Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 20th June 2014, 22:10   #1
BHPian

Default Yamaha Gladiator/SS125 - Inconsistent idling

I have a 2014 Yamaha SS125 that has done exactly 3091 km on the odometer. Although this is a great motorcycle for the city as well as moderately long rides, there has been a very annoying problem I have been facing since day 1 and that is inconsistent idling. To explain it, what happens is that when I stop at a red light the rev counter goes crazy and so does the engine sometimes it idles at 1k and sometimes at 5k and it keeps fluctuating.

I took it to the authorised service center and they tuned the carb and things were normal for a day or two and it started again. I mentioned this in the first free service and after the service things were satisfactory. Satisfactory because now the bike doesn't rev at the red lights, it just shuts off.

So thats the history of it. But now something even strange has happened. When I am cruising at lets say 60 kmph, there's a lot of misfire from the engine and if I let go of the throttle, it literally sound like mustard seeds in hot oil. And when I stop and park it after a long ride, I get a burnt smell from the engine. Could anyone give me some insights on what could possibly be wrong. The service center guys are hopeless and I can't blame because of the sheer number of motorcycles they got to deal with. I was suspecting a faulty or a burnt exhaust valve. Any thoughts?
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 23:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Yamaha Gladiator/SS125 - Inconsistent idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
I have a 2014 Yamaha SS125 that has done exactly 3091 km on the odometer. Although this is a great motorcycle for the city as well as moderately long rides, there has been a very annoying problem I have been facing since day 1 and that is inconsistent idling. To explain it, what happens is that when I stop at a red light the rev counter goes crazy and so does the engine sometimes it idles at 1k and sometimes at 5k and it keeps fluctuating.

I took it to the authorised service center and they tuned the carb and things were normal for a day or two and it started again. I mentioned this in the first free service and after the service things were satisfactory. Satisfactory because now the bike doesn't rev at the red lights, it just shuts off.

So thats the history of it. But now something even strange has happened. When I am cruising at lets say 60 kmph, there's a lot of misfire from the engine and if I let go of the throttle, it literally sound like mustard seeds in hot oil. And when I stop and park it after a long ride, I get a burnt smell from the engine. Could anyone give me some insights on what could possibly be wrong. The service center guys are hopeless and I can't blame because of the sheer number of motorcycles they got to deal with. I was suspecting a faulty or a burnt exhaust valve. Any thoughts?
Probably the engine is running lean which is causing the overheating? Take out your spark plug after a ride and check the tip. White means lean, brown means good and black means rich fuel mixture.

Also check if there are any leaks from the carburetor to the cylinder. By that I mean any loose hoses or something of the sort.

Engine just shutting off while idling, probably the idling RPM is too low or the slow jet in the carb is clogged.

Also, just check if the spring associated with the idling screw is intact. I had lost this spring once and the bike's RPM would fluctuate like Bangalore's weather.

This is purely from my experience. I could be wrong.

A piece of advice from my end, some may differ with it, but I sometimes feel Authorized Service Centers are not worth the dissatisfaction that comes with their services. I only used one of my services at the Service Center, then decided it wasn't worth my time nor the money. Switched to an independent, local mechanic who only does 2 vehicles in a day, never been happier since. Again, just a personal opinion.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Yamaha Gladiator/SS125 - Inconsistent idling

Quote:
o thats the history of it. But now something even strange has happened. When I am cruising at lets say 60 kmph, there's a lot of misfire from the engine
Few things to check
-Spark plug (Change it)
-Wiring
-Battery(May be dying)
-If you see white smoke check if the pistons are ok.
-Throttle cable
-water in carb.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 19:47   #4
BHPian

Sorry about the delayed response. And thank you all for your valuable inputs. I tried a little more probing today morning and here is what I have found.

1. I had the carburetor cleaned up by my trusty mechanic who made me a beast of an RX100 almost 10 years ago. He also spent a long time tuning it to perfection and the bike felt great for almost a week. But then, disaster! I started facing exactly the same thing what I have been since the beginning of time and I was completely frustrated just how badly made this thing is and it doesn't deserve anything that says Yamaha anywhere on it.

2. This morning I really though I need to do something for once and for all so got my trusty tool box and opened up the air filter. The cleaner element was soaked in engine oil!

3. Checked the engine oil level and it was low so, I topped it up with the same oil, thankfully I always keep a stock for top ups, just in case.

4. I knew that the carburetor should be squeaky clean so I didn't bother to check it as the bike now idles clean when cold.

5. Plucked out the spark plug and it looked like it went for a trip to the engine oil sump. It was completely soaked in oil. I have never seen a spark plug soaked in so much oil in a 4 stroke engine.

I got completely mad at it. Threw the thing back at my mechanic and I updated him about my findings. What he recons is that he would have to open up the cylinder head and check the valves as well as the piston rings. I am genuinely sad that something as new as this would have to go through all this. Where is the quality we all enjoyed so far, Yamaha?

I bought a Suzuki Lets and that has done almost 1500 km on the odometer and not once I had a chance to use the choke or had an issue with it. I will never buy an el-cheapo Yamaha ever!
Old 17th July 2014, 19:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Few things to check
-Spark plug (Change it)
-Wiring
-Battery(May be dying)
-If you see white smoke check if the pistons are ok.
-Throttle cable
-water in carb.
Checked all VW2010 except for the spark plug its all pass for the rest. :(
Old 17th July 2014, 19:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Checked all VW2010 except for the spark plug its all pass for the rest. :(
The spark plug is the main thing here after that do try and change the fuel station you fill in from.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 19:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The spark plug is the main thing here after that do try and change the fuel station you fill in from.

Anurag.
Hey Anurag, what I meant to say was the spark plug was checked and I found it was soaking wet with engine oil. May be the sign on something horribly wrong?
Old 17th July 2014, 19:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Anurag, what I meant to say was the spark plug was checked and I found it was soaking wet with engine oil. May be the sign on something horribly wrong?
AFAIK, the piston rings are worn out else how will the spark plug tip have engine oil around it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 20:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, the piston rings are worn out else how will the spark plug tip have engine oil around it.

Anurag.
Could be worse, if you rev it up there is no sign of white smoke. It with my mechanic now. God know what is wrong with it. I am suspecting may be it is a sticky, burnt or fried exhaust valve.
Old 17th July 2014, 20:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could be worse, if you rev it up there is no sign of white smoke. It with my mechanic now. God know what is wrong with it. I am suspecting may be it is a sticky, burnt or fried exhaust valve.
Then it could be a rich fuel mixture that is not getting burnt. Any black smoke on revving?

What is the FE you are getting now and before the problem started?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 20:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Then it could be a rich fuel mixture that is not getting burnt. Any black smoke on revving?

What is the FE you are getting now and before the problem started?

Anurag.
No black smoke too :( And the FE I think is somewhat decent. I don't have a figure of exactly how much it is.
Old 18th July 2014, 04:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Anurag.
I did face similar issue with my Pulsar 150 two years back. Took the bike to the mechanic and when he opened the spark plug to clean, he found engine oil deposits.

I have replaced piston rings and went for a complete engine bore. The bike now runs fine.
JoseVijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 06:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post

I did face similar issue with my Pulsar 150 two years back. Took the bike to the mechanic and when he opened the spark plug to clean, he found engine oil deposits.

I have replaced piston rings and went for a complete engine bore. The bike now runs fine.
Agree with you but the OP has no smoke (Neither white nor black) emitting out when riding around. Engine oil doesn't get burnt completely hence white smoke is seen but that is not happening in this case. Surprising.

But surely there is a need to check the piston rings and also the head gasket.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 20:40   #14
BHPian

Finally last week we found after ripping apart the entire bike. All thanks to my mechanic. He zeroed it down to a faulty CDI unit.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Finally last week we found after ripping apart the entire bike. All thanks to my mechanic. He zeroed it down to a faulty CDI unit.
Hello,

It will be a great help if somebody could provide me contact details of a good two wheeler mechanic from South Bangalore (JP Nagar/Kanakpura Road/ Jayanagar area) for my FZ 16. It is a 4 year old bike and Iam not looking for authorized centers.
Aravindpn is offline   Reply With Quote