Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 14th November 2015, 01:44   #121
BHPian

Default Re: My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
What's your feeling on comfortable tourer as D390 and how do you think it compares with RC 390 and or the Mahindra Mojo.
I was thinking I should update this thread.. and now I got a question

For me, surprisingly, I don't feel tired and don't get lower back pain if I ride RC390. Because, the riding position doesn't put all the weight on the lower back, which added to hard suspension and hard seat is very uncomfortable on the D390

Within city D390 rules. Overtaking anything is possible, and in open roads, D390 is perfect bike to have fun in the city. For people who don't get back or bu* pain, D390 can be good for highways as well.

I ride more on highways in RC390 than D390 (due to problem specified above)

The 6th gear of both the bikes (which have identical engines and gearshifts) is TALL. So it is ideal for cruising as well. Both bikes do 140+ kms cruise. (Only on open highways with clear roads please)

Coming to negative aspects, both engines are vibey, and in lower speeds you can feel the vibrations in the handle bar, seat and everywhere. There are some nagging rattles which Mekhri Circle KTM has never managed to fix in last few services. (More in D390)

If you are not more of a 'refinement' oriented person, and don't mind the sound, D390 or RC390 is a great bike. Choosing one of them should be a matter of personal preference. Choose anything what is comfortable.

As of Mojo 300, I am not a fan of its looks. May be I'll change my perception when I see it.

I was too tempted to pick up an R3 or N300 recently. But, I decided against since both don't have the safety net of ABS. This feature alone has saved me from a couple of potentially nasty and not so nasty falls.

I decided No ABS == No Buy

Mojo doesn't have ABS. So, I won't pick it up.

Anyway my fascination with single cylinder engines (including BMW's) is going down with every passing day. I prefer high-revving twin cylinders or inline-4s now and yearn for some refinement in the bikes that I use. (I am definitely getting old)

I actually went to Chennai and back in my RC390 and I found it supremely comfortable (except for the stupid stupid range the bike gives). That's my pick of the lot (D390, RC390, Mojo)!

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 14th November 2015 at 01:46.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2015, 11:36   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
For me, surprisingly, I don't feel tired and don't get lower back pain if I ride RC390. Because, the riding position doesn't put all the weight on the lower back
I did a mega ride yesterday and the only body parts crying for mercy are my wrists. There is certainly no back pain and wrists are taken care of on smooth highways but the moment roads get bad, wrists take a beating. I believe D390 would fare better in this regard.

Quote:
I was too tempted to pick up an R3 or N300 recently. But, I decided against since both don't have the safety net of ABS. This feature alone has saved me from a couple of potentially nasty and not so nasty falls.

I decided No ABS == No Buy
ABS is a life saver and there is absolutely no point debating this. Having lived with RC390 and having survived many scary moments when cattles decide to surprise you with not so friendly advances, I will never recommend anything without ABS.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016, 21:55   #123
BHPian

Quote:

For me, surprisingly, I don't feel tired and don't get lower back pain if I ride RC390. Because, the riding position doesn't put all the weight on the lower back, which added to hard suspension and hard seat is very uncomfortable on the D390
Hi Sriramv,

I have been using my father's Classic 350 for the last 35K kms and I've been thinking of getting a new bike for myself. I did a lot of study and stortlisting and it has boiled down to the Duke and the RC. 390s. Until this day, I thought I was the only person who suffered from lower back pains after riding the Classic. Because according to everybody else, Royal Enfields are supposed to be the most comfortable bikes out there. Now I know we're two.

I usually ride to the office at 5 in the morning through decent roads. 99% of my odo readings will be from the daily commute to the office (35km, one way). But i will also be doing long runs on extremely wide open highways but those are going to very rare. Even though the long runs are super rare, I still have a mind to be comfortable while doing the same. Which is the only reason why the Duke is till on my list. And that's when you reminded me of the lower back pain.

So how do you rate long riding on the RC?? You, being a guy with lower back pains, are you comfy cozy in the RC? Ok Ok, comfy cozy might be asking for a little too much but Hey, I'm shelling out hard earned money and I want make all the possible right decisions.

Duke is the cheaper and also the more "Practical" (whatever that means ) but Oh God, I love the RC!!! Should I listen to my heart and go ahead with Suno Sabki, Karo Apni policy as someone put it so aptly in this very thread? Or should I listen to my brain? My brain makes the rational decisions, but he's been wrong before. Thanks..
msrsooraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 17:39   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
Hi Sriramv,

I have been using my father's Classic 350 for the last 35K kms and I've been thinking of getting a new bike for myself. I did a lot of study and stortlisting and it has boiled down to the Duke and the RC. 390s.
Both are great choices!

Quote:
Until this day, I thought I was the only person who suffered from lower back pains after riding the Classic.
I have some sort of congenital problem that triggers once in a while - I generally don't have lower back pain. But I get it bad when I get it/

Quote:
So how do you rate long riding on the RC?? You, being a guy with lower back pains, are you comfy cozy in the RC?
Surprisingly, long rides are comfy on RC than Duke. (Esp no pressure on lower back) and also windshield protection from wind blasts. For short rides, Duke is sublime (I like 200 over 390 for short rides - I'll definitely take one 200 when it comes with ABS)

Quote:
Duke is the cheaper and also the more "Practical" (whatever that means ) but Oh God, I love the RC!!! Should I listen to my heart and go ahead with Suno Sabki, Karo Apni policy as someone put it so aptly in this very thread? Or should I listen to my brain? My brain makes the rational decisions, but he's been wrong before. Thanks..
Based on my experience of owning both RC and Duke, I'll try to make it simple for you

1. If you have bad traffic days, avoid RC. It is too painful in traffic
2. In your route if you don't encounter bad traffic and mostly open roads, enjoy the RC experience - Nothing comes close to focussed driving on curvy roads with the RC!
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 19:36   #125
BHPian

Quote:
1. If you have bad traffic days, avoid RC. It is too painful in traffic
2. In your route if you don't encounter bad traffic and mostly open roads, enjoy the RC experience - Nothing comes close to focused driving on curvy roads with the RC!
And that only opens up the next batch of my worries. My daily commute includes a 40km ride to the office (one way). I work on shifts. So i ride to the office in the morning at 5AM when there aren't even ghosts on the road.. Do remember that the roads i ride through connect a major town to one of the greatest city in Kerala. The problem starts when i return at 3PM. You can imagine the traffic..

Now that i'm all the more confused, i might boil down my reasoning to items like projector lamps and get the RC for the love of God!!
msrsooraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 16:00   #126
BHPian

Do any of you use your D390 for daily commute with pillion? And sometimes with the kid in front? I found it strictly OK for pillion and impossible with kid.
farhadtarapore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 16:38   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Do any of you use your D390 for daily commute with pillion? And sometimes with the kid in front? I found it strictly OK for pillion and impossible with kid.
Kid in front is a bad idea on the KTMs -- RC and Duke The tank is too high. Avoid.
anilp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 17:49   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
I almost always ride alone - Pillion in D390 can accomodate a kid. It is too risky in any bike, esp in D390 to have a kid in front.

Probably safer in RC390 (You'll be pressing the kid onto the fuel tank because of the aggressive position)
Old 21st October 2016, 09:05   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorque View Post
Not even a rattle from the fairing.

Mine and another friends RC (@balenopower) fairing has been rattling right from the next day from delivery.
The rattle is mostly from the fairing being poorly replaced after servicing. Sometimes the service personnel don't pay the needed attention to the alignment and slotting of the fairing (which is a bit tricky on the RC390) while installing them. Got mine taken care of the last time I visited the service center. It was just a matter of putting them in their proper slots and tightening the bolts. Now the only thing bothering me is the shift lever (which is fine as of now) coming loose.

Also I've noticed she sounds a bit harsh when I put regular petrol but runs smooth as butter when filled with the likes of Shell V Power. Also mileage figures are better on premium fuel. Came from Mumbai to Pune, a distance of 187 kms on about INR 300 worth of petrol. But in Pune's bumper to bumper traffic the economy is in the mid 20s.
Vivek Jayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 11:41   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Also I've noticed she sounds a bit harsh when I put regular petrol but runs smooth as butter when filled with the likes of Shell V Power. Also mileage figures are better on premium fuel.
I honestly did not believe the quality of fuel would have such drastic effect on performance but when I brought my bike to Mumbai, I was in for a rude shock. At home town, I would fill only at a trusted pump but regular unleaded. When I got to Mumbai, I found a good IOCL COCO pump and continued filling regular unleaded.

However, within months, I was seeing massive reluctance of bike to rev up. So much so that going past 7k seemed near impossible. I then switched to xtra premium and after a few tankfuls, finally everything is back to normalcy. I am once again redlining in every gear!!
ksameer1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 19:29   #131
BHPian

Recently I noticed that my MID is rattling. It's evidently loose enough that I can shake it with my hands. What do I do? And I feel the chain is slacking way too much. I can hear it clearly whenever I ride the bike. Is this normal? When I took it to the KTM service centre at Wagholi, Pune, the mechanic there said it's normal and the slack I had was fine. Something tells me they're being lazy.

Last edited by Vivek Jayan : 29th October 2016 at 19:33. Reason: Grammatical error.
Old 30th October 2016, 19:49   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Recently I noticed that my MID is rattling. It's evidently loose enough that I can shake it with my hands. What do I do? And I feel the chain is slacking way too much. I can hear it clearly whenever I ride the bike. Is this normal? When I took it to the KTM service centre at Wagholi, Pune, the mechanic there said it's normal and the slack I had was fine. Something tells me they're being lazy.
The MID usually moves up and down. But that shouldn't rattle.

Chain slack should be fixed - Can you post a pic to check if it is too much. It is good to lubricate the chain once every 500 kms.
Old 30th October 2016, 20:03   #133
BHPian

Quote:
The MID usually moves up and down. But that shouldn't rattle.

Chain slack should be fixed - Can you post a pic to check if it is too much. It is good to lubricate the chain once every 500 kms.
The movement of the MID doesn't seem normal. I noticed it after a ride from Pune to Aurangabad and back. Maybe it didn't catch my attention before. Thanks. I degrease and lube the chain and sprocket on time. In fact I just did it today after my ride got over yesterday. I'll post a pic of the slack as soon as I can. When in proper tension does the chain feel taut? Mine touches the swingarm right now.
Old 31st October 2016, 10:34   #134
BHPian

Touching the swingarm is definite no-no. There will be a lot of noise as well. Yours seems to be a case needing tightening of the chain..

As for MID, it does move, but it is definitely not loose.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote