Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes

Old 28th September 2015, 14:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Story of Almighty Bruce! My Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet View Post
1. Charge low indicator.

If for some reason, the engine does not crank, or if u successively engage the starter 3 or 4 times in a row, the display flashes the low battery sign. My question is why does this happen? The normal flow of logic would tell that the battery is not charging well. Can anyone let me know the charging voltage for the TBTS 500? The battery i am using is an Exide that comes stock. Is there a way to increase charge? Or is it simply because Bruce is not having that a great run to charge itself?
Trumpet mate, the above issue happens when the motorcycle is left standing for long periods and used for very short runs. As a precautionary practice I charge and service the battery once a year irrespective of my riding schedule. However I have started using Amaron maintenance free dry cell(Gel type) battery on one of my motorcycles and I am happy with the way it holds up the charge for prolonged periods.

Quote:
2. Bike seems lethargic

I understand this can be a little subjective, but my overall feeling here is that the initial zest for quick pickups seems to be diminished. That normal spurt from a 500 seems missing. I don't know if it is clutch adjustment or something else.
Get your drive chain slackness checked, an over tight chain can result in poor pickup. The chain has to be adjusted properly to overcome this problem.
navin_v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 16:38   #32
BHPian

Hi Navin,

Thanks for the reply. I do take the bike out for office and cover a modest 20 -25 km daily. I was also contemplating on shifting to Amaron - i called up Amaron to see the range they had for the TB 500 and their salesfolks said they don't offer it for the 500.

So i am more interested in your model of the battery and if possible i would like to go in for the Amaron.

I will get the chain checked up. Thanks again for the help.

Trumpet
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2015, 17:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I do take the bike out for office and cover a modest 20 -25 km daily. I was also contemplating on shifting to Amaron - i called up Amaron to see the range they had for the TB 500 and their salesfolks said they don't offer it for the 500.

So i am more interested in your model of the battery and if possible i would like to go in for the Amaron.
Looking at your daily running I don't think so the battery is getting discharged due to lack of running. I would advice to get your battery voltage output checked to see it the battery is getting charged so as to rule out any alternator charging issues. I am using Amaron MF 12V 9Amp VRLA battery on one of my Standard CI 350. Off late RE has started equipping the Thunderbird 350 with Amaron MF 12V 8Amp VRLA battery whereas the Thunderbird 500 continues to use the same Exide Lead Acid 12V 14Amp battery. All I can say after using the Amaron VRLA battery is that I am satisfied with it as it holds up the charge for prolonged periods and the bike starts in first kick even after standing for a week. My mechanic told me that Amaron although has less amperage but has more cranking power than Exide.

I am sure once my OE Exide battery gives up I will go for Amaron MF 12V 9Amp VRLA battery for my Tbird500.

Let us know if the chain adjustment solves your pickup issue.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2015, 03:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Trumpet:
It's only a guess but if you've been riding in moderately dusty areas which can include paved roads, I suspect your air filter is dirty.
With 4500 km on the odometer a considerable amount of dust can accumulate in the paper air filter cartridge and if it does, the engine will have difficulty breathing.

I suggest you have a new air filter installed.
While your at it you might want to replace the spark plug(s).

I've had poor luck with the factory installed Bosch spark plug and highly recommend installing a NGK BPR6ES, Champian RN9YC, Denso W20 EPR-U, or Bosch WR7DC (note no extra letters) for the primary spark plug. These are all single electrode, low cost spark plugs.

As for the low battery charge, Royal Enfield alternators barely produce enough power to meet the motorcycles power requirements when the engine speed is below 1500 rpm.

Try to keep your engine speed above 2000 rpm while your riding. At this speed and above the alternator will produce over 14 volts even with the headlight on and this is more than enough to keep your battery charged even on a short 20km ride.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 11:16   #35
BHPian

Hi Navin and ArizonaJim,

Navin, you were spot on. The chain indeed was loose, they tightened it and set it right. The pull is back on.

ArizonaJim, I normally ride above 2000 rpm and my speed window is an average 50-55 kmph at 5th gear. My logic is to get to the 5th gear using the correct power band and then accelerate nominally. This way none of the mechanicals are hard pressed. The air filter seems fine. Also checked the voltage:

1. At ignition (when the key is turned to ignition) - the read out is 13.xx
2. Pressing the starter discharges the battery to 10.xx
3. At 1500rpm the readout is 13.85, post 2000rpm it jumps to 14.

xx - to indicate the value keeps fluctuating

thanks again...
Trumpet!
trumpet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2015, 12:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin, you were spot on. The chain indeed was loose, they tightened it and set it right. The pull is back on.
Hey trumpet mate I am glad to hear your issue of pick up has been sorted out. A chain should neither be too tight nor be too loose. One more precautionary advice about the chain. The new chain that RE uses dries up very soon, so it is advisable to spray chain lube to prevent it from premature failure. I love the old CI's which have an oil pressure breather pipe which sprays hot oil fumes onto the chain keeping it lubed all the time. Sigh! Old technology was simple and ingenious.
Quote:
Also checked the voltage:
1. At ignition (when the key is turned to ignition) - the read out is 13.xx
2. Pressing the starter discharges the battery to 10.xx
3. At 1500rpm the readout is 13.85, post 2000rpm it jumps to 14.
Your battery voltage reading is normal, the fluctuations happen when there is a load on the battery. Once the alternator starts charging the battery the voltage climbs up thereby providing enough juice to the battery. Ride Safe.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 30th September 2015 at 12:49.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 12:58   #37
BHPian

Hello folks,

What would be the ideal temperature at which a TB500 silencer runs normally? Planning to have some sort of diffusor set up incase something goes wrong.

I carefully tried touching the silencer pipe just to gauge the heat, i was extremely careful because at this heat your brain might take a little while to register that reflex action, and those milliseconds are all that determines if you still have your finger or a roasted bacon. On a second thought, i'd advise no one to do this unless they are prepared for what's in store.

Though the engine guard takes the first hit to the road, there are always possibilities that anything else can also be in the way of these super heated pipes. I am just wondering what else can be a solution to reduce the heat.

I saw the non burnable titanium wrap on royalenfiedzone.com. Does this help? Won't this wrapped around the pipe still be as hot as the pipe itself?

What are you thoughts folks? Or should I just leave it to nature?

Last edited by trumpet : 16th October 2015 at 12:59. Reason: new content.
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 15:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw the non burnable titanium wrap on royalenfiedzone.com. Does this help? Won't this wrapped around the pipe still be as hot as the pipe itself?
What are you thoughts folks? Or should I just leave it to nature?
There are two theories to exhaust wrap-
1-The heat will be carried from one end to other,you get optimum scavenging.
2-The exhaust outlet in due course of time will get so hot (because the heat gets concentrated or trapped) that the valves may get fried in the long run,worst case may damage the engine in the long run.

Just my 10 cents.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 16th October 2015 at 15:16.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote