Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2006, 16:32   #1
BHPian

Newbie.. Help needed.

Hi All,

I am a newbie thinking of getting starting with bikes.
But I have no idea of where to start from.
I am male 22 years, 5'8'', medium built(60kg) and have no experience with bikes.
I also dont have anyone in my family nor friends where i can learn to ride.
So please tell me where to start from??
Should I first learn basic driving from somewhere(where???) and then buy a good bike(which one???) or should I first buy a light-bike(which one) and then learn on it?
I stay in South Delhi. So does anyone know any driving school here which can teach me to drive a bike?

One of my friends advised me to buy a Hero Honda Splendor and practice on it as it is a very light bike.
Some further guidance from you people here would be very appreciated...

Thanks a lot...
Old 14th August 2006, 10:07   #2
Tom
BHPian

buy a ungeared scooter first.
developing traffic sense is what is most important
Old 14th August 2006, 11:56   #3

I think buy an old RX - 100 first, its the lightest of the lot. You should get it for around 8k. Learn on it and ride it around for 3, 4months. Then you could go in for a new four stroke if you like. For a new rider like you and considering your age I suggest you go in for the TVS Apache as your second bike once you've learnt how to ride properly. It's youthful, vibrant, user-friendly, great looking and fun to ride around...

Last edited by BlowingInDaWind : 14th August 2006 at 11:59.
Old 14th August 2006, 15:36   #4
BHPian

hey dude
its good that u interested in bikes and stuff but at first u should be aware of the risks involved.
anyways i won't scare u anymore
but would like to point out one thing that start off with a ungeared scooter like activa or kinetic and then progress to a pulsar or an apache

drive safely
Old 14th August 2006, 15:55   #5
BHPian

Driving school for bikes? Though Im sure they're around I have never seen one!
The best way to learn (as most of us have) is through friends/relatives bikes..but since you dont have that option I guess buying a cheap second hand is the best way. RX 100 is defn one option, mind you though its pretty powerful. Splendor is ideal and it has a good resale value as well.

Do you really not know ANYONE who bikes? surely there must be someone..try to go this route..i think its best.
Old 14th August 2006, 20:14   #6
BHPian

Hey Acqaurian,
You do not need to go to a driving/riding school to learn riding a bike...it's simply a waste of money.

Instead, tell a friend of yours to teach you how to ride on a 100-115 cc bike, and then you can buy any bike until the 150cc capacity (I'd suggest you don't go over that).
When you own a bike, and keep riding it, you will automatically get the hang of it.

Take my instance...I bought my bike at the age of 20 with barely any riding experience. I had learnt for a coupla weeks on a friend's CD100 and the bought a Firo F2, and am totally comfortable with it.

My friend learnt how to ride a bike on my F2 and went on to buy a 150 DTSi v1, and is rocking with it.

Consider what you are looking for in your bike, and respect your bike, and she will give you all the love you need...
Old 14th August 2006, 20:31   #7
BHPian

how about a busa to start off with!!!!
Old 14th August 2006, 22:05   #8
BHPian

Thanks for your replies... They were very valuable.
Even though I have some office friends who come to office on their bikes, but they(even I, somewhat) don't have so much time to dedicate just to learn riding a bike. Weekdays are spent just on office work. Also our homes are quite far to be able to go to them to learn for a consistent time(3-4 months which u say) on weekends. But yes, i seriously want to learn biking.
Also i think for a start, if i can just learn to navigate the bike in lonely/clear areas without any traffic, I would myself be able to pick it up from there slowly and start to ride in actual city roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy82_2000
how about a busa to start off with!!!!
But, Ya... a photo of me with it wud be just perfect.

Last edited by cool.aquarian : 14th August 2006 at 22:12.
Old 14th August 2006, 22:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Buy a second hand scooty or sumthing for less than 15 k and start learnign ,even if u fall , the damages wont cost you a lot. Ride around for 6 months and thne decide what u want to buy.
BTW ,learn on open streches and not on the way to office or work .

BTW , i would like a BUSA as first bike ,but not even one has 9 lakhs in shell .

Last edited by black12rr : 14th August 2006 at 23:00.
Old 15th August 2006, 01:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr
Buy a second hand scooty or sumthing for less than 15 k and start learnign ,even if u fall , the damages wont cost you a lot. Ride around for 6 months and thne decide what u want to buy.
BTW ,learn on open streches and not on the way to office or work .

BTW , i would like a BUSA as first bike ,but not even one has 9 lakhs in shell .
Thinking of it is enuf for ya i guess...
Old 15th August 2006, 17:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

I went on a similar route to what your friends suggestion was, I bought a HH Passion (which is essentially a Splendor), and will upgrade to a bigger bike later on, once I get the hang of riding.

You still can get a 150 right off the line, but you must be a little bit more careful with it, because you say you have absolutely no experience with any kind of two wheelers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks