Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 17:46   #106
BHPian

Re: My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
Hi Sriram,

I wanted to extend my wishes and congrats to you on your D390 thread, but somehow I couldn't. So let me take this opportunity to say congrats on owning/riding D390, RC390, GT650, etc..
Thanks @Shan_ned!

Quote:
Were you riding towards Chennai on 29th Dec ? In fact I was also on the same road towards Vellore in the early hours. I crossed an RC390 at Soolagiri (some time around 8:00AM) and the rider was wearing a white helmet. I stopped for a break some where before Bargur (around 20 to 30 kms before Vaniyambadi toll plaza) and the same RC crossed me at that point. In fact there was an heavy drizzle after Krishnagiri on that day.
That was me! I had fun riding that day - I probably outraced the drizzle in Krishnagiri ! I had a breakfast break inside Krishnagiri town (AVS Vasavi (Introduced by my best friend, who happens to know Krishnagiri very well) - I am a sucker for the Pongal there). I filled my fuel (again) there and headed to Chennai.

Quote:
In case if you happen to cross Vellore next time, there is one very good petrol station which was recommended to me by many of my friends staying there. [..]
Thanks a lot! This is super useful information! Will try this place out next time.

Quote:
NOTE: By the way, I remember you saying about taking the RC for a track ride. Hope you are able to do that very soon and post your experience.
Unfortunately, couldn't hit the tracks yet. Hoping to do that in the next couple of months. I really can't wait to try the RC390 in the tracks!!!
Old 14th January 2015, 21:24   #107
Senior - BHPian

Damn, another one? And that too in a thread with updates? Sriram, you have changed, my friend . Its lovely to see your updates and hats off to your passion for biking.

Congratulations on the RC, i have heard rave reviews about it but havent had a chance to ride it yet. Am afraid to take TDs, else will end up emptying my savings account yet again.
Old 15th January 2015, 00:07   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Damn, another one? And that too in a thread with updates? Sriram, you have changed, my friend -. Its lovely to see your updates and hats off to your passion for biking.
Nice one!

You'll live 100 years - Was just thinking about you a couple of days ago !

I am trying to change and that's for sure - Using all my energy to keep the thread updated!

Quote:
Congratulations on the RC, i have heard rave reviews about it but havent had a chance to ride it yet. Am afraid to take TDs, else will end up emptying my savings account yet again.
You can ride mine anytime you want! No assurances about the savings account stuff though - The bike is indeed addictive
Old 15th January 2015, 11:57   #109
Senior - BHPian

Here's some info for RC fans , my dealer in Madurai says the Akrapovic Exhaust is available for 80,000 rs but to get full HP gains an ECU tuning must also be done which would cost another 20,000 rs and right now this tuning can only be done at the Bangalore ASC.

So obviously this upgrade is not VFM but at least KTM owners get this option to upgrade and retain warranty as well.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 15th January 2015 at 11:59. Reason: Grammatical mistake
Old 15th January 2015, 13:33   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

You'll live 100 years - Was just thinking about you a couple of days ago !

I am trying to change and that's for sure - Using all my energy to keep the thread updated!

You can ride mine anytime you want! No assurances about the savings account stuff though - The bike is indeed addictive

Lol almost 5 years if I am not mistaken and we are still to ride together, speaks volumes about my levels of lazyness .
Thanks for the offer bro, planning to fix my basics at CSS this jan. Resolution for the year is to ride more (more than 30 Kms a month, my current avg lol)

Heard the bottom fairing scrapes at acute lean angles? Is that true? Also, the batt placement seems scary.
Old 16th January 2015, 16:25   #111
BHPian

Quote:
The bike is indeed addictive
Just wondering if you still have the Duke 390? Or is the RC 390 good enough to completely replace the Duke? I guess as probably the only person on earth who owns both, and as the only person to have taken the RC 390 touring, you can answer this question - does the RC 390 offer more smiles than the Duke in almost all conditions?
Old 20th January 2015, 00:30   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Lol almost 5 years if I am not mistaken and we are still to ride together, speaks volumes about my levels of lazyness .
Thanks for the offer bro, planning to fix my basics at CSS this jan. Resolution for the year is to ride more (more than 30 Kms a month, my current avg lol)

Heard the bottom fairing scrapes at acute lean angles? Is that true? Also, the batt placement seems scary.
It has been a while for sure :-) When is CSS? Any details? My ride is mostly to office - About 30 kms a day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Just wondering if you still have the Duke 390? Or is the RC 390 good enough to completely replace the Duke? I guess as probably the only person on earth who owns both, and as the only person to have taken the RC 390 touring, you can answer this question - does the RC 390 offer more smiles than the Duke in almost all conditions?
I have still both the bikes ! You make me feel very happy and stupid at the same time

For me, RC390 is pretty much capable of doing what the Duke does and more. Duke sounds and feel a little more civil (only on a relative scale) and has an upright seating position.

RC390 is very committed for some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Here's some info for RC fans , my dealer in Madurai says the Akrapovic Exhaust is available for 80,000 rs but to get full HP gains an ECU tuning must also be done which would cost another 20,000 rs and right now this tuning can only be done at the Bangalore ASC.

So obviously this upgrade is not VFM but at least KTM owners get this option to upgrade and retain warranty as well.
Thanks for the info! It is quite expensive! Do you know about any performance gains?

My only (small) complaint on RC390 is that its exhaust sound is nothing to brag about.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 23:22   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info! It is quite expensive! Do you know about any performance gains?

My only (small) complaint on RC390 is that its exhaust sound is nothing to brag about.
Some Duke 390 owners abroad have got this exhaust with the engine mapping and they claim to have got 5bhp more out of it. It's not much gain but it seems a believable amount.

I too feel it's expensive, but on the bright side it would make the bike look and even sound much better and you still get to maintain your warranty on the bike with this mod.
Old 23rd January 2015, 01:24   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has been a while for sure :-) When is CSS? Any details? My ride is mostly to office - About 30 kms a day!

Two batches, 30th jan and 6th February. I am doing batch 1. Riding anywhere this weekend? Let me know .
Old 23rd January 2015, 16:26   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Some Duke 390 owners abroad have got this exhaust with the engine mapping and they claim to have got 5bhp more out of it. It's not much gain but it seems a believable amount.

I too feel it's expensive, but on the bright side it would make the bike look and even sound much better and you still get to maintain your warranty on the bike with this mod.
Thanks for the info, stanjohn! It is too expensive for me. Will stay with the current exhaust! 1L is too much to pay for a better sound!

Quote:
Two batches, 30th jan and 6th February. I am doing batch 1. Riding anywhere this weekend? Let me know .
I just checked and they are all full :-( - I'd have definitely come if there was a slot!

And, this weekend will be spent in some glorious trainings - Will ping you next weekend if I am in town! Looking forward to seeing your N250!
Old 23rd January 2015, 19:29   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked and they are all full :-( - I'd have definitely come if there was a slot!

And, this weekend will be spent in some glorious trainings - Will ping you next weekend if I am in town! Looking forward to seeing your N250!
Yeah they got full pretty quick, i was lucky to have seen it when slots were still open. Next weekend I would be at the CSS , after that then. Hopefully I would be able to showoff some of the learning
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 12:52   #117
BHPian

Sriram
A request, i am currently riding a unicorn and have daily run of approx. 58 kms every day + once a month rides in range of 200 kilometers

Would like to increase the long rides to the range of around 600 kilometers and hence looking for upgrade with below purpose

a) bike should give average of 40 kmpl when driven sanely - when racing even 25 kmpl is ok

b) can cruise comfortably between 100 to 120 for 2 to 3 hours

c) good quality as i normally retain bikes for atleast 6 years

d) price below 3 lakhs

Thanks Deepak
Old 5th February 2015, 13:24   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipak1406 View Post
Sriram
A request, i am currently riding a unicorn and have daily run of approx. 58 kms every day + once a month rides in range of 200 kilometers
That's a lot of riding!

Quote:
Would like to increase the long rides to the range of around 600 kilometers and hence looking for upgrade with below purpose

a) bike should give average of 40 kmpl when driven sanely - when racing even 25 kmpl is ok
The ONLY bike that I rode in recent past that gave close to 40 kmpl was R15. None of the rest (Karizma, CBR250R, Duke 390, RC390, GT650N) gave anywhere close. This requirement also rules out high displacement bikes (more than 300 cc)

Quote:
b) can cruise comfortably between 100 to 120 for 2 to 3 hours
Z250 / D390 / RC390 come to my mind. I have done 140 kmph steady cruising in the last two bikes.

Quote:
c) good quality as i normally retain bikes for atleast 6 years
Now I can't say about the KTMs. I have had them for about a year, and unfortunately, I don't think they'll last for 6 years. You need to go Japanese!

Quote:
d) price below 3 lakhs

The closest is Z250 - Good range (~30 kmpl * 17l = 510 km/fill)
Will last forever (Proven twin from the Ninja 250R)
Very good build quality
Good range and better mileage than the rest <3L bikes

I would recommend N300, but thats approx 4L budget.

My recommendation:
1. N300 (if you can stretch your budget)
2. Z250 (You still need to stretch your budget)

If you don't worry about FE, choose RC390 / D390 !

You'll not go wrong with any of the above choices!

Didn't suggest Inazuma / CBR250R since I am not sure if they are still being sold. Also, the new gen bullets should fit in your budget. My experience with them is pretty limited so I can't really say much about them.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 18:41   #119
Senior - BHPian

Theres a slew of new upgrades on the latest RC390 , slipper clutch , spongier seats and a tiny cover on the sides of front suspension.
Old 13th November 2015, 16:02   #120
BHPian

Quote:

I would recommend N300, but thats approx 4L budget.

My recommendation:
1. N300 (if you can stretch your budget)
2. Z250 (You still need to stretch your budget)

If you don't worry about FE, choose RC390 / D390 !

You'll not go wrong with any of the above choices!

Didn't suggest Inazuma / CBR250R since I am not sure if they are still being sold. Also, the new gen bullets should fit in your budget. My experience with them is pretty limited so I can't really say much about them.
What's your feeling on comfortable tourer as D390 and how do you think it compares with RC 390 and or the Mahindra Mojo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks