Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th July 2014, 18:22   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Activa: 110 vs 125?

Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade from my 2009-2010 Activa 110 to the new Activa 125 with disc brakes.
Just wanted some feedback from present owners on the endurance or durability of the front Telescopic Suspension on the new Activa 125 and would it warrant regular maintenance for Oil changes and seal leakages, etc.

The Activa 110, I presently own, is in its 5th year clocked 26,000 kms and has never had any issues or expenditure for suspension or mechanicals whatsoever.
Only kept going totally trouble free with regular 3000 km scheduled Engine and Gearbox Oil changes and one set of rear brake shoes renewal at Honda Authorised workshops throughout.
And yes, that Honda Service is sub standard but I make sure that I stand over their shoulders while getting my work done, something which they disapprove but eventually I get my way as a regular customer.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Activa: 110 vs 125?-01072010065.jpg  

President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 15:48   #17
BHPian

Agree with @amit_purohit20

There is No debate that Honda products are excellent. But, We are discussing about the 2 Wheeler Company in India and their Dealers.

Have been using Honda Scooters since, 1999. The Dealer attitude and the ASS was very good for the first couple of years. Once, the product became popular, the success went to their heads.

MNC's always use Outdated Technology in India, since there is no one complaining nor there is any benchmark. 4 Wheeler Companies have learnt the lesson and are now on par with International standards (UP TO). Bikes have also improved a lot, but Scooters are way behind in features. Other 2 Wheeler Companies are just trying to equate Activa, and not better - except to some extent TVS. Being a Market Leader Honda should take the initiative of bringing in latest technology rather than continuing with the obsolete technology.

@sam_sant2005

The difference between Honda ASS and others is that Honda is like Government Office and others are Private Sector. Nobody's perfect, but Private Companies give a try under pressure. Where as Government Offices (Honda's) attitude is "Take it or Leave it".

I can't rate which Company's ASS is best, but definitely, One of the Worst is Honda 2 Wheelers. Even while buying, you'll always feel that the Sales Person is doing a favor to you by selling the product.

BHPians, wriggle their way and meet the Supervisors, but think about an Average Guy. Because of overcrowding, He/She will meet only the Cleaning guys and the Billing section. So, any niggling problems have to be done by Outside Mechanics.

@ Whitewing - Don't bother about Resale value, I prefer gifting such vehicles to a needy person who'll transfer the vehicle into his name, rather than sell it to the Dealers. They'll will not sell for less than 10K to others. My point here is, If the Scooter serves the purpose, go for it. I don't know about Nova, but Mahindra Rodeo has got the best Suspension - Front & Back. And If you've back pain or are Middle aged and above, you'll spend the Cost of the Scooter towards Doctor's Fees within the First Year itself. And this is for sure in Bangalore.

Telescopic suspension is not rocket science, and it'll not cost more than 2-3% of the Cost. 15 years is too long for Honda just to update Suspension (Barring Aviator). And now We've to see who'll take the initiative to better the Rear suspension. And also Stop-Start Fuel saving technology.
jaaz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 00:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
I own the regular 110cc Activa and have also been using the Activa 125 for a couple of months.
How did you manage to get delivery of 125 so quickly? I have booked the 125 six weeks ago by paying 5K. I followed up today but they still won't commit on the expected delivery date. I offered to pay 70K full amount in advance but they refused to accept. They say the 125 is over-booked; might take another 2 months because Honda barely manages to deliver 5 or 6 vehicles to each top dealer in Pune per month. Is this hype or reality?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014, 02:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I am in dilemma to decide whether to go for honda activa or activa 125?

Plan to buy: August first week
So, @Grand, did you finalize on the ride?
whitewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2014, 10:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
So, @Grand, did you finalize on the ride?
Sorry for delay reply! I was held with some personal commitments.

Not yet finalized!

I have kept my unicorn for sale. I don't have space to park two riders in my parking area. One has to go!

Once my unicorn gets sold, I am going to book Activa.

Meanwhile I visited Honda showroom located in Whitefield-Bangalore, the sales guy told me that for activa 125 there is waiting period of more than a month. After setting up new Honda plant near Kolar, I am not expecting long waiting period. I am also not sure whether its a trick played by dealers to make customers to buy activa 110cc??
GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 16:06   #21
BHPian

In Delhi just called few dealers and waiting period quoted 5 months minimum. What is Honda upto? Do they think 2 wheelers buyers will going to wait for 5 month atleast not me.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 17:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade from my 2009-2010 Activa 110 to the new Activa 125 with disc brakes.
Just wanted some feedback from present owners on the endurance or durability of the front Telescopic Suspension on the new Activa 125 and would it warrant regular maintenance for Oil changes and seal leakages, etc.
I've just received my Activa 125 DLX and I'm loving every bit of it. Check out my review in the motorbike section. Only drawback I could find is the low riding position. The position is lower as compared to Aviator but is almost same to the outgoing Activa 110
harsh.m06 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 19:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
How did you manage to get delivery of 125 so quickly? I have booked the 125 six weeks ago by paying 5K. I followed up today but they still won't commit on the expected delivery date. I offered to pay 70K full amount in advance but they refused to accept. They say the 125 is over-booked; might take another 2 months because Honda barely manages to deliver 5 or 6 vehicles to each top dealer in Pune per month. Is this hype or reality?
Some of it is reality while some is hyped as well. There is a shortage of Activa 125 and I was also told by many people that every dealership is getting around 5~8 units max in a time of about 3~4 weeks. Luckily, I got my hands on a disc brake model in 1 month wait time which was rejected by a person who wanted the standard one. Loving every bit of it. A big improvement over the previous 110cc model.
harsh.m06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Is it only the enthusiasts who complain about the poor suspension in Honda Activa 110?

It is probably a market leader and people don't care about the suspension it seems.
My wife alternates between the Activa 110 (done 8000 km now) and our Access 125 (done 20000 KM now).
Our Access is maintained much better than the Activa (which belongs to our neighbour who does not use it at all).

The lack of telescopic suspension makes no difference at all to my wife. She prefers it to the Access (which has telescopic suspension).

Whenever I take the Activa out, I really need to slow down on those rubber speed brakers. Else I can really get a bad jolt on my wrists. At the same time, minor road undulations are handled much better by Activa. With Access the ride is harsh, unless you have a silky smooth road.
So, Honda does have some clean advantages even without a good suspension setup.

Sorry to drag Access into this thread.

I am having a hard time to digest that Activa 125 with disc brakes costs Rs. 70000.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 13:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is it only the enthusiasts who complain about the poor suspension in Honda Activa 110?

It is probably a market leader and people don't care about the suspension it seems.

The lack of telescopic suspension makes no difference at all to my wife. She prefers it to the Access (which has telescopic suspension).

I am having a hard time to digest that Activa 125 with disc brakes costs Rs. 70000.
I completely agree. People tend to go with the popular opinion. They are even ready to pay premium prices and endure silly long waiting times for the supposed reliability these products offer. And this behaviour is not just restricted to the Activa buyers and can be found in other popular products in the industry.

My dad got himself an Activa in Jan '12. I got myself a Pulsar 180 in Aug '12. Last month, I sold my Pulsar with 17k+ kms on the odo. During the same period the Activa has covered 5k kms, 80% used by me. I won't compare the comfort of both, but reliability wise both were exactly the same. Though the Activa never broke down till date (like my Pulsar), it had a broken speedo cable (2k kms), a fused rear tail-lamp(3k kms) and a loose HI-LO switch (5k kms). Nothing such happened with my Pulsar. Add to that, the much higher spares and service cost of the Honda (vs a premium bike) and the whole premium experience/reliability goes for a toss.

Now, I am looking to replace my bike with a scooter and have shortlisted the Activa 125 DLX (~73k OTR). Sadly, some things don't change.

OT: I am also inclined towards the Access and wanted to know about the brakes. Are the brakes good and how comfortable it is for long intra-city rides (60-70 kms but once in a while). I ask this as it is difficult to find out in a small TD.

Last edited by ashis89 : 22nd July 2015 at 13:59.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 14:11   #26
BHPian

Both will be uncomfortable on long rides. I bought the Access as the product is almost similar and saves you a lot of money and waiting time.

Though I am a rider. I think there is hardly anything to choose between the two. In fact, I got better service at Suzuki (due to low volumes). My Unicorn service used to be a nightmare due to rush at the workshop.
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
OT: I am also inclined towards the Access and wanted to know about the brakes. Are the brakes good and how comfortable it is for long intra-city rides (60-70 kms but once in a while). I ask this as it is difficult to find out in a small TD.
Brakes in Access are really poor. I can say Activa 110 is significantly better in this regard (with combi-brakes).
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 10:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

^^ i have found it other wise. Access(owned one previously) brakes have better bite, activa brake feels very spongy. I am talking about activa 125 here. If you ask me combi brakes does nothing great to the braking, the front and rear bias is difficult to adjust and even if you do it goes bad in 200-300kms.

12inch wheels does wonders for ride quality of active 125 over access. Ride quality is one of the reason i got activa, had test ridden vespa also and that thing had the worst suspension, very stiff. Maybe it will be nice on good roads but not on Indian roads.

Access engine is very smooth, even at 60-70kmph it does not feels strained at all. Activa 125 feels little stained after 55kmph.

Edit: I got a activa 125 recently and there was no waiting period. Bike was delivered same day with temp registration.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 23rd July 2015 at 10:57.
Rahulkool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 08:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Even I find my Activa 110 brakes to be spongy and inadequate. I will check out both, the Access and the Activa 125 for the ride quality and then take a call. The problem that I usually find is most scooters feel a tad small for my 6ft height. This decreases the comfort levels.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 10:45   #30
BHPian

The twin brakes introduced on the later models seems to be a gimmick or just an additional feature to edge over the sales of other models from my way of thinking.
Can we get feedback from some experienced enthusiasts here if it is a plus point practically or not.
As for me, I am an old timer and am quite satisfied with the conventional regular independant brakes.
President is offline   Reply With Quote