Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 30th March 2015, 12:12   #76
BHPian

Default Re: Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdraj View Post
have recently got my new gt. Could you please share the information regarding the driving gear costs ( e.g. cramsters protectors) would be of great help

regs
Hi Jamesdraj, first let me congratulate you on your new ride and wish you a very safe and happy riding. I bought the cramster's Tundra gloves, Rs 1700/-, inner knee protectors Rs 1400/- and elbow protectors Rs 850/-. For the gloves I visited the stores when I was in B'luru and the rest I bought them on line. I am so far happy with them.

What is the colour your bike. Please post pictures and your experience.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 22:59   #77
BHPian

Have already posted my bikes pic in the photography and bike thread i guess..mine is red and I'm having great time with this beast. Went for few rides to pulicat lake , tada falls and the close one mahabs in ecr. Was planning on a chennai - madurai - kodai trip so wanted to get few accessories before i start on that. heres my red beast
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-dsc_1887.jpg  

Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-jd-o.png  

jamesdraj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 13:59   #78
BHPian

It has been a while since I took the bike for a long ride and will not be going on one until the summer is over. I keep riding it when I go the one of my offices in Tharamani.
I have clocked about 6600 Km till now. There are two problems I face.
After the last brake pad change I took my bike to the service centre to address an annoying sound that occurs every time i ride over a small pot holes. It is a shallow noise. I was told it is because of a loosened cone and tightened it. But the noise cropped up in a very short while. I went back in a couple of days and again it was a repeat of the same action and the result was also the same. The third time I took it they took a couple of days and changed to the cone free of cost. The bike was just a couple of weeks out of warranty. But my first visit was within the warranty. Unfortunately within a few days the noise has come back again. The noise does not come when I go over a projection in the road, like a speed breaker or a stone, but only when I go over a cut in the road or a small pothole... Even when going at 60 Kmph over large speed breakers there is no issue.

The second is cosmetic. The chrome ring on the tachometer had fallen off. When I checked the other one that was loose and I could turn it. That says a lot about the quality of workmanship. My 12 year old AVL thunder bird's chrome rings haven't lost a bit of the original sheen yet. When I asked if they can replace it I was told it doesn't come as a spare.. I noticed two other bikes with the same issue. They shifted the tachometer ring to the speedometer. If I can't get another ring, then probably I will remover the other one so that there is a uniform look. The rings are only ornamental and the console is waterproof without them.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-wp_20150419_001-1.jpg  

Old 14th May 2015, 14:57   #79
BHPian

Unfortunately the other chrome ring also fell off. I have no choice but to ride with simple dials now. If not I have to replace the console and that costs a bomb, about Rs6000/-. The manager has said that he will let me know if any bike comes up for the replacement of the whole console, which I think may not happen for a while. I have sent a mail to RE asking them look into the process so that this problem does not repeat for other customers. Hope they do something about it
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 16:33   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
...I have sent a mail to RE asking them look into the process so that this problem does not repeat for other customers. Hope they do something about it
I would suggest you to push on this matter and only then will you be getting some replacements. I remember sometime back, TBTS had some issues where the glass on the console would break off around the corners. RE never formally called back the TBTS but it was a manufacturing defect and owners had to push RE to get it replaced. Just sending an e-mail to the Royal Enfield ASM and asking him not to repeat for other customers, I believe will not solve your case. Rather I think you should also put up the query that why RE is not going to arrange for a replacement as the motorcycle is still under the warranty.
Majumdarda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 10:05   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I would suggest you to push on this matter Rather I think you should also put up the query that why RE is not going to arrange for a replacement as the motorcycle is still under the warranty.
Hi I am pushing it with them. yesterday I saw another bike in the service station that had a busted console. Let me see if they will arrange for the rings to be given to me when they replace it. I had taken the bike there since the rear wheel was not rotating freely after the punctured tyre was repaired. Also there the bike was making some funny noise when on the move for the first few kms. They seem to have set it right. They didn't charge me anything though the bike is out of warranty from 18th of March.
One issue is not set right by them even after multiple visits. When the bike goes over a even a small depression there is a 'tuck' noise. When I go over a bad speed breaker there is no noise at all. They even changed the cone last time, but the noise is persistent. .
Old 19th May 2015, 11:23   #82
BHPian

Quote:
One issue is not set right by them even after multiple visits. When the bike goes over a even a small depression there is a 'tuck' noise. When I go over a bad speed breaker there is no noise at all. They even changed the cone last time, but the noise is persistent. .
The showroom should be willing to put the chrome rings off the other bike. Can you describe where you hear the tuck noise coming from? The front suspension? I havent noticed such a noise till date on my bike.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th May 2015 at 11:26. Reason: broken quote tags fixed
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2015, 14:58   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The front suspension? I havent noticed such a noise till date on my bike.
It seems to be coming from the front suspension. Or from the front somewhere. I am unable to pinpoint the exact location. Sounds more plastic in nature than metallic.
Old 21st May 2015, 10:59   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately the other chrome ring also fell off. I have no choice but to ride with simple dials now. If not I have to replace the console and that costs a bomb, about Rs6000/-.
Contact Mukesh Chawla of Royal Enfield Zone in Delhi. They have a massive collection of meters. You might get suitable chrome rings at a reasonable cost.
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 11:32   #85
BHPian

Quote:
It seems to be coming from the front suspension. Or from the front somewhere. I am unable to pinpoint the exact location. Sounds more plastic in nature than metallic.
Hi there, I had a similar noise coming from my Pulsar 220Fi as well. It turned out to be worn out bearings in the front handle assembly. On average this bearing starts making noise every 6000-7000 kms after each replacement on my bike. At first I thought the the noise is coming from the plastic bodywork so I tightened everything but still the noise persisted.

The noise does not come when u go through big bumps or big potholes at low speeds, it comes when u run over a small stone or hit a small pothole travelling at speed. So if you are facing similar symptoms then it could be the handle bar assembly bearings.

I feel bikes that are more forward leaning by design like the Pulsar 220 and Continental GT may face these problems. The solution could be as simple as tightening the big Bolt on top of the Handle bar. Or it could require replacement of the bearings. Hope it helps, give it a try.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 19:45   #86
BHPian

Till date I haven't had success with the chrome rings. I was there today in the service centre to take care of few things:
1)Replace my right foot peg that had broken when my niece dropped the bike when he was trying to put it on the main stand. This is the second instance of foot peg breakage.
2)Yesterday the speedometer had stopped working and to my dismay I found that the cable was cut... It was not a rat bite. It was cut. I just wonder how it could have happened.
3)The bike also had developed a kat kat noise at slow speeds coming from the engine area.

The foot peg cost has gone from 200+ to 300+.
Speedo cable is not in stock and expected by this week end.
When I took the bike for test ride I found that the kat kat noise was still there. When a SA took it for a ride he could not hear any noise and wanted me to accompany him. Since I had the single seat he went into the workshop to change it to the double seat. Once inside I found them to be tightening the some of the body frame bolts. Later he said that he had a suspicion about those bolts hence decided to tighten them up. And his suspicion was spot on and the noise now has stopped.

This time i found the SAs to be more alert and also more receptive than the previous occasions. That was very welcome.
Old 16th July 2015, 09:26   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Speedo cable is not in stock and expected by this week end.
It was a little weird to ride with a non functional speedometer. Today morning when I was cycling it struck me that this is an electrical cable and not a mechanical one and therefore I should be able to simply join the wire. Upon closer inspection I found the cable has three wires, each of them colour coded. Therefore I just stripped them, joined them and insulated them. Now the speedo is working perfectly now. I will find out the cost of the cable and based on that I will decide whether to replace it or not.

Probably a good mechanic would have done this or at least suggested this to me at the service station. But in these days of replace and throwaway culture it is probably too much of an expectation from me I suppose.

Incidentally they didn't charge for the labour part for replacing the foot peg, the fused park light or for that matter any of the work even though my bike is now 15 months old.

Last edited by arulpeem : 16th July 2015 at 09:33. Reason: Added the last part.
Old 23rd July 2015, 09:50   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I will find out the cost of the cable and based on that I will decide whether to replace it or not.
The cost of the cable is INR 840 + Taxes. The cable and the sensor are a single unit. That would be the reason for the high cost. I don't think I will replace my cable for now since it seems to be working fine after I fixed it.
Old 6th September 2015, 13:57   #89
BHPian

Guys need a little advice! i am in love with the continental GT and wish to own one! however i need to know how comfortable is the bike for say a leh trip? also my friend said there is some issue with the ECU is it true? Please help me
gargashwin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2015, 12:17   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargashwin06 View Post
however i need to know how comfortable is the bike for say a leh trip? also my friend said there is some issue with the ECU is it true? Please help me
Hi my long distance travels have been upto about 6 hours of riding with a couple of stops. I find it comfortable. I haven't done any trip in the mountains yet so I can't say much about that. My main idea of getting the bike was and is to go up the Himalayas. I haven't faced any issues of pack pain or discomfort.I am not that young at 55, but I keep myself relatively fit.
I haven't faced any issue with the ECU until now. The bike has done 8100Km till date.