Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 09:46   #166
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,646
Thanked: 1,947 Times
Default

Sorry to have woken up this thread after 2 years as I've few questions on using engine oil on my RX.

With the advent of modern 4 stroke engines, I'm finding it highly impossible to find out a good engine oil recommended by YMIS. So after long debates & research, I've zeroed in with 3 Shell lubricants for my use

1. Shell Helix Ultra - India
2. Shell Helix HX5 - India
3. Shell Helix HX3 - India

Now looking at the specs of the engine oil of Ultra, HX5 & HX3, these are following questions (confusions) I've.

1. Considering the age old technology of RX's engine (90's) I think HX3 is sufficient. However looking at the API specs, the SG seems to be outdated. However I'm more biased towards the 20W-50. The 50 is more attractive here to me.

2. Shell HX5 seems to be ideal on as it provides 15W-40 where I'm not so biased with 15W as in Chennai we don't have this low weather. However I'm more biased towards the SL which is a spec as of 2001. But again, will the new age oil suitable for age old RX engine?

3. Shell Ultra again is of recent technology (2004) with API as SM & again its 5W-40 which I don't think of much use as Chennai is not prone to 5 in winters. However I'm more biased towards the SM & again left with the question, will the new age oil be suitable for age old RX engine?

Appreciate, if some experts guides me accordingly. Thanks.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 02:05   #167
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I suggest you stick to YamaLube.

I've started using it recently and the gear shift appears to be much smoother and lighter than before.

Even better, you may go for Motul 800 2T Fully Synthetic Oil. Comes at ~Rs. 650/leter. Plan on using this soon after I rebuild my RX135.

Hope that helps.
manarcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 02:28   #168
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default RX 135 Rebuild Queries.

I see there's not much activity on this thread for over 2 years now.

However, I need some clarifications and advice on rebuilding my RX.

Specs:

2000 RX 135 4s
Run about 85K
Running on 5speed bore-piston which was plonked in early 2008.
5s chain sprocket kit (15/38).

How the bike responds:
- Great top end. However, feel like engaging another gear. (I guess its just the feeling)
- The initial pick up in any gear is bad. Forgot to add 2T oil in tank as I was not used to it. After about a year, I need to rebore.

My plan

- Procure all the required parts by Jan/Feb.
- Work on the Engine 1st. Please suggest a good Mechanic to get the engine work in Bangalore?
- Re-wind coil for 90/100 from a good electrical shop (have Ruby electricals in mind) and use a good 60/65W bulb. Have a Yezdi doom.
- Front fork is leaking and tube is bent. Will get a complete set of RTR/Gladiator Front fork (not going for the disc now, will procure in mid 2011. Vitamin M deficiency, that explains why I'm procuring parts in installment).
- RDD digital CDI at ~ Rs. 3000/-
- RDD Head mod at ~ Rs. 1000/-
- RDD Filter at ~ Rs. 2000/-
- Get a paint job. Keep it simple. Tank and side Flap get a black with white/gold sparkles. Rest get a matt black finish.
- Change both front & Rear tyres. Currently have a 2.5x18 front and 2x16 ceat secura rear. Will get 18" rim both front and rear with Michelin M45/M62 or MRF.
- Make a inbuilt chamber. (So called in Bangalore where they take the stock silencer and remove the restrictions on way, Costs ~ Rs. 1000/-).
- Get disc break set-up of RTR/Gladiator.

The entire project will be for about a year. As I'm short on cash, will do it stage by stage.

I got the following parts recently:
- 1st oversize (0.25mm) piston kit at Rs. 1110/- (will also get 0.5mm as backup as its available in Bangalore showroom off the shelf)
- Overhaul Gasket kit at Rs. 140/-
- 5 speek chain and sprocket kit (15/38) at Rs. 459/-
- Engine overhauling screw kit at Rs. 95/-
- Gear lever / shift pedal at Rs. 125/-.

I want to get the RX-Z meter assembly (speed, tacho & light). Please let me if its available anywhere.

I want to know what other engine parts will be required.

Please advice.
manarcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 22:59   #169
BHPian
 
praJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Add RDD 100/90 kit to your list, forget ruby.

And whats with that inbuilt chamber ? who does it ? i have not heard of any so asking.

One more kind suggestion ditch oil pump and go premix ( well to each is his own)
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 01:34   #170
BHPian
 
SriramEfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 139
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manarcane View Post
I suggest you stick to YamaLube.

I've started using it recently and the gear shift appears to be much smoother and lighter than before.
I'm able to understand that you are suggesting Yamalube Engine Oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manarcane View Post
Even better, you may go for Motul 800 2T Fully Synthetic Oil. Comes at ~Rs. 650/leter. Plan on using this soon after I rebuild my RX135.

Hope that helps.
Aargee was only referring to Engine oil. Motul 800 2T FS comes at 650/-????

Aargee: No doubt that Shell engine oils are good. I would recommend you to switch to Motul 5100 SS, reason? try once.
SriramEfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:09   #171
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@praJEEP What is inbuilt?They cut the rear part of stock silencer and remove the muffler. I've seen that that on a few RX and used one on mine too for a while. Gives a decent raise in acceleration. Also, you can control the noise/sound as the rear is cut (you can insert glass wool to cut down on noise).
RDD 100/90 kit: Expensive. May be, last on the list.

@SriramEfunds Sorry for the confusion. Yamalube for Transmission oil.
2T oil for fuel pre-mix is Motul 8002T or even Motul 510 as suggested by few. I've got the Motul 8002T. Seems good compared to Shell2T advanced (which I was using before).
manarcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 22:08   #172
BHPian
 
praJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 537
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manarcane View Post
@praJEEP What is inbuilt?They cut the rear part of stock silencer and remove the muffler. I've seen that that on a few RX and used one on mine too for a while. Gives a decent raise in acceleration. Also, you can control the noise/sound as the rear is cut (you can insert glass wool to cut down on noise).
RDD 100/90 kit: Expensive. May be, last on the list.
You mean this Shogun capped Rx Silencer - xBhp Classifieds : Buy & Sell

anyways i thaught its something else
praJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 22:22   #173
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 115
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry to have woken up this thread after 2 years as I've few questions on using engine oil on my RX.

With the advent of modern 4 stroke engines, I'm finding it highly impossible to find out a good engine oil recommended by YMIS. So after long debates & research, I've zeroed in with 3 Shell lubricants for my use

1. Shell Helix Ultra - India
2. Shell Helix HX5 - India
3. Shell Helix HX3 - India

Now looking at the specs of the engine oil of Ultra, HX5 & HX3, these are following questions (confusions) I've.

1. Considering the age old technology of RX's engine (90's) I think HX3 is sufficient. However looking at the API specs, the SG seems to be outdated. However I'm more biased towards the 20W-50. The 50 is more attractive here to me.

2. Shell HX5 seems to be ideal on as it provides 15W-40 where I'm not so biased with 15W as in Chennai we don't have this low weather. However I'm more biased towards the SL which is a spec as of 2001. But again, will the new age oil suitable for age old RX engine?

3. Shell Ultra again is of recent technology (2004) with API as SM & again its 5W-40 which I don't think of much use as Chennai is not prone to 5 in winters. However I'm more biased towards the SM & again left with the question, will the new age oil be suitable for age old RX engine?

Appreciate, if some experts guides me accordingly. Thanks.
Aargee - you need to look for JASO MA / JASO MA2 certified oils for wet clutch multiplate motorbikes. None of those are meant for use in motorbikes as Tx Oil.

Valvoline Premiumt 4T 20W50 if you have the money. If you want something that lasts 2500km with average feel - Castrol Activ Xtra 20W50. More than sufficient. Helix are car/truck engine oils and friction modifiers in passenger car oils / truck oils will cause problems in wet clutch multiplate motobikes. This issues has been discussed to death on the other forum Aargee... stay away from these.

Last edited by Sandeep_K_Ram : 17th November 2010 at 22:24.
Sandeep_K_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 11:24   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,646
Thanked: 1,947 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
I would recommend you to switch to Motul 5100 SS, reason? try once.
Point taken seriously, I'll be switching to Motul & will buy from Gopalapuram this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
Aargee - you need to look for JASO MA / JASO MA2 certified oils for wet clutch multiplate motorbikes. None of those are meant for use in motorbikes as Tx Oil.
Sure, I'll keep this point in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
If you want something that lasts 2500km with average feel - Castrol Activ Xtra 20W50.
I'd buy this point to an extent on Castrol. I used CRB+ (yes its for diesel engine oil) & I could feel the smoothness in the engine for more than 3K kms after which I forcefully changed. Let me try Motul next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
This issues has been discussed to death on the other forum Aargee... stay away from these.
Point taken sir
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 13:54   #175
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 80
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: RX 135 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by autozealot View Post
Hi. Can anyone point out why this problem occurs in my 4 speed RX135?
Sometimes whilst shifting from 1st to 2nd gear when the bike is in motion, the shift is not neat. I mean it shifts to a silly position between the neutral & 2nd gear. I have to again bring down the engine rpm and then shift to the 2nd properly.
I got the 2 gear changer springs replaced too as per my mech. But the problem arose again after 40-50 kms of riding.
Any advise on this is welcome pls. Thanx
I have the same issue with my 98 Rx 135 4S. The only solution seems to be a firmer pull and full cluthing while gear changing. Also get the clutch plate checked once if the problem persists.
Yamahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 11:12   #176
BHPian
 
darshan.ckm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: chikmagalur
Posts: 36
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: RX 135 Thread

My RX 135 4 speed was in a sorry state due to prolonged use. Recently gave it a make over. Some pictures post overhaul.
Attached Thumbnails
RX 135 Thread-2.jpg  

RX 135 Thread-4.jpg  

RX 135 Thread-6.jpg  

RX 135 Thread-8.jpg  

RX 135 Thread-10.jpg  

RX 135 Thread-11.jpg  

RX 135 Thread-12.jpg  

darshan.ckm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2014, 21:16   #177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 76
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: RX 135 Thread

Hi guys,

I've a 2003 Yamaha RX 135. A few weeks ago the clutch cable snapped just close to my place. Luckily I only had to push it for a few hundred feet back to my place. I'm planning to fix the clutch cable myself. I've tried searching on the internet on how to fix the clutch cable but I'm unable to find any. Please let me know if someone has DIH (Done it himself :P ) and the procedure involved.

I vaguely remember the steps but I don't want to risk accidental damage/experimentation!

Thanks in advance!
vishwasvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 06:10   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
vinay kamath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MUMBAIBANGALORE
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 1,388 Times
Default Re: RX 135 Thread

DEMAND FOR THE YAMAHA RX ACCELERATES
Bangalore Mirror Mar 22, 2016

A Bengaluru dealer who hung on to 7 bikes for years, auctioned them for Rs 1.5 lacs
​Retro biking and a fad surrounding the Rx 135 has turned the motorcycle into a treasure for a city-based Yamaha dealer, who was flooded with requests when the 'mean machine' was put up on sale recently.

Of the reason for the present shortage of these much-loved two-wheelers, Rahul S Dhojanna, owner of Pacer Motors, said, "Manufacturing of the Yamaha Rx 135 was stopped in 2005, when the Central government enforced stricter emission norms. Two-stroke two-wheelers failed to abide by the newly-formulated rules forcing companies to stop their production."

Around this time, Mumbai and Bengaluru saw a surge in the number of drag racing clubs. Two-stroke bikes were a rage among racers. Because of their superior pick-up and speed, the first two names that got associated with drag racing in days of yore were Yamaha Rx 100 and Rx 135.

Arjun Ramu, a bike enthusiast and owner of an Rx 135, said, "The Rx 135 was in production from 1997 to 2005 and it was launched in the market to replace an earlier bike in this category. With a maximum power of 14 bhp, this was regarded as a beast during those times and every racer wanted to have one of them.

read more at
"http://www.bangaloremirror.com/bangalore/others/Demand-for-the-Yamaha-Rx-accelerates/articleshow/51502327.cms
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 10:36   #179
BHPian
 
jeevan007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: RX 135 Thread

Got hold of this !! A Yamaha Rx135 4 speed bike's Owner's Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
RX 135 Thread-yamaharx135manual.jpg  

jeevan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 12:37   #180
BHPian
 
skyliner34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 170
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: RX 135 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevan007 View Post
Got hold of this !! A Yamaha Rx135 4 speed bike's Owner's Manual.
Good find Jeevan
Can you please tell me the recommended gear box oil viscosity mentioned in manual?
skyliner34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help in Selecting New Bike! 120-135 cc volvox Motorbikes 35 29th June 2011 20:44
my yamaha rxg 135 vickedv4 Motorbikes 9 30th April 2007 13:35
RX 135 modification.... help required iamdstig Motorbikes 3 27th October 2006 23:05
2000 Yamaha 135 for SALE zulfikar Shifting gears 3 23rd March 2006 12:31
2000 Yamaha 135 howmuch should i PAY. zulfikar Motorbikes 4 3rd January 2006 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks