Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 3rd June 2015, 09:22   #301
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress

Had a small RD meet this Sunday. The other one belongs to Vikram from Trivandrum who is settled in US. Someone has rightly said an RD owner should never ride another RD. Its extremely free revving, not at all loud and quite fast.

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1278.jpg

For the people who had noticed the bullet in the backdrop is a 1957 model bullet.

we then went to our best kept secret's house. He is my kind of Guy, loves to restore bikes in his living room. A retired bank manager from the early 2000s and a big British bike lover from the 70s. Settled in Kochi with his wife, spends his week there and comes to Trivandrum on weekends to restore bikes. very down to earth man, Some statements he made that day " please wear your slippers inside, there are a lot of things you can get hurt with". "Since there is no one here I can only offer you cigarettes " (We said no of course)

Some pics of one of his almost complete restoration

Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1291.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1292.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1293.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1294.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1295.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1296.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1297.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1298.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1299.jpg
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1300.jpg

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 3rd June 2015 at 09:28.
pramodkumar is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:55   #302
BHPian

Must say that the paintjob looks really nice in sunlight, a few more pics would be welcome! Hope that the running-in is coming along fine.

Is that a 50's Matchless G80? Looks like a damn nice restoration!

Which is that other motorcycle (frame) behind the Matchless?

Also could you post a picture of that 57 bullet too, I've always been intrigued by the 50's models, the only one I've seen is on the cover of P.Snidals service manual.

Regards,

BOV

Last edited by B O V : 3rd June 2015 at 12:56.
B O V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 13:14   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Must say that the paintjob looks really nice in sunlight, a few more pics would be welcome! Hope that the running-in is coming along fine.

Is that a 50's Matchless G80? Looks like a damn nice restoration!

Which is that other motorcycle (frame) behind the Matchless?

Also could you post a picture of that 57 bullet too, I've always been intrigued by the 50's models, the only one I've seen is on the cover of P.Snidals service manual.

Regards,

BOV

The running in is going fine crossed close to 500 KMs, but there is a slight piston slap and a leak from the left head. The bike is also leaking a few drops of oil(gear box oil) from the left side of the engine, looks like the o ring in the neutral switch is the culprit, I have not looked at it in details. I will do a proper photo-shoot soon, I am just held up in a lot of stuff.

The matchless is completely restored by our man; including paint and pin striping, the decals are also original. only thing he outsources is plating work, rest all is done in house.

That's a BSA in the background, he also has some more in various stages of restoration. His personal ride was a Honda cd 200, in blue which he sold and replaced with a yellow one, which is undergoing restoration.

I don't have any more pics of the 57 bullet but I can ask the owner to send some pics, he has total 13 bikes including 1 RD, 2 RKs and remaining bullets. 2 bullets are from the 50s. He is looking to add some more to his collection.

The great thing about meets is you get to meet awesome people from the brotherhood.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 3rd June 2015 at 13:16.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 09:27   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post

Regards,

BOV
There you go, his entire collection.

Name:  IMG_1313.JPG
Views: 2043
Size:  104.5 KB
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1314.jpg
Name:  IMG_1315.JPG
Views: 2015
Size:  67.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1316.JPG
Views: 2004
Size:  56.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1317.JPG
Views: 1997
Size:  71.6 KB
Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress-img_1318.jpg
Name:  IMG_1319.JPG
Views: 2000
Size:  115.6 KB

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2015, 17:50   #305
BHPian

Pramod,
Any person can take time to come in sense after getting faint by seeing you post. What a lovely collection. Thanks for sharing.

Has RE ever produced twin exhaust pipe (as shown in pic) with single cylinder?

Any BHPian can guide me about a thread (on team-bhp or other forum) about maintaining more than five bikes?
These old bikes required to run frequently. If we do not ride them there will be problem of dead batteries, engine oil will lose viscosity, carburetor get kaput and even petrol will become useless after one month.
How to overcome these common problems?

Sorry for Off topic on a RD thread.

Last edited by (Alok) : 4th June 2015 at 17:51.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 07:56   #306
BHPian

Amazing collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Pramod,
Any person can take time to come in sense after getting faint by seeing you post. What a lovely collection. Thanks for sharing.

Has RE ever produced twin exhaust pipe (as shown in pic) with single cylinder?

Any BHPian can guide me about a thread (on team-bhp or other forum) about maintaining more than five bikes?
These old bikes required to run frequently. If we do not ride them there will be problem of dead batteries, engine oil will lose viscosity, carburetor get kaput and even petrol will become useless after one month.
How to overcome these common problems?

For the first part of your question about RE producing twin exhausts, well only one that comes to mind is the RE Constellation 700 twin.
So i suppose the one in the pick above with twin exhaust is a mod job, and quite a good one. I have seen lot of these in Karol bagh, in most cases the header is modified by drilling to accomodate extra exhaust which is connected to original exhaust outlet. Thus both exhausts work. But performance takes a toll.
mehuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 10:13   #307
BHPian

Isnt the Enfield the Constellation Twin?
djpeesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 11:56   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post

No worries about going off topic, actually I was also wondering how having more than 5 bikes work. I have 2 bikes and I feel honestly one of the bike is upset due to less usage, but I have started doing these 10-20 KM Night rides just for ensuring they are used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
So i suppose the one in the pick above with twin exhaust is a mod job, and quite a good one. I have seen lot of these in Karol bagh, .
That's a genuine twin, look at the head. This guy is crazy he had 1 each some time back now his passion is to he 2 of each. He is also looking to add another 2 RDs and he wants to build them in such a way that it puts everyone else's RD to rest(that a story for another day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Isnt the Enfield the Constellation Twin?
Yes it is indeed and A 1949 if I am not wrong.

Pramod
Old 5th June 2015, 14:33   #309
BHPian

Twin cylinder enfield? or an enfield with a head that has twin exhaust outlets? What are you'll discussing?
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015, 17:08   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Twin cylinder enfield? or an enfield with a head that has twin exhaust outlets? What are you'll discussing?
can you clarify both, cause when it comes to Enfield's I don't know the mods available

I Heard there was a 700 interceptor and a 700 constellation. I initially thought it was a twin and looking at his facebook pic also thought his bike had 2 cylinders(there were 2 jugs) I could be wrong since I have not seen much.

OT: I have definitely derailed the thread now. I might have to do some evel knievel type stuff to bring it back to track :P

Pramod
Old 5th June 2015, 20:20   #311
BHPian

There was a Meteor 700 as well. The enfields in the above pics are all single cylinders.

Until about a decade ago(when i moved away from Enfields), the market was flooded with twin exhaust outlet heads. Made in delhi, i was given to understand. It was a bolt on and the ones that i saw were pretty OK quality wise. All you had to do was change the mounting points on the RHS exhaust to be able to mount it on the LHS. It even came with those crown/bezel things that we used to get in the CI500's if the 80-90s.
james is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 05:59   #312
BHPian

This is a bit off topic but yes, Royal Enfield made single cylinder motorcycles with twin exhausts back in the 1930's.
They used one inlet valve and two exhaust valves with individual exhaust ports.

During that time period there were several British motorcycle companies that offered single cylinder models with twin exhaust.
As it turned out, there was no great increase in performance from having the twin exhaust design and by 1940 Royal Enfield had stopped offering them.

By the 1950's, twin exhaust 4 cycle singles were the (almost) forgotten dinosaurs of the past.

Of course, this was all back in the day when the 2 stroke engine was considered as a cheap, low powered unit that some proud British motorcycle makers refused to even offer.

They were a far cry from the awesome 2 strokes like the Yamaha RD250, RD350 and the Kawasaki H1 and H2 triples of the 1970's and '80's.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 15:27   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Someone has rightly said an RD owner should never ride another RD.
Why did someone rightly say that??
msrsooraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 03:45   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
I have no idea.

A very good friend of mine rode two of them but this was back in the 1980's.

One was a stock RD 350.
The other one was a race prepped RD 250.

He raced and won on both of them in different classes.

As I say, this was back in the 1980's when the Kawasaki 900 and Honda 750's ruled the races. Ruled the races until my friend put his RD's on the track.

The races were held at Phoenix International Raceway on their 1 1/2 mile roadcourse which consisted of a 3/4 mile of twisty infield road course and a 3/4 mile ride on much of the high banked oval.

Usually, the 750's and 900's would pull away on the standing start but shortly after they entered the infield, the RD 250 would start gaining on them.

During the course of the race, the RD would hold its position with the big bikes on the high banked oval and then start gaining and passing everything that was ahead of it while it carved it's way thru the twisty infield.
It was a rare occasion when it did not win.

OK. OK. Back to the rebuilding of this RD.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 09:52   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
When you ride someone else's RD, the shortcomings of your RD will start starring you in the eye. The RD in question was very free revving and does not misfire, Mine does. I was able to catch him and keep up with him so I am not really upset about the pickup or top end, what I am worried about is the way it reaches there. It misfires there is some more drama, its loud.

The bike in question has a keihin flat slide carb, the performance could be attributed to that, but the riding the bike had put the question in my head, more power?

Pramod