Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 25th September 2015, 03:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: TVS Scooty Pep+: Occasionally not starting & accelerating

I have no specific knowledge of the Scooty Pep but most scooters/motorcycles have a fairly easy way to gain access to the upper end of the accelerator cable.

Often, this just requires the removal of a few screws to open the housing at the right hand grip.

If you can get access, putting some oil into the cable until some of it runs out the lower end down by the carburetor will provide all of the lubrication it should need.

If the accelerator is still difficult to operate, look for areas where the cable might be kinked. If there are none it may be time to consider getting the cable replaced.
ArizonaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 11:29   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Update :
So while I did a 40 + 40km trip without seeing the engine-dying issue even once, it again popped up repeatedly when wifey was using it. And then I also started seeing this issue last week - a little too frequently and persistently. Luckily I was able to take it to the mechanic when the issue was there and he went for a ride. His comment on returning was, "To cross a busy road with this condition, would mean surely getting hit by a vehicle".

Anyway, the diagnosis was issue with carburettor - cleaning it. And also the air-filter. Which was done on Tuesday and while using it since then, the issue has not been seen. Touchwood.

I am wondering why we did not make this connect with the carburettor - a very plausible reason for engine choking / dying. I guess the symptom of electric-start not working (but kick-start working) misled us into looking at the battery / electrical system. Anyway I hope the issue does not recur again.

Couple items the mechanic asked to do was :
1) Get the accelerator cable changed - they were not able to source a spare.
2) Get the front tyre changed - wear at one side. Wonder why such wear ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 16:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I guess I spoke too early. After the spark-plug change and service, things were OK for few weeks, after which the issue recurred - once when my wife was riding and couple of times with me.

Issue sequence as below :
1) You are riding along and suddenly the engine dies. Just like that.
2) You try the electric-starter and engine does not come to life.
3) Try the kick-start, engine comes on, but will die immediately.

After this, what I do is revv the engine with brakes pressed and ride back home. If I reduce the accelerator input, it feels like the engine will again switch off. Not only is it counter-productive to revv & brake at the same time, it is bad riding.

In contrast, what my wife says she does in such a situation is : Kick start the bike, ride slowly (without revving the engine) & limp back home. Will try this & see the next time the bike dies.

The odd thing is that there is no knowing when this issue will happen. And no way to replicate it for the mechanic.

For a bike that is just a few years old and done only about 10K kms, it's a pain to see such issues. In contrast, my CD-100 was trouble-free for so many years, needing only an engine-oil change every 3K kms. Nothing like the Japs when it comes to a reliable and trouble-free experience.
Hi SB,

Were you able to identify the issue? I am facing a similar problem.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3974981 (TVS Scooty Streak - Starting problem)
adhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 10:53   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

In my case, it was the carburettor (details in the post just before yours in this thread). Once cleaned and air-filter also cleaned, the issue was gone. IN the 7+ months since then, we have not had any issues.

To me, it looks like the same could be the cause in your case too.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote