Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Should Bikes have Front and Rear Brakes activated from either the foot or hand.
Yes ( Helps braking distance with even force distribution to front and rear wheels) 11 39.29%
No ( It will not work on motorcycles as in cars) 13 46.43%
Cant Say ( Cant reason out or dont have experience to give an opinion) 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th July 2006, 14:33   #16
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

the CBS is not a bad idea for city-commuter biking, where there is loads of traffic. other than tht, you'll just end up breaking a leg.
ranjan united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 14:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
.. using the front disc brake alone is a bit dangerous,
Never use front brake alone. Rear brake alone is still fine.

Quote:
..what u need to do is use front and rear brakes with some downshifting.
Yes - that's the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
..When you disk brake you front one ,keep the bike straight .Locking the wheel in an angle will obviosly make it skid.
Looking at this, integrated braking isnt the best way to brake - what if you have integrated braking, front brake gets applied and your front wheel isnt pointing straight ahead?

Last edited by condor : 19th July 2006 at 14:35.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 14:51   #18
BHPian

I have two situations wherein suddenly i notice something in my way.

that something is

1) A car which is stationary i noticed a bit late

2) A human who has suddenly come in the middle shouting 'AAAAAAA' and is stationary

How would you react in both situations

If it were me...for

1) I would try braking and maybe end up hitting the car or try to steer away. Here i feel that i would not press the brake so hard as i would do if there were a human obstacle

2) Would try not hitting the human by either trying to avoid him or panic brake hard.

I guess hitting the human and causing injury acts subconsciously and makes us brake harder. Just a thought.

Another thought came to my Mind.

We know that when braking most of the weight acts on the front side and hence disc brakes are more effectcive. Why not have a fatter tyre on the front which would increase road grip and prevent skidding.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 16:38   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Why not have a fatter tyre on the front which would increase road grip and prevent skidding.
Then HOW pray tell would the company sell it as an ECO BIKE to the MILEAGE HUNGRY HOARDS of India?
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 16:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Our Indian bikes are already underpowered, and putting a fat tyre will only make things worse. Handling will also be difficult. Getting a fatter tyre for the rear is a lil bit better. It'll help stability as well.

BTW, u can get a disc brake fitted to the rear as well if u need more stopping power but again u have to learn how to use it otherwise u'll end up locking both wheels
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 18:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Our Indian bikes are already underpowered, and putting a fat tyre will only make things worse. Handling will also be difficult. Getting a fatter tyre for the rear is a lil bit better. It'll help stability as well.

BTW, u can get a disc brake fitted to the rear as well if u need more stopping power but again u have to learn how to use it otherwise u'll end up locking both wheels
I guess i need fat tyres/ front and rear Discs with ABS.
Old 19th July 2006, 19:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You get those small kits to use on your disc brakes as ABS. Not sure if they are really effective. Best to avoid such devices. Use combined braking and exercise engine braking.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 19:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Some people recommend that we use both front and rear brakes simultaneously for even normal braking situations, so that we get used to the idea of the front brake and know how to operate it correctly.

So, when an emergency liek thsi comes up, we will thus not lose control so easily as we woudl have had we not usually used front brakes regularly.

Yes, and THEN there is the factor of engine braking.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 20:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get a quad bike, or better still a car
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 20:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Get a quad bike, or better still a car
Yea rite, the car is there i.e, Swift zxi which has all that i want the fat tyres + ABS+ braking system as i wish , but i dont take it to the office.
Old 19th July 2006, 20:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Upsizing one size more than stock at both and front is worth.
A mileage decrease of 2 -3 kmpl is worth X times of your life.

PS: i have michelin M45 4.0 *18 at rear and M62 3.0 * 18 in front and both are rated 180 kmph
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2006, 21:49   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Another factor is the forks. Soft forks make the bike bottom out on heavy braking.

Need an anti-dive feature like in the scoots.

As far as brakes, I vote for CBS on commuters. Problem is you need a prop valve like in SUVs to make it work perfectly for solo and pillion.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th July 2006 at 21:51.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 21:02   #28
BHPian

Ah dude...

Welcome to the club...the same thing happened to me earlier...only it was a car which decided to get in my way and expected me to swerve, which I couldn't since there was another vehicle beside me.
I locked up too and kissed the tarmac, and guess who was blamed? (Yes, since I was on a bike and apparently "should have taken care"...justice for all).

It has been rightly said that to avoid accidents in India, you do not need to be the most talented driver but the one with best reflexes mixed with a lot of stupidity.

Distributing the braking evenly on a bike will only make you lose control. Brakes are always supposed to be 60%-40% front-rear.

Things like this will keep happening to us bikers...so just push it out of your mind...you have no choice (apart from not riding a bike).
turbo_v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 22:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_v12
Ah dude...

Welcome to the club...the same thing happened to me earlier...only it was a car which decided to get in my way and expected me to swerve, which I couldn't since there was another vehicle beside me.
I locked up too and kissed the tarmac, and guess who was blamed? (Yes, since I was on a bike and apparently "should have taken care"...justice for all).

It has been rightly said that to avoid accidents in India, you do not need to be the most talented driver but the one with best reflexes mixed with a lot of stupidity.

Distributing the braking evenly on a bike will only make you lose control. Brakes are always supposed to be 60%-40% front-rear.

Things like this will keep happening to us bikers...so just push it out of your mind...you have no choice (apart from not riding a bike).

YAYYYYYYYYYYY have company and was starting to feel lonely. Shouldnt have mentioned even force distribution but feel that both brakes should be activated ( 60 % frnt and 40 % behind)
Old 20th July 2006, 23:05   #30
rks
BANNED

I am surprised that you took a fall whlie braking from 30-40 kmph. I have driven a Bajaj Chetak and Kinetic Honda for several years and in my experience, this shouldn't happen even if you just jam the front brake, unless the road is particularly slippery. Was it raining or was the road muddy or dirty so that the tyres didn't grip? Otherwise I think you need to get your bike checked -- in a real braking emergency you will be in big trouble.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote