Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 11th January 2016, 14:25   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
I also had ordered the 7" LED headlight from A2Z Motorcycle super store in Mumbai for a total of Rs 7400/- which was delivered last week. I fixed that too yesterday. I could connect only the low and high beams since it was just plug and play but not the DRL. I need to make small changes to the wiring for that and I am not very familiar with that. Will get it done by an electrician once I get the wiring diagram from the store. I took it for a short ride in the evening and I was happy with the lighting. But will know better once I ride it longer in the night time. One immediate benefit I could note. Earlier in idle speed with the halogen bulb on the battery discharge light used to come on and will go away only on crossing 1500 RPM. Now even at idle speed the discharge light does not come on. This should be good for the battery. I will post the pictures this weekend.

Cheers
Looking forward to details of your mod. Even I feel that headlamp needs upgrade on my GT. If you also took pictures of install then please share. Thanks.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 18:11   #107
BHPian

Arul,

That sounds interesting. When you post pictures, please do post some with the light falling on ground, so we can see the effect. Also if you can compare on light intensity when it hits the ground comparing with OEM, it will be nice information. I have also thought of putting LED lights to conserve energy. I never liked the idea of RE of going to traditional lighting instead of the new gen energy efficient LED ones. At least it could've brought features from TB 500 (including clock display, fuel efficiency etc.)
mkovuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 10:56   #108
BHPian

I am yet to take pictures of the LED light and its beam. Sorry about it. I have been having busy week ends for a while and I need to do that in the late evenings.

In the mean while I found a crack in the front tyre a while back. I have done 11,400 Km and decided to change the tyre. I would have loved to go with the Pirellis but I am leaving on a road trip to Sathyamangalam tomorrow and there isn't enough time to source it. Therefore I decided to go for the CEAT. 100/90, R18 Milaze. Changed it yesterday and I find that the steering is a lighter than before and not sure if it is because of the reduced grip levels of this tyre. Rode to my office covering a distance of 15Km. Being a city traffic I couldn't find much of a difference otherwise. Will update after my ride this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-wp_20160324_08_44_43_pro1.jpg  

Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-wp_20160324_08_45_13_pro1.jpg  

arulpeem is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 21:15   #109

Hey Guys, I got my GT Green in the first week of March, and so far its been really good. I even went on a ~300km road trip after the first service.

For the last couple of days though, I've noticed that the bike is idling at 1500rpm, usually it idles at 1000rpm. Has anyone else experienced this? The ride is fine though and my riding in only 20 kms a day, home to office and back and in traffic. The traffic is definitely not clutch and gear and friendly.

Could this be a vacuum leak? I'm wondering if its something else other than a leak because the rpms have not gone up too much. Any ideas guys?

I'll be taking it for a ride tomorrow morning, Kanakapura Road, Bangalore to Coffee Day on Tumkur Road using NICE road. Any one interested in joining? Would be at Kanakpura Road NICE entrance at 6:30am

PS: I'm a slow rider, riding after a very long time, still learning the ways of the bike.
chopra.dhruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 12:10   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopra.dhruv View Post
Hey Guys, I got my GT Green in the first week of March, and so far its been really good. I even went on a ~300km road trip after the first service.
Congratulations on your ride. You will get to love it more and more as you ride.
For me the idle rpm has always been around 1000. I am not sure why this should happen. I suggest you take it to the service station to check it. Try fuelling her at a different fuel pump, preferably a COCO. This will rule out dirty fuel related issues. Have a safe ride
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 20:25   #111

Went to the service station at the Madivala Lake location, their guy Nadeem was super helpful.

Turns out that a pipe was loose and it was idling high because of that. Nadeem also pointed out that the bend pipe had significantly changed color, indicating that something was overheating. He got the bend pipe changed and aligned properly.

All of this cost me exactly 0. Must say service was really good.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:29   #112
BHPian

I had something similar twice or thrice! I don't know what is called but the air vent pipe at the engine block because of heat develops cracks and leaks out. The pipe is shortened and refixed or is replaced. Vexed with this repeating, the last time I had enough electrical tape taped on it and had since had no issue.

Congratulations on the purchase. It's a wonderful bike. But like all Enfield vehicles, doesn't come trouble free! Constant maintenance is a must.
mkovuri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 09:33   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
I had something similar twice or thrice! I don't know what is called but the air vent pipe at the engine block because of heat develops cracks and leaks out.
Hi Can you please post the photograph of the same? I haven't had the problem even after riding 500 Kms in a day. Still I would like to check it out and be prepared.
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 12:34   #114
BHPian

Sure will do when I get to come. It has nothing to do with ride being longer. In all my occasions it was within city, not in the long rides i did, including one for 400 kms in sizzling heat.

Mallik Kovuri
mkovuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 14:53   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Therefore I decided to go for the CEAT. 100/90, R18 Milaze. Changed it yesterday and I find that the steering is a lighter than before and not sure if it is because of the reduced grip levels of this tyre. Rode to my office covering a distance of 15Km. Being a city traffic I couldn't find much of a difference otherwise. Will update after my ride this weekend
Hi arul, what is your initial feedback on the new Ceat tire? Any issues with the grip so far? Are you maintaining the recommended pressure or have you tried experimenting with it?

How is the new 7" headlight performing? I am very happy with my LED set up, I use it sparingly but when called to use, they do a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
Sure will do when I get to come. It has nothing to do with ride being longer. In all my occasions it was within city, not in the long rides i did, including one for 400 kms in sizzling heat.

Mallik Kovuri
Looking forward to your post Mallik, I'll check on my bike as well if this is the case.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 15:05   #116

See the attached image, that was the pipe which was replaced for the high idling issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Initial Ownership Review: Royal Enfield Continental GT-img_6474.png  

Last edited by chopra.dhruv : 27th April 2016 at 15:23. Reason: grammar fix
chopra.dhruv is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 15:33   #117
BHPian

Quote:
For the last couple of days though, I've noticed that the bike is idling at 1500rpm, usually it idles at 1000rpm. Has anyone else experienced this?

Could this be a vacuum leak? I'm wondering if its something else other than a leak because the rpms have not gone up too much. Any ideas guys?
dhruv mate first of all congrats on the green CGT and welcome to the RE family. The green(reminiscent of British Racing Green) colour on the CGT looks smashing. This same phenomenon of high rpm idling occurs in Tbird500 as well. You will see this issue on Tbird500 threads on this very forum. It happened with my Tbird500 as well. That pipe is called the air breather pipe and it develops cracks due to poor quality of material used (looks like RE is still sourcing it from the same vendor despite of this perennial issue with other EFi 500cc models in their stable). Like mkovuri's bike my air breather pipe too was chopped and fixed but I got it replaced in the subsequent service.

Quote:
See the attached image, that was the pipe which was replaced for the high idling issue.
This is what exactly I also did and many other members too have done this. But IMO it is a temporary fix as the quality itself is not up to the mark. The high rpm may come back to haunt once the air breather rubber develops cracks. We need to find a DIY fix for this, the technique suggested by mkovuri mate looks worth a try.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 27th April 2016 at 15:43.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 19:15   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Hi arul, what is your initial feedback on the new Ceat tire? Any issues with the grip so far? Are you maintaining the recommended pressure or have you tried experimenting with it?
How is the new 7" headlight performing? I am very happy with my LED set up, I use it sparingly but when called to use, they do a great job.
Hi Neil, I did a 1000 Km trip last month during the good Friday holidays a day after I changed the tyre.
I found that the front tyre tends to lock up earlier than with the Pirelli. Other than that I didn't find much of a difference and I am happy with it. My speeds don't test the tyre to the limits, I suppose. I have not tried different pressures. IThe last section from Sathy to Hasanur has a good climb in the hills with a lot of hairpin bends, 14 I think. The grip was good on the turns and I could maintain good speed in the corners. So far so good. I am keeping the pressure between 20 and 22 psi; 20 on town and 22 on highway rides.
May be I will look at the CEAT when I change the rear, provided I keep the bike.
My Himalayan has arrived at the dealership and will go for registration tomorrow. If all goes well should get it in a day or two.

I am happy with the LED setup. Couldn't test it on dark highways since I didn't get to ride in the late evenings. But in the city definitely it throws more light than the halogen.

I will post a photo along with the Himalayan's headlight once I get it. It also has the same wattage, though the reflector seems to be different.

Quote:
Hi Thanks mate. I will check my bike tomorrow to see if there is any damaage.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 12:37   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Neil, I did a 1000 Km trip last month during the good Friday holidays a day after I changed the tyre.
I found that the front tyre tends to lock up earlier than with the Pirelli. Other than that I didn't find much of a difference and I am happy with it. My speeds don't test the tyre to the limits, I suppose. I have not tried different pressures. IThe last section from Sathy to Hasanur has a good climb in the hills with a lot of hairpin bends, 14 I think. The grip was good on the turns and I could maintain good speed in the corners. So far so good. I am keeping the pressure between 20 and 22 psi; 20 on town and 22 on highway rides.
May be I will look at the CEAT when I change the rear, provided I keep the bike.
My Himalayan has arrived at the dealership and will go for registration tomorrow. If all goes well should get it in a day or two.
Wow, thats quite some riding that you are doing Arul! Hats off to you. Good to hear real world feedback about the Mileaze. For regular real world usage, the different Ceat tires seem to do a good enough job. I used to maintain 27 - 28 PSI at the front when I had the Ceat tire on and it worked well for me. Congratulations on the Himalayan, I hope you will maintain an ownership thread for that as well.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, will check on my bike as well. We are riding tomorrow to DD hills, I just posted the details on the Sunday Morning rides thread.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 11:20   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
We are riding tomorrow to DD hills, I just posted the details on the Sunday Morning rides thread.

Neil mate, just subscribed to that thread. Will try to join you on your next ride. Have a great ride!