Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th September 2014, 11:09   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default India becomes largest two-wheeler market for Honda

India has emerged to become the largest market for Japanese two-wheeler giant, Honda. For the last couple of months, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) managed to sell more units than the company's subsidiaries in other large markets such as Indonesia and Vietnam.

Indonesia was Honda's largest market till India took away the top spot in July. While most of Honda's motorcycles, have not managed to make a very big impact, its Activa scooter has played a big part in the company's success in India. It has been swapping places for the best-selling two-wheeler in the country with the Hero Splendor motorcycle, which is built by Honda's former collaborator, Hero MotoCorp.

Honda ended its collaboration with Hero in 2011. The company has surpassed manufacturers like Bajaj Auto to make reach the number two spot behind Hero. It does not have any plans to slow down and intends to challenge Hero for the top spot. Honda has a launch planned for every quarter and has increased its range in the mass 100-110 cc bike segment with the Dream range. While the segment's share in total two-wheeler sales has fallen from 49% in 2012 to 47%, Honda's sales have grown.

At present HMSI has an approximate annual production capacity of 4.5 million units. It has three plants in the country located in Rajasthan, Haryana and Karnataka. Another plant is building constructed in the state of Gujarat. This plant is expected to be inaugurated in 2016 and will roll out 1.2 million units annually.

Source: Times of India
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 18:43   #2
BHPian

Default Re: India becomes largest two-wheeler market for Honda

Honda has literally given wings to its two wheeler's business! It's commendable to see in such a less time span it has left behind the oldest player in the market - bajaj in terms of total sales.
I guess Achilles' heel for Bajaj is scooter segment. While it tried with Sunny, Spirit, Wave, Kristal etc but couldn't succeed. Bajaj is focusing on motorcycle business alone.

After making it's strong foothold in the automatic scooter segment; Honda is spanning wings in commuter bikes and I am sure once it has strong base here too; it will focus on performace motorcycles leaving Bajaj's Pulsar behind.
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 19:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Honda has literally given wings to its two wheeler's business! It's commendable to see in such a less time span it has left behind the oldest player in the market - bajaj in terms of total sales.
I guess Achilles' heel for Bajaj is scooter segment. While it tried with Sunny, Spirit, Wave, Kristal etc but couldn't succeed. Bajaj is focusing on motorcycle business alone.

After making it's strong foothold in the automatic scooter segment; Honda is spanning wings in commuter bikes and I am sure once it has strong base here too; it will focus on performace motorcycles leaving Bajaj's Pulsar behind.
That is if they also focus on customer service. The huge number of sales figures has also given "wings" to the dealers to behave arrogantly towards their customers (by way of bad after sales service) and potential buyers who walk in for test drives and information.

Our full T-bhp forum is filled with bad customer feedback and rude after sales complaints experiences.

I personally visited 2 dealerships here in Mumbai, but I was straightly denied of any test ride, even the sales representative was not bothered to answer my doubts, hence I ruled out Honda from my probable new vehicles list.

There is no doubt that they make really reliable and good products - Period !, but the continued arrogance in after sales experiences will slowly ruin the brand on the whole for sure.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 10:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
That is if they also focus on customer service. The huge number of sales figures has also given "wings" to the dealers to behave arrogantly towards their customers (by way of bad after sales service) and potential buyers who walk in for test drives and information.

Our full T-bhp forum is filled with bad customer feedback and rude after sales complaints experiences.

I personally visited 2 dealerships here in Mumbai, but I was straightly denied of any test ride, even the sales representative was not bothered to answer my doubts, hence I ruled out Honda from my probable new vehicles list.

There is no doubt that they make really reliable and good products - Period !, but the continued arrogance in after sales experiences will slowly ruin the brand on the whole for sure.

I had a mixed experience towards Honda ASS. While I went to their showroom to ask for a test ride of activa, straight away I was denied. Similar case with Suzuki Access. These people feel once the vehicle is best seller, why at all you are bothering for a test ride. They become rude and arrogant. On the other hand when I had to buy CBR 250, I was treated like a VIP and was attended promptly. Even when I go for servicing my CBR, there is no queue or waiting for CBR. CBRs are handled by different group of technicians and have been allotted a different section in the service center.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2014, 12:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I brought an Access instead of an Activa for the same reason, the showroom people at Honda were downright rude, and that was to a potential customer.

Isn't that double standards with non CBR customers? I mean, so if someone is JUST paying ONLY 60k, they are not great customers, but if someone is willing to spend above 1L, then they are treated specially. This would not go down well in the longer run.

The story with Bajaj is another classical example of getting your priorities wrong. They had the whole country swinging to the tune of 'hamara Bajaj' and then they suddenly decide to stop the production of scooters and concentrate on bikes, and thus handing the scooter market to Honda on a silver platter. Outright stupid. One would think, having been in India for so long, they would know and understand the Indian customer much better.

Last edited by dass : 19th September 2014 at 12:54.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote