Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th March 2015, 13:41   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Guys,

I have a question. What glue do we use to fix the woodruff key to the slot, any idea?

Also I have heard the Pulsar classic key is a perfect fit. does anybody know any other bike from where this can be swapped?

Pramod
I don't think the woodruff key needs any glue. In the Royal Enfield UCEs, the woodruff key is just pushed into place. The magneto wheel slides over it and locks it in place.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 13:45   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I don't think the woodruff key needs any glue. In the Royal Enfield UCEs, the woodruff key is just pushed into place. The magneto wheel slides over it and locks it in place.
regards adrian
Thanks for the prompt reply, I was going through the RDD forum and I saw a discussion about usage of some sort of glue, my guess was similar, I too thought the key slots in perfectly but since I lost 4-5 keys(they all had a bit of play) I was confused if some glue is needed.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 09:09   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
The glue is just to make sure the key doesnt slip outta the slot on the crank while putting in the drum. Because its a magnet, it can get tricky putting it in without dislodging the key. There is key from another 2 wheeler thats an almost perfect fit. Ive used it in the past on a bike and its still holding. You'll find info on rdd.
Is it a pulsar Classic Key? What kind of glue do we use? araldite of anything else?

Pramod
Old 11th March 2015, 09:36   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Is it a pulsar Classic Key? What kind of glue do we use? araldite of anything else?

Pramod
I cant remember which key but its not from the pulsar series. Clean the surface and put some super glue. It just needs to hold the key in place long enough for you to slip the magnet drum on.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2015, 10:29   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I cant remember which key but its not from the pulsar series. Clean the surface and put some super glue. It just needs to hold the key in place long enough for you to slip the magnet drum on.
I posted this question on the RDD facebook page and 2 people responded, They said the pulsar classic key is a perfect fit. Its a difficult item to get and by the time I am out of office the shop closes. I will use super glue once I have the key.

Pramod
Old 12th March 2015, 11:28   #186
Senior - BHPian

My Friend has bout not one but 3 woodruff key for the bike, its from a pulsar classic, I have not yet laid my hands on it so I don't know if it will be a straight fit, but eager to get home and start the work today.

He wants a statue to be erected in his honour, I am planning to get him sized today

Hopefully the bike will start today. Once the bike is started, I need to relocate the RR unit, the flasher relay to the side cover on the right. then I am also planning in using a gafa tape to seal the loom.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 19:58   #187
BHPian

Quote:

I am also planning in using a gafa tape to seal the loom.

Pramod
Pramod, By gafa tape do you mean the cloth like adhesive tape ? I have been on the look out for one in the shops of Trivandrum. Any idea where to find one ?
regards adrian
Old 12th March 2015, 21:38   #188
Senior - BHPian

B
Quote:
Pramod, By gafa tape do you mean the cloth like adhesive tape ? I have been on the look out for one in the shops of Trivandrum. Any idea where to find one ?
regards adrian
It's not available in Trivandrum, I looked everywhere and finally bought from eBay for 1000 bucks, it's available in the gulf though, try and see if someone coming from there can Carry it for you. If your usage is limited I can give you some.

Updates on the bike, I lost 2 out of 3 woodruff keys and then I realised the screws holding the stator were wrong type due to which there was a play. Fixed the stator and the magnet, it's now locking in Place and is super silent.

I should have listened to the pros and left the carbs alone. The fueling is not right it starts once in a while and before I could adjust something it dies, I am not sure what to do but I am very close to dropping the towel. I nearly killed myself kicking the bike for 15 minutes non stop I am definitely getting too old for this shit

Ideas welcome, the carbs are rebuild by none other than me obviously, all jets and atomiser is new it's holding the vacuum but looks like I should have waited for Sydney sir.
Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 12th March 2015 at 21:41.
Old 13th March 2015, 19:59   #189
BHPian

Quote:
B

It's not available in Trivandrum, I looked everywhere and finally bought from eBay for 1000 bucks, it's available in the gulf though, try and see if someone coming from there can Carry it for you. If your usage is limited I can give you some.
Pramod, Thanks for the advice. I might need a whole tape for the wiring loom of my Bullet and am going to pester my cousin who is in the Gulf. I really appreciate the help offered.
regards adrian
Old 14th March 2015, 00:08   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pramod, Thanks for the advice. I might need a whole tape for the wiring loom of my Bullet and am going to pester my cousin who is in the Gulf. I really appreciate the help offered.
regards adrian
The whole tape is about 15 Mts, I think I can give you 1 loom length, if you need more you can buy from eBay or from gulf. Feel free to ask

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 17:14   #191
Senior - BHPian

Started the bike today, carburettor float hight was incorrect. It now starts at the first kick. The bike sounds angry, very angry new pipes are a must else I will attract a lot of unwanted attention. Finished the wiring. I have installed the kill switch, but I am disconnecting the ground to both the ignition coils when the kill switch is open, does the job but wanted to know if it might cause any issues in future.

Presently the bike starts without the ignition switch need to connect that as well, if all goes as planned, it might be rideable by tomorrow, fingers crossed

Pramod
Old 14th March 2015, 17:44   #192
BHPian

Quote:
B

I am not sure what to do but I am very close to dropping the towel. I nearly killed myself kicking the bike for 15 minutes non stop I am definitely getting too old for this shit

Ideas welcome, the carbs are rebuild by none other than me obviously, all jets and atomiser is new it's holding the vacuum but looks like I should have waited for Sydney sir.
Pramod
Hahahhha! I burst out laughing on reading this. I can understand where you are coming from been there so many times. Also a good idea to check for leaks from the carb manifold and gaskets bw the barrel and casing. Being a newly built motor there could be seating issues. All the best!!!
howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2015, 20:56   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Hahahhha! I burst out laughing on reading this. I can understand where you are coming from been there so many times. Also a good idea to check for leaks from the carb manifold and gaskets bw the barrel and casing. Being a newly built motor there could be seating issues. All the best!!!
Thanks for the wishes, I will ensure proper run in.

The fun in the build is back. Got the tank fixed, triple T bolt is hitting on one side, will invert the bolts. Will take her for her maiden ride tomorrow. I am just happy today

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 16:06   #194
Senior - BHPian

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1426414888.388330.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  415.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1426414924.797547.jpg
Views: 2472
Size:  386.2 KB

Finally she runs and drives(rides), need to run her in. Will take her for a ride in the evening, it's been 4 months, Crazy 4 months since the restoration was started met all kind of people, nuts, thugs, passionate, crooks but finally I was able to put her back to her pristine glory. I will have to slow down the spending a bit on her. Now focusing back on my first love the Mitsubishi Lancer! Next would be a resto mod on that.

Guys don't think this chapter is over and I am closing it and this thread would go dead. I will be posting some incredible pics, some videos some questions about the mods planned, some troubleshooting.

I can still hear the rumble in my head

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 19:53   #195
Senior - BHPian

Better pics

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1426428899.977331.jpg
Views: 2495
Size:  375.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1426428922.571794.jpg
Views: 2620
Size:  353.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1426428955.266126.jpg
Views: 2420
Size:  366.5 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1426428991.778163.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  322.5 KB
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-imageuploadedbyteambhp1426429015.616405.jpg
Last image will be my wallpaper till I take better pics

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote