Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 9th April 2015, 13:00   #31
BHPian

Default Re: KTM RC390 - Initial Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
That is a nice looking tank pad! Where did you get and how much did it cost? My tank also has started seeing lot of scratches already need a tank pad desperately!
I believe it is a Keiti. Costs 1199/-. planetdsg have them. Their dealers and their website stock them. Quality is top notch.
Sojogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 14:01   #32
BHPian

Does anyone has any info on the slipper clutch equipped RC having landed in the showrooms in their respective cities.
I Visited CP Showroom(Delhi), they have slipper clutch (SC) Dukes ready to go, but no info on RC (sc). RC (minus SC) is readily available though, no waiting period required. And they have no info on the slipper clutch equipped RC's launch. One might think they are trying to clear off the old stock.
Any news would be of great help.

(P.S: leaning towards Duke, more and more now)
mehuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 14:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
Does anyone has any info on the slipper clutch equipped RC having landed in the showrooms in their respective cities.
I Visited CP Showroom(Delhi), they have slipper clutch (SC) Dukes ready to go, but no info on RC (sc). RC (minus SC) is readily available though, no waiting period required. And they have no info on the slipper clutch equipped RC's launch. One might think they are trying to clear off the old stock.
Any news would be of great help.

(P.S: leaning towards Duke, more and more now)
If you really want the RC only, then you can buy a non-SC RC and then get a slipper+assist clutch fitted on to it. Getting the assembly of course will be a challenge (lots of guys already in queue and trying for it).

I have personally not ridden a SC Duke, but guys who have say there is a lot of difference between those and the old Dukes. Enough to warrant the extra 6-7K you need to spend.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2015, 23:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikast_ap View Post
I have been waiting for this thread to come up, I am really confused, should I go for the RC390 or wait some time for a bigger 600, I own a 5 year old P220 and somehow I feel RC390 wont be a deserving upgrade, stand alone it is just epic, but for someone upgrading from a a motorcycle as capable as the P220, it becomes a confusion (and Yes, I am an absolute corner carving fan )
1. You can reach 140+ kmph at ease in a 390 and 160+ kmph on a long stretch
2. RC390 carves corners like hot knife on butter
3. I have ridden P220, and RC390 is definitely a league above

Having said that, 600+ cc does belong to an even bigger league, but more expensive as well. RC390 is absolute hoot to drive, corner carving is uber fun and every time I get off the bike, I have a smile plastered to my face.

I am also planning to upgrade to a 600cc or more (again, after I gave up on my GT650N). I have never felt down on a RC390 (or the D390)
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 03:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
If you really want the RC only, then you can buy a non-SC RC and then get a slipper+assist clutch fitted on to it. Getting the assembly of course will be a challenge (lots of guys already in queue and trying for it).

I have personally not ridden a SC Duke, but guys who have say there is a lot of difference between those and the old Dukes. Enough to warrant the extra 6-7K you need to spend.
Thanks doc. That's always an option.
The showroom did not have SC Duke for test ride, so even I can't comment on the difference. One thing though was that the clutch did appear to be very soft on the display bike compared to the RC and older Duke. I don't know whether that is because of slipper assist or whether ktm has worked on the clutch itself.
This is the first time I am conflicted while buying a bike. It's most likely going to be the RC( inclination towards faired bikes). But Duke looks such a complete package.
Old 25th May 2015, 15:07   #36
BHPian

Guys, I too went ahead and bought an RC 390, two weeks back and the SC was also one of my concerns. I emailed official KTM India :"Contact Us" Email ID and got the following reply:

" Dear Mr. Xaero,

At the onset, we thank you for your interest in KTM!

In response to your query, we would like to inform you that the KTM RC 390 does not come with a slipper clutch. Please find attached the product brochure for your reference.

The 2015 KTM 390 Duke comes fitted with a slipper clutch.

We hope the above information will aid you in your decision making.

We look forward to seeing you as a part of the KTM community soon!

Regards,
Team KTM India"

So ,all in all the RC 390 is still not coming with a SC , its only in the Duke.

Last edited by xaero : 25th May 2015 at 15:07. Reason: Change of name
xaero is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2015, 18:18   #37
BHPian

Thanks xaero, that clarifies a lot. What I can't figure out is why is ktm holding back on putting the slipper clutch on the RC when they know that besides it's obvious advantage it will also make the clutch operation lighter and smoother. But as doc said, retro fitting one is always an option. I would go with that.
Cheers
Old 25th May 2015, 20:01   #38
BHPian

KTM's strategy of providing slipper clutch on the cheaper, street fighter Duke and not providing it on the more expensive, sportier RC is a bad one.
The RC should have been introduced with a slipper clutch from the start. That would have been a proper differentiating factor vs the Duke. Providing slipper clutch on Duke from 2015 like what they did now after RC's launch would have been ideal.

Last edited by theredliner : 25th May 2015 at 20:05.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2015, 14:44   #39
BHPian

It has been one year now with the Blade now and with that pocket rocket, time is literally flying away! Looking one year back, the decision to go for KTM RC390 was driven primarily by the need for a bike which would serve as a weekend ride and allow to break away from the monotony of commuting daily on trusty workhorse, the Discover 135.

One year ago, when I had taken delivery of Blade and rode 50 kms from showroom to home, that was actually the longest distance I had ever ridden on a bike!! So clearly, long distance touring was nowhere on the horizon. However, with one year of togetherness, many things have changed and I am glad they have been all good!!

Considering that the bike is ridden by me alone, strictly on weekends and coupled with fact that my job entails lots of travel, the odo has just rolled past a very modest 5500 kms. (I am sure Blade is rolling eyes disdainfully in garage)

But the year has been full of joyful surprises. There are absolutely no complaints over reliability front and this is almost as good as fill it, shut it, forget it. Of course, I lube the chain every 500 kms without and clean it every 1000-1500 kms. That and apart from warming up the engine for -34 mins every time I start off and utilizing the time to check all fluids and critical linkages, there hasn't been any worry.

However, time has now come for some preventive maintenance and changing of a few parts and this is where several doubts are filling up my mind.

First, the oil change - I have already changed oil twice going with Motul 7100 20W50. Last change was around 1500 kms so I believe I have 2000 kms before the next change. However, I rode a couple of friends' Duke 390s and was literally blown away. Those bikes have 12k and 17k on odo and the throttle response and refinement of engine was in totally different league. My RC has shown significant improvement in refinement since I rode out of showroom but I am confused as to how much of a difference can there be between Duke and RC. To add to confusion, both friends are using Shell Advance 10W40 and are all praise for it, making me lean towards it for next change.

Should I go for Shell Advance 10W40 or stick to Motul 7100 20W50 or something else?

Second, the spark plug change - Friends again swear by NGK iridium spark plugs and attribute the bike's nature to that. I am again confused if I do need to change spark plug at this point and if yes, is it worth to go for NGK?

Third, anything else that should be changed - Tyres are keeping up well considering my limited riding and sedate one at that, so I don't see any reason to worry. Oil filter is anyways changed with every oil drain but how frequently should one change the air filter? I have it cleaned every service.

As a parting shot, adding a pic from one solo ride. Blade has gone under the scalpel (pun intended) and lost some flab from the rear!!

KTM RC390 - Initial Ownership Experience-img_20151004_073224_hdr_eidt.jpg
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 20:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Should I go for Shell Advance 10W40 or stick to Motul 7100 20W50 or something else?

Second, the spark plug change - Friends again swear by NGK iridium spark plugs and attribute the bike's nature to that. I am again confused if I do need to change spark plug at this point and if yes, is it worth to go for NGK?

Third, anything else that should be changed - Tyres are keeping up well considering my limited riding and sedate one at that, so I don't see any reason to worry. Oil filter is anyways changed with every oil drain but how frequently should one change the air filter? I have it cleaned every service.

Good to see the bike is going strong

As for the engine oil, I have been using Motul 15w50 300v since 5000 kms, its over 10k now(last changed at 10k) and things do feel a lot smoother. Though many have recommended against it, but I believe its worth a shot. Do try it and see for yourself.

Air filter is a different issue. If you are not riding in dusty conditions, leave it to service guys. It will be replaced at 7500 kms. But having it cleaned at 3-4000 kms wouldn't hurt.

I haven't fiddled with the spark plug, So if you decide to change please do post the feedback

Ride on
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 22:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
Good to see the bike is going strong

As for the engine oil, I have been using Motul 15w50 300v since 5000 kms, its over 10k now(last changed at 10k) and things do feel a lot smoother. Though many have recommended against it, but I believe its worth a shot. Do try it and see for yourself.
The friends I referred in previous post have already tried 300v and prefer shell advance over it. 300v being considerably expensive, I am not very sure. However, I think I will take the plunge now.

Quote:
Air filter is a different issue. If you are not riding in dusty conditions, leave it to service guys. It will be replaced at 7500 kms. But having it cleaned at 3-4000 kms wouldn't hurt.
Since I ride only on weekends, it is only on nicely roads nearly 90% times. I do however get the air filter cleaned every service which is around 3000 kms apart.

Quote:
I haven't fiddled with the spark plug, So if you decide to change please do post the feedback
I am not convinced spark plug will be able to make significant improvement. I am waiting for someone to prove me otherwise!
ksameer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2015, 23:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

A few thoughts on spark plugs.

In a single cylinder engine a misbehaving spark plug can cause a number of problems and because only one cylinder is producing the power it will usually be quite noticeable.

If the engine becomes difficult to start, seems to misfire at any engine speed or begins burning more fuel, the spark plug is the first part to be suspected.

If there are no apparent problems such as these, the spark plug is fine.

Because spark plugs are easily replaced and many are relatively inexpensive people often change them when it is unnecessary. That's fine as long as the replacement is the proper heat range and is set with the correct gap at the electrode.

It is not fine if the heat range is incorrect or the gap is not set to the engine makers specification.

There has long been a number of companies who advertise that their spark plug will increase power, increase fuel economy and a host of other wonderful sounding claims but most, if not all of these claims are pure hogwash. The only thing they really do is to sell gullible people spark plugs that are no better or even worse than the spark plugs produced by the major spark plug manufactures.

There is also some confusion about the spark plugs with rare earth electrodes.

IMO, these are not needed for the typical motorcycle engine unless the manufacturer of the motorcycle engine specifies them.

Rare earth spark plugs do last a long time and this is important in automobiles which typically are driven long distances at high speeds so they accumulate high amounts of mileage. Many of these auto's also have located their spark plugs in rather inaccessible places making changing them difficult.

This can make the extra expense worthwhile.

Such is not the case with many motorcycles which are often not ridden at high speeds for long distances and as I mentioned, changing the spark plug(s) is relatively easy.

I guess the bottom line is, if the rider wants to spend a small amount of money to be absolutely sure their motorcycle spark plug is working as well as a spark plug can work then, go ahead and change it for a standard spark plug.
If the engine is running fine, fill up your fuel tank and take the motorcycle for a nice, enjoyable ride.
ArizonaJim is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 12:58   #43
BHPian

[quote=Should I go for Shell Advance 10W40 or stick to Motul 7100 20W50 or something else?]

Hey man, good going! One year done uh, such an enjoyable bike right. I'm just echoing some other's thoughts here regarding engine oil. Just go for 15W50 300 V. It's in a league of it's own if you ask me. Buy this, change oil and forget it. 5000 km is too small an interval to change oil this good but if you're ok with this, you're gold.

How are the Metzeler's holding up? I've done 11500 on them so far and they're good for another 4000 km i've been told.
VedderTheFixer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 14:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VedderTheFixer View Post
...Just go for 15W50 300 V. It's in a league of it's own if you ask me. Buy this, change oil and forget it. 5000 km is too small an interval to change oil this good but if you're ok with this, you're gold.
300v is not a long interval oil. It was designed for racing and won't last you more than 5000 kms in our conditions, in road use.

Motul 7100 is for road use and have very long drain interval and can do 8K-10k ,on a change, in our conditions.

Also, would recommend 7100 over Shell any day.
Sojogator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 16:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
First, the oil change - I have already changed oil twice going with Motul 7100 20W50. Last change was around 1500 kms so I believe I have 2000 kms before the next change. However, I rode a couple of friends' Duke 390s and was literally blown away. Those bikes have 12k and 17k on odo and the throttle response and refinement of engine was in totally different league. My RC has shown significant improvement in refinement since I rode out of showroom but I am confused as to how much of a difference can there be between Duke and RC. To add to confusion, both friends are using Shell Advance 10W40 and are all praise for it, making me lean towards it for next change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
300v is not a long interval oil. It was designed for racing and won't last you more than 5000 kms in our conditions, in road use.

Motul 7100 is for road use and have very long drain interval and can do 8K-10k ,on a change, in our conditions.

Also, would recommend 7100 over Shell any day.
Spot on Sojo..
Your query to Motul, and their subsequent reply eminently proves this.

Also, a drop in grade from XW40 to XW50 isn't something that ought to be done. The viscosity (Number following the W) indicates that the oil will maintain that viscosity at operating temperatures which are of the order of a 100+ degrees centigrade. Hence, an engine that is deemed to require W50 oil is fed W40 oil, a certain degree of lubrication will certainly be sacrificed.
Switching between brands, or oils with different base-oils (mineral, semi-synth, fully-synth) is fine as long as you stick to the right grade.

To cut a long story short, even if you decide to try a different manufacturer, please stick to the same grade - W50; 15W50 or 20W50 will not really make a difference, but W40 over W50 is a significant change.

Here's a link to get you started:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tip...l-how-it-works

Cheers !

Sundar
MavericK46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote