Mumbai), and also are a lot sturdier than the TVS ones.

Tyre pressure ideally should be at 28 psi up front and 32 psi at the rear...

Cheers...the F2 still rocks!
turbo_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 14:52   #5

^^Apache has 18 inch wheels... so as victor... if that is the case i can use apache or victors right???

also currently the rear shocks are set at 3(middle)... will changing the current setting improve the ride qual?
Old 20th July 2006, 20:44   #6
BHPian

Yes you are right, the Apache and Vctor have 18 inchers and hence their shocks would be fine.

The F2, as stated before has really soft shocks and hence I don't think changing the settings would make much of a difference.

Vivek, go in for sturdier and harder shocks which will increase the pressure on the front forks and like wise better handling and ride quality. Also, since the ergonomics of the bike are really good, the pillion will always be comfortable on an F2 ntil the rear bottoms out.
Old 21st July 2006, 06:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_v12
Yes you are right, the Apache and Vctor have 18 inchers and hence their shocks would be fine.
Apache has an 17 front and 18 rear.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 11:48   #8
BHPian

let me know if you need gas shocks for f2, the recent f2 didi come with gas shocks from TVS itself, it is OE , it was done for the same reasons you are complaining about
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2006, 21:34   #9
BHPian

GABRIELLE shocks,

hey tubo_v12 can this be fitted on to a fiero??
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 09:37   #10
BHPian

@ chetan, why not...but I am talking abt the standard coil spring and strut ones...not gas shocks.
Old 23rd July 2006, 11:57   #11
BHPian

Default IT fits like a dream....

There is absolutely no problem in fitting gas shock absorbers on a f2..i had one and fixed teh gas shox on it...its a direct fit and looks cooler than it looks on pulsars cause u can just c the gas cans and not teh whole shock absorber.the original oned were sooper hard on teh contrary because of which my rear l&r cowls broke.......go and get it...here's a pic of my ex bike..a lil blurry but chk the rear gas shox

Last edited by balenopower : 23rd July 2006 at 11:59.
balenopower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 18:32   #12

Thanks for all the advice guys... i have decided to go for gas shocks...

one question though.. is there any difference between the shocks in victor and apache??? if there were some differences then since f2 weigh ~ as apache will that shocks suit better?

one more question guys... were any of u able to arrest the vibration of f2 fairing??