Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 22nd October 2014, 02:54   #1
BHPian

Default Your favourite GP & TT riders

Hi all

I couldn't find a thread for this topic, so I thought I'd start one - of all the GP and TT riders that you have seen, who are your favorites? I'll begin with a few of mine:

1. Joey Dunlop - Absolute legend, arguably the best road racer of all time. I've only seen him in recorded footage and documentaries, and I always wished we had more/better footage of him riding. For those of you that haven't seen him ride, take 10 minutes out of your day, watch this video of him hurling his Honda RS850R around the Isle of Mann TT circuit in 1983 on cold tyres, and bask in the reflected glory of a motorcycling god. It is, quite simply, beyond belief.

2. Mick Doohan - Absolutely dominant in his heyday, ruthless perfectionist who represented the pinnacle of the 2-stroke 500cc era. All the more remarkable for having had to battle past a nearly career ending crash where he almost lost his leg, had impaired movement in his right foot ever since, switched to a thumb operated rear brake setup to compensate and took a year and a half to get back to full fitness before sweeping all before him for the next five.

3. Kevin Schwantz - That No.34 Lucky Strike Suzuki was probably every neutral's favorite bike on the 500cc grid. Phenomenally talented and gutsy rider, outstanding in the rain, won far beyond the capabilities of his bike. Regularly started and finished races with broken wrists, fingers, and even a cracked collar bone, IIRC. Huevos that clanged.

4. Luca Cadalora - He never did as well in the 500cc category, but was lord of all he surveyed in the 250cc class. Master of the art of sitting on the tail of the leader and letting him do the hard work before swooping at the very end to claim the prize. Wonderful strategist and exponent of the principle of winning the race in the slowest possible time.

5. Valentino Rossi - Arguably the greatest of them all, though old timers might point to D'Agostini. His story is not yet done though.

So, those are some of my favorites. Who are yours?

Last edited by Silverflash : 22nd October 2014 at 03:19.
Silverflash is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 17:44   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Your favourite GP & TT riders

Am a big Rossi fan! If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend the movie 'Fastest'. Available on iTunes, Netflix etc.

And if you want to watch something completely I-N-S-A-N-E, who can forget Catalunya '09

Greatly respect Mick Doohan too for his sheer determination. Hats off to his grit & focus.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 19:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The ones I was fortunate enough to watch racing on the TV (in no particular order)

# Marco Simoncelli
# Troy Bayliss
# Ben Spies
# Casey Stoner
# Guy Martin
# John McGuinness
# Valentino Rossi
# Marc Marquez

Anyone racing even in the National rounds gets my utmost respect, the ability they have (to ride) I know, I would not be able to, just that the names I have mentioned, I recalled these immediately & that anyone racing in WSBK, IOMTT or Moto-GP are of special talent. God Bless them all.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 01:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am a big Rossi fan!
And if you want to watch something completely I-N-S-A-N-E, who can forget Catalunya '09
Can't thank you enough, GTO, for this clip.
I am a Rossi fan too, however have missed watching a lot of races.

This 4-Rossi-Minutes gave me goosebumps. I feel more like a MotoGP fan than F1.

Sorry for the OT post, but thanks again.
[Especially for sharing the link other than on YouTube, because YouTube doesn't open at work]
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 17:25   #5
BHPian

Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, VALENTINO ROSSI!!!!

Am a huge, huge fan - and the fact that he's still going pretty strong. Arguably the GOAT, and love the fact that the only rider in the history of the sport to win back to back premier class races on different machinery.

Be it Max Biaggi, Sete Gibernau, Jorge Lorenzo, Casey Stoner, Loris Capirossi, and even Marc Marquez, he has ruthlessly beaten them all, over a career now spanning almost two decades!. Unparalleled, and that too in such a dangerous sport.

Can't ever forget Welkom 2003 where he won the opening race on a much inferior Yamaha, or Philip Island where he beat the field by more than 10 seconds to win after penalized by a yellow flag.

Truly, a legend beyond compare and one of my biggest heroes, across sporting disciplines.

Last edited by Parth46 : 24th October 2014 at 17:27.
Parth46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 18:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since my childhood I have been fan of bike racing and F1 racing. I was a regular follower of Colin Edwards during Super-bike times. Nowadays MotoGP is one of the best bike races held in the world and I am a BIG all time fan of Valentino Rossi from the day I started watching him race.

Also hats off to couple of them for their racing skills they project during the races like Jorge Lorenzo, Marc Marquez, Nicky Hayden and Danny Pedrosa.
fusionbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 11:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

My favourites in no particular order:

1) Casey Stoner. This guy could ride, and how!
2) Valentino Rossi
3) Marz Marquez
4) Marco Simoncelli (Oct. 23rd was his 3rd death anniversary. #SuperSic)
5) Jorge Lorenzo

And Catalunya, '09, I have the race on my computer and watch it whenever I am bored.

And if you're looking for something similar, try this year's Catalunya!

And if you need any reason to look forward to a MotoGP race more than an F1 race these days,

The excitement that MotoGP brings is just not found in F1 anymore! :(

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 25th October 2014 at 11:38.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 12:04   #8
BHPian

Hi all, and thanks for contributing your thoughts to this thread!

Lots of Rossi fans here, which is to be expected. Many thanks for all the clips from MotoGP that have been shared! Agree completely that MotoGP is way more exciting as a spectator sport than F1. This isn't just nowadays either - on average, races in MotoGP have always been closer and see-sawed more than F1 races, with much less chance of seeing a procession to the finish line.

I was disappointed when the change was made from 2-strokes to 4-strokes, though. I understand why it happened (commercial and environmental concerns), but feel like something indescribably wild and untamed was lost when the sport turned away from the savage power delivery and immense flickability of the 500cc beasts that ruled. In my mind, those bikes are and always will be without equal!

This is one of the reasons for which Rossi is the only one of the current crop I rate among the legends - I remember watching him in his first 125cc season, and it was clear that he was special. Burning through both lower classes and showing his class in the 500cc class was great, but he has also shown supreme adaptability and willingness to flex with technological changes as the sport has evolved.

The age at which he entered the sport will probably mean that his records when he retires will be almost untouchable. Except, of course, for the big blank spot that exists in most GP riders' resumes - The Isle of Man TT. This is where D'Agostini scores over all others.

If Rossi races and wins there even once, I will have no hesitation in accepting that he is the GOAT, bar none. Until then, the jury's out.
Silverflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 19:52   #9
BHPian

@ GTO thanks for sharing the awesome video. As like many of the others my favorite is also Valentino Rossi a.k.a the 'Doctor'. An apt nickname he earned for his clinical finishes.

I do not recollect any other Moto GP driver testing for a Formula -1 Team and being applauded for it. When Rossi did test with Ferrari in 2006, he was hailed by the living legend of F1 i.e. Michael Schumacher. I so hoped to see him drive on the F1 Track but he never really let go his passion for two wheels.

And going by the 2013 & 2014 season, Marc Marquez will surely re-write all the history books. A look at his carrier in Moto GP so far :

Starts : 34
Wins : 17 (50%)
Podiums : 28 (82%)
Poles : 22 (65%)
Fastest Laps : 21 (62%)

For sure your expression will be
MadAbtCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 20:24   #10
BHPian

I have been following MotoGP from the start of the 4-Stroke era in the early 2000s. For sure, Valentino Rossi has proved his mettle time and again. But if you put aside the sheer amount of MotoGP titles any rider has won and talk about riding talent; the only other rider in the past decade, who had the passion and skills to go toe-to-toe with the "Doctor" was undoubtedly Casey Stoner.

Yeah, he has won just 2 World titles compared to Rossi's 9 overall titles. But, you would have to agree with me that no rider could ride that Ducati MotoGP machine the way Stoner used to ride especially during the 2007 and 2008 Season. The Ducati GP machine was considered a hard nut to crack. The bike would be a rocket on straights but the Desmosedici GP7 lacked front-end feel. The sight of a rider losing the front of the Ducati machine and tumbling down would be all too familiar. His team mate Loris Capirossi struggled with the bike all season. While, Casey would ride around problems. For him there was no limit, he rode the bike the way it demanded to be ridden, to the point of 'crash or win'. Thus, winning the 2007 season for Ducati. He later moved onto Honda Repsol team for the 2011 season and won the title in his Debut season.

But, what really spoke volumes about Stoner's talent is if you consider the "Rossi years" at Ducati from 2011 to 2012. Rossi and his crew were brought in to address the need for change and spearhead development in an ambitious project, but still failed to solve the long-standing front-end issues. I have taken into account the fact that Rossi suffered a major crash in 2010 and he was not in his best form in the 2011 season for Ducati; Still undergoing surgeries on his shoulder. But, the 2012 season was no different. Rossi and his fellow team-mate NickyHayden, with all their expertise could not develop the Bike.

That two world champions couldn't win a single race spoke volumes and it was no surprise Rossi rejoined Yamaha when his contract ended. Casey was an amazing talent and I really miss seeing him in action.
CoolBlueBiker is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 21:25   #11
BHPian

Amazingly, no one has mentioned Wayne Rainey or Eddie Lawson.
PratikPatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 22:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
Amazingly, no one has mentioned Wayne Rainey or Eddie Lawson.
+1 for the shout out to Rainey and Lawson. Rainey was smoothness itself, somehow managing to make his Yamaha look silken even in bad conditions. His crash was one of the great tragedies of the sport.

I'd also throw Wayne Gardner into the mix. Distinctive rider and character.
Silverflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 08:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking of legends, there are plenty, Lawson, Barry Sheen, Rainey, Gardner, Hailwood, Doohan, Agostni, Kenny Roberts, Joey Dunlop & many many more.
I mentioned names of those, whom I saw racing.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 09:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I mentioned names of those, whom I saw racing.
So did I... I started watching MotoGP the year before Doohan's crash. Rainey was champion, and Lawson, Gardner, Schwantz et al were racing. Kenny Roberts had retired, so never saw him race.

I remember Doohan's form being absolutely incredible the year of his injury. Even after missing almost the whole season after Assen, his initial points lead was such that Rainey only overhauled it in the final race or so. Lord alone knows how many titles he would have won if not for the injury, but as Doohan himself said, "If my aunt had b@//$, she'd be my uncle."

As for Lawson, he was still racing then, but past his peak. The one shining moment for him came in a later year when he won a remarkable race on a Cagiva by starting on intermediate tyres in the wet, biding his time until the track dried out, and then riding the wheels off the rest of the field and overtaking Doug Chandler for the win. Wonderful last hurrah from a great champion.

Such memories... watching the riders wrestle those 500 cc screamers around "high-side Hockenheim" in the wet is a particular favorite.

Last edited by Silverflash : 26th October 2014 at 09:08.
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 09:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

In MotoGP, my absolute favorites are Rossi and Stoner. Yamaha is my favourite manufacturer and Rossi brings immense joy. And who can forget Stoner drifting it sideways through the corners. His retirement was a big loss for the sport. Though the races are very engaging on two wheels unlike F1, its a shame that I don't get to watch MotoGP much these days.

TT is a different story altogether. They are all demigods. Our thread here. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intl-m...-no-other.html (The Isle of Man TT - A racing spectacle like no other!)
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote