Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd November 2014, 14:36   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT

Congrats on your motorcycle.It does look amazing.That crashguard does deflect a bit of its looks,but yeah its more about function over form.

I was about to remove my crashguard a few weeks ago,during that thinking period,a few kids who were playing near where my bull was parked managed to knock it down.Due to the crashguard nothing happened.

Also it that the thicker variant of the same design of crashguard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Managed to get my hands on a GT Continental. It's maxing out at 132 km/hr. How can I increase its top speed???
There are people abroad(UK and US)who seem to be doing a fair bit in this regard.Continental GT being internationally significant,there should be a fair bit of performance enhancing parts on the market.

http://www.bikeexif.com/royal-enfield-continental-gt

Check this out.Also the hitchcocks motorcycles guys have performance parts for the gt.

Regards
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 09:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUL SINGH View Post
But more important what worried me was the limited view in the rear view mirrors of the CGT.
Hi Atul,
Initially I was also under the same impression and wanted to fix the traditional mirrors that came with the bike. But after 6 weeks of use I find that when positioned correctly the bar end mirrors give a good view of the road. I was pleasantly surprised and decided not to change them. At 105 Kmph on the speedometer there were no mirror vibrations at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Congrats on your motorcycle.
Also it that the thicker variant of the same design of crashguard?
There are people abroad(UK and US)who seem to be doing a fair bit in this regard.
Hi BOV, Thanks for your wishes and also the URL. I am not sure if the crash guard is a thicker version, but when it does not seem to weight much. I could easily handle it and support it when I was removing it and then fixing it back again. Once I have crossed 5000 Kms on the odometer I want to explore the modifications. Till then I am happy to ride with the stock power and torque.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 13:22   #33
BHPian

Last week end I decided to go on a ride in the newly opened Outer Ring Road (ORR)that connects Vandalur to Minjur. It is almost a 50 KM 6 lane road, supposedly designed for 110 Kmph. The grade separator at Vandalur on the Trichy highway is still work in progress.
Therefore one has to take the fly over that comes a KM after this(towards Chennai). It passes through or skirts around Perugalathur, Thirumudivakkam, Kundrathur and then Poonamallee. Afer crossing Bengaluru highway I decided to turn back since I had to be back home.
The road is very well laid and the curves are very gentle. The approach to the bridges have good visibility. Almost.Almost every few KMs there are small under passes to make U turns. But these small enough so that only by cars and motorcycles can use them and not any commercial vehicles.The road goes through Vandalur town and then joins the ORR just outside the town. The entire stretch has service roads on either side and entry and exit points marked.

I didn't come across any toll gates. Coming to think of it I didn't see any provision in the 20 KM stretch for toll gates. May be they are looking at a one at Vandalur
and another at Poonamallee and then at Minjur. That is where the trucks will make entry/exit in to the ORR.

On a couple of occasions I found cyclists and two wheelers on the wrong side of the road. A week back I read a report that there were already three fatal accidents
on the ORR during the last one month after they opened it up for traffic. Before then the service roads were open and was used by public.
Being a Sunday afternoon I found very litlle traffic.

Bike: I decided to push the bike a bit and up-shifted on reaching 3500rpm or above. The gear shifts were smooth and the torque was really fantastic.
I could change directions much easily and and the braking from 90 Kmph was straight and effective.
Once I crossed 90 there were vibrations in the lever but not in the handle bar.The rear-view mirror gave a clear image without any vibrations at all. I didn't push the bike beyond 3500rpm/105Kmph, at the top gear. I am a little apprehensive at present to go beyond that.Also I am not that particular to go above that speed since my comfort zone is around 80Kmph.

Mileage: I did my first tank top to tank top. 8 litres for a distance of 237Km of combined and sedate riding. This comes to 29.6KMPL.

Comfort: During the above trip I was upon the bike for 2.5 hours and 130 KM. From Thiruvanmiyur I hit the OMR, Pallavaram, Tamabram, Vandalur and then ORR.On the return
leg I came via Kelampakkam since the traffic was fairly high in the GST.My back and the neck had absolutely no issues at all. When doing 80Kmph I was keeping as up right as possible and I kept the arms loose.Above 90 I had to crouch to be more comfortable because of the wind force. I find that at crawling speeds I tend to put on the body weight on my arms/handlebar. This definitely strains the wrist. Once I am moving at more than 10 KMph then I ease the load on the hands and it is not an issue.
Another issue I found is the position of the levers. They are almost parallel to the horizontal and therefore the when de-clutching the wrist at has to be twisted up and this was causing pain. The same for the right lever too when applying the front brake.I decided to twist the levers to about 30 degrees and try. I could loosen the right lever and the switches and reposition, but couldn't loosen the screws of the left switchgear. This has made a big difference to my right wrist. I will take it to
the RE guys to lower the left lever too.For any one who rides crouched and with their arms parallel the original position should not be an issue since wrist will
remain in line with the forearms when applying the brake or de-clutching.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-dscn0648.jpg  

Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-dscn0653.jpg  

Last edited by arulpeem : 4th November 2014 at 13:23.
arulpeem is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 10:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I could loosen the right lever and the switches and reposition, but couldn't loosen the screws of the left switchgear. This has made a big difference to my right wrist. I will take it to
the RE guys to lower the left lever too.
I went a couple of days back to the OMR service station,but unfortunately the switch gear is screwed on to the handlebar it seems. Therefore I can't rotate them. So I need to live with the same position.
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 10:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I went a couple of days back to the OMR service station,but unfortunately the switch gear is screwed on to the handlebar it seems. Therefore I can't rotate them. So I need to live with the same position.
The switch assembly seems to be the same as in other models, which are adjustable. It is not justifiable if the same cannot be customized for riding ergonomics on a 2.5 lakh motorcycle.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 11:28   #36
Tgo
BHPian

Quote:
The switchgear on each side is a two part assembly (top and bottom halves). The top half has a dowel pin (plastic moulded) which meshes with a hole in the handlebar. This keeps the assembly from rotating.

Under the bottom half you will find screws which when tightened pull the top and bottom halves together until they are tightly secured.

All you need to do is open these screws fully so that the top and bottom halves come apart. Cut the plastic dowel pin jutting out of the top half (its on the "inside" - left for RHS switchgear and right for LHS). Roll some aluminium foil (3-4 rounds) on the handlebar where you will place the switchgear. Put both halves together and screw them tight. Just before they are fully tight rotate them to the position you want them to be in.

Aluminium foil will help the plastic grip the handlebars better and will provide a tighter fit than earlier which is essential since this foil wedged in between is the only thing that will keep your switch assembly from rotating specially since the dowel pin is removed.

Trim excess aluminium foil jutting out of the edges for a cleaner look.

Secondly, you might want to put in some play (increase it to max) in your accelerator cable so that it doesn't fall out from the pin when you are disassembling your switch assembly on RHS which has the accelerator cable going in to it as well. Readjust the play after fitting everything back.

Don't worry it can be done at home and easily fixable if anything goes wrong. Just that you cannot grow the dowel pin again once you cut it. I've been running my bike with a rubber tube substituting for the aluminium foil for the last 20,000 km. it all stays in place.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 11:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

Don't worry it can be done at home and easily fixable if anything goes wrong. Just that you cannot grow the dowel pin again once you cut it..
Thanks Tgo. I will attempt it over the weekend. Earlier I have done this for my old Thunderbrid and my earlier RD350. But they didn't have the dowel to lock them, if I remember right.
Old 14th November 2014, 14:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Great thread and congrats Arul.

I was wondering if anyone has clocked 0-60 kmph speed timings of the continental GT and Thunderbird 500. Royal Enfield claims the GT to be much faster but never mentioned by how many seconds.

Also how are sudden overtaking manouveres on the highway , I read reviews that the rpm cuts off during down shifts ?
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 20:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has clocked 0-60 kmph speed timings of the continental GT and Thunderbird 500. Royal Enfield claims the GT to be much faster but never mentioned by how many seconds.
If there are any android apps out there that help measure this, I'de be willing to give it a shot

Quote:
The rear-view mirror gave a clear image without any vibrations at all.
I wish I had your bike! Mine continues to give clear images only behind 2400 rpm.

Quote:
Another issue I found is the position of the levers. They are almost parallel to the horizontal and therefore the when de-clutching the wrist at has to be twisted up and this was causing pain. The same for the right lever too when applying the front brake.
Since you have the bar end mirrors, having them angled down should be easy for you. I prefer keeping the levers hidden when sitting on the bike i.e. they fall right behind the palm rests and directly in the line of sight.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 22:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
If there are any android apps out there that help measure this, I'de be willing to give it a shot
Ok I've found a review from the most unlikely website which states the timings of both bikes. The continental GT can do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds which they claim is 1.2 seconds faster than the TB500 , where the GT totally destroys the TB500 is in the 0-100 timing which it does in 12 seconds , that's a whooping 7 seconds faster than the TB500.

Hold on a minute , so does this mean that the GT is the fastest Indian bike to 100 kmph ?

source: http://forbesindia.com/article/appra...tal-gt/37005/1

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 14th November 2014 at 22:57. Reason: additional info
Old 15th November 2014, 06:53   #41
BHPian

Quote:
..............Aluminium foil will help the plastic grip the handlebars better and will provide a tighter fit than earlier which is essential since this foil wedged in between is the only thing that will keep your switch assembly from rotating specially since the dowel pin is removed......
Double side foam tape also does a good job for this by its soft foam & adhesive combo. Tiny bit along the inward edge of top & bottom halves is holding mine for years now. Worth a try.
Rennjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 08:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Last week end I decided to go on a ride in the newly opened Outer Ring Road (ORR)that connects Vandalur to Minjur.
Wow that is a very inviting piece of tarmac there! Perfect place to have an impromptu ride on a lazy morning.

Quote:
I didn't push the bike beyond 3500rpm/105Kmph, at the top gear.
That is a very relaxed engine speed, given the GT has a relatively higher bore:stroke ratio than the other REs. To give a perspective, the CBR250R does 105kph at 6500rpm in 6th gear. Although I agree that the Honda has an oversquare engine and such comparison doesn't make sense. I'm simply comparing the practical rideability.

Quote:

Hold on a minute , so does this mean that the GT is the fastest Indian bike to 100 kmph ?

Err, I'm not sure how you're defining an Indian bike but if it's Indian manufactured you're speaking of, then the Duke/RC 390 has a 0-100 timing of some 5.6 odd seconds (give or take a couple of milliseconds). If you're speaking of an Indian manufacturing company per se, then the 200NS from Bajaj does in 9.xx seconds.

Last edited by dreamseller : 15th November 2014 at 08:43. Reason: Typographical Error
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 11:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Err, I'm not sure how you're defining an Indian bike but if it's Indian manufactured you're speaking of, then the Duke/RC 390 has a 0-100 timing of some 5.6 odd seconds (give or take a couple of milliseconds). If you're speaking of an Indian manufacturing company per se, then the 200NS from Bajaj does in 9.xx seconds.
Yes what I meant was Indian manufacturing companies like Bajaj and Hero.

Didn't think about the 200 NS , are there any other bikes from their stable that's faster than the GT ?

Obviously it's not a fair comparison but it's nice to know that the GT can keep up with these sporty bikes
Old 15th November 2014, 23:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Yes what I meant was Indian manufacturing companies like Bajaj and Hero.

Didn't think about the 200 NS , are there any other bikes from their stable that's faster than the GT ?

Obviously it's not a fair comparison but it's nice to know that the GT can keep up with these sporty bikes
Yes, the 220 is also faster than the GT, though I'm not sure if it breaches the 10 second mark. But having said that, I'd personally have more fun on the GT. It's a work of art! It can adorn one's drawing room when not being used.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 11:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Great thread and congrats Arul.
Hi StanJohn, thanks a lot for your wishes.
To be honest I haven't tried to measure the acceleration or top speed. I am still apprehensive of doing it. The Outer Ring Road would be the ideal set up for doing that with hardly any traffic and the long stretches are ideal for it. Last week I ventured once again in that road and decided to go until where ever it takes me. It stops at Pattibiram. Looks like the work hasn't started beyond that and there is no sign of any construction visible in the google map too. It might take a few more years for the next phase to be completed and until then the road wouldn't serve the primary purpose of decongesting the city of heavy vehicle traffic. Until then it will be good for those who want to go out just for the sake of a hassle free drive or ride for an hour.

Mileage: When I did my tank top during the above trip it took 9 litres for 217Km. That gives just above 24. This time I had filled up almost upto the brim whereas the last time I didn't do so. Secondly i filled up in a nondescript pump in Nazarethpet. The calibration is definitely a suspect.

After nearly 800 Km on the bike I am feeling more and more confident on the bike. Very soon I will plan a long trip