Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 23rd August 2016, 15:19   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Analysis: KTM Duke 390 Alloy wheel cracking problem

A similar issue was noted with Mahindra XUV500 alloys.

That thread however, received a lot more attention.

Ironically, the issue with the Duke alloys is WAYYY more dangerous.

It could easily cost a biker his life.

In the case of the XUV, Mahindra followed it up and ever started a silent recall.

LINK (XUV500 safety issue: Weak alloy wheels. EDIT: Mahindra starts silent recall!)
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:54   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Has there been any official statement or action regarding this?

Are KTM/Bajaj at least replacing the wheels, or are customers being made to pay?
Nope, Bajaj SVC are making the customers to claim under the insurance. I replaced mine once and the second one is slightly bent at one place after going over a broken patch on the road.

The newer version of the bikes seems to have overcome this problem going by the reporting of the broken/ bent rims. There are only stray cases of this incident.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
[b]
[i]Am too lucky and unlucky at the same time when Duke 390's alloy broke when it gone over an joint in concrete road which is just 1 inch above the road. Survived crash with some minor crashes.
Good to know the rider escaped with minor injury. Can your please let us know when was the bike bought? I mean which year model? The 2016 model seems to have stronger rims.
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:52   #64
BHPian

I would like to know if the rim bending issues on Duke 390 is prominent on the front rims or the rear rims?
Weathered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 09:38   #65
asw
BHPian

Am the rider (Shyam Cmr)

I contacted KTM and Bajaj Guy called me. He is denying that it's not their fault and asking me to change it under insurance.

Bike was bought in Dec 2015

Am lucky that I survived the crash.
Just came to my room in AP from chennai finishing my 400km ride with full riding gears. Dad asked me to go to nearby ATM. I thought it will be silly in that rural area (ultra tech cement factory near belum caves) and wore just an thick jerkin with thermal liner, helmet and shorts that I was wearing below riding pants.

The rim crack is not due to low pressure. Because I checked air few minutes before crash. Bike pulled towards east due to heavy crosswinds (~39kmph) from west. So I checked if it was due to low air.

I was riding carefully not to hit anything since I have seen this problem online.
Suddenly the front started wobbling at high frequency then low and then I kissed the ground. My goodness I rolled rather than sliding. There wasn't any pot hole from my home to the point of crash.

Helmet saved my life. Also survived crash without any fractures and just bruises.

I rechecked the crash spot. Bike slid for 65steps (am 172cms tall) there isn't any pothole from my home to the point of crash.

For such a crash damage is less for both me and my bike.

These are the things that needs replaced/ repaired
1. Front wheel
2. Handle bar
3. Handlebar crash guards - right
4. Rear view mirror- right
5. Front brake lever with reservoir
6. Right footrest and brake assembly
7. Right engine crash guards
8. Right pillion foot rest
9. Right pillion grab rail (mounting point bent needs manual work)
10. Tank fairings
11. Right handlebar weights
12. Front windshield.
Right side switch assembly got scraped but I could live with that. Other mechanical damages like suspension if any.

KTM guys saying its your fault. if you are fast the alloy couldn't take impact. Seriously 🤔. A bike designed to go 170kmph but wheel snaps at 100kmph

I don't know why KTM isn't taking this thing seriously which will cost life of a driver. Alloy wheels cost ₹3000 how about adding extra ₹500 or even ₹1000 and make it better.

I thought of going to consumer court but my lawyer said me to claim insurance since it's a long process. As many choose this way they don't know the seriousness of this problem. Something has to be done in this.

Will attach pictures later.
asw is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 10:00   #66
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's scary.

Is it not possible to fit aftermarket alloys on the Duke 390? I mean, better, sturdier ones. I think even black ones will look good on the bike if you're unable to source orange.
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 10:04   #67
BHPian

Good to know you are safe and sound! That's very stupid of bajaj to explain that it can happen at high speed. Is there any difference in 2015 and 2016 models? Any upgradation done?
roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 15:25   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
I would like to know if the rim bending issues on Duke 390 is prominent on the front rims or the rear rims?
It is the rear that takes the beating more than the front ones. The front glides over if the pothole is small, but the rear hits the edge of the potholes and that makes it more susceptible to damage as it carries weight and speed at that point of time.

In my case during the first instance, the pothole was a large one and I hit the edge with both the wheels and both the rims got damaged, but there was no air leak. I ran the bike for a couple of days before I deemed that change would be better than paying for hospital bills.

The second instance, the rim took a beating on the down ramp of a flyover between the two concrete blocks. In that case the rear rim is slightly bent and appears to be wobbling when turned by hand at a point. This has not affected the riding and handling of the bike and I am continuing to use it as it is.
unk9ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 16:18   #69
BHPian

All these cases of rims breaking from impact instead of bending points to brittle metal. The brittleness can also explain rims failing catastrophically by breaking at several places.

I wonder if Bajaj or the rim supplier decided to cut costs by omitting some important post-casting heat treatment process. Someone with time and money to spare (or a grouse to pick with Bajaj) can have the metal tested in a metallurgical lab along with a metal sample from a known good wheel rim.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 10:09   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
I mean which year model? The 2016 model seems to have stronger rims.
Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw View Post
I thought of going to consumer court but my lawyer said me to claim insurance since it's a long process. As many choose this way they don't know the seriousness of this problem. Something has to be done in this.

Will attach pictures later.
Definitely do attach ALL pictures you have.

Also, when was this accident? Document everything, including damage to the bike and injuries to yourself!

You'd shared one more pic on our facebook page. To be honest, this specific pic (which is the other side of the same area of the rim shown in the earlier pic) looks like it has been caused by an impact...

Analysis: KTM Duke 390 Alloy wheel cracking problem-14034794_10209845860973860_2276613824537239729_n.jpg

The earlier shared pic (from the other side):

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th August 2016 at 10:12.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2016, 15:14   #71
asw
BHPian

This is the video of the Road where the Alloy cracked. There's no potholes or anything. Not sure what made such a dent. I was also riding near left edge of the road where it was better.

*I used an old CT100 which is almost like scrap to take that video so there's so much noise.
*Also the ones that looks like patch aren't patch they are thin layer of tar to fix the road from damaging.

Analysis: KTM Duke 390 Alloy wheel cracking problem-imageuploadedbyteambhp1480412633.869456.jpg
asw is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote