Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 17th March 2015, 23:11   #211
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I have those orange lens, It's fixed now. Took her out for a spin she was backfiring bad, adjusted the airscrew a bit to make the left cylinder rich and it was sorted, did a small 5 km ride and came back home.

Meter parts are available at meter repair shops, if you need needles, lens on the metal strips they are available, those orange lenses in side the meters don't come anymore, replica meters are available for 2k but I have personally seen them, they look very cheap. My decision of getting the meter bowls plated had gone wrong, it has two 8 size bolts, one of which looks polished and the threads are missing, I know the female slots can be helicut can the bolts be helicut? The other option is to chop it and spot weld a 8 size bolt to it.

Pramod
No need to weld, get a 8 size bolt with 2 nuts one to hold it to the cup and the other for the bracket, that's what i have done.
Last Sunday i opened both my meters for cleaning and fixed them beck but the problem is still there.
The RPM needles dances a bit and gives you a fair idea about the RPM.
The speedo although moved while i checked it during cleaning by rotating it with a screw driver but doesnt when connected to a cable. Checked the cable too by rotating the front wheel and thats fine. I doubt if the cable is slipping in the meter square grove!
kcj3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 08:50   #212
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj3b View Post
No need to weld, get a 8 size bolt with 2 nuts one to hold it to the cup and the other for the bracket, that's what i have done.
Last Sunday i opened both my meters for cleaning and fixed them beck but the problem is still there.
The RPM needles dances a bit and gives you a fair idea about the RPM.
The speedo although moved while i checked it during cleaning by rotating it with a screw driver but doesnt when connected to a cable. Checked the cable too by rotating the front wheel and thats fine. I doubt if the cable is slipping in the meter square grove!
If you need to bolt it to the cup then the bolt which is present needs to be drilled out. I will get that fixed this weekend anyways. The RPM meter dances a bit always, I have not seen a single RD without this problem, that is the issue with mechanical meters. There is a small coil like winding. get that replaced or use generous amount of WD 40 on the RPM meter internals followed with some chain lube. Look at the slot on the meter any meter guy should be able to fix that, everything in the meter is replaceable. Earlier meters parts were available at authorized Yamaha outlets. if you cannot find anyone let me know, I can help you get that fixed here and send it back to you.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 09:02   #213
Senior - BHPian

I got a set of modern meters made by my meter guy. Pulsar internals including the tacho in RD meter cups. Perhaps you should look at something similar.

Name:  DSC00646.JPG
Views: 3658
Size:  142.9 KB
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 09:19   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I got a set of modern meters made by my meter guy. Pulsar internals including the tacho in RD meter cups. Perhaps you should look at something similar.

Attachment 1350768
That is nice, very nice. Now I need those for my Bike as well. Let me know where can I get the meter cups from. How much was the oval all cost of these meters?

Pramod
Old 18th March 2015, 15:03   #215
BHPian

Lightbulb Re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress

Quote:

Attachment 1350768
Quote:
That is nice, very nice. Now I need those for my Bike as well. Let me know where can I get the meter cups from. How much was the oval all cost of these meters?

Pramod
I think we are getting somewhere with the meters, thanks to SunnyBoi, i hope this setup is cost effective.
A tested setup help others retrofit too.
Was the old Pulsar RPM Meter Cable driven too?
Pramod, we can use the same Cups and change is internals, i think i am getting too much optimistic in excitement!
Old 18th March 2015, 15:21   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think we are getting somewhere with the meters, thanks to SunnyBoi, i hope this setup is cost effective.
Pramod, we can use the same Cups and change is internals, i think i am getting too much optimistic in excitement!
I don't want to use the same cups, I wanted this as an extra set, so looking for the cups alone. I am running Avenger hubs, the avenger speedo cable was modified to fit the RD meter end, most of the mechanical speedo/tacho cables are the same the only difference is in the couplers, but even if the RPM meter is analogue and cable driven, wont it give out wrong reading as 1 one rotation the 2T completes 1 stroke while the 4S completes 2.

I am not sure if the readings would be accurate, but worth a try as old pulsar classic units are available in plenty.

Pramod
Old 18th March 2015, 17:12   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The photo is 8 years old; I got them made in 2007 when RD meter cups were available in plenty. Nowadays I heard they are quite rare. The meter guy beamed with pride when the showed me that he gave me the original circular rubber pieces on the top

Its a Pulsar electronic tacho. It does show double on most 2 strokes but I had the RDD CDI; with the wasted spark off the RPMs would show the right value. If you have any other CDI, it will show double.

It cost me 1500 or so for the entire setup back in 2007. I'm not sure how much it would cost now, just the tacho unit of the pulsar would cost 600rs new.

I had 18inch wheels and the speedo was calibrated for a 18inch wheel. I'm sure any meter guy would be able to recalibrate it to a 17inch one.

This is how the meters looked mounted on my RX

Name:  DSC00647.JPG
Views: 3170
Size:  112.5 KB

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 18th March 2015 at 17:16.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 18:09   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a Pulsar electronic tacho. It does show double on most 2 strokes but I had the RDD CDI; with the wasted spark off the RPMs would show the right value. If you have any other CDI, it will show double.
I though so, kc3jb is on points so this setup would not work, but you can always explore other mechanical tachos from old 2 strokes. I do not have a wasted spark out in the CDI so cannot get a tacho out.

Pramod
Old 18th March 2015, 18:12   #219
Senior - BHPian

Mod note: Post edited for fixing Quotes. Please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
but you can always explore other mechanical tachos from old 2 strokes. I do not have a wasted spark out in the CDI so cannot get a tacho out.

Pramod
You might want to check out on the KB 100's Tachometer which was mechanical and cable driven, question is would you find a brand new one?

Even a used one should be good enough.

Else you might want to look at importing that piece from Singapore as it is readily available but might cost you XXTRAA

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2015 at 18:25. Reason: Mod note: Post edited for fixing Quotes. Please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 18:33   #220
Team-BHP Support

Missed all the action but glad to see the bike is firing as it should! Congrats ahh that sweet smell of 2 stroke.

As far as the number plate goes, get those IND plates and use 3M double side tape to stick to that plate under the headlamp. If you want add screws.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 18:42   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mod note: Post edited for fixing Quotes. Please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

You might want to check out on the KB 100's Tachometer which was mechanical and cable driven, question is would you find a brand new one?

Even a used one should be good enough.

Else you might want to look at importing that piece from Singapore as it is readily available but might cost you XXTRAA
The tacho in my bike works, not for me but the pulsar set looked sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Missed all the action but glad to see the bike is firing as it should! Congrats ahh that sweet smell of 2 stroke.

As far as the number plate goes, get those IND plates and use 3M double side tape to stick to that plate under the headlamp. If you want add screws.
I don't want to hide the face plate, have two options, stick it to the mudguard or add a bracket which extends from the mud guard.

Pramod
Old 18th March 2015, 18:47   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I though so, kc3jb is on points so this setup would not work, but you can always explore other mechanical tachos from old 2 strokes. I do not have a wasted spark out in the CDI so cannot get a tacho out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Shogun tacho is electronic, has a round faceplate and should fit inside RD meter cups. Same for Shogun speedo for a matching set. Shogun tacho should show right values with normal CDIs.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 20:35   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
most of the mechanical speedo/tacho cables are the same the only difference is in the couplers, but even if the RPM meter is analogue and cable driven, wont it give out wrong reading as 1 one rotation the 2T completes 1 stroke while the 4S completes 2.
Don't get what you are saying (for mechanical tachos). In any case, IIRC, the tacho cable was geared down 1:5.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 20:57   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Don't get what you are saying (for mechanical tachos). In any case, IIRC, the tacho cable was geared down 1:5.

Regards
Sutripta
I just meant the speedo/ tachometer cable which drives the worm inside the tachometer is usually of the same dimensions, the couplers which connect them are different.

Pramod
Old 18th March 2015, 21:04   #225
BHPian

Pramod, Yes My RPM meter is working ok with a bit of dancing which we all can live with. Only problem is the Speedo.
When I rotate it with Screw driver, it show movement.
When I rotate the wheel The cable moves too but when i screw up the cable to the Speedo all goes kaput!
I will try another cable now.
So the Pulsar retro fit can hold for some time then.
Another "Dokha"
I need to concentrate on the oilpump too, Carburetors are missing those nozzles.
Would love to kill that mechanic who turned this bike into a total retro fitted jugaad.I am still working on this puzzle before i can go for a complete rebuilt

Last edited by kcj3b : 18th March 2015 at 21:09.