Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 10th August 2015, 17:10   #361
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Got gifted a Yamaha RD350 - Restoration in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
The color has come out a tad lighter than the original shade under any direct light source. Porting and Head work was done by Team Carbon again from Cochin. .
The photos give away little to understand the shade better but I will go by your words on that.

Porting & Head Work, does sound interesting. Any reason you did them?
Exhaust reads at 192 degrees now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
. Visor looks good in red.

Pramod

Yes Buddie it was for you
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 17:11   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post

PS: Asif, check if you can get hold of the replica for the sprocket, it will increase its looks even better.
These are rolon sprokets which are the only decent ones avaiable in the market as you know. I have a spare piece one lying at home. Do you suggest experimenting drilling out holes on the Rolon ones? Or would it affect the overall strength. I really didn't want to take chance as this has more to do with safety and reliability.
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 17:13   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am from Trivandrum, who is your friend, tell me the name.

Pramod
Rahul Roy, He's again based out of Bangalore but originally from TVM. He's actually working on his father's RD.
Old 10th August 2015, 17:13   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
home. Do you suggest experimenting drilling out holes on the Rolon ones? Or would it affect the overall strength..
No No, drilling holes not required please. You ought to have gotten them from Yambits. They have very good replicas which can be used.

You might get an NOS Sprocket Kit in Bangalore but the going prices are like
Old 10th August 2015, 17:37   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Buddie it was for you
Initially I wanted the Visor, there is one at a local shop here, but later lost interest, Its too mainstream in Trivandrum.

Quote:
Rahul Roy, He's again based out of Bangalore but originally from TVM. He's actually working on his father's RD.
His brother Raman Roy is in the group, his bike is now in running in, It was restored by Carbon completely.

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 20:46   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Exhaust reads at 192 degrees now?
Bike was running on 2nd over size piston in a sleeved set up. My long term plan was to go for a US Spec used kit which is running at 1st or 2nd oversize and then get it to the next size. So I was not keen on spending a bomb on exotic pistons from Wiseco or ART pistons in the current set up. Porting work was suggested Ansar. I went with the idea cos the set up is already at 3rd oversize and it was worth taking the risk. He had gone ahead and increased the compression also. Long story short, The bike doesn't behave like an LT. You need to ride it to believe it. I believe I took the right decision to go ahead with the porting job.

I didn't get the 192 degrees part. If you are talking about the ignition timing, I havn't touched the CDI part yet as it is still running on the CDI which came with the bike. I have the entire RDD set up ready with me which would be going into the bike whenever I get atleast a week's break.
Old 10th August 2015, 21:03   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the entire RDD set up ready with me which would be going into the bike whenever I get atleast a week's break.
tell us more about the ignition, it includes the 90/100 kit as well or just the CDI? Which version? By the way, I have added you to the group, are you getting messages?

Pramod
Old 11th August 2015, 09:04   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I didn't get the 192 degrees part.

Ook Mate, you got me mixed there, was the bore which has been ported is of US Specs?
192 is the exhaust port degree of US Specs.
Old 11th August 2015, 12:10   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Was the bore which has been ported is of US Specs?
No, Porting job was done in the Indian barrels. I am slowly collecting parts for the US Spec Conversion. I have got a good pair of Carbs, complete Clutch Assembly. I will now look for a good gearbox set up and a barrel at standard or 1st OS

Quote:
tell us more about the ignition, it includes the 90/100 kit as well or just the CDI? Which version? By the way, I have added you to the group, are you getting messages?
Pramod
Yes, Thanks alot for adding me to group. I have digital black box currently.
Old 11th August 2015, 12:27   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have got a good pair of Carbs, complete Clutch Assembly. I will now look for a good gearbox set up and a barrel at standard or 1st OS
If you have had Mikuni Carbs with your bike then they would have solved the purpose since US also got Made In Japan Mikuni Carbs and so did we. (Post 89/90 Micarb Carbs entered the scene)

Clutch Assembly is better quality when compared to Indian Clutch Basket. Hope there is not much of play which might need you to replace the cushion rubbers in them.

Gear Box, again Indian RD's came with Japanese Gearboxes and so did US Specs. You can avoid them unless you have some issues with your existing ones. (Humming Issues or Physical Damage to the Pitch).

Looks like you have a long list eh!!! Cheers...do open up your own thread and we can regularly follow it.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2015, 12:40   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like you have a long list eh!!! Cheers...do open up your own thread and we can regularly follow it.
Not a great writer by myself so thats one area I might not touch upon . I have my doubts about the gearbox. Would apprecite if you could PM me your number to get some clarity on the same.
Old 8th July 2016, 15:02   #372

@pramodkumar

Hi Pramod and all RD enthusiats

Please advise if it is alright to go size 1.25 on original bores and 1.25 piston size. Will it be too high a risk considering Indian liners. Presently my RD bores are on 1.00 and now piston slapping is becoming evident.
MaverickRD350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 12:11   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickRD350 View Post
@pramodkumar

Hi Pramod and all RD enthusiats

Please advise if it is alright to go size 1.25 on original bores and 1.25 piston size. Will it be too high a risk considering Indian liners. Presently my RD bores are on 1.00 and now piston slapping is becoming evident.
its ok to go over sized, some experts claim to go up to six over sizes, that means 1.5mm, but I have seen people going beyond that as well, there is no harm, as the bore dia increases the squish needs modification to compensate the extra compression. Its not mandatory though, you can still enjoy your bike with the stock squish.

Some updates on the bike, it has completed 1.5 years after complete restoration, its like most say not easy to maintain a s stroke monster and is a never ending money pit

I have installed the following

new rear shocks
new rear mudguard
RDD Analog CDI
New silencers
Saree Guard
Carrier
All bearings were replaced
Added a fork brace

Have ordered the following and awaiting delivery

NOS center stand from US
NOS magnet side covers
Hydraulic clutch system

works to be done

Fix the seat beading properly
Get a new chain cover(the present one is warped and paper thin)
Get a new grab handle(present one is rusted)
Get a new set of rear brake shoe
Replace the front Tyre

Some pics of the group rides and the bike.

Name:  IMG_4837.JPG
Views: 1035
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4838.JPG
Views: 1057
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4917.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5022.JPG
Views: 1044
Size:  171.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5024.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5027.JPG
Views: 1022
Size:  165.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5029.JPG
Views: 1021
Size:  163.5 KB

Pramod
pramodkumar is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 12:23   #374
Senior - BHPian

looking to convert the rear brake to disk brakes, the quality of drum brakes is the main reason I am planning a switch. I have a 5 speed rx 135, which is almost fully restored, I will start a new thread for that. The plan is to first convert that into disk and see how that goes then replicate it on the RD. If anyone has done this before on spoked wheels please share the details.

Pramod
Old 18th August 2016, 12:37   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anyone has done this before on spoked wheels please share the details.

Pramod
Ah that's an interesting upgrade that I had in mind. Good thing.

I will share you my thought process on this.

First Option: Go overseas (Google) and look out to buy the TZ rear setup which includes all the setup. They come in spokes and are a direct fit to the RD. Off course you will have to factor in the work for getting the clamps/stays welded into the chassis for the brake resorvoir, Cylinder kit.

The cons of this...First of all the setup will cost you a hell lot of money but the looks are authentic. Secondly the spares will be a challenge and are again expensive. The only good thing is it works absolutely fine and looks wise its fantastic.

Second Option: Look for new age bikes that comes with Rear Disc, predominantly RE line of products. You have the continental GT, Thunderbird & Himalayan. The TB 500 will be the best bet but the only issue is, it comes with 40 spokes instead of regular 36 that might be a bit of eye-sore from a purist thought. But its the best solution in town as of today with not much of downsides.
If you are a bit adventurous, you can cut down the number of holes on either side and make it 36 but needs a lot of engineering in terms of weight distribution to make it look good.

All the best and do keep me posted on the progress.
You will beat me to the tape for sure on this

PS: Himalayan will be too radical design considering its flat design instead of conventional design the RE TB has. New to the market and will be an issue procuring it. Again I think its 40 spokes

Last edited by ku69rd : 18th August 2016 at 12:39.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote